Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Mat Cauthon posted:

No great loss.

They’re going to murder any blacks person they see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Rust Martialis posted:

Careful before someone accuses you of homophobia

If not that then blood libel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
kim jong un said obama was "an rear end in a top hat" according to trump and lmao I do actually believe that

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This is terrific and I hope we do win the senate. Republicans had literally everything for 2 years and did nothing with it. They have zero interest in governance. So while it's a shame that the filibuster will prevent more egregious actions on their part, on the flip side the party that actually wants to govern will do so.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Faustian Bargain posted:

I will loving believe it when I see it.
It's interesting that it's a who's who of establishment and then WFP and Faiz?

quote:

Members include liberal groups like Indivisible, Communications Workers of America, Working Families Party, Brady Campaign, Demand Justice, Data for Progress, Evergreen Action, Stand Up America and Common Cause.

The advisory board features a raft of well-connected Democratic veterans with access to senators, like former Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid’s deputy chiefs of staff Bill Dauster and Adam Jentleson, Sen. Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign manager Faiz Shakir, former Obama White House aide Dana Singiser and ex-CWA president and anti-filibuster crusader Larry Cohen

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope that they do kill the filibuster for good, but I feel like they will flinch when it comes to actually pulling the trigger.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is terrific and I hope we do win the senate. Republicans had literally everything for 2 years and did nothing with it. They have zero interest in governance. So while it's a shame that the filibuster will prevent more egregious actions on their part, on the flip side the party that actually wants to govern will do so.

If the Democrats end up with a 50 or 51 seat majority, then I have some bad news for you.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I so desperately want to see the Dems fight dirty and do blatantly lovely things to the angry screams of Republicans shouting "but that's not fair!"

gently caress em, it's our turn to play banana republic

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

cr0y posted:

I so desperately want to see the Dems fight dirty and do blatantly lovely things to the angry screams of Republicans shouting "but that's not fair!"

they only do this against the left wing of their own party they will never break decorum against the GOP

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cr0y posted:

It wouldn't be though it'd be the majority using power in a democracy.

poo poo the Republicans got obliterated in midterm Senate voting and gained two seats.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Edmund Lava posted:

They’re going to murder any blacks person they see

Well obviously that's bad and we don't want that to happen so let's just hope the obvious conclusion of t bigots deciding to stay in their home with an unchecked wildfire raging all around them catches up to them before they can harm any innocent people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like how these assholes think that the "looters" are this super orginaized group that can go in and take all your electronics and knick nacs as a giant fire closes in like they are that delta force or some poo poo.

doesnt home or renters insurance cover fires or theife ? so its pointless to try to protect it ?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

PhazonLink posted:

doesnt home or renters insurance cover fires or theife ? so its pointless to try to protect it ?

Even if it didn't, if they aren't taking it when they leave its hosed regardless. And it sounds like this folks staying after the rest of the house left and took what they could.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

But then you don't get to shoot people?????

(This is what chums actually believe)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paracaidas posted:

It's interesting that it's a who's who of establishment and then WFP and Faiz?

it might happen. i feel like trump kinda ripped the mask of the idea that the GOP ever cared about anything/etc and that may have shook some of these chumps enough to realize they have to actually do poo poo instead of cosplaying the west wing, espcially since alot of folks under 45 are various stripes of progressive and leftish wing and are probably the future.

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1304551588351152129

in other good news. the murders of George floyd are turning on each other hard like the cowardly nazi fucks they are.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 12, 2020

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Also, when it comes to big disaster scenarios like this where the companies will be letting a lot of things get through without the usual pushback to keep things flowing smoothly, if you're good at documenting everything extremely thoroughly and then spend some time gaming the exact rules in your insurance contract, it's pretty easy to come out way ahead in claim money while still being 100% truthful in legal terms.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Angry_Ed posted:

In ADX Florence, Ted Kaczynski's gleeful shouts of "I KNEW IT!" echo through the halls

Edit: also between this and covering up knowledge of global warming I think we can safely say the oil industry is an existential threat to humanity.

Agreed. They’re also responsible for the interests in politics for Middle East policy

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/safeandjust/status/1304509059186470912?s=19

https://twitter.com/jaywillis/status/1304537711571861504?s=19

https://twitter.com/jaywillis/status/1304543701188796421?s=19

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it might happen. i feel like trump kinda ripped the mask of the idea that the GOP ever cared about anything/etc and that may have shook some of these chumps enough to realize they have to actually do poo poo instead of cosplaying the west wing, espcially since alot of folks under 45 are various stripes of progressive and leftish wing and are probably the future.

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1304551588351152129

in other good news. the murders of George floyd are turning on each other hard like the cowardly nazi fucks they are.

I hope Trump loses in November , and I hope he sticks around to split the Republicans trying to get him re-elected and the ones trying to keep him from ever holding office again, opening up more room to the left for actual policy changes. We're going to need a lot of time to repair the damage

And while I'm at it, I'd like a pony too

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I will be amazed if hr1 actually gets a vote and is killed by a dem senate rather than it sitting on Mitch’s desk for eternity.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Faustian Bargain posted:

I will be amazed if hr1 actually gets a vote and is killed by a dem senate rather than it sitting on Mitch’s desk for eternity.

All bills die when the new Congress sits right? So they'd make a new bill that would be the new HR1, but know that it would actually have a chance of passing?

It's going to be watered down bullshit

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Faustian Bargain posted:

Mitch doesn't have the desk in a Dem Senate

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DarkHorse posted:

I hope Trump loses in November , and I hope he sticks around to split the Republicans trying to get him re-elected and the ones trying to keep him from ever holding office again, opening up more room to the left for actual policy changes. We're going to need a lot of time to repair the damage

And while I'm at it, I'd like a pony too

more insane poo poo has happened. like trump winning and being such a loving idiot that he hosed up a plague.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

In nearly every state, there's a scale of protections - the higher you go up the ladder in terms of coverage, the more causes get covered. (Mostly in chunks tier by tier.) #1 (as in 'no policy exists without this') is fire, #2 is theft/vandalism. Basically any policy that isn't absolute total bare bones (and I mean deep into 'I refuse to pay even one penny more than required' territory because it's that drat cheap) covers both. So yes. Protecting it at the risk of their own lives is amazingly stupid.

But, as pointed out, then they don't get to shoot people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sorry but these mostly make sense to me as exceptions. especially arson.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

oh good they're just ensuring the hiring process remains racist as gently caress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if it's limited because you have to file a form and can't be a child raper then let it be limited. I was sort of hoping most of these people who were fighting fires were there for non-child-rape reasons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why am I not surprised that once again a major Dem official pushes a bill that is just tons of jumping through hoops

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The automatic exclusion list seems fine, maybe arson should have more wiggle room, I'm not sure how wide that can be, if anything it just sucks that it's not in the other direction with a series of charges that get automatically expunged. Putting that much on judges seems...questionable.

Although the really lovely thing, mentioned in another thread, is that the hiring process requires so many character references and other gatekeeping bits that it's barely going to be an option for most of them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Do you believe in punitive justice, or restorative?

If going to jail for a crime is going to give you a scarlet letter forever, lets be clear that ex-cons should be a permanent underclass. That's mostly what we seem to already be doing.

But if you're nominally a leftist or a liberal, you should have a problem with that position. And yes, that means that you have to give a second chance to some people who did really bad things. That's how the justice system should work.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sure but if you want prison reform you have to accept that the prison system rehabilitated the people and they want to be productive citizens. You’re letting these people risk their lives for free. You should give them the benefit of the doubt instead of automatically denying them basic rights.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

they might as well have just explicitly added a paper bag test if at the end of the day you need a judge's personal approval and arbitrary character references

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

prisoner firefighter stuff

This is such bullshit. Just let people with criminal records be firefighters. How hard is that?

E: Do it temporarily if you must be an rear end in a top hat about it...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stickman posted:

This is such bullshit. Just let people with criminal records be firefighters. How hard is that?

They're talking about whether records for murder and child rape should be expunged.

I don't care how good a Christian someone is if they rape children, I don't care how good they are at making music, and I don't care how good they are at fighting fires.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pick posted:

Except California has a felony murder rule (one of the dumbest concepts in criminal justice) and that would preclude someone from being able to have their record expunged as it can lead to life in prison or the death penalty.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Pick posted:

They're talking about whether records for murder and child rape should be expunged.

I don't care how good a Christian someone is if they rape children, I don't care how good they are at making music, and I don't care how good they are at fighting fires.

That might be the headline-grabbing part, but any felonies limit your ability to be a firefighter in California (especially one that actually gets paid).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Pick posted:

no forgiveness no redemption. very metal

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I mean, who better to fight fires?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Basically anybody else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Pick posted:

If they actually paid their debts to society and reformed themselves, Why not?