Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

It's been a hell of a year but not even the hellscape of COVID-19, a second Donald Trump term or a new Justin Bieber album can stop the greatest fighting tournament known to man, the G1 Climax 2020! Even with a depleted roster Harold Meij's private boat has grabbed the top gaijin to ensure the lineup remains stacked with a godly A block full of the best wrestlers in the world and a chaotic B block full of messy bitches that live for drama. So for the second year in a row we'll be running the G1 Climax prediction contest and this year there's an extra special reason to get involved. Whichever goon is determined to have the most freshest of scoops will receive a $15 gift card for Amazon/Steam/other preferred online store or if preferred I will make a $15 donation to their charity of choice

Rules of the G1
  • The G1 is a round-robin tournament featuring the 19 best heavyweights in NJPW and Yujiro Takahashi
  • Wrestlers are split into two blocks of ten, every wrestler faces every other wrestler in his block and the two block winners then meet in the final to determine the winner.
  • Matches are contested under a 30-minute time limit except for the final which is one fall to a finish.
  • In block matches wrestlers score two points for every win or one point for a time-limit draw. Double DQs and count-outs are treated as a loss for both parties.
  • In the event of a tie in points at the top of a block after all matches are complete the block winner will be decided based on head-to-head results between all wrestlers involved in the tie.
  • The final winner of the G1 Climax earns a shot at the IWGP Heavyweight champion in the Tokyo Dome at Wrestle Kingdom, although they will need to defend this title shot against anyone who beat them over the course of the tournament.

Rules of the G1 Prediction Game

We're gonna be submissions a little bit different this year. I have still put together a template that you can transfer to your spreadsheet program of choice to work out your predictions and sharing your templates in thread is encouraged. However, all entries must be submitted via Google Form. Copying over everyone's entries into a spreadsheet was a nightmare last year and we only have 10 days so this will be way faster. Please note that templates posted in thread WILL NOT be valid entries without a submitted Google Form.

Entries to the contest will be closed 24 hours before the start of Night 1. Points will be scored as follows:
  • Correctly predicting a winner of a block match: 2 points
  • Incorrectly predicting a winner of a block match: 0 points
  • Correctly predicting a draw in a block match: 8 points
  • Incorrectly predicting a draw in a block match: -8 points
  • Correctly predicting a wrestler’s final points total: 5 points
  • Correctly predicting a block winner: 10 points
  • Correctly predicting the winner of the G1 Climax: 20 points

In the event of a tie the winner will be decided by whoever can guess closest to how many G1 matches will receive enough votes to be declared MOTYCs in the 2020 MOTY thread

It's going to be an incredible month of wrestling so everybody let's work hard, have fun and show our FIGHTING SPIRITU!!!~

G1 Climax 30 schedule

Rarity fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm just being dumb, but there doesn't seem to be any option for predicting a draw in that google form.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Maybe I'm just being dumb, but there doesn't seem to be any option for predicting a draw in that google form.

The google form is trying to protect you.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

If you’re predicting a draw, you are being dumb, yes.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look, I've accepted long ago that there is nothing in this world that will protect me from being embarrassingly wrong about something.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's going to be a draw heavy year. Yano has a title, King of Pro-Wrestling, and they got to protect that and book him strong. He's going 0-0-9

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cerebral Bore posted:

No I'm the dumb one, will fix it now :doh:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I haven't been following NJPW too well this year but I'm still gonna ace this prediction contest just like I did last year

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Definintely looking to improve on my 4th from last year, much as my heart beats Taichi I know I shouldn't pick him for each match.

Also don't tip Okada/Ospreay to go a draw, that proper hosed me last time

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Me rn:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hyped to be completely wrong

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I've learnt over the years that it's foolish to bet against Kazuchika Okada and I have him sweeping A Block after a couple of early stumbles against Kota Ibushi and Jay White, who starts strong with wins over all the top names but falls apart against spoilers in the final days. Will Ospreay ends up as Okada's closest competition but can't put his Chaos brother away on the final night of block action. Meanwhile Taichi gets some solid wins but Minoru Suzuki still proves to be his superior when they go head to head. Shingo Takagi wins out the battle of the beef with Tomohiro Ishii but both men are just making up the numbers. Jeff Cobb puts in a better showing in his second year with a couple of decent scalps. Oh and Yujiro Takahashi bottoms out because the story is he is a trash wrestler who has no place in the G1.

As much as A block looks more stacked, this one was way harder to work out. I have it finishing on a four way tie but making the right match main event on the last night was a nightmare. I'm giving the block to SANADA who comes top of the head to head with Tetsuya Naito, KENTA and EVIL by beating his former best friend on the final night. This year will be the year that proves Hiroshi Tanahashi is a broken down old man who can't keep up with current competition which will be proven when he's out of the running early and then can't even beat Zack Sabre Jr. on the last night. Toru Yano will once again be there to play spoiler against the biggest names while Juice Robinson and Hirooki Goto are sadly facing a barren year. Things look brighter however for YOSHI-HASHI who will acquit himself well enough to finish level with his Chaos stable mates.

All of which leaves me a final of the rivalry renewed. Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA. Now as I just said it's foolish to bet against Okada...

The heart wants what it wants

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I had EVIL and Ibushi coming out of the blocks but the cards have shaken my faith in those predictions. Not enough to change them, though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Can someone toss up a quick link to the cards so I can fill one of these out when I get back from work? Everyone's talking about actual dates, but for the life of me, I can't find a link in the other thread.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Added to the OP :)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Much obliged, friend.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'll do this properly tomorrow once i've had some sleep and can actually think about it, but I'm going to make a prediction right now.

Big match Yuj will have a legitimate MOTYC against someone that isn't Ishii and will remind us of the promise he had in 2013 before he joined the Bullet Club and coasted for the last 6 years. I still believe Yujiro will put some fuckin effort in one of these days.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://imgur.com/a/wDjvRFB

I was confident right up until I realise this has Ibushi losing on the final night of A block despite going through...

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 11, 2020

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

So here's my thinking. I think A Block will come down to Okada or White, and on the A Block Finals, Ospreay finally gets his big win over Okada, but Okada's already at 14 points so all this does is make it possible for White to win. The main event is then Ishii vs White, and Ishii's goal is to spoil White, preventing him from tying Okada with the tiebreaker advantage, which he does. B Block will be Naito and SANADA at 10, EVIL and KENTA at 12, and the LIJ boys win, with Naito holding tiebreakers over all 3 of them, setting up a WK14 rematch, which Naito wins. He challenges Hiromu, who has to try to win back the Jr. Title before them for their dream match to happen.

I know this is a long shot because the champion doesn't win the G1, but this is a weird year already, and I don't know who else you really go with for a Dome match at this point unless they want to revisit the Okada or Ibushi programs.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
drat it, cowards! Someone's got to take the risk of a Tanashi only winning his block by forcing a time limit draw vs Zack by refusing to tap out even though he's in mortal agony.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Sent in my predictions. Thanks to the G1 I can be wrong about more match results than ever before!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
To the person who predicted a Kazuchika Okada/Yujiro Takahashi time limit draw: why do you hate us?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not at all confident

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

To the person who predicted a Kazuchika Okada/Yujiro Takahashi time limit draw: why do you hate us?

It could be a double count out!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Just know that I incorrectly predicted two draws for last years G1, and the winner, and I still think I beat J-Ru.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

Just know that I incorrectly predicted two draws for last years G1, and the winner, and I still think I beat J-Ru.

This is what happens when you bet it all on SANADA

Oh god

Oh dear god :negative:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I think KENTA wins it all

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Hear me out:

A Block Winner Jay White

B Block Winner KENTA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please play this music the entire time you are doing the G1 MathTM necessary to make your picks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Power Windows posted:

Hear me out:

A Block Winner Jay White
B Block Winner KENTA

Honestly, I considered this, but it feels too early. Something's eventually gotta give with Bullet Club and its three kings.

Let Kenta join Suzuki Gun. That way, we don't feel quite as dirty about enjoying his antics, and also he seems like a chap that enjoys some sadism.

Give me multiman tags with KENTA and Taichi kicking someone into purple paste.

EDIT
I see someone else literally posted this at the end of the other thread too. So I can't be completely unhinged, here.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 12, 2020

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Y’all overlooking the obvious KENTA vs. Cobb finals, given tonight's match.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Our unshable faith in the Holy Emperor will deliver us through these times

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QEJcyVFwSyYZAYOcvX29vcrLwoYJxaWQ/view

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

(*One of my Ishii/Taichi cells is incorrectly labeled. Probably more are, god drat I hate filling these things out and I greatly appreciate the "official" way to submit these, Rarity)

Ultimately, I decided that New Japan was going to be conservative and keep things very simple. Pandemic threw everything for a loop, they're just getting most of their roster back, now is not the time for enormous surprises. Give the tournament to the best wrestler in the world, although, he's had a weirdly off year. I've got him losing like, his first three matches in a row, including to Yujiro, just to go completely down the path toward losing his mind.

As for B block, I do not buy EVIL as a faction leader in a faction where both Jay White and KENTA are better wrestlers and more charismatic. Eventually I think they'll turn Jay or move KENTA to Suzuki-Gun, (or both!) but that doesn't feel like a "this year" thing. Looking over the matches available at the end of B block, the one that I decided was most impactful had to be either KENTA/Naito or ZSJ/Tanahashi. And the latter only really worked if I weren't a coward and I predicted Tana winning off of forcing a time limit draw. (Or.... stopping Zack from winning), but I didn't like the way the math had to look to make either happen. Too many people jobbing out.

Put the best face against the best heel. It's just wrestling.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 12, 2020

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Got to love filling in all the winners and tallying points only to find a 5 way tie for first, before having to do THE MATH to figure out how to get my toys into the position I want. Okada wins with tiebreaker's over Billy and Kota, I figure going into the final day Billy is leading , but Kota wins against Taichi to take the lead by Tiebreak, before Okada swoops in during the main event to depose them both because he's Okada and he needs to win something this year or he's taking his ball and going to Dragon Gate.

I have Naito drawing dead going into the final round, as he is down a tiebreaker to Sanada. Thus, when he has the final match against Kenta, he is ensuring both Kenta doesn't make the finals and his good friend Sanada does.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
hey does this form auto-fill out block winners based on point totals/wl records. or is that level of technology beyond us? im gonna look real stupid picking white as my block runner but giving shingo more wins or something

e: lol block runner

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
i just realized that would probs be way hard to do nvm

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

take the moon posted:

hey does this form auto-fill out block winners based on point totals/wl records. or is that level of technology beyond us?

It does not but anyone who fucks up the math will get a stern PM from me asking for corrections :hai:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Hey Rarity, can I do this prediction contest without any thought whatsoever? By that I mean will the google doc spit out who I've claimed to be the finals if I just vote based on vibes from match to match or do I have to know who won each block?

edit: based on take that moon's question and response I'll take that as a no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I submitted prediction via the form. I didn't map it all out via template first. I just decided who I liked for each match up. We'll see how terribly wrong I wind up!