Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Silver2195 posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-07-15/publishers-comment-on-amazon-kindle-delisting-of-at-least-15-light-novels-manga/.161872

I'm a bit baffled by this. Some of these titles do have a reputation for being extremely skeevy, but what did Grimgar do to get delisted?

The common factor among all these seems to be that they contain illustrations of girls in some state of nudity. Grimgar had shots of the "bath peeping" scene, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

darkgray posted:

The common factor among all these seems to be that they contain illustrations of girls in some state of nudity. Grimgar had shots of the "bath peeping" scene, for instance.

Yeah, it's this, especially if the illustrations are in the first few colored pages of the books. I own a few of the volumes and they're all damned if you judge them by that metric.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SaffronKit posted:

A Will Eternal will forever and always be my primary recommend for just this reason. Except you can't really explain this particular point to someone to try and sell them on it because it's a bit too spoiler-y! Er-Gen does a great job giving Bai Xiaochun great character development while fundamentally keeping him the same person personality wise. Very in theme with the title of the book overall, and one of the many reasons to love it.

I think the best way to say it without spoiling anything is that from the start, he has the one thing he fears most of all - death. The entire story is him exploring that fear in every way and he grows from it and how he interacts with death.

The one kinda really ehhhhhh element, the Aphrodisiac Pills also does play into that, since they uh, give life.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think the best way to say it without spoiling anything is that from the start, he has the one thing he fears most of all - death. The entire story is him exploring that fear in every way and he grows from it and how he interacts with death.

The one kinda really ehhhhhh element, the Aphrodisiac Pills also does play into that, since they uh, give life.

My god the things he does with those. Horrible things. To the point he begs his enemies to not force him to use them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Both of Will Wight's Elder Empire trilogies are available for free on amazon for a couple days

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C78XPJ

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074CCVM2J

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tunicate posted:

Both of Will Wight's Elder Empire trilogies are available for free on amazon for a couple days

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C78XPJ

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074CCVM2J

It's so cool he does this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really love webnovels about time leaps which supposedly enable someone to deal with some inevitable crisis, but are actually about the author's seething rage from high school. this is my latest one, and the highlight is how the author is innately disdainful of effort and socializing but doesn't realize it. his mc is in a monster hunting academy, and his dream is to be a monster hunter because of the usual dead family. during his first run he didn't train, study or even go to class despite his abysmal natural talent, and dropped out at the end of the first year having accomplished nothing. so much for his dream! the author somehow thinks this is laudable rather than pathetic(??????). so naturally, after the time leap the mc now specifically never needs to work out ever again.

from there it has been mostly about belittling thinly veiled proxies for the author's high school classmates, but in a way that makes it very clear that it is all his own unjustified resentment.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

They say, write what you know!

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i really love webnovels about time leaps which supposedly enable someone to deal with some inevitable crisis, but are actually about the author's seething rage from high school. this is my latest one, and the highlight is how the author is innately disdainful of effort and socializing but doesn't realize it. his mc is in a monster hunting academy, and his dream is to be a monster hunter because of the usual dead family. during his first run he didn't train, study or even go to class despite his abysmal natural talent, and dropped out at the end of the first year having accomplished nothing. so much for his dream! the author somehow thinks this is laudable rather than pathetic(??????). so naturally, after the time leap the mc now specifically never needs to work out ever again.

from there it has been mostly about belittling thinly veiled proxies for the author's high school classmates, but in a way that makes it very clear that it is all his own unjustified resentment.

I hear that is a popular genre to write.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Its especially funny when the protagonist is 1000s of years old, but somehow they still hold a massive grudge about something that happened in their teens/early 20s.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Er Gen really loves writing sassy ancient turtle characters, huh?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just wanted to say that active translations loving sucks. they do a few competent translated chapters for each series, then switch entirely to garbage barely edited machine translations. the result can probably get through spellcheckers just fine, but it is still gibberish.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Er Gen really loves writing sassy ancient turtle characters, huh?

Ooooh yeah. Also I am 100% stealing your excellent and concise yet non-spoilery description of Bai Xiaochun.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Book 8 of the Cradle series is going to be coming soon, the teaser blog post is here. No date announced yet but the link to his Facebook shows a shot of a proof copy of Wintersteel that appears to be the longest in the series by a fairly wide margin.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I've been enjoying Ougon no Keikenchi quite a bit. It's like a blend of Bofuri and Kumoko, where a girl starts a new VRMMO and stumbles over an extremely efficient way to gain experience points. Eventually she becomes so powerful that other players start mistaking her for a raid boss NPC, and she decides to go along with it.

Starts out a bit slowly while she's alone and exploring the game system, but once she bumps into other players, it picks up speed, and around the middle of the second Event (ch90-ish) it finally hits its stride. It's especially amusing reading the "forum thread" chapters, where all the other players theorise about what this strange monster's motives might be, and what the game designers could have been thinking, etc.

The author's publishing content at breakneck speed, with decent length chapters almost daily, which has resulted in roughly 5000 pages in less than a year since it started. I found it when it was making quite a buzz in the 5ch recommendation threads, so maybe it'll be one of the new big Narou titles soon.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Silynt posted:

Book 8 of the Cradle series is going to be coming soon, the teaser blog post is here. No date announced yet but the link to his Facebook shows a shot of a proof copy of Wintersteel that appears to be the longest in the series by a fairly wide margin.

He’s apparently trialling a new writing strategy where he doesn’t preemptively cut anything before he’s written it. That does not to me sound like the wisest approach, and I’m sceptical that the quality is going to hold up, but it has apparently resulted in one chonker of a book.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

He’s apparently trialling a new writing strategy where he doesn’t preemptively cut anything before he’s written it. That does not to me sound like the wisest approach, and I’m sceptical that the quality is going to hold up, but it has apparently resulted in one chonker of a book.

I just hope this doesn't mean more Suriel stuff, especially since the last book seemed to cut back on that.

Although, I wonder if the book is so long because the last book kind of just awkwardly ended at an arbitrary point right before the climax of a plotline.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I just hope this doesn't mean more Suriel stuff, especially since the last book seemed to cut back on that.

Although, I wonder if the book is so long because the last book kind of just awkwardly ended at an arbitrary point right before the climax of a plotline.

He cites these as examples of stuff that never made it to first draft in previous books:

quote:

https://www.willwight.com/a-blog-of-dubious-intent/wintersteel-new-strategy

For instance, I had a bunch of scenes planned in Skysworn just with the Skysworn going around doing missions.

I had this whole idea in Blackflame for Lindon to interact with Lezaar, the Arelius family refiner, and demonstrate how refining works. And also a sub-plot with Yerin where she found out that a Truegold was going around claiming to be the Sword Sage.

There were Soulsmithing scenes planned in virtually every book, which I either skipped or cut.

So, fairly varied, basically side content. No Suriel in any of it, though given the way Uncrowned ends I’d have expected her to feature more prominently in Wintersteel regardless.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

He cites these as examples of stuff that never made it to first draft in previous books:

So, fairly varied, basically side content. No Suriel in any of it, though given the way Uncrowned ends I’d have expected her to feature more prominently in Wintersteel regardless.

Cutting all of those was a good idea. The one I'd be most interested in is more Soulsmithing. It's supposed to be a major part of Lindon's character, but it would almost certainly bog the story down and mess up the pacing.

Will Wight is the best cultivation writer I've read, but between his last book and this I'm not optimistic about the direction he's headed.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Skysworn needed something. A few legitimate skysworn missions and Lindon actually using all the cool skysworn stuff would have helped the book feel more substantive. Thinking back to it, it really felt like:

"Let's join the Skysworn! We can contribute and take advantage of all this..."
"gently caress you, we hate you."
"We're gonna join anyway!"
"No, gently caress YOU!"
"Well, if you join up then I have to so I can be your commanding officer!"
"We hate you even more. Why are you doing this? We will execute all of you."
"Whoops, no time to be Skysworn, big invasion! Everyone hide in the basement!"
"You have earned some moderately fancy armor. You are dismissed from the Skysworn. Don't ever come back, we hate you so much."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Skysworn needed something. A few legitimate skysworn missions and Lindon actually using all the cool skysworn stuff would have helped the book feel more substantive. Thinking back to it, it really felt like:

"Let's join the Skysworn! We can contribute and take advantage of all this..."
"gently caress you, we hate you."
"We're gonna join anyway!"
"No, gently caress YOU!"
"Well, if you join up then I have to so I can be your commanding officer!"
"We hate you even more. Why are you doing this? We will execute all of you."
"Whoops, no time to be Skysworn, big invasion! Everyone hide in the basement!"
"You have earned some moderately fancy armor. You are dismissed from the Skysworn. Don't ever come back, we hate you so much."

Yeah, most of the Skysworn exchanges were pretty dumb. I think there are one or two paragraphs about them doing unspecified Skysworn missions. Or maybe that's the next book.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

LLSix posted:

Yeah, most of the Skysworn exchanges were pretty dumb. I think there are one or two paragraphs about them doing unspecified Skysworn missions. Or maybe that's the next book.

That was, in fact, in the next book.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Remember Magical Device Craftsman Dahlia?

The story just took the "MC reinvents cooking/rice/shoes and gets celebrated as a hero" to a new peak.
Our hero is now in danger of being enobled for her introduction of athlete's foot treatments.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Do the entire universe's culture and economy hinge on athletes' feet?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Megazver posted:

Do the entire universe's culture and economy hinge on athletes' feet?

It seems to be only the city/country she lives in. As far as we know.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

It seems to be only the city/country she lives in. As far as we know.

the city of Marathon

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

VictualSquid posted:

The story just took the "MC reinvents cooking/rice/shoes and gets celebrated as a hero" to a new peak.
Our hero is now in danger of being enobled for her introduction of athlete's foot treatments.

Pretty sure I've seen this in a different series, and they described it as solving a military problem. Presumably it was supposed to be a trench foot treatment or something but who knows :shrug:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

October 6th release for Wintersteel. :toot:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Just caught up with Dungeon Sherpa, and it's really nice. Plain non-isekai fantasy dungeon crawler, about a young man who had to give up his career as an adventurer and pick a safer job as a "sherpa", guiding other parties around the dungeon instead, when his alcoholic dad dies and he's left to care for his baby sister. One day the beautiful Hero of the East and her party comes to town with the aim to clear the entire dungeon from its final boss, and our protagonist is dragged along for the ride.

Bit of a weird history on this title. Seems the author arguably finished the story in roughly two volumes worth of content back in 2015, and then some publisher suddenly picked it up years later, which gave the author incentive to continue the story, I guess? The LN just had its third volume published this summer, and hopefully they won't cancel it. Hopefully. There's also a manga adaptation out recently.

The story shares a few similarities with DanMachi in that it has dungeon-centered towns and a kind of levelling system maintained by a goddess, but not quite as hands-on. And the romance moves a lot faster. Very enjoyable stuff. I just wish the author would turn on typo reporting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

darkgray posted:

Just caught up with Dungeon Sherpa, and it's really nice. Plain non-isekai fantasy dungeon crawler, about a young man who had to give up his career as an adventurer and pick a safer job as a "sherpa", guiding other parties around the dungeon instead, when his alcoholic dad dies and he's left to care for his baby sister. One day the beautiful Hero of the East and her party comes to town with the aim to clear the entire dungeon from its final boss, and our protagonist is dragged along for the ride.

Bit of a weird history on this title. Seems the author arguably finished the story in roughly two volumes worth of content back in 2015, and then some publisher suddenly picked it up years later, which gave the author incentive to continue the story, I guess? The LN just had its third volume published this summer, and hopefully they won't cancel it. Hopefully. There's also a manga adaptation out recently.

The story shares a few similarities with DanMachi in that it has dungeon-centered towns and a kind of levelling system maintained by a goddess, but not quite as hands-on. And the romance moves a lot faster. Very enjoyable stuff. I just wish the author would turn on typo reporting.

Was going to give this a try, but the link goes to the Japanese source. Why do you tease me so?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I enjoyed the first chapter of the manga, but that's really all we get as nobody has bothered to translate the web novel at all (it doesn't even have a Novel Updates page).

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I’m really really enjoying Reverend Insanity (Gu Daoist Master). The current giant battle has me on the edge of my seat. It’s the only one I’ve read where the enemies feel real.

When Fang Yuan is fighting against the world it feels like it. The enemies are many, their motives are varied, their backgrounds are deep, their relationships are complicated, and they are as capable as him and more.

I don’t recall any bullshit moments outside of one in the very early chapters (the inheritance of Wine Flower Monk). (the one I thought was bullshit was actually set up properly)

I also love the Gu system where everything can be represented as these insects that the user needs to feed (e.g. want to make someone poo poo? use Defecate Gu), and where immortal level Gu are unique in the world (there can only be one Immortal Defecate Gu in the world). It makes for interesting plot points.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 25, 2020

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I’m really really enjoying Reverend Insanity (Gu Daoist Master). The current giant battle has me on the edge of my seat. It’s the only one I’ve read where the enemies feel real.

When Fang Yuan is fighting against the world it feels like it. The enemies are many, their motives are varied, their backgrounds are deep, their relationships are complicated, and they are as capable as him and more.

I don’t recall any bullshit moments outside of one in the very early chapters (the inheritance of Wine Flower Monk). (the one I thought was bullshit was actually set up properly)

I also love the Gu system where everything can be represented as these insects that the user needs to feed (e.g. want to make someone poo poo? use Defecate Gu), and where immortal level Gu are unique in the world (there can only be one Immortal Defecate Gu in the world). It makes for interesting plot points.

Same, and the story plays really well with time traveling shenanigans as well. I thought the set up for the interventions of the various Venerables in this battle was excellent as well. And also because as much as this is the great climatic battle it is, the story has already set up for things to happen after it ends.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 25, 2020

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

AtomikKrab posted:

Same, and the story plays really well with time traveling shenanigans as well. I thought the set up for the interventions of the various Venerables in this battle was excellent as well. And also because as much as this is the great climatic battle it is, the story has already set up for things to happen after it ends.

Might wanna spoiler that friend.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The first chapter, or at least part of it, of Wintersteel’s audiobook has been posted online here, apparently Audible posts sample audio of upcoming books sometimes. We resolve most of the immediate cliffhangers from Uncrowned, and London meets some Monarchs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is one of history's great tragedies that the This Girl is a Little Wild manwha was discontinued.

quote:

“Captain Jullius!”

When I was about to jump down as well, I suddenly recalled my experience that if I was caught by adjutant Sieg for doing something brazen while wearing a dress, it’s as clear as day that I would have to listen to his nagging all day long, so I decided to shout instead. In addition, the height of the third floor was a bit too much for me to land safely with my current shoes. Just wanted to say that the ceiling here was very high and this third floor could be the same height as a fourth floor in another building.

“It’s my fault for putting my tongue in when we kissed! So please come back!!”

I exerted all my strength on my lower abdomen to shout out loud that my voice reverberated around widely.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait what

Oh my god this poo poo sucks

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

All of Cradle is free for the next few days.

Dross is the best character: “ [Try not to panic, but you are now sharing a sealed basement with a man who could destroy this whole city. I recommend deep breaths.]”

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

LLSix posted:

All of Cradle is free for the next few days.

Nice! Time to recommend it to all of my friends... Again.

Still waiting for Wintersteel since I thought it was midnight based on timezone but Google says Amazon uses PST for releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kyoujin posted:

Nice! Time to recommend it to all of my friends... Again.

Still waiting for Wintersteel since I thought it was midnight based on timezone but Google says Amazon uses PST for releases.

Looks available now (at least in EST)