Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Chinatown posted:

its a method to cook steak without overcooking it
this is a totally legit way to cook a steak btw especially if you live in an apartment complex and don't want to gently caress with your smoke alarm

"ducasse method" into google will get you a bunch of results, some of which will recommend nonstick pans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Went in for a couple of flats if Sprite, walked out with that plus those raspberry cookies, pot pie, LEGO advent calendars and...PULL APART CHEESE BREAD!!!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oven until 122 then sear. Costco NY Strip for 9/11

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Who eats medium well anymore?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Aside from you I mean.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do but usually for burgers

[img-sickos]

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd need a better shot on the inside of that steak before I judge.

The salt grinders are there to adjust the coarseness of the grain. Not all salt is to be completely dissolved before you bite into it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm really liking this Spyder 1/4 zip "jacket" (it's a sweatshirt). I think it was $30-40.

Mine is like an olive drab with a black technical fabric along the bottom of the arms/sides. I really like earthy colors.

edit: holy poo poo I just checked out Spyder's website and their sweaters START at $229. Their jackets are around $400-500.

It looks neat. What's the composition?

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
The Wahl trimmer/haircut kit is back in stock online - item # 1398697‌

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Re: pepper grinders, get yourself one of these IKEA grinders for $7. They’re a good size, sturdy, efficient, and cheap. I use them with the whole peppercorns I get at Costco.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ikea-3...SBoCf1gQAvD_BwE

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I forgot a few (4) small things that weren't urgent but needed within a week or 2 on my last Costco run and luckily they were all online with free shipping so I ordered them in one order.

4. Different. Packages. Will be arriving on 4 separate days. :shepface:

I guess I somehow picked items from 4 different distribution centers?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I haven’t tried it yet but learned about a new cooking method for steak called the reverse sear where you cook it in the oven on low for like an hour or two, and then eat it in a hot pan at the end. I usually just sous vide mine so not sure if there’s any real advantage here, but I’m gonna try it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Schadenboner posted:

It looks neat. What's the composition?

100% polyester!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:smith:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Biohazard posted:

I haven’t tried it yet but learned about a new cooking method for steak called the reverse sear where you cook it in the oven on low for like an hour or two, and then eat it in a hot pan at the end. I usually just sous vide mine so not sure if there’s any real advantage here, but I’m gonna try it.

Literally what I did.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah I was a bit surprised but I just checked and, welp.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
In Wisconsin Land's End is close enough that other sources of clothing are essentially obsolete/surplus-to-needs but that sweater looked snazzy af and I'm sad it's not cotton.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Chinatown posted:

Ive started using medium heat in a nonstick pan + meat thermometer for my steaks. You don't get a crunchy sear but I think its a great way to get a nice red center and have more time to baste the steak with butter and kirkland minced garlic.

When I have a place where I can rock a charcoal grill trust me, its gonna happen.

why don't you just microwave it and then finish it with a dunk in the toilet

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

bird with big dick posted:

Didn't you agree not to disclose the secret recipes when you took that position at Applebees?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Dick with big bird

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Biohazard posted:

I like reverse sear (particularly if you salt & dry the steak in the fridge overnight first) more than sous vide, for a decent cut it yields a similar results but it's much easier to get a good crust on the sear because the outside of the steak is much drier going into the pan.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

grillster posted:

Didn't you agree not to disclose the secret recipes when you took that position at Applebees?

That NDA will never hold up in court once bird with a big dick's lawyers get through with it. The truth must come out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ah a sous vide fan

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Ah a sous vide fan

lol

btw had one pouch of this for dinner last night. pretty good! with cauliflower rice of course.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Going to Costco today. Very excited.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't know why I keep buying these limited time Lays flavors at Costco, but I actually did end up liking the Fried Green Tomato flavor that I bought yesterday

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Chinatown posted:

lol

btw had one pouch of this for dinner last night. pretty good! with cauliflower rice of course.

it's pricey but worth it. they don't skimp on the chicken

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I will have to keep a lookout for those pouches, I love those premade Indian food pouches, so convenient. Just cook some rice and warm those up however (pot, boil in bag, microwave) and you are set! There is a local brand here in supermarkets but kind of expensive.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Sucky’s chicken tho? :thunk:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I've eaten more then a few of those. I prefer the coconut curry with mango myself.

They taste better then most cheap Indian take out. It's $14 or so for a 2 pack, so it's a pricey solo meal, or a great deal if you split a pack into dinner for 2.

I think costco also sells the Seeds of Change Quinoa/Brown Rice with Garlic microwave pouches. I've mixed those with the curries and had an outstanding meal.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Costco Carl

Carl stood patiently at the entrance to The Costco as the sun set, waiting to greet any members to the warehouse. Of course, it had been quite some time since he had the pleasure of doing so. The Final War and the subsequent death fog had put a damper on foot traffic, yet Carl’s belief in his employer’s brand was unshakeable. Like some others, the Kirkland Signature Reinforced Bunker had saved his life, and Carl was not one to be ungrateful.

“Ah, the discounts, the selection!”, Carl quietly whispered to himself with a grin. Surely this month would be the one to draw all the members back to the warehouse. He had made sure to emphasize the steep savings on all the seasonal items during his radio broadcast ads. Carl had always been a meticulous warehouse employee, even in his early associate days. His colleagues had mocked his dedication to the work. Carl remembered the false courtesies and politeness when he mentioned that he had officially added “Costco” in front of his first name, Carlos. Things did not improve when he shortened Carlos to Carl, or when he subsequently dropped Carl altogether and the other associates refused to call him by his legal name of “Costco”. They told him he was a fool for stocking shelves and tidying the warehouse while the nations of the world destroyed each other. He noted that many of those same employees had chosen to purchase more expensive brands, rather than the Kirkland Signature Certified Death Fog Filtered Mask. Obviously they had chosen poorly. Carl now worked alone in the warehouse, but this fact he did not mind. He had devised ways to manufacture Kirkland products when the supply chains had broken down. The members would appreciate these once loved products. Customer service was incredibly important at Costco, for without customers, Costco was nothing.

At first, Carl thought that he was imagining the figure in the parking lot. The fog did like to play tricks on the mind, especially at night. But the outline of the approaching figure quickly became clearer as they ran towards Carl through the vast and empty parking lot. Carl waved and immediately ushered him indoors into the inviting glow of the warehouse.

“May I see your Costco Card, please”, Carl asked.

The figure presented the white piece of plastic and removed their mask, revealing the face of a middle aged man. To Carl’s displeasure, the man’s face did not match the membership photo.

Noticing the reaction, the man hastily said “It belongs… belonged... to my father. Please, my family just needs a few basic supplies.”

Carl paused for a moment in deliberation, before deciding to allow the man to shop, figuring that there was no way that he would turn down the membership fee at the register after filling up a cart full of items. And hell, someone needed to eat all the samples that he had prepared at the ends of the aisles.

As expected, the man was in awe of the warehouse. Carl walked with him to the exact location of each requested item. This was true customer service. On several occasions, as the pair was quickly walking down an aisle, the man would suddenly stop, dumbstruck at the low price of the menswear or some bag of chips before greedily throwing the item into his cart.

The man had stopped at one point with a disappointed look on his face to ask, “I heard a rumor that you might sell meat? I haven’t seen any though…”

Carl knew this was a stupid question, everyone knew that the refrigerated meat section was always at the back of every warehouse. But it wouldn’t do to insult the man. Customer service, Carl reminded himself. “Of course, sir. We also have plenty of whole roasted chickens left.” Carl allowed himself some pleasure in seeing the man’s reaction as he showed these to him.

In the end, the man had to use two carts and Carl helped push one of them to the check out register. Carl began ringing up the items, embracing the building excitement with his body. This was the moment he truly lived for. When the member would see the total cost of their trip, and would see just how huge their savings were. Carl finally handed the man a long receipt. The man received it gingerly, and began to tremble with joy upon seeing the final total.

“Oh, I almost forgot sir. Would you like anything from the food court?”, asked Carl.
The man’s eyes widened as they fell upon the sign that displayed the ¼ plus all beef hot dog and soda (with refill).
“You have BEEF? But… there are no more cows…how...?”
Carl’s eyes lit up at the mention of Costco’s most famed item. “Oh yes, of course. Still only a dollar fifty after all these years. In fact, I will prepare one for you myself right now.”
The man said nothing in response, and simply dropped to his knees and wept as Carl rushed into the food preparation area.

As Carl lowered his naked body into the large hopper that fed his custom made 100% all beef hot dog maker, he prayed that corporate would forgive him for the lie that he was about to feed to the member. He knew they would eventually look past this one transgression. Was literally satisfying a member’s need not the ultimate form of customer service? And if anything, Carl was indeed an exemplary associate.

Incredible.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Picked up the $13.99 6pack of tonkatsu instant ramen. Because I want to eat rich people instant ramen just once. Feels good to also have a roast chicken In the trunk. Skipped the dog and drink tho so I don’t feel that good about my situation and choices.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

I forgot a few (4) small things that weren't urgent but needed within a week or 2 on my last Costco run and luckily they were all online with free shipping so I ordered them in one order.

4. Different. Packages. Will be arriving on 4 separate days. :shepface:

I guess I somehow picked items from 4 different distribution centers?

From what the other fellow was saying, sounds more like four different manufacturers.

crankybastard
Jan 4, 2005
I spent $700 at Costco two days ago.

Please tell me what PBUC means.

I am an old.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Praise Be Unto Costco

I go to church every week.

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon
My Costco (Washington) brought samples back! All items in single packages: nutella crepes, gogurt, and chocolate covered cherries. All staff in these little plastic pods. I know samples are controversial but it did make my little heart flutter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

Picked up the $13.99 6pack of tonkatsu instant ramen. Because I want to eat rich people instant ramen just once. Feels good to also have a roast chicken In the trunk. Skipped the dog and drink tho so I don’t feel that good about my situation and choices.

That ramen is great on its own. If you want to get fancy you can add some sauteed mushrooms and tofu to the water, hit it with green onion, sprouts, and a raw egg at the end.

You can add enough to make 1 pack 2 full meals worth. I even have some chopsticks and one of those asian soup spoons I use when eating it so I can get the full restaurant feeling.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

They finally had Bitchin' Sauce at my store again after a several month absence. PBUC!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Feels good to also have a roast chicken In the trunk.

this is an odd euphemism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Picked up the $13.99 6pack of tonkatsu instant ramen. Because I want to eat rich people instant ramen just once.

Not really costco related but these are the three best instant noodles (only one is technically ramen)(the Laksa doesn't have microwave instructions you have to cook it in a pan)(the prices are probably bad especially for the Myojo, they go up and down a lot)
https://www.amazon.com/Prima-Taste-Laksa-Mian-185g/dp/B00B5NOQ74/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=laksa+la+mian&qid=1600010730&sr=8-5
https://www.amazon.com/NongShim-Shin-Black-Noodle-Spicy/dp/B017IRZLKQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=shin+black+ramen&qid=1600010817&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.com/Myojo-Ippeic...00010880&sr=8-3