Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Isn't getting bank banned for crypto a very Canadian problem?

You can do whatever the hell you want with a US bank account as long as your deposits look vaguely tax-paid and you avoid 6 withdrawals a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zedprime posted:

You can do whatever the hell you want with a US bank account as long as your deposits look vaguely tax-paid and you avoid 6 withdrawals a month.

lol yeah no.

I’m tellin you banks don’t gently caress around with stuff.

It’s fine till it’s not and once it’s not you have no recourse but to find a new bank.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I went back and reread your anecdote because you can do some really obnoxiously shady stuff to the detriment of yourself and others without a US based bank caring and

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I think as long as you are keeping it under a certain amount you’ll probably be fine but that’s not to say it couldn’t trigger a fraud/ money laundering warning one day and they shut your account down.

My dad has a predominately cash based businesses and citi bank shut his account down because he paid his citi bank credit card with cash too often. He had receipts for where the cash came from but they told him to pound sand and he was banned from having a citi bank anything lol

The banks don’t gently caress around if they get a hint of money laundering/ fraud so while it’s fine today it might not be tomorrow and no one knows what that threshold is.
lol your dad got banned because they didn't want to pay to manage buckets of physical cash without a retail services account.

Banks can and should aggressively regulate shady behavior as trade experts in the absence of strong federal regulation and I would prefer if they hassled coin based transactions but the current state of things is as long as you don't trigger a federal watch point (mainly smurfing) and don't cost them money to do business the bank just says shovel more money into me. Crypto of the past few years has largely fallen into that category except for places where there are actually good regulations like Canada.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/brucefenton/status/1293959332510470145

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Now it makes sense.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Wow, the SEC is going after more fraudulent ICOs? Quelle surprise!
https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2020-207

prosecution futures

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

vortmax posted:

Wow, the SEC is going after more fraudulent ICOs? Quelle surprise!
https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2020-207

prosecution futures

Number definitely going to go up.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Breakout confirmed

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

ghosTTy posted:

Breakout confirmed

there’s medicated creams for that nowadays

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

zedprime posted:

it's mostly a Canadian thing because Canadian banks will shut you the gently caress down just for being involved in bitcoin at all, and have been doing it since bitcoin was worth like two dollars

I think banks elsewhere need to have some inkling you're using crypto to break the law first. my bank just goes ahead and assumes because wtf else are you using crypto for lol

edit: americans use crypto to hide their online gambling, in canada the online gambling is fine but the crypto might get you hosed over

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 15, 2020

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Ad by Khad posted:

it's mostly a Canadian thing because Canadian banks will shut you the gently caress down just for being involved in bitcoin at all, and have been doing it since bitcoin was worth like two dollars

I think banks elsewhere need to have some inkling you're using crypto to break the law first. my bank just goes ahead and assumes because wtf else are you using crypto for lol

edit: americans use crypto to hide their online gambling, in canada the online gambling is fine but the crypto might get you hosed over

good on them but lol at the BC housing market being housecoins for shady capital that doesn’t even want to use the houses to rent out so they can dump it at a moments notice

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SatansOnion posted:

there’s medicated creams for that nowadays
:vince:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Computer Serf posted:

good on them but lol at the BC housing market being housecoins for shady capital that doesn’t even want to use the houses to rent out so they can dump it at a moments notice

canadian houses exist. they are real. you can go there! you can go inside!

bitcoins dont exist and consume the same amount of energy as a medium-sized first-world country just to continue not existing

both of them being used as instruments of chinese money laundering don't really relate to each other tbh

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ghosTTy posted:

Breakout confirmed

Tag yourself: I'm the randomly labeled y-axis.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ad by Khad posted:

both of them being used as instruments of chinese money laundering don't really relate to each other tbh
True but I would like the RCMP to crack down even half as hard as the banks do on crypto.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I don't disagree

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Tag yourself: I'm the randomly labeled y-axis.

it's not random it's log scale (not straight up obviously but I mean some type of log scale)

edit: although lookin at it closer maybe not because some of these intervals are identical so actually idk what is goin on here

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

it's not random it's log scale (not straight up obviously but I mean some type of log scale)

edit: although lookin at it closer maybe not because some of these intervals are identical so actually idk what is goin on here

Usual ghost titty bullshit is what is going on there.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rai stones are the giant stones used as a form of currency in that one Pacific island, right? And there's one which is one the bottom of the sea because the boat transporting it sank, but it's still used and traded (or was) because everyone remembers where it is.

Basically cashless currency using collective memory instead of electronics.

I feel like one of the main fallacies of bitcoiners is that they more or less presume that currency exists independently of society.

Fun fact: many of them are on the bottom of the ocean or on other islands (or used as decoration in western banks, wtf Canada). Stealing them was A Thing folks did for a bit and they did so with lovely boats that often tipped and rolled the stone off.

Then white folks thought they were cool and stole even more for decoration.

And the neat thing about the system is that doesn’t matter!

I love rai stones and learned about em when I saw one against the wall in a branch of my bank one time.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

It's not log scale, not normal scale - it's bitcoin scale.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Ad by Khad posted:

canadian houses exist. they are real. you can go there! you can go inside!

bitcoins dont exist and consume the same amount of energy as a medium-sized first-world country just to continue not existing

:hmmwrong:

housecoin and bitcoin are almost identical

artificial scarcity
first people to show up own the supply
controlled by bankers
built on a foundation of blocks
sells for more than it costs to produce
increases in value forever
uses lots of electricity for important reasons

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Pikehead posted:

It's not log scale, not normal scale - it's bitcoin scale.

forget it, jake

it's bitcoin

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Computer Serf posted:

:hmmwrong:

housecoin and bitcoin are almost identical

artificial scarcity
first people to show up own the supply
controlled by bankers
built on a foundation of blocks
sells for more than it costs to produce
increases in value forever
uses lots of electricity for important reasons

you forgot owned by China

which is more true than some of the other things on that list

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

This aided my understanding on a level I find difficult to describe.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Fun fact: many of them are on the bottom of the ocean or on other islands (or used as decoration in western banks, wtf Canada). Stealing them was A Thing folks did for a bit and they did so with lovely boats that often tipped and rolled the stone off.

Then white folks thought they were cool and stole even more for decoration.

And the neat thing about the system is that doesn’t matter!

I love rai stones and learned about em when I saw one against the wall in a branch of my bank one time.

so was your bank one of those lovely white folks, or did they actually buy one

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Having to steal a rai stone would be a cool heist film.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

although lookin at it closer maybe not because some of these intervals are identical so actually idk what is goin on here
i think its like if you took log scale with intervals marked at points convenient to read on a graph and then adjusted the intervals to be spaced evenly in terms of pixels. making the labels neater is far higher priority than actually having the data be readable

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
wut

https://twitter.com/GovernorGordon/status/1306349561686892544?s=19

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
bitcoin has proven that when it comes to money you have to consider betting on the stupid things because they are stupid

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's wyoming, they're probably trying to convert their third world shithole funbux into real american money, so they can buy a loaf of bread

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I live in Wyoming and I honestly could not tell you a single thing Mark Gordon has done since he was elected in 2018 besides this.

I'm just like, "What was the loving point of this?"

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Cope

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

i think this may actually be kanye’s sa account at this point

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fascinating how much crossover there is between Bitcoin and incel terminology.

:thunk:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

more like Nope

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I want Uncle Ghostty to post some charts demonstrating the correlation between Bitcoin and "sexual marketplace value."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Fascinating how much crossover there is between Bitcoin and incel terminology.

:thunk:

It’s very noticeable but probably just a huge coincidence