Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Black Griffon posted:

Ooh, have they finally dropped the "rule" that novel-length 40k books shan't be written from the alien POV?

They've had a bunch of eldar and dark eldar, a handful of tau, and even a few necron short stories with a full length novel coming soon. Everyone but the tyranids as far as I know. I think this is the first ork pov besides the Deff Skwadron comic book.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah there's always been a bunch of short stories, but full length novels are way more sparse, and from what I've heard it's because GW has had a policy about alien POV.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah there's always been a bunch of short stories, but full length novels are way more sparse, and from what I've heard it's because GW has had a policy about alien POV.

I remember that from when I first got into the hobby. Fire Warrior in 2003 was an exception since it was a video game tie in. After that I think the Eldar and Dark Eldar 'Path of the X' novel trilogies started featuring full length xenos books in 2010. Nowadays anything goes as they've found emo elves sell books. There's a Ynnari series going about the new eldar, and Peter Fehervari has tau characters in his Dark Coil novels. Same reason they took the necrons from ancient mysterious unknowable terminators to egomaniacal Space Egyptians featuring Don Quixote. They lost a few people who preferred the mystery or didn't have their idea of the alien match up to the fiction, but gained the readers hungry for any fiction about their armies.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah, there's plenty of god emperor awful novels about space marines which make the universe even dumber if you force yourself to consider them canon, so they've really got nothing to lose letting writers write from whatever perspective they want.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I just finished The Tyrant Baru Cormorant and I continue to love this series. I'd pre-ordered it and I ended up reading it back-to-back with Monster which I think was a good approach since the two are so closely entwined (and it made the part where Tau starts telling Baru the Story of Ash that had been going through both books all along a neat little reveal/beat for me, especially since I might not have caught it if I'd read the books farther apart). Really looking forward to reading the next one whenever it comes out, General.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ya know I think this goes in here too:

https://twitter.com/MikeBrooks668/status/1304347212550467585

In short, this is a novel from the alien's pov. It's about a band of space orks being violent and having fun and I cannot wait for it to drop, and if it's as much fun as I think it'll be, y'all non-Warhammer fans should check it out!

Is this tweet implying that Orks speak with a cockney accent?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

XBenedict posted:

Look, dwarves are Scottish, orks are cockney, everyone knows that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

IIRC they were originally based on English hooligans?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

XBenedict posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0vDQWMJNbE

Yes.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

A new SFL Archives read-through summary is up on the off-site blog.
Feel free to post and share the bits you like, have questions about or just flat out disagree with slash hate.
Going forward, all further SFL Archives read-through summaries getting re-posted here will have zero vbulletin/somethingawful forums formatting.
Welcome to the world of pure ASCII text friends.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 12, 2020

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for SF novels following Generation Ships? I had a recent thought about a premise where a Generation ship sets off for a new solar system but in the proceeding centuries faster travel methods have allowed ships to make it there before the initial ship so they send someone to pick up the original colony mission and get them there hundreds of years ahead of schedule. I figure someone must have done a story like that already and I'd be interested to see how it played out.

This is on my to-read pile so dunno if it is good but

The Ballad of Beta-2 by Samuel R. Delany

quote:

A dozen slow, multi-generation ships were sent to a distant star system called the Leffer System. Soon afterwards, mankind developed a star drive, so that by the time the ships reached their destination, mankind had been traveling around the galaxy for a hundred years. Of the dozen ships, two arrived empty, and two others never arrived at all. The ships were simply parked in orbit, and abandoned. Beta-2, one of the ships, even has its own ballad. Years later, as a college assignment, Joneny, a young researcher, is sent to find out just what happened.

you might have to hunt in used books stores or get lucky at Goodwill like I did

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

SFL Archives posted:

The SF-LOVERS t-shirt project gets relaunched with a cluttered seeming graphic design (two interstellar aliens reading SF-LOVERS on a terminal with a scarier interstellar alien creeping up behind the reader aliens)

Extremely on board for whatever this looks like, I truly hope an image has survived somewhere.

Also putting in a vote for adding the blog to the OP under the archives link; I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd probably never be up for properly investigating the archives but v much appreciates the summaries.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

SFL Archives posted:

CODEX SERAPHINIANUS gets brought up a few times. Knowing nothing about it and refusing to google it, the CODEX SERAPHINIANUS sounds alot like the Voynich Manuscript https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

It's pretty close to the Voynich Manuscript (weird illustrations, unreadable fake language) but much newer and a lot less mysterious. It was written and illustrated by an Italian artist named Luigi Serafini and was published in 1981. It goes for a pretty penny these days since it basically never gets reprinted, and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't pick one up from my local used bookstore when they had a copy for about $90.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They had an "official" reprint a few years back. It's a pretty neat book. The only downside is on the reprint, for some reason they made this GIANT sticker that takes up like 40% of the back cover of the book to have all the pricing info and random poo poo, instead of just including it in the sealed book packaging (it was sealed like a DVD anyway).

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

foutre posted:

Extremely on board for whatever this looks like, I truly hope an image has survived somewhere.

Also putting in a vote for adding the blog to the OP under the archives link; I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd probably never be up for properly investigating the archives but v much appreciates the summaries.

This would be exceptionally easy to do.
My clever idea for a SF-LOVERS t-shirt if the SF-LOVERS Mailing List was still running would be:
I
:h: <heart symbol in black>
SF-L
:c: <club symbol in red>

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Blimey.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, dwarves are Scottish, orks are cockney, everyone knows that.

If I remember the Peter Jackson films correctly, dwarves speak as though they were educated at RADA

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DurianGray posted:

It's pretty close to the Voynich Manuscript (weird illustrations, unreadable fake language) but much newer and a lot less mysterious. It was written and illustrated by an Italian artist named Luigi Serafini and was published in 1981. It goes for a pretty penny these days since it basically never gets reprinted, and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't pick one up from my local used bookstore when they had a copy for about $90.

I was able to get a copy of the recent reprint a couple years ago for my friend's birthday for about 50 quid or so. It's gorgeous.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

HopperUK posted:

I was able to get a copy of the recent reprint a couple years ago for my friend's birthday for about 50 quid or so. It's gorgeous.
Can confirm, it's great. The eye fish and the tree reproductive cycle are my favourite parts, but it's all worth a read.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for SF novels following Generation Ships? I had a recent thought about a premise where a Generation ship sets off for a new solar system but in the proceeding centuries faster travel methods have allowed ships to make it there before the initial ship so they send someone to pick up the original colony mission and get them there hundreds of years ahead of schedule. I figure someone must have done a story like that already and I'd be interested to see how it played out.

Time for the Stars by Heinlein does this. Warning: because its Heinlein the protagonist ends up marrying his own great grand niece.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Pushing Ice is a bit of a twist on the GS concept, but I still think it counts, also it's great stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Neat interview with Susannah Clarke about her new book:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...ooks_b-gdnbooks

Apparently after JS&N she got knocked down by chronic fatigue syndrome and hadn't been able to write for a decade. New book is not a sequel to JS&N but still sounds really interesting.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The article includes a photo of GRRM's (non-castle, though it has a castle mailbox) house. With what I must assume is his car in the driveway. I'm not sure what I expected, but now that I've seen it, I can't imagine any detail differently.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

The article includes a photo of GRRM's (non-castle, though it has a castle mailbox) house. With what I must assume is his car in the driveway. I'm not sure what I expected, but now that I've seen it, I can't imagine any detail differently.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
While we're on the topic,

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think Ernest Cline might be a straight up moron. I just came across this section in Armada where he tries to explain to the reader what "gallows humor" is:

quote:

“Stay frosty, everyone,” my father said. “And may the Force be with you.”

“May the Force be with us,” Shin repeated, with no hint of irony in his voice.

“May the Force be with us!” Graham echoed over the comlink.

Debbie and Milo each echoed the sentiment, followed by Chén, who said it in Mandarin.

“Yuan li yu ni tong tzai.”

The sincerity in Chén’s voice finally convinced me to join in. I keyed my mic and carefully repeated after him. “Yuan li yu ni tong tzai.”

Chén laughed and said something else. The somewhat imperfect English translation popped up on my HUD: “We are coming here to kick rear end and chew bubblegum, and we have no more bubblegum!”

I laughed out loud, and for several more seconds I couldn’t stop laughing. I’d only just learned the term “gallows humor” a few months earlier, from a book we’d been assigned in American Literature about the Civil War. At the time, it wasn’t a type of humor I thought I would ever be in a position to experience. But now, as hearing Chén belt out Roddy Piper’s battle cry from They Live in Chinese struck me as one of the funniest things I’d ever heard in my life, I understood the concept perfectly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I loving hate Ernest Cline so much. God I loving despise that man. Reading that small section ruined my week.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Happy to share the misery, comrade

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

is there a good list somewhere of the best space opera or sci-fi books published in 2020?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pmchem posted:

is there a good list somewhere of the best space opera or sci-fi books published in 2020?

I'd say next year's Dragon Awards, but it turns out even when you invent an award just so you and your buddies can win it people will still vote for stuff they actually like.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

mewse posted:

I think Ernest Cline might be a straight up moron. I just came across this section in Armada where he tries to explain to the reader what "gallows humor" is:

The other thing that's stupid here is that he's hosed up the Chinese in at least three different ways, and I can't tell how he did it so badly; just throwing the English into Google Translate would have been better. Only one word has a tone marker; that "tzai" at the end isn't possible in pinyin (which the rest of the text is) - it should be "zai"; he's dividing the text up by character, not words; and he's missed the "May" from "May the Force..." (although it's possible he's just being slangy, to be fair.)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah, there's plenty of god emperor awful novels about space marines which make the universe even dumber if you force yourself to consider them canon, so they've really got nothing to lose letting writers write from whatever perspective they want.

Its why I prefer Ian Watson's novels where the only space marine character is a barely functioning pile of neuroses whenever he's not in combat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's not even an example of gallows humour, Ernest, unless you consider even the slightest hint of physical violence to be super dark black comedy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's not even an example of gallows humour, Ernest, unless you consider even the slightest hint of physical violence to be super dark black comedy.

Yeah that's what struck me about it. The bubblegum line from They Live is not gallows humour, even if it's in Chinese and before a major battle.

He comes back to the gallows humour thing twice including this gem, when the main char is on hold with the most famous scientists in the world:

quote:

That was when Cruz caught a glimpse of my QComm screen, which was now divided into over half a dozen windows, each with a different person’s face, just like the opening of The Brady Bunch—so he decided to belt out an impromptu parody of the opening line of the show’s theme song: “This is the story, of an alien invasion, by some fuckheads from Europa who are—”

That was all he managed to get out before Diehl snapped his laptop shut, cutting him off. He winced at me apologetically.

“It’s okay,” I told him. “The council has me on hold.”

Diehl exhaled and reopened his laptop. Cruz was still singing away.

“All of them have tentacles, like their mother! The youngest one in curls!”

Diehl laughed. Cruz laughed. I laughed.

Gallows humor.

That's not gallows humour either, Ernest Cline you loving idiot

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I'm sorry I reported you friend but I find your posts of Ernest Cline's material to be literal violence.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

mewse posted:

He comes back to the gallows humour thing twice including this gem, when the main char is on hold with the most famous scientists in the world:

Jesus loving Christ.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I had no idea how bad it could be, mother of God that is some atrocious writing.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

==re-posted from off-site SFL Archive readthrough blog==

SFL Archives Vol 11 readthrough update 03
25% completion, 78 bookmarks (more than a few bookmarks were redundant and got cleaned up)

25 items of interest

==re-posted from off-site SFL Archive readthrough blog==

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 29, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mewse posted:

lmao this is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

quantumfoam posted:

-One shot SF&F authors of the 1980's get discussed and a few of them/their stories sound interesting (Hilbert Schenck, Barrington Bayley, Denis Johnson, John Sladek, etc)

Sladek was more than a one-shot author -- I've read several of his books. Not really to my taste, however. They're very broad social satire that hasn't aged particularly well.

quote:

-Funny SF stories requests. Henry Kuttner gets recommended a bunch, especially Kuttner's "drunk inventor-genius" stories. Spider Robinson's work gets recommended too (2020 take: Spider Robinson is a trap. Do Not Read. DO NOT READ.) Bill the Galactic Hero gets recommended (2020 take: Bill the Galactic Hero IS NOT a trap read.)

Speaking of stuff that hasn't aged well! Kuttner's "Gallegher" stories feature a protagonist who's a super-genius inventor -- but only when he's blackout drunk. So he'll wake up from a bender and then have to figure out why, for instance, he built a giant machine that's digging up his front lawn while singing "St. James Infirmary." More amusing than hilariously funny, but at least better than Reginald Bretnor's Papa Schimmelhorn stories...