Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Chatrapati posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It makes sense for something dramatic to happen after a long period of relative calm.

Personally I would like one of our mentors to live to teach us two techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Chatrapati posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It makes sense for something dramatic to happen after a long period of relative calm.

Long period being a season:rolleyes:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Chatrapati posted:

Plenty of dramatic events can happen in the current location that can keep Pumie on her toes. It's boring to just keep repeating the trope of having to leave home and fending for survival until finding another secure location, especially since that was exactly what we just went through prior to getting here.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Chatrapati posted:

We've been here less than two full months in-universe.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
B let chaos reign

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
A

I want to stay at the academy. If it is growing tedious, maybe we should make an enemy there.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Switching from A to D. Instead of Qianni dying from the ritual, Wotejo doesn't make it but he helps push us into the center.

You get your drama, and we can stop hearing about us relying on Wotejo too much.

E: leaving it up but switching back to A, I don't want to be the goon that kills Wotejo

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 12, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wow, please ban this man

Also I think if Wotjeo dies we die too?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Or we absorb Wotjeo and become a mini-Matriarch.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i feel like qianni dying would actually just introduce a lot of artificial drama that's ultimately unsatisfying, while simultaneously culling out a bunch of actually interesting plotlines that have been building and developing over many updates

like i can see the appeal on the surface of voting for her to die, but really, look at what we lose. not in terms of gainz or whatever but in terms of actual narrative development, we lose out on so much story potential by picking that option imo

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
I think Qianni dying right now would be like us going into the caves and leaving the valley. Where we left as things were just starting to stabilize and then starved for 2 years.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Endless tragedy doesn't automatically make for a good narrative. Right now, Pumie needs stability to grow and develop into the hero she'll be.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Plenty of dramatic events can happen in the current location that can keep Pumie on her toes. It's boring to just keep repeating the trope of having to leave home and fending for survival until finding another secure location, especially since that was exactly what we just went through prior to getting here.

I get that. I suppose I like the idea of it happening again; I trust LLSix to keep things interesting regardless of what we pick to be honest.

SerSpook posted:

i feel like qianni dying would actually just introduce a lot of artificial drama that's ultimately unsatisfying, while simultaneously culling out a bunch of actually interesting plotlines that have been building and developing over many updates

like i can see the appeal on the surface of voting for her to die, but really, look at what we lose. not in terms of gainz or whatever but in terms of actual narrative development, we lose out on so much story potential by picking that option imo

I'm not sure I agree, but I can see where you're coming from. We lost a lot of opportunities to discover things about and establish ourselves in the world when we left the valley and discovered this new place, and I was a bit sad about that, but I think being exiled from the Travelling Academy doesn't exclude us in the same way since we would still have accessible links to people in the academy, even if they might become adversarial links.

The current most interesting plotline that isn't the destruction of the valley, for me, is the advancement of Viridian ideology and spirit massacre, which we could still be a part of outside the academy. I'm not sure what other posters are mostly interested in though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yes, tragedy after tragedy is a staple of Cultivation novels, but Pumie is not a typical Cultivation protagonist. Her entire strength, from her link with Wotjeo to the friends she makes, is her ability to establish bonds with people. We're basically throwing that all away if we uproot her over and over. She'll never develop to her full potential unless she can exploit her ability to develop friends to grow stronger.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

JT Jag posted:

Yes, tragedy after tragedy is a staple of bad Cultivation novels

Fixed that for you.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Narratively I hope we stay at the Academy because it has tons of plot hooks and characters established and wiping that slate clean to go back to living off berries in the wilderness when we did that really recently sounds boring to me.

In the caves we had a ton of confrontations with rivals. Here at the academy we've yet to confront either the Nuli or Viridian rival, each providing a very different threat to be endured or defeated.

We've only been at the Academy for two months. We're just getting to know the people here. We've only scratched the surface with Liuxue, Lumang, Bailei, etc. These characters have more depth to be explored.

My favorite TV dramas tend to have a large ensemble cast with a wide variety of characters to focus on, and they tend to get much better in the second season because the first is too busy establishing the setting and the surface-level details to get into deeper character studies. I like it when characters have time to breathe and evolve. If we go right back into the woods then we lose the cast and the characters.

Pumie and Wotjeo alone in the woods don't have anything to talk about because they already know everything about eachother because they've both been there for all of it. Zhe Zhuru seems fine but we've already spent time in the woods with a stoic old guardian. When Pumie and Wotjeo leave the academy I'd strongly prefer if they actually had solidly established companions that they could bring with them to provide additional perspectives, attitudes, and histories.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

A. I don't vote all the time, but I enjoy it here and Pumie does too.

Reading the discord, I was getting a little worried that people were getting bored here. I'm glad to see that is overwhelming not the case.

Mid Fall - (Nuli, Water Week(5), Day 1) continued

Healer Zhe Zhuru finally gathers himself enough to tell you, “Elder Qianni was seriously injured when she opened your dantians. Life dantians are very draining to open and nobody tries to open two at a time.”

Healer Zhe Zhuru shakes his head in frustration, “I tried to warn her, but she wouldn’t listen to me.”

The stocky man smacks his very large fist into his meaty palm. He has always been kind to you and patient. You are not afraid of him, exactly, but for the first time, you are very aware that you do not him to ever be mad at you.”

Cautiously, you tell him, “I’m sorry?”

Healer Zhe Zhuru unclenches his fist and shrugs, “There is no reason you should be. What happened to her is not your fault, and you should not blame yourself for her choices. She wouldn’t want you to either. Elder Chiaki thinks that Elder Qianni will recover in about a month. Normally, I would not disagree with an Elder, but the last time I trusted an Elder’s estimate on how much Elder Qianni could handle, she ended up in a recovery hall for at least a month. Personally, I would be surprised if she is ready to teach you again sooner than two months from now. In the meantime, she gave me some instructions to pass on to you.”

Healer Zhe Zhuru continues. “She wants you to begin taking your training as a Healer more seriously. So you’ll spend at least one day a week with me here in the Medicine Hall and at least one day a week with Old Wupo at the once born hospital. Elder Qianni says you can heal people with your madra if you have to, to save their life, but otherwise she wants you learn how to heal as a once-born doctor does. She evidently intends you to follow the path of a medical saint and I doubt you have a problem with that.”

You nod your head in agreement with Healer Zhe Zhuru pauses. “Good, I thought not. Elder Qianni had intended to give you lessons on gathering and cultivating life vital-essence once a week. She said that you can attempt to experiment on your own. I think it is a bad idea, but having a second dantian you aren’t developing for most of a season is also a bad situation. I’ll leave it up to you to decide. She’ll probably have more advice for you the next time she sees you, but until then the rest of your time is your own. Personally, I recommend attending the group lessons for physical and dantian cultivation that are resuming next week. If you’re feeling well enough, you still have time to join most of Elder Yun Hui’s lesson.”

You nod your head and get up. Healer Zhe Zhuru’s face turns red and he hurriedly turns his back while you dress in your Silver robes. You clench your teeth and fight down the urge to groan as your weight doubles when you put on the physical cultivation aids Lumang loaned you. You’d forgotten you were wearing them when you went into the maze. Would Elder Qianni be okay if you hadn’t been wearing them? Healer Zhe Zhuru told you that you have a life dantian, but he didn’t say anything about it being healthy and you’re afraid to ask. Listening to it beating off-tempo from your heart beat, you think you already know the answer. Would you have a stronger, healthy, life dantian now if you’d thought to take the training aids off before entering the maze?

Healer Zhe Zhuru turns back around as you settle your Healing kit on your back. “Oh, One more thing, Elder Qianni won’t be able to help you much without revealing the secret of your life dantian, but she can provide you with as many VEAs as you can use. In addition to your usual allotment from the Job Hall at the beginning of next week, I’ll give you however many more you need for the rest of the month when I see you during the first week, wood week of the month. Most disciples will probably assume you got them from Liuxue, which is fine.”

As Wotjeo and you hurry across the plaza to the Lesson Hall, you discuss what to cultivate. The safest and obvious choice is to continue cultivating Wotjeo’s Silver Dream dantian. You hate the thought just letting your new dantian sit untouched for months though. Maybe it would be a better idea to try and figure out how to cultivate life madra? It sounds like the Elders are going to be switching from cultivation lessons to cultivation technique lessons soon, so this might be your last chance to experiment with an Elder’s help for a while. Then again, maybe you shouldn’t be experimenting where all your fellow disciples can see you.

1) What do you cultivate today?
A. Wotjeo’s Silver Dream dantian (the one he was born with)
B. Experiment with cultivating life independently
C. Experiment with gathering life vital-essence while Wotjeo cultivates.
Write in

Schedule vote soon. You slept through a big part of last week so I'm carrying everything you did forward to this week because the winning voters deserve to still see what they voted to.

Schedule this week, order not set
Elder dantian cultivation (Wotjeo?)
Lessons with Administrator Un
Elder Physical cultivation
Healing Lessons with Zhe Zhuru
Lu An interaction (ask Lu An about getting metal with vital-essence to put under the mattress you sleep on)
Healing Lessons with Old Wupo
Go shopping for training aids with Dashuijie (look for stuff for Wotjeo too, jewelry? hat?)
Spirit Strength tutor (already paid for)
Lessons with Xue Min
Spar with Lumang and Big Bailei (social version)
Wotjeo said there was a spirit in the “shower” of your wooden cave, go talk to it
Teaching friends?

Schedule next week, order not set
Elder dantian cultivation (Wotjeo)
Lessons with Administrator Un
Elder Physical cultivation
Healing Lessons with Zhe Zhuru
Healing Lessons with Old Wupo

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Understand there is a type mismatch with Zhe, but does he have any advice so we can at least reduce any risks of experimenting with the life dantian? Also is there any sort of dantian we could say we have in the mean time so that it doesn't look so weird when we try to gather from not metal?

Shinarato fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 12, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C, we have no idea how to cultivate on our own and probably don't want to gently caress it up. For the first few times experimenting with Life I think we should stick to the script we're familiar with, we gather for Wotjeo and he cultivates. Once we've gotten into the swing of things the way we're used to then maybe we can experiment with cultivating in our own dantian.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B. Pumie knows how to gather but not how to cultivate. Wotjeo knows how to cultivate but not how to gather. We need to resolve these deficiencies if we're going to nurture both life dantians. I expect there are benefits to getting both new dantians operational beyond increased battery capacity and the ability to support additional VEAs. It's good that Pumie & Wotjeo have a high teaching skill because they have a lot to learn from each other.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 12, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
B Pumie and Wotjeo attempt to teach each other the broad outlines of the other's specialty while they both fumble in the dark with gathering Life essence. Assuming, of course, that Wotjeo can gather now.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A We want to keep our life dantian hidden as long as we can, and tips from the elder teachers on our Silver Bear dantian are much more useful than on a Life dantian, because we already have Qianni for that.

We'll see Qianni in a week or two and get the basics from here, no need to waste time trying to figure them out ourselves. Plus if we get any good tips from the elders, they'll probably announce or note we've opened our second dantian already, which is aggro we do not need from others. If people start asking Pumie will give it up because that's what we do.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 12, 2020

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

malbogio posted:

B. Pumie knows how to gather but not how to cultivate. Wotjeo knows how to cultivate but not how to gather. We need to resolve these deficiencies if we're going to nurture both life dantians. I expect there are benefits to getting both new dantians operational beyond increased battery capacity and the ability to support additional VEAs. It's good that Pumie & Wotjeo have a high teaching skill because they have a lot to learn from each other.

B & This. I appreciate staying at the traveling academy while there are also consequences for Qianni's actions that make it uncertain how Pumie can proceed under these circumstances.

I think the question about the trainings weights versus dantain "health" are super interesting.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
B.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Nothingtoseehere posted:

A We want to keep our life dantian hidden as long as we can, and tips from the elder teachers on our Silver Bear dantian are much more useful than on a Life dantian, because we already have Qianni for that. We'll see Qianni in a week or two and get the basics from here, no need to waste time trying to figure them out ourselves.

Per Zhe Zhuru we shouldn't expect Qianni to provide any lessons for at least two months.

OfChristandMen posted:

I think the question about the trainings weights versus dantain "health" are super interesting.

I expect doing it with training weights improved the results, as completing things the hard way in cultivation literature is typically rewarded. But the insecurity seems spot on for Pumie given how often she's bitten off more than she could chew.

LLSix posted:

Would Elder Qianni be okay if you hadn’t been wearing them? Healer Zhe Zhuru told you that you have a life dantian, but he didn’t say anything about it being healthy and you’re afraid to ask. Listening to it beating off-tempo from your heart beat, you think you already know the answer. Would you have a stronger, healthy, life dantian now if you’d thought to take the training aids off before entering the maze?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

A

We are supposed to be trying to hide this. We should experiment with cultivating in private, not just go sit somewhere new and different and obviously cultivate in a different way than usual.

People can hear/see/idk maybe smell madra. They will be able to tell the difference between our gathering of dream silver and our gathering of Life. They probably won't know what it is, but Pumie is trash at lying. As soon as they start asking what second dantian she opened we lose.

Is there any way Qianni could swing giving us some extra diamonds at the beginning of the month, for buying learning aids with? Or is she limiting it entirely to however many we need, with no extra?

I mean either way we have a nice stockpile we can now freely use without concern, because we will get plenty next week. That is nice.

I also wish we could ask about potentially maybe seeing a core disciple to develop our dream silver, but I'll save that for next week when we pick up our allotment.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
A

Let's be patient on the Life dantian until Qianni can give us expert guidance. Shore up the DreamSilver and its techniques for the next month or so while she's out.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Can we ask Zhe Zhuru how many tiers there are to each level of dantian? What is the maximum number of diamond VEAs a person manages at once before going to amethyst, and the maximum in turn for amethyst VEAs before moving past that?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Dr Subterfuge posted:

B Pumie and Wotjeo attempt to teach each other the broad outlines of the other's specialty while they both fumble in the dark with gathering Life essence. Assuming, of course, that Wotjeo can gather now.

Agreed. We work as a team to do these basic explorations so that we can immediately begin good lessons with Qianni when she's back up

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
A because we can use the time to get a better base to work off of to defend ourselves for when we go at the life dantian in earnest and instantly let it slip.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is there any hazard to gathering essence without doing anything with it / is it possible to sense essences you aren't aligned to (I would assume not since pumie had no clue IC what places would be good sources of life vital essence).

If not, I think learning how to gather life essence and teaching wotjeo how to gather life essence is something we can do which is reasonably low-risk but would still provide practice towards handling Life techniques.

Actually, that's something we might be able to get advice from Qianni from without requiring her to do any supernatural stuff. Even if she can't use any life techniques or get out of bed, she can at least answer whether or not gathering essence by itself is safe, as well as our earlier question about 'where are the best places to gather life essence'?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Is there any hazard to gathering essence without doing anything with it / is it possible to sense essences you aren't aligned to (I would assume not since pumie had no clue IC what places would be good sources of life vital essence).

If not, I think learning how to gather life essence and teaching wotjeo how to gather life essence is something we can do which is reasonably low-risk but would still provide practice towards handling Life techniques.

Actually, that's something we might be able to get advice from Qianni from without requiring her to do any supernatural stuff. Even if she can't use any life techniques or get out of bed, she can at least answer whether or not gathering essence by itself is safe, as well as our earlier question about 'where are the best places to gather life essence'?

Yea if we can chat with her in bed in a week or two and get some yes/nos on what to poke at I'm fine giving it a go, but for a public lesson the day after getting up from opening the dantian up? Nah

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Tunicate posted:

I'd imagine other cultivators would be a good source of life vital essence given the unusual vitality they possess as a result of cultivation. Per the previous Q&A people are valid sources of Life vital essence and it is not harmful to collect it. When Zhiyi took vital essence from spirits he made it sound harmless too, like he was just taking what was already radiated outside of the source.

LLSix posted:

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What are good sources of Life vital essence? This seems relevant because cultivators must spend a lot of time near the sources of their vital essence.

Qianni waggles her finger at you in mock disapproval. "Uh, uh, un. No asking to learn my secret weaknesses until they're yours too."
Qianni laughs, "Actually its one of my strengths, and potentially yours too. Really though, you should be able to figure this one out on your own."

sheep-dodger posted:

Gathering Life vital essence is not going to harm the (presumably) people we're gathering from, right?

Qianni smiles at your brightly. "I'm glad you asked. I approve of your concern for others. No, it doesn't hurt them. Easy access to vital-essence is one of my madra's advantages."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tunicate posted:

We can hear when people are gathering essence or using Madra. Presumably those with sight can see it being gathered and used. They wont know what it looks/hears like (pumie often notes odd sounds) but they will know it's not what they've seen/heard the last 10 weeks.

I really think we should learn to gather/cultivate Life in secret, at Old Man Oak's spot, next week when we have open slots. Keep doing dream silver in public, and Life in secret.

gently caress it, I'll ask it this week instead of next week.

Is there any way Qianni can use her influence to secretly ask Yun to provide one of her Cores, to help us work on our Dream Silver stuff, even once a month? I want to be very prepared in case Life leaks while Qianni is weak, and I become a target.

Edit: another question!

Is Wotjeo opening a second dantian weird? Do spirits usually open multiple dantians?

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 13, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea if we can chat with her in bed in a week or two and get some yes/nos on what to poke at I'm fine giving it a go, but for a public lesson the day after getting up from opening the dantian up? Nah

yeah in that case, we should go with practicing our old stuff this week. Nobody has said anything about the first week being particularly important, and getting a quick list of dos and don'ts is important even if we can't get hands-on training. I'm sure as an elder she has a better idea for a clandestine training area

quote:

Is Wotjeo opening a second dantian weird? Do spirits usually open multiple dantians?
I believe it's unprecedented, given that second dantians are supposed to make human cultivators superior to spirits in reserve capacity.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 13, 2020

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

A

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tunicate posted:

I believe it's unprecedented, given that second dantians are supposed to make human cultivators superior to spirits in reserve capacity.

Yeah, I assumed as much too. But Zhuru just kinda glossed over the 'opening two dantians at once' thing with regards to it, and didn't freak out or tell us to hide it or anything. Thus my asking IC if it's normal.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

B, gotta learn sometime, and now is the most appropriate time for an excitable young cultivator who has not had sufficient trauma. Seriously, Pumie really needs more trauma or she's going to be a side character that gets killed to motivate a real protagonist later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinity Gaia posted:

B, gotta learn sometime, and now is the most appropriate time for an excitable young cultivator who has not had sufficient trauma. Seriously, Pumie really needs more trauma or she's going to be a side character that gets killed to motivate a real protagonist later.

Pumie gets killed to motivate Wotjeo, who was the real protagonist all along.