Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

SIr, this is a Tony Cicero's

*scribbles 20 paragraphs of nitpicks on the back of a child's menu before I forget them*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Nuebot posted:

I dunno, in the episode with Kimiko's brother they seemed to be getting fed up with him until he pulled that out and he got them back on his side with the sob story and the usual "You help me, I help you". They helped him.

But Butcher is so clearly a person driven, and the circumstances clearly cut the legs out from under him. Like, yeah, he's a loving rear end in a top hat for just up and outing, but he's always been a loving rear end in a top hat.

I guess what I'm saying is that I get MM's response, as it was in line with mine. Like, clearly disappointed, but not about to start throwing fists or some such.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

PostNouveau posted:

*scribbles 20 paragraphs of nitpicks on the back of a child's menu before I forget them*

No, please stick around for endless pasta!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep thinking his name is Milk Man rather than Mothers MIlk, mostly because why he's called Mother's Milk in the comics is just gross.

Tony Cicero that Butcher was left at looks a lot like a area around the Toronto Convention Center the second time I saw it, but then there are a lot of places around here that look like that.

Homelander Killing the shapeshifter actually cuts off a lot of possible issues. I've been people speculate that Voight was going to use them to replace someone like Mallory or the Senator or one of the Boys, but they're dead so that cannot happen. Though I am glad they added a thing where they couldn't hold the shape forever. I always hated shape shifters that are completely infallible. Anyways, they're dead so no worries there

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like that they keep using Tony Cicero. That's where they killed translucent too

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I like(d) that they found a way to bring Elizabeth Shue back. :swoon:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I also don't understand anything between A-Train and Starlight. A-Train absolutely could have killed her at any point if he wanted to and I can't see what Starlight could have done about it. Her threats about "I'll bring you down with me" shouldn't have resonated with him at all and if anyone can explain it to me I'd love to be set straight.

There's a few things going on there:

-A-Train tried to kill Starlight. That's what put him in a coma, and he seems in even worse shape now.

-Starlight did save his life (which she quickly reminds him of) and he does seem conflicted about that.

-Starlight is right that any story he could tell about her would probably get him killed or kicked out of the 7 himself. If HL finds out The Boys escaped because Starlight overpowered him, he's hosed, and if Vought (who's hunting for the Compound V leak) finds out he was addicted or had any role in distributing it, he's also hosed.

I did notice the same thing about The Deep's 30 minute voyage from Ohio to NYC. Maybe he rode Daenarys's dragon?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A train could physically kill Starlight but remember his prime motivation is staying on the team, it's not a good look.

I'm not going to quote the poster who made a really long post cause I'm on mobile, but regarding the seven having tracking chips- what would vought even do to "check up" on them? They're superheroes, several of them can travel at Mach speed, when they're in the field for the most part you stay out of their way lest you get pasted. The tracking chips are only really useful in situations one is incapacitated and you need to find them or knowing where they've been after the fact.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 12, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

There's a few things going on there:

-A-Train tried to kill Starlight. That's what put him in a coma, and he seems in even worse shape now.

-Starlight did save his life (which she quickly reminds him of) and he does seem conflicted about that.

-Starlight is right that any story he could tell about her would probably get him killed or kicked out of the 7 himself. If HL finds out The Boys escaped because Starlight overpowered him, he's hosed, and if Vought (who's hunting for the Compound V leak) finds out he was addicted or had any role in distributing it, he's also hosed.

I did notice the same thing about The Deep's 30 minute voyage from Ohio to NYC. Maybe he rode Daenarys's dragon?

She also mentioned dropping Popclaws autopsy report showing she was murdered.

massive spider posted:

I'm not going to quote the poster who made a really long post cause I'm on mobile, but regarding the seven having tracking chips- what would vought even do to "check up" on them? They're superheroes, for the most part you stay out of their way lest you get pasted. The tracking chips are only really useful in situations one is incapacitated and you need to find them.

Translucent used to go on benders and go missing for days. Remember they didn't immediately start looking for him when he went missing cause it's happened before.

e- Also to that long rear end post regarding the tracking chips;

they did find a way to block it. they blocked translucents signal until part of the metal lining tore away.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 12, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I'm kind of surprised that the one thing no one really talks about is the way Butcher just "gently caress you, got mine"'d out on the rest of The Boys and did so deliberately when the only one around was MM, who wouldn't try beating his rear end for it.

As noted above, Butcher is a grade-a rear end in a top hat, and I honestly expected Butcher would just farm the intelligence gathering to, I guess Hughie, and take the OG gang with him to bust Voight skulls etc.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Homelander is like Tony Soprano without the chill moments. I'm always just waiting for things to go south out of nowhere and then someone is dead.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Toni Starr has the most insane facial expressions. Dude should be given all the Emmys for playing Homelander. He’s scary as gently caress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like the whale didn't work in the same way the Dolphins did. The dolphin scene was darkly hilarious and I was just laughing my rear end off, but the whale was the same gag all over again, this time with this drawn out focus on how much the whale was suffering with the moaning and trying to move it's tail. And it's a long scene too. I was just like "JFC just end this scene already please." Then 2 minutes later Stormfront does her racist murder spree. I really don' mind graphic violence or any of that poo poo. Honestly I feel like it's part of the shows charm in some weird way. But at that point I was kind of like "allright I get it. You're edgy AF calm down The Boys "

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gonz posted:

Toni Starr has the most insane facial expressions. Dude should be given all the Emmys for playing Homelander. He’s scary as gently caress.

He really is the best performance on the show and the only reason I started watching it in the first place was that Karl Urban was in it. I both anticipate and dread every scene with Homelander and it's mostly because he is so good at playing an unhinged weirdo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Too much Billy Joel in this season imo. Otherwise I like it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Billy Joel sucks rear end.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I like Billy Joel and even I thought it was excessive.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

Yestermoment posted:

I just want to know if Vogelbaum will ever show up again. I love me some Dr. Rawls.

probably not since that news report in one episode said he was in 'an accident' that left him completely paralyzed and in seclusion, which just makes me think homelander iced him too but they didn't' have a good explanation like billy butcher lying around for that one.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I enjoyed that an episode where the theme was clearly love with half the characters getting their bone on ended with homelander going it alone.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It was gross when Frenchie tried to kiss Kimiko.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Agreed. Gross as hell.

This is the second show I’ve watched in 12 hours where whoever is making the fake memes in certain scenes clearly has no idea how memes work. I think maybe one of the ones I saw works as an actual meme. (the other show was new Hulu series WOKE, the most timely show of 2015)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

God, for all the many many lovely things Homelander does constantly, outing Maeve on national TV was particularly gross.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Panfilo posted:

It's not like it paid off. She shoved his head into a wall lol.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

"It's not even gay if it's with yourself"

Give Toni Starr every award

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really hope Frenchie doesn't end up winning Kimiko over, his obsession with her is unhealthy.

Great episode, Homelander made me flinch twice, once when he outed Maeve and again when he pulled that scarily abusive husband almost-punch at her.

It's weird but I kinda feel like this show is kind of naive about its racism in today's world. Like, I don't buy anymore that a Super in the 50s would need damage control over beating an innocent black man to death over a trumped up crime. Hell, I could see Stormfront flat out stating the people in the apartment building were 'caught in the crossfire' or 'tried to help the terrorist' and she had to do what she did. But I guess it's nice if the show doesn't get too dark and real.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Boofy posted:

probably not since that news report in one episode said he was in 'an accident' that left him completely paralyzed and in seclusion, which just makes me think homelander iced him too but they didn't' have a good explanation like billy butcher lying around for that one.

Homelander says he "squeezed him" which is a turn of phrase in context but I take it literal and the dude got hugged to spinebreaking near death. I think it's deliberately left open though

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

davidspackage posted:

I really hope Frenchie doesn't end up winning Kimiko over, his obsession with her is unhealthy.

Great episode, Homelander made me flinch twice, once when he outed Maeve and again when he pulled that scarily abusive husband almost-punch at her.

It's weird but I kinda feel like this show is kind of naive about its racism in today's world. Like, I don't buy anymore that a Super in the 50s would need damage control over beating an innocent black man to death over a trumped up crime. Hell, I could see Stormfront flat out stating the people in the apartment building were 'caught in the crossfire' or 'tried to help the terrorist' and she had to do what she did. But I guess it's nice if the show doesn't get too dark and real.

It's not like Stormfront would have any need to explain anything in the building. "The terrorist did it" ~fin~

The only reason she'd need an excuse is if there were witnesses, which she handled 59 times.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
True, and I forgot that she turns it to her advantage, since the crowd she speaks to have signs about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Agreed. Gross as hell.

This is the second show I’ve watched in 12 hours where whoever is making the fake memes in certain scenes clearly has no idea how memes work. I think maybe one of the ones I saw works as an actual meme. (the other show was new Hulu series WOKE, the most timely show of 2015)

Only the finest and most bespoke of image macros for my haughty king!

This is nonsense. They are image macros, they work as memes. Not all .jpegs are artisanaly crafted by memesmiths and photoshopped to smooth perfection.

Like of all the complaints about the show “the memes didn’t look quite right” seems like the most nonsensical to me. They look... they look just like memes! I’ve been terminally online since I was like 16 years old and I have plumed the arctic depths of memery, but these memes didn’t whittle down the volume of their dropshadow in Adobe before compressing it so they are TRASH!!

Just lmao

The Frenchie//Kimiko smooch was gross and misogynistic as hell, and the show goes out of its way to make sure you know Frenchie, Kimiko, and Frenchie’s fuckbuddy all know it, including Frenchie regretting it and feeling really sad about it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
It's amazing how good this show is without almost any action in an episode. It really shows superheros punch em ups are almost the worst thing about superhero movies and shows

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well most superhero shows are about two supes fighting. The Boyz is explicitly about what happens when someone who can benchprench a city bus decides to turn a room full of people into a fine red mist, which takes way less time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Like of all the complaints about the show “the memes didn’t look quite right” seems like the most nonsensical to me. They look... they look just like memes! I’ve been terminally online since I was like 16 years old and I have plumed the arctic depths of memery, but these memes didn’t whittle down the volume of their dropshadow in Adobe before compressing it so they are TRASH!!

Just lmao

I liked the detail in the guys-on-segways meme of the crudely blotted out original text.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

davidspackage posted:

It's doubly creepy when you consider that the are basically super celebrities who can get away with anything. Think about how many people worship David Bowie and overlook the fact that he was a drug addicted Nazi worshiping pedophile who slept with 13 year olds, for example.

Speaking of Tuco, it feels like Giancarlo is basically playing the same character from Breaking Bad, and I love it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Got a nasty feeling that the show is spinning its wheels.

No sense that anyone is moving towards a goal or overcoming any obstacles, shifting power dynamics or making any meaningful change. Billy, Homelander, etc. are still cunts, lots of edgy gore with minor characters, but Stillwell is IIRC the only major character to have died in the entire series and still got to come back (in spirit) and do more of the same old creepy milk stuff. (Guess we could charitably count Jennifer Esposito?) Compund V being exposed felt like it'd be a game changer but they've managed to gloss over that in a big way.

If this is just It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia But With Super Powers, then fair enough I guess. I was just hoping for more of a narrative for half a season of a drama.

Curious what the comics would've done by now, though I guess they're on distinctly different story tracks by now?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Frenchie railed a Roxy 30 right before he tried the (stupid and disrespectful) kiss so I'm guessing he had the over the top opiate feeling-hyperexpression roaring in his head

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I mean it wasn’t meant to be a super serious angry criticism :shrug: but definitely “SHE HAS NO SYMPATHY / FOR BITCHES” is not how impact font memes work

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean it wasn’t meant to be a super serious angry criticism :shrug: but definitely “SHE HAS NO SYMPATHY / FOR BITCHES” is not how impact font memes work

Is there some central authority that decides what is and isn't proper in memes?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, me, mothafuckaaaa

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Given Homelander passed his abilities down to his kid, seems fairly obvious Stormfront is not Liberty but instead is her daughter, right?

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The World Inferno posted:

Given Homelander passed his abilities down to his kid, seems fairly obvious Stormfront is not Liberty but instead is her daughter, right?

How are people this loving bad at reading obvious clues and blatant statements?

Stormfront is Liberty