Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Baudolino posted:

Was HL really being truthful when he said he no longer needs people to love him? You don`t break the habit of a lifetime by a one time epihany, at least it`s very rare.

He can't do it all at once but he's starting himself on the path and that should be very worrying for everybody. I think the scene at the end is HL using Doppelganger to reject his own insecurities - specifically need for outer validation and the value he places in having his public image be of an upright, virtuous superhero. If you go back and watch his confrontation with Stormfront versus the ending with Doppelganger he repeats the same words back.

HL: I score higher with every demographic! They all love me!
SF: This constant need to be loved by everyone is kind of pathetic.
HL *laser eyes*

She even points out that he spends so much time and effort and money trying to stage manage the adoration and attention she gets with basically nothing. It crack pings him but he's not dumb. HL recognizes that he has to discard the weaknesses that he holds on to in order to beat Stormfront and maintain his dominance, because in the end she's right - his way of playing the game is obsolete.

Edit: Nice touch at the end with Black Noir and the tech - there are like half a dozen Red Bull cans on her desk. He basically kept her there running scans for...days?...until they found Butcher. That's dedication.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Baudolino posted:

Was HL really being truthful when he said he no longer needs people to love him? You don`t break the habit of a lifetime by a one time epihany, at least it`s very rare.

I must confess i really love the Deep as a character, he`s not yet lost all dignity so its still fun to see him step into one rake after another. If he is to be at least partially redeemed it could be by intervening to tip the odds against stormfront in the final confrontation, at the cost of his life. It would`nt wipe clean the slate but it would mean he had at last internalized that he did a bad thing and needed to be better. That`s something at least.

His little speech to Starligth was perfect too , basically a longer version of " I can change baby, take me back". Is there any other phrase spoken more often by abusers irl? Worked often enough for my dad on my mom that`s for sure.

He's on the banner when you hit The Boys page on Amazon so, probably.

HppyCmpr posted:

This a common theme across every TVIV thread I've been in; I've just learned to accept it.

Thought people questioning the whole Stormfront thing still surprised me. :shrug:

Watching people explain away blatant racists in real life is bad enough but questioning it in a fictional character when its spelled right out for you has been something else.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baudolino posted:

His little speech to Starligth was perfect too , basically a longer version of " I can change baby, take me back". Is there any other phrase spoken more often by abusers irl? Worked often enough for my dad on my mom that`s for sure.

Not only that, he couldn't help but turn it into an innuendo in itself.

Deep, "I know my path to redemption is going to be long and hard"

Starlight, "Ugh, no"

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

thrawn527 posted:

Also, what is with this season and Billy Joel? Was he all over season 1 too and I just forgot?

Apparently Hughie mentioned Billy Joel to Robin in season 1 before she was killed. I think maybe they got a good deal on the licensing fee for his catalog.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Looking at this gif Maeve isn't really selling being terrified IMO. Maybe she assumes that HL isn't going to just belt her one in a TV studio or she's just so inured to his threats that she's over doing the performance for him but whatever subtlety they were going for isn't really showing up.

Yeah, her reaction threw me off. If I were to bet, that was improv from Anthony Starr and her reaction to it. Either way, came off lame.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Maybe a silly question, but is there some kind of site that indexes peoples' outfits on shows? I loved the tech woman's bug shirt and I would wear it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was the new ep just uploaded early? It says every Friday but I watched episode 4 yesterday evening.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

Maybe a silly question, but is there some kind of site that indexes peoples' outfits on shows? I loved the tech woman's bug shirt and I would wear it.

Probably? There are sites that exist just to catalogue the music in trailers so I'm sure someone out there is tracking fashion in TV shows and movies.

If you find it let me know, I want that sweater Frenchie had on when he finds Kimiko at the rally.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Was the new ep just uploaded early? It says every Friday but I watched episode 4 yesterday evening.

Yeah it showed up last night. I watched it around 10pm eastern.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Supreme Allah posted:

Episode 4 -- jesus

Homelanders the most looney tune crazy character I've seen in so long, I can't remember a comparison

Homelander brings a crazy amount of tension to every scene he is in (and some he isn't). His weight in a scene reminds me a lot of Tuco in Breaking Bad.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Homelander brings a crazy amount of tension to every scene he is in (and some he isn't). His weight in a scene reminds me a lot of Tuco in Breaking Bad.

Homelander is more Lalo in BCS than Tuco in BB but yeah good analogue.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mooktastical posted:

So Stormfrontis definitely Liberty. This show isn't trying to beat some prediction on Reddit ala Westworld, but laying a coherent groundwork for a hopefully satisfying payoff. I haven't seen all of Supernatural, but I like what I did see. Kripke knows how to tell a story properly.

She says 'God knows I did'. Also RE this scene: It sounded to me like she pronounced the last 'd' in 'did' with a slight German accent, almost like she was saying 'didt'. I went back after the ep ended and listened again, and I can't shake it. Anyone else notice the same thing on first viewing?

Vought is Lady Liberty calling it now.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Guys I think Homelander might actually be Stormfront .

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

But really, tell us again how Stormfront is not coded as a racist.

It's okay to feel bad for the rabid dog that needs to be put down, especially if it got rabies because its owner was a negligent sack of poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Rabid creatures can't help themselves. Homelander is a sentient being who chooses to inflict himself on people because he believes he's a god. Vought ideally wanted him controllable, so I doubt they inculcated that in him, they just went Full Montessori on him because no one in their right mind wanted to get near a superpowered kid/teenager with no moral compass.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

How Wonderful! posted:

Sherlock, Hannibal and even Doom Patrol fans were able to find the clothes used in those shows. Try asking cosplayers, those seem to be the fans that have a good eye to find the correct outfits.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

That Italian Guy posted:

But really, tell us again how Stormfront is not coded as a racist.

"I love him squirm and throwing tantrums as Stormfront puts him in his place" is the cherry on top (of the turd)

Is doom patrol still running? I injoyed a few eps but stopped watching for no reason

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rabid creatures can't help themselves. Homelander is a sentient being who chooses to inflict himself on people because he believes he's a god. Vought ideally wanted him controllable, so I doubt they inculcated that in him, they just went Full Montessori on him because no one in their right mind wanted to get near a superpowered kid/teenager with no moral compass.
I know it's a balance between sympathy and being patronizing but the show made a deliberate point to contrast Homelander's inhuman childhood with the childhood that Becca is trying to provide for her kid. It's a cut & dry nature/nurture plotline.

For myself, Homelander doesn't get a reprieve just because he had a poo poo childhood, but his poo poo childhood at least provides the context to move beyond a good/evil binary.

Also I'm buzzed so I'll be a shithead and say that arguing Homelander is evil qua evil is the more fascistic interpretation of his character :smug:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

ZZZorcerer posted:

"I love him squirm and throwing tantrums as Stormfront puts him in his place" is the cherry on top (of the turd)

Is doom patrol still running? I injoyed a few eps but stopped watching for no reason

The second season just wrapped up a few weeks ago, it was really good!

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Apologies, but what does “evil qua evil” mean?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

This happens sometimes. I remember my wife and I waiting desperately for Good Omens to go live and it ended up being available several hours early. Do they use midnight GMT or something?

OK so I read most of this thread but not all of it and here I am just finishing S2E4 and here are random thoughts. This will be long deal with it.

First of all I agree with everyone about all the amazing performances in this show. The casting and acting is just awesome. I also love the direction and cinematography. Most importantly, as others have said, this show is REALLY uncomfortable to watch most of the time. The gore doesn't bother me but there's always this dread that anyone can just suddenly die any second and they do it just often enough that it keeps me on edge whenever I'm watching. I've never watched a show that made me feel that way before. Mad props to the showrunners for pulling this off.

I also love all the little details they put in the background and in the costumes and sets. Some of this stuff I noticed myself and other bits I picked up itt. I really should go back and watch everything all over again to see what else I may have missed. The people making this show really give a poo poo about the quality of all the minutiae and I love it.

I was really hoping that Ryan wouldn't have the same super powers HL has. I know we saw glowing eyes at the end of S1 but it was really stupid for HL to assume that Ryan was literally a clone and had all the same powers. Maybe he has laser eyes but that's all? I was kind of hoping that they would somehow show the extent of Ryan's powers and he'd be way less powerful than HL thought and HL would get disappointed and disown Ryan or something.

I'm glad Becca called out Butcher for his blanket anti-supe bullshit and while it's sad, it's also showing how hosed up Butcher is that he wants his wife to give up her kid and share the same supe hate that he does. Now he has literally nothing left and he's either going to go in even harder on HL or he's going to find a way to try to kill Ryan and make it look like an accident so Becca will take him back. I also find it interesting that in the same episode where Butcher loses the only thing he clings to for comfort, so does HL. HL goes total narcissist and now everyone including Edgar should be scared shitless because now nobody holds and sway over him at all. If HL is being totally honest then there is nothing that anyone can give him that he can't give himself. He is absolutely going to start killing a ton of people including Vought executives and not care at all because he doesn't want the money and status and fame anymore.

I thought it was kinda lovely that the reason HL didn't kill Butcher is because of Becca threatening to kill herself in front of Ryan and tell him it was HL's fault. I really like the idea of HL being a sadist who wants to emotionally torture Butcher much better. I mean it's cool character building for Becca and I appreciate that but I prefer she didn't have to do that.

I still don't understand Starlight and Hughie. They have never sat down and explained anything to each other. Hughie lied to and used Starlight more than once, almost getting her killed, Butcher also shoots her in the chest with a .50cal and Hughie runs off with Butcher instead of staying with Starlight and trying to help her? And she still somehow forgives him? None of that makes any sense.

Speaking of bad communication, The Boys seem to never talk to each other. Ever. I can't count how many times I've yelled at my screen "Hey maybe you should have had a conversation about this already!" Then Butcher shows up out of nowhere and declares everyone follow whatever harebrained bullshit scheme he has and nobody ever refuses to go anywhere until Butcher explains himself. They've all been hosed over so many times that none of them should ever trust him until he comes clean with all the details first. They are all stupid as gently caress to continue to follow him. Their revenge isn't worth suffering through his abuse and guessing games.

I also don't understand anything between A-Train and Starlight. A-Train absolutely could have killed her at any point if he wanted to and I can't see what Starlight could have done about it. Her threats about "I'll bring you down with me" shouldn't have resonated with him at all and if anyone can explain it to me I'd love to be set straight.

I don't understand what was going on with Kimiko and Kenji either. Until she finds him, he's apparently all she thinks about and he's the only thing she has left and he means the world to her. Then after he declares that he wants to fight back against the 7 and America in general I have no idea why she would want to try to keep him from doing that or at least leaving The Boys to go with him and try to work on convincing him to change his mind. Frenchie was nice to her and all but she should be loyal to her brother first and foremost. It's not like him fighting imperialist fascists is something she should be against. Maybe she just wanted to stop fighting in general and just go home to hang out but at this point there really isn't any going back and it's weird that she chose to basically betray the person she cares about the most and turn him into the CIA where he will absolutely be tortured.

I'm with everyone who's already over The Deep being just a joke segment every episode. If he's going to get a redemption arc let's get it going. It doesn't have to be a fast one and I'm cool with it being 2 steps forward 1 step back all over the place but the Scientology angle is really lovely and I loathe the cult leader woman and I hate that the Deep isn't just telling them all to gently caress off. If he's not going to get a redemption arc then I'd prefer that he just go full-on eco-terrorist and have the 7 kill him than continue with what they're doing. I don't even find any of it funny. It's just sad and pathetic. The only time I laughed at any of his Ohio exile nonsense is when he was pushing the grocery cart and all it had in there were Doritos and kids cereals and soda and other junk food. That was hilarious.

This is going to be super nerdy but it really bothers me that we haven't seen more supes fighting each other and that we haven't really seen what anyone is truly capable of with their powers. I know the writers probably want to reveal this stuff slowly but I really want to know who can beat who or at least have a guess. Especially Maeve vs. Homelander. She's afraid of him but she's also one of the only people to stand up to him. I'm not sure she could take him down one on one but I want to know how much help she might need to do it. I really think HL can't truly be killed by conventional means so they'll have to find a way to subdue and imprison him somehow although I have no idea how you'd do that and it would probably involve a ton of trial and error and costs dozens of supe lives.

With Stormfront I really hope they explain what happened in the last 50 years because that's a huge history gap between being Liberty and being Stormfront and there is no way that Vought doesn't know about all that. I see why they hired her from a capitalistic perspective but not from the obviously hilariously racist angle.

It's weird to me that nobody on the show has mentioned a Homelander failsafe yet. Clearly the showrunners read the comics and even if the Black Noir angle isn't the way they want to go they have to have written down something because there is no way Vought didn't think of that. There's no way. I know you can't reveal something like that too soon because it takes away from the terror HL strikes in people but I really hope it's not something that Vought is only just now thinking of. From an ultra-greedy capitalist perspective there is no way they would leave that huge risk open.

My one stupid fan theory: Butcher will find out that he's a supe, but a low power one. His super power will be Silver Tongue or something like it. Not mind control but an amplified ability to persuade people by talking. Not only would that completely ruin him as a supe-hater but it would also explain how all of his awful speeches actually convince anyone to listen to him. I thought the Spice Girls speech was funny just like everyone else but if I were Frenchie or MM I would've just walked away because are you loving kidding me. I would love it if it turns out that people didn't follow him because they shared a common goal but because he can just convince people to do so by talking to them for long enough.

Nitpicky poo poo but gently caress it I hate stuff like this:

There is literally no way The Deep got from Ohio to NY in the span of like an hour or two, even if he found the fastest sea creatures to take him through the Great Lakes as fast as possible. I know there are things in this show where you're not supposed to ask questions but that was just dumb. They could've done better.

How the hell did HL hear Becca's conversation with the medical facility doctor? I tried to think of anything plausible given his super senses and whatever but there's just no way unless he somehow had everything everywhere bugged, including Becca herself. Dumb.

The 7 having tracking chips in them has been in my mind since they first mentioned it in S1 and they only ever talk about it or care about it in cherry picked situations. It's not consistent at all and there have been a bunch of times when Vought could have gone to get someone or called them or sent someone to check on them. If there's a way to jam the signal that's fine but nobody ever mentions it. That really annoying to me. It's also completely ridiculous that certain people are shown explicitly using burner phones to dodge tracking and yet apparently the 7 have personal phones that aren't tapped/bugged by Vought? There is no way in hell they would allow that.

The security in this compound where Becca and Ryan live really sucks. Butcher climbed over the wall, a security camera saw him, and yet he was able to go to Becca's house, break into her car (with another camera right nearby) and sit there and wait for her, and nothing happened. No guards came. Nobody did anything. I know they needed to have Butcher and Becca reunite briefly but they could have done that with a little more Solid Snake Butcher and less of him just being magical Butcher and doing whatever with nobody noticing.

There is no way Butcher managed to sneak a .50cal rifle into a public park to shoot Starlight, even under that big coat. Just lmfao at that stupid poo poo and there's no way they got away from that clean either but oh well.

All that said, this show is great and I love it flaws and all. I'll be watching it until the end or until it jumps the shark.

Oh and Take 5 is the best candy bar.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Kwatz posted:

Apologies, but what does “evil qua evil” mean?
like "evil as such"

Homelander is just "evil", no further explanation needed

idk i read Waiting for Godot once and it was a word there

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

That’s a lot of letters and words drat

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Apparently Hughie mentioned Billy Joel to Robin in season 1 before she was killed. I think maybe they got a good deal on the licensing fee for his catalog.

His last words to her were "Don't you ever besmirch Billy Joel"

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Starks posted:

That’s a lot of letters and words drat

dude its like two uncommon letters and then the "alpha" in alphabet

edit:
oh you mean Elephant Ambush

i mean let's just all exalt in their enjoyment of the show ok

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gotta dole this out over the course of a week so we can argue more in between episodes.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Elephant Ambush posted:

*pages of niggling nitpick too numerous to even hope to begin to address*

Elephant Ambush posted:

that said, this show is great

Owch, my loving neck.

Edit: frig, I am trying to find a way to engage with that post, but I just can't.

It's a monolith.

Don't quit being you, Elphbush.

Maybe some screencaps or gifs next time?

Edit 2: re: the chips and security: it's pretty clear they have the same issue the NSA does: more info than they can process, let alone act on

I mean, poo poo, one tech starts chasing a thread, and they got Butcher located.

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 12, 2020

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

unlimited shrimp posted:

like "evil as such"

Homelander is just "evil", no further explanation needed

idk i read Waiting for Godot once and it was a word there

Thank you! I’m too burned out from work to figure anything out.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Kwatz posted:

Thank you! I’m too burned out from work to figure anything out.

But if that's what those words mean (evil qal evil or whatever), they're dumb.

People do poo poo for reasons. Not always, or even often, for good reasons, or known reasons, but yeah.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm kind of surprised that the one thing no one really talks about is the way Butcher just "gently caress you, got mine"'d out on the rest of The Boys and did so deliberately when the only one around was MM, who wouldn't try beating his rear end for it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I'm kind of surprised that the one thing no one really talks about is the way Butcher just "gently caress you, got mine"'d out on the rest of The Boys and did so deliberately when the only one around was MM, who wouldn't try beating his rear end for it.

(speculation)After Black Noir gets the hideout from Becca I’m sure they’ll be pissed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

It's what I've come to expect from Butcher

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My prediction for the trailer scene of homelander lasering a crowd is that he's actually sweeping above the crowd to cut off all their signs that they are protesting with.

Still an outburst, more salvageable

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I just chalked it up to sloppy writing because it was so amicable.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

unlimited shrimp posted:

Well, he legit got what he didn't know he wanted, in a roundabout fashion.

Like, if your cell leader was there to avenge his wife's death, and finds out she is alive, you really gonna fault him for outing?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Yes.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I mean I can see giving him a pat on the shoulder & best wishes but I would never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, let him back in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

unlimited shrimp posted:

I don't think so, because the look on his face isn't a happy one. My read on it was that he was just kind of stunned by the way Butcher just up and leaves, just tossing everything down into his lap telling him it was his problem now more or less.

BrotherJayne posted:

Well, he legit got what he didn't know he wanted, in a roundabout fashion.

Like, if your cell leader was there to avenge his wife's death, and finds out she is alive, you really gonna fault him for outing?

I dunno, in the episode with Kimiko's brother they seemed to be getting fed up with him until he pulled that out and he got them back on his side with the sob story and the usual "You help me, I help you". They helped him.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't understand what was going on with Kimiko and Kenji either. Until she finds him, he's apparently all she thinks about and he's the only thing she has left and he means the world to her. Then after he declares that he wants to fight back against the 7 and America in general I have no idea why she would want to try to keep him from doing that or at least leaving The Boys to go with him and try to work on convincing him to change his mind. Frenchie was nice to her and all but she should be loyal to her brother first and foremost. It's not like him fighting imperialist fascists is something she should be against. Maybe she just wanted to stop fighting in general and just go home to hang out but at this point there really isn't any going back and it's weird that she chose to basically betray the person she cares about the most and turn him into the CIA where he will absolutely be tortured.

It's less that he's fighting back against America and more that he's doing it under the banner of the Shining Light Liberation Army guys that Kimiko is upset about. They're the ones who murdered their parents and turned them into child soldiers, so it's basically a Stockholm Syndrome situation. I don't think she gives a poo poo about his targets, but she obviously has reason to feel betrayed by Kenji teaming up with the people who were directly responsible for the catalyzing event behind all of their trauma and suffering.

BrotherJayne posted:

But if that's what those words mean (evil qal evil or whatever), they're dumb.

People do poo poo for reasons. Not always, or even often, for good reasons, or known reasons, but yeah.

That's what he was saying - that writing Homelander off as "just evil" is lazy and kinda boring. The show is explicitly asking the nature / nurture question by contrasting Homelander's upbringing with his son's, but it seems pretty obvious that the intention is to contextualize his evil, not justify it. He's not a sympathetic character - he's a pitiful one.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

This happens sometimes. I remember my wife and I waiting desperately for Good Omens to go live and it ended up being available several hours early. Do they use midnight GMT or something?

OK so I read most of this thread but not all of it and here I am just finishing S2E4 and here are random thoughts. This will be long deal with it.

First of all I agree with everyone about all the amazing performances in this show. The casting and acting is just awesome. I also love the direction and cinematography. Most importantly, as others have said, this show is REALLY uncomfortable to watch most of the time. The gore doesn't bother me but there's always this dread that anyone can just suddenly die any second and they do it just often enough that it keeps me on edge whenever I'm watching. I've never watched a show that made me feel that way before. Mad props to the showrunners for pulling this off.

I also love all the little details they put in the background and in the costumes and sets. Some of this stuff I noticed myself and other bits I picked up itt. I really should go back and watch everything all over again to see what else I may have missed. The people making this show really give a poo poo about the quality of all the minutiae and I love it.

I was really hoping that Ryan wouldn't have the same super powers HL has. I know we saw glowing eyes at the end of S1 but it was really stupid for HL to assume that Ryan was literally a clone and had all the same powers. Maybe he has laser eyes but that's all? I was kind of hoping that they would somehow show the extent of Ryan's powers and he'd be way less powerful than HL thought and HL would get disappointed and disown Ryan or something.

I'm glad Becca called out Butcher for his blanket anti-supe bullshit and while it's sad, it's also showing how hosed up Butcher is that he wants his wife to give up her kid and share the same supe hate that he does. Now he has literally nothing left and he's either going to go in even harder on HL or he's going to find a way to try to kill Ryan and make it look like an accident so Becca will take him back. I also find it interesting that in the same episode where Butcher loses the only thing he clings to for comfort, so does HL. HL goes total narcissist and now everyone including Edgar should be scared shitless because now nobody holds and sway over him at all. If HL is being totally honest then there is nothing that anyone can give him that he can't give himself. He is absolutely going to start killing a ton of people including Vought executives and not care at all because he doesn't want the money and status and fame anymore.

I thought it was kinda lovely that the reason HL didn't kill Butcher is because of Becca threatening to kill herself in front of Ryan and tell him it was HL's fault. I really like the idea of HL being a sadist who wants to emotionally torture Butcher much better. I mean it's cool character building for Becca and I appreciate that but I prefer she didn't have to do that.

I still don't understand Starlight and Hughie. They have never sat down and explained anything to each other. Hughie lied to and used Starlight more than once, almost getting her killed, Butcher also shoots her in the chest with a .50cal and Hughie runs off with Butcher instead of staying with Starlight and trying to help her? And she still somehow forgives him? None of that makes any sense.

Speaking of bad communication, The Boys seem to never talk to each other. Ever. I can't count how many times I've yelled at my screen "Hey maybe you should have had a conversation about this already!" Then Butcher shows up out of nowhere and declares everyone follow whatever harebrained bullshit scheme he has and nobody ever refuses to go anywhere until Butcher explains himself. They've all been hosed over so many times that none of them should ever trust him until he comes clean with all the details first. They are all stupid as gently caress to continue to follow him. Their revenge isn't worth suffering through his abuse and guessing games.

I also don't understand anything between A-Train and Starlight. A-Train absolutely could have killed her at any point if he wanted to and I can't see what Starlight could have done about it. Her threats about "I'll bring you down with me" shouldn't have resonated with him at all and if anyone can explain it to me I'd love to be set straight.

I'm with everyone who's already over The Deep being just a joke segment every episode. If he's going to get a redemption arc let's get it going. It doesn't have to be a fast one and I'm cool with it being 2 steps forward 1 step back all over the place but the Scientology angle is really lovely and I loathe the cult leader woman and I hate that the Deep isn't just telling them all to gently caress off. If he's not going to get a redemption arc then I'd prefer that he just go full-on eco-terrorist and have the 7 kill him than continue with what they're doing. I don't even find any of it funny. It's just sad and pathetic. The only time I laughed at any of his Ohio exile nonsense is when he was pushing the grocery cart and all it had in there were Doritos and kids cereals and soda and other junk food. That was hilarious.

This is going to be super nerdy but it really bothers me that we haven't seen more supes fighting each other and that we haven't really seen what anyone is truly capable of with their powers. I know the writers probably want to reveal this stuff slowly but I really want to know who can beat who or at least have a guess. Especially Maeve vs. Homelander. She's afraid of him but she's also one of the only people to stand up to him. I'm not sure she could take him down one on one but I want to know how much help she might need to do it. I really think HL can't truly be killed by conventional means so they'll have to find a way to subdue and imprison him somehow although I have no idea how you'd do that and it would probably involve a ton of trial and error and costs dozens of supe lives.

With Stormfront I really hope they explain what happened in the last 50 years because that's a huge history gap between being Liberty and being Stormfront and there is no way that Vought doesn't know about all that. I see why they hired her from a capitalistic perspective but not from the obviously hilariously racist angle.

It's weird to me that nobody on the show has mentioned a Homelander failsafe yet. Clearly the showrunners read the comics and even if the Black Noir angle isn't the way they want to go they have to have written down something because there is no way Vought didn't think of that. There's no way. I know you can't reveal something like that too soon because it takes away from the terror HL strikes in people but I really hope it's not something that Vought is only just now thinking of. From an ultra-greedy capitalist perspective there is no way they would leave that huge risk open.

My one stupid fan theory: Butcher will find out that he's a supe, but a low power one. His super power will be Silver Tongue or something like it. Not mind control but an amplified ability to persuade people by talking. Not only would that completely ruin him as a supe-hater but it would also explain how all of his awful speeches actually convince anyone to listen to him. I thought the Spice Girls speech was funny just like everyone else but if I were Frenchie or MM I would've just walked away because are you loving kidding me. I would love it if it turns out that people didn't follow him because they shared a common goal but because he can just convince people to do so by talking to them for long enough.

Nitpicky poo poo but gently caress it I hate stuff like this:

There is literally no way The Deep got from Ohio to NY in the span of like an hour or two, even if he found the fastest sea creatures to take him through the Great Lakes as fast as possible. I know there are things in this show where you're not supposed to ask questions but that was just dumb. They could've done better.

How the hell did HL hear Becca's conversation with the medical facility doctor? I tried to think of anything plausible given his super senses and whatever but there's just no way unless he somehow had everything everywhere bugged, including Becca herself. Dumb.

The 7 having tracking chips in them has been in my mind since they first mentioned it in S1 and they only ever talk about it or care about it in cherry picked situations. It's not consistent at all and there have been a bunch of times when Vought could have gone to get someone or called them or sent someone to check on them. If there's a way to jam the signal that's fine but nobody ever mentions it. That really annoying to me. It's also completely ridiculous that certain people are shown explicitly using burner phones to dodge tracking and yet apparently the 7 have personal phones that aren't tapped/bugged by Vought? There is no way in hell they would allow that.

The security in this compound where Becca and Ryan live really sucks. Butcher climbed over the wall, a security camera saw him, and yet he was able to go to Becca's house, break into her car (with another camera right nearby) and sit there and wait for her, and nothing happened. No guards came. Nobody did anything. I know they needed to have Butcher and Becca reunite briefly but they could have done that with a little more Solid Snake Butcher and less of him just being magical Butcher and doing whatever with nobody noticing.

There is no way Butcher managed to sneak a .50cal rifle into a public park to shoot Starlight, even under that big coat. Just lmfao at that stupid poo poo and there's no way they got away from that clean either but oh well.

All that said, this show is great and I love it flaws and all. I'll be watching it until the end or until it jumps the shark.

SIr, this is a Tony Cicero's