Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I mean, not with the current provincial government here. But who knows if parks Canada will shut them down.

Louise and Sunshine have just been playing chicken with announcing first according to a friend of ours who works there. I imagine they’ll follow suit pretty closely.

yeah just heard on the CBC that Louise will be similar rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

They should be given their relationship with Parks Canada.

Hopefully Louise will be more sensible.

Yeah of course sorry got carried away with enthusiastic posting last night. Now I want ice cream.

They have this wonderful Nanaimo Bar flavor ice cream that is just great. I think it might be my favorite there. I rather like Nanaimo bars. I am not sure if we have an equivalent down here in Oregon.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ah yes. The yearly BS two turns of blown in snow after 12". I had a buddy skin up Monarch Pass though and get a a few turns in. Sounded like it was fun to be out but not worth it.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I’m a little miffed at those fuckers. They kicked my season pass forward from last year which is great, but I threw the cards away after I had surgery and they’re charging me forty five American dollars to reprint each one.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

It’s a plastic card that never gets scanned, and they just write your name on the back in sharpie.

e: cross posting this masterpiece

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 12, 2020

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Is it ski season yet

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, it's supposedly a La Nina year...debating what to do..

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Moot .1415926535 posted:

It’s a plastic card that never gets scanned, and they just write your name on the back in sharpie.

e: cross posting this masterpiece
:perfect:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Trying to get my wife into skiing, is the best way to put her into a class? Anyone here take it up as an adult?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, my wife did. (I had started snowboarding a few years earlier).
Doing classes is the right way.
Quality/price may vary, but the group classes at Mt Baker were her favourite.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I've dealt with enough people as patrol where their significant other were attempting to teach them, and had then taken them on terrain they were not ready for where they got terrified or injured that I will never not advocate putting them in a lesson for their first couple times out at the very least.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yes, take lessons, do not try to teach her yourself

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Time posted:

Trying to get my wife into skiing, is the best way to put her into a class? Anyone here take it up as an adult?

My wife took it up as an adult. (She had gone like 6 times as a kid 20 years ago but not in the interim.)

Put her in a class - even if you can teach, it’ll be more fun for both of you for her to get lessons and for you to go ski by yourself. (Eventually, if she catches up in skill, pairs lessons are pretty great, but start with her getting basic lessons.)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Thank you all!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Alternatively if you're sick of her, teach her yourself. Fast track to divorce.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

First rule of instructing is never teach your SO/family/friends unless you want them to hate you because "you make it look so easy" and they'll just get frustrated quickly

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Yeah, you dont learn skiing by copying an advanced skier, you really have to learn the beginner techniques to get comfortable before you switch parallel skiing

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Just take them down some black diamonds, it's the best way to learn. Yelling instructions louder and slower also gets the point across better if they're not picking it up at first.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ante posted:

Just take them down some black diamonds, it's the best way to learn. Yelling instructions louder and slower also gets the point across better if they're not picking it up at first.

Also keep them pumped with motivating cheers like "just try harder" and "the kids over there can do it".

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

ante posted:

This is how my friends taught me to snowboard. I came very close to never going back, but stuck it out. Can confirm it's a lovely way to learn.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
It's public now so I can discuss it but the resort told us on Friday with zero warning that they are completely shutting down racing for this year. The club is independent of the mountain so we still exist but the mountain is not supporting racing. Our club and program has been around for decades and now we are at risk. This also puts racing in the entire state at risk since we are the largest club. We are fighting hard to save the season while conducting it in a a safe manner. We'll have some solution but it's unclear yet what it'll be.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

It's public now so I can discuss it but the resort told us on Friday with zero warning that they are completely shutting down racing for this year. The club is independent of the mountain so we still exist but the mountain is not supporting racing. Our club and program has been around for decades and now we are at risk. This also puts racing in the entire state at risk since we are the largest club. We are fighting hard to save the season while conducting it in a a safe manner. We'll have some solution but it's unclear yet what it'll be.

Seems like a strange decision. I guess they don't want to have closed runs so people spread out more?

Winter Park released their plan and it is about as expected. No open ended tickets, no window sales, limited day tickets (maybe none), limited dining, etc.

Winter Park is also adding Ice Bumper Cars this winter. Not sure what it is but it sounds awesome.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

poo poo, I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope you're able to find something that allows the kids to race this season.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I think it's economic related to COVID but not direct COVID risk. The cost of supporting the team including as you mention closing runs and while keeping distances and reducing capacity probably increase the economic stress. Someone probably believes that possibly losing 500+ season tickets and 180+ racers (including YSL but not even including scholastic high school racing) is less than the related costs and complexity.

HookShot posted:

poo poo, I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope you're able to find something that allows the kids to race this season.
Thanks HookShot. I appreciate the thought. We're all fighting to save our season.

We might be a lovely little "mountain" racing club that doesn't produce world class racers but we have put so many kids through the program and helped instill a lifetime love of skiing. I like to point out that we didn't produce Mikaela but her dad raced at our resort when he was a kid and without his love of skiing she might not have become a world class skier.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 15, 2020

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
https://snowbrains.com/someone-cut-the-sea-to-sky-gondola-cable-again/?fbclid=IwAR0PN_-5S9W610kHC-hWim469x7xjE781Bg0JVrLls10JJSCn8jtSXYq-0A

Small mountain ski racing is what makes the die hard skiers imo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

there was a brief glimmer of hope for a moment of the Aus Season continuing for another few weeks with 70cm of snowfall forecast for Friday but it appears to have been a typo.

to think I would have been able to hit 17 days on snow this year was extremely appealing but I am happy with 15. I set a goal of 20 and given the circumstances I feel pretty accomplished and my ability has improved.

aiming for 40 days on snow in 2021. I think I can achieve it with 2 5 day trips + weekends through peak season. might also get certified as an instructor although given im over 35 next year and international travel doesnt look like it will be a thing I probably couldnt make a working holiday anywhere but australia.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yeah, totally agree. There’s nothing quite like racing on small hill conditions and doing 30 runs a day on the one t-bar.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HookShot posted:

Yeah, totally agree. There’s nothing quite like racing on small hill conditions and doing 30 runs a day on the one t-bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0GuIHwmls

Relevant.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Any tips/suggestions/info on Big Sky? My wife and I are going for a few days over New Years (staying at an AirBnB about a mile from the main lifts).

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I love all of Marcus's Return of the Turn series and this one was great too. Yes I love big mountain terrain but I love the local and families vibe of the small hills. That's why I think I love Bridger Bowl so much of all the places I've visited out west. Great terrain with a small mountain vibe and locals who rip.

We're still early in figuring things out but I'm super hopeful that we can save our season. We have so many people - club officers, parents, coaches and alumni of the program pitching in to help save it.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 16, 2020

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Just booked heli drops at Silverton for the weekend of Feb 22nd. If anyone is interested in joining up let me know.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This post I saw on Reddit has me worried, at best, about the ability for Vail/Epic to handle all the traffic required for their reservation systems.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This post I saw on Reddit has me worried, at best, about the ability for Vail/Epic to handle all the traffic required for their reservation systems.

Seems fake. It takes 2 seconds to buy a epic pass for the season. I just did it last week. Maybe this is some discount thing that is different.

E: Although I think today is the last day to use your discount so if people are waiting until the last second there could be a whole lot and Vail doesn't want to crash the system and put in a queue.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Seems fake. It takes 2 seconds to buy a epic pass for the season. I just did it last week. Maybe this is some discount thing that is different.

E: Although I think today is the last day to use your discount so if people are waiting until the last second there could be a whole lot and Vail doesn't want to crash the system and put in a queue.

It’s not fake, there are tons of reports of the same on our local page. Lots of people here had been trying to call (if your situation wasn’t 100% normal you had to) and couldn’t get through for the last week or so at least so I guess there was a ton more traffic today.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, today is the last day is what I heard as well. When I picked my pass up it was no problem at all. What worries me, perhaps just ever so slightly, is that we can assume that almost all passholders will log on the second the reservation window opens up to secure the 7 days they get to reserve early, and that is probably significantly more people than are buying their pass last minute.

That being said, I am interested in some advice on how to best "play the game" in regards to Vail's reservation system. I will be staying in Beaver Creek all February, and it is extremely unlikely I will travel to any other Vail resort outside of Beaver Creek, Vail, Breckenridge. So, how should I use my 7 reservation days? I actually tend to prefer to ski on the weekdays, and will be on vacation so I was thinking about using the weekend as rest days. Obviously I want to ski a lot, probably 4 days out of every 7 I am there, but that quickly equates to more than 7 days that I can reserve "early". My first thought is to use the early reservation days for non Beaver Creek resorts, because I assume that it is the least crowded and likely easiest to get into, and 7 days is probably fine for exploring Vail and Breckenridge while I am there. But I am not sure if this is a terrible plan. My fear is that I drive all the way to Colorado and taking a poo poo ton of vacation time, and only getting to ski 7 times or something.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

amenenema posted:

Any tips/suggestions/info on Big Sky? My wife and I are going for a few days over New Years (staying at an AirBnB about a mile from the main lifts).

Get avy equipment if you're interested in the harder runs. The couloir requires it as does the snowfield next to it and it's highly suggested to have it on a several other areas

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, today is the last day is what I heard as well. When I picked my pass up it was no problem at all. What worries me, perhaps just ever so slightly, is that we can assume that almost all passholders will log on the second the reservation window opens up to secure the 7 days they get to reserve early, and that is probably significantly more people than are buying their pass last minute.

That being said, I am interested in some advice on how to best "play the game" in regards to Vail's reservation system. I will be staying in Beaver Creek all February, and it is extremely unlikely I will travel to any other Vail resort outside of Beaver Creek, Vail, Breckenridge. So, how should I use my 7 reservation days? I actually tend to prefer to ski on the weekdays, and will be on vacation so I was thinking about using the weekend as rest days. Obviously I want to ski a lot, probably 4 days out of every 7 I am there, but that quickly equates to more than 7 days that I can reserve "early". My first thought is to use the early reservation days for non Beaver Creek resorts, because I assume that it is the least crowded and likely easiest to get into, and 7 days is probably fine for exploring Vail and Breckenridge while I am there. But I am not sure if this is a terrible plan. My fear is that I drive all the way to Colorado and taking a poo poo ton of vacation time, and only getting to ski 7 times or something.

I honestly don't have good advice but if you can't ski every weekday at Beaver Creek while you are here (you can book days I think 1-2 weeks out) I will be shocked. Even on a giant powder day on the weekend Beaver Creek is pretty dead. I woudln't be too worried. Do you have touring gear? you would be all set if you do.

What dates will you be here? that will probably influence my answer. I am not sure I will book any days right away. My plan is to ski the resort on Mondays.

HookShot posted:

It’s not fake, there are tons of reports of the same on our local page. Lots of people here had been trying to call (if your situation wasn’t 100% normal you had to) and couldn’t get through for the last week or so at least so I guess there was a ton more traffic today.

Yeah, I figured with my edit. Makes a ton of sense though if you wait until the last minute.

Good news for you is that the border is going to be closed all winter so I would expect Whistler is pretty chill this year. Basing this on our numbers not getting better and them just doing a two month extension on the closure.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It showed up for me, but only had a 30 second wait

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've been considering a 5 day edge card for Whistler, but concerned that it'll be too hard to get reservations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I honestly don't have good advice but if you can't ski every weekday at Beaver Creek while you are here (you can book days I think 1-2 weeks out) I will be shocked. Even on a giant powder day on the weekend Beaver Creek is pretty dead. I woudln't be too worried. Do you have touring gear? you would be all set if you do.

What dates will you be here? that will probably influence my answer. I am not sure I will book any days right away. My plan is to ski the resort on Mondays.

Yeah, I figured with my edit. Makes a ton of sense though if you wait until the last minute.

Good news for you is that the border is going to be closed all winter so I would expect Whistler is pretty chill this year. Basing this on our numbers not getting better and them just doing a two month extension on the closure.

Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping. On the other hand, we’re more likely to shut down if numbers go up because our government hasn’t decided that we’re bored of quarantine and therefore covid is over. I can’t see the border opening for months still. So it could be good. On the other hand this summer was busier than ever here.