Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Wheeee posted:

While I'd personally agree that Aliens was the most entertaining film in the trilogy, Alien was a phenomenal and incredibly influential film.

Starship Troopers, much as Robocop before it, was a one-and-done IP.

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder would like to speak to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/YesYoureRacist/status/1304670462220394497?s=20
this is very stupid

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc8qbcIMZVg

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I’m a lot more forgiving on the MCU than the internet circles I run in but that’s a pretty dumb take

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Soup du Jour posted:

I’m a lot more forgiving on the MCU than the internet circles I run in but that’s a pretty dumb take

why is it dumb?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
it's okay to hate stuff for the sole reason that it's made by a multi billion dollar conglomerate

but also, this is a really dumb critique. marvel movies might superficially show that having an unaccountable team of superpowered cops running the world has some downsides, but at the end of the movie the avengers still exist. does every marvel movie actually have a sad ending and us dumb leftists just can't see it? or is the moral of every marvel movie just "not all cops are bad"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aglet56 posted:

it's okay to hate stuff for the sole reason that it's made by a multi billion dollar conglomerate

but also, this is a really dumb critique. marvel movies might superficially show that having an unaccountable team of superpowered cops running the world has some downsides, but at the end of the movie the avengers still exist. does every marvel movie actually have a sad ending and us dumb leftists just can't see it? or is the moral of every marvel movie just "not all cops are bad"

I don't think every Marvel movie has the same message.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I mean all of them, like all superhero movies, boil down to "unaccountable law enforcement is good when implemented properly"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

coathat posted:

The niche audience of blockbuster sci fi movie fans and the biggest selling sci fi novle of all time

Yeah, after all John Carter was a smash blockbuster hit, so there's no reason why an adaptation of another 60 year old sci-fi novel wouldn't be.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Aglet56 posted:

they never spend too much time dwelling on the role of superheroes in the modern world because that shits boring and results in dreary nonsense like the dc movies. that also creates its own kind of nosnese, like no one stopping to consider that tonys stark dumbass obsession with drones has almost ended the world like 3 times and maybe its a bad idea in the first place

but tbf the winter soldier movie does talk about what the tweet says and its the best marvel movie.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

sebmojo posted:

why is it dumb?

well aside from that really only being the theme of the second captain america movie they also super undercut its ending in the second spiderman when having a killsat is totally fine as long as tony stark made it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There are the Marvel movies where the villains are corporations or off brand Nazi's that have infiltrated the government, but there are others where the cia or the air force are played as heroes.

Also Tony Stark inventing limitless free energy but the movies have to be set in our reality so it just has to be hand waved away.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

babypolis posted:

but tbf the winter soldier movie does talk about what the tweet says and its the best marvel movie.

Winter Soldier rocked because it avoided "anime" battles with a focus more practical fight set pieces like the glorious elevator beat-down scene.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is Michael Bay the ultimate hollywood satirist or just the endgame for hollywood blockbusters?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Soup du Jour posted:

well aside from that really only being the theme of the second captain america movie they also super undercut its ending in the second spiderman when having a killsat is totally fine as long as tony stark made it

and then gave sole control over to a horny 17 year old, lmao.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
winter soldier was good because Nick Fury mows down a troop of cops with a minigun

watched Age of Ultron for the first time recently and godawful loving movie

james spader tried as much as he did to carry it but Joss Whedon was too successful in his attempt to make a lovely movie

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wheeee posted:

While I'd personally agree that Aliens was the most entertaining film in the trilogy, Alien was a phenomenal and incredibly influential film.

Starship Troopers, much as Robocop before it, was a one-and-done IP.

Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

please dont just start listing off all the plot details of the dumb baby superhero movies and assessing how woke they are everyone

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

watched siege of jadotville on Netflix; its a pretty ok war movie about a bunch of Irish un peacekeepers fighting in the Congo after Patrice Lumamba was killed; loses points for making almost all the named characters white but picks some back up for straight up admitting Dag Hammarskjold was assassinated

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Is Michael Bay the ultimate hollywood satirist or just the endgame for hollywood blockbusters?

probably both

I think the compelling smg argument is that bay sees everything grotesque and awful about america and loves it

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

homeland might be worse than 24

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

just loving loving this show

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

homeland might be worse than 24

the last bit i saw of homeland was mandy patakin trying to convince brody to go to iran to assasinate some high ranking general and he frames it as just setting things right between two nations who havent been on speaking terms, lmao

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

sebmojo posted:

why is it dumb?

the DoD sponsors marvel movies. did with transformers too. not some crank conspiracy theory either

https://archive.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=516

in their own words even lol. absolutely cannot be woke if the literal military industrial complex is involved in your production imo

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 08:23 on Sep 13, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

babypolis posted:

the last bit i saw of homeland was mandy patakin trying to convince brody to go to iran to assasinate some high ranking general and he frames it as just setting things right between two nations who havent been on speaking terms, lmao

yeah that bit is unbelievable, it really leaves you in awe at the stupidity of the writer(s)
he's portraying iran as this insular stubborn regime that refuses to talk to america and that's the whole problem here lol, if the iranians only had someone in charge who was under the thumb of the CIA things would get better
the rest of the show is in the same vein, the politics are pure democrats.txt, socially liberal with psycho foreign policy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i only saw one season of homeland and the main thing i remember is that they accidentally make the osama bin laden analog so sympathetic that he has to murder the idiot medical student in front of whatshername just so that we know hes an rear end in a top hat

like never mind that the kid getting hoodwinked by a spook pretending to be a reporter makes him a perfect proof of concept for why white people cant be trusted killing him in front of whatshername instead of at the home base only makes sense if hes trying to gently caress with her and why would a terrorist ever assume that a spook has emotional feelings about an asset

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

i only saw one season of homeland and the main thing i remember is that they accidentally make the osama bin laden analog so sympathetic that he has to murder the idiot medical student in front of whatshername just so that we know hes an rear end in a top hat

that happens a lot, the IRGC guy saul turns kills his ex wife with a broken bottle and her daughter from another marriage as well, and it's for no reason other than "she divorced me XX years ago!"
like you said, the enemies have to be complete monsters because otherwise what the gang is doing is loving monstrous
oh and russiagate is there in the last couple of seasons, and a fake news guy as well, it's like a laundry list of lib grievances

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

that happens a lot, the IRGC guy saul turns kills his ex wife with a broken bottle and her daughter from another marriage as well, and it's for no reason other than "she divorced me XX years ago!"
like you said, the enemies have to be complete monsters because otherwise what the gang is doing is loving monstrous
oh and russiagate is there in the last couple of seasons, and a fake news guy as well, it's like a laundry list of lib grievances

This is extremely common in pop culture about terrorism in general. Just about every "Muslim terrorist" movie or TV show I've ever seen that aspired to be more sophisticated than 24, up to and including the recent abomination that was Jack Ryan Season One, gives the antagonist a sympathetic backstory like "unjust American military action murdered my entire family" to try and make them deep and complex instead of one-note, and often has scenes where they shock a main character by being nice and decent and hospitable to them, to show how they're an intelligent intellectual human being with feelings and emotions.

And then the writers realize, oh poo poo we've made the villain far more sympathetic than the heroes who are just working to perpetuate the state of affairs that led to this tragic backstory. So then they have a scene where out of nowhere this refined, empathetic person just like randomly tortures someone to death or rapes a woman or summarily executes one of the good guys or murders an entire church with sarin gas, so that you're reminded that no matter what this person's motivations might be, they are an Evil Villain Who Must Be Stopped.

The end result tends to be a muddled message along the lines of "it's bad that we continually commit violence against Muslims, but it's much, much worse if they ever try to fight back because even the intelligent empathetic ones are barbarous people who, unlike us, don't feel bad about murdering innocents." It's really hosed up and imo a much more insidious form of Islamophobia than just making caricatures of Muslim terrorist villains with no empathetic backstory. At least the caricatures can be contradicted by real-world experiences of meeting Muslims and learning that they're just normal people, but the empathetic villains tell audiences to always be scared of all Muslims everywhere at all times, because even the ones who seem nice and have legitimate grievances against Western imperialism will murder you in a heartbeat because they're just evil to their bones.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its sucks bigly that the last role phillip seymour hoffman did was one of those the villains literally a widely respected arab philanthropist whos actually a secret fifth columnist that launders money for terrorists and were just supposed to ignore that the dude who spends most of the movie being set up as a patsy is explicitly the victim of a state sponsored torture program

its a much smoother shell game nominally the other intelligence agencies are the bad guys because they think hoffmans ninth dimensional chess game is dumb and that the philanthropist is as big a catch as theyre gonna get the movie plays up the spy strategy so hard its easy to forget that all the various espionage units have basically the exact same motivation assumptions and moral scruples their only meaningful disagreement is tactical

something to keep in mind about a most wanted man is that this reading is obvious and intuitive because its explicitly a deep complex movie about spies and terrorists but the same baseline worldbuilding is all over hollywood throw in a couple of lines about how military contracting is bad and thats all anyone remembers about iron man everyone just completely forgets that the main thing he actually does with the suit is blow the poo poo out of terrorists he obviously doesnt disagree with the idea that we should be blowing the poo poo out of terrorists he just thinks were doing it wrong

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

To fight the Bug, we must understand the Bug.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

i just watched the dune trailer, it looks like such poo poo lol

just some weak rear end edward scissor hand looking kid playing paul

they should have got baron trump to play paul

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Sep 13, 2020

Serf
May 5, 2011

how strong could a kid who's 15 really look? i would have liked to have seen jodorowsky's 10-hour epic where paul would be played by his 12 year old son who trained in swords and martial arts for 6 hours a day over 3 years to get ready for the role

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the kids like men who look like that now. get with the times, pops

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Serf posted:

how strong could a kid who's 15 really look? i would have liked to have seen jodorowsky's 10-hour epic where paul would be played by his 12 year old son who trained in swords and martial arts for 6 hours a day over 3 years to get ready for the role

not strong, intense and weird

kyle McLaughlin was intense in the lynch movie, just staring like a motherfucker during those internal monologue sequences

with this kid it's like "oh, yeah, that's my son who plays video games"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Farm Frenzy posted:

the boys s2 is insane hbo watchmen continues to be btfo

that shot of the car driving by the barn with homelander but his cape is the confederate flag

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

why is it dumb?

https://twitter.com/YesYoureRacist/status/1304671926875500544

specifically with regards to The Winter Soldier, it presents Hydra as this Nazi sub-faction that managed to infiltrate the US government at all levels, and then over the course of the series of movies (including bits of Marvel's SHIELD) Hydra is pretty much completely defeated and excised.

it's only a metaphor for Operation Paperclip in the vaguest possible terms, and is arguably actively misleading because A. the US government was not "infiltrated" by Nazis, the US actively poached and harbored the Nazis, and B. there was no purge or removal of far-right elements from the government - they were all there until they died out, and they passed on their ideology to the next generation of the ruling elite

on one level, Hydra is this fictional organization, so how is the viewer supposed to take away that this is supposed to be representative for what the US government did or is still doing, and on another level, Hydra was also defeated, so how is the viewer supposed to take away that this is even still a problem?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I did appreciate that the movie ended with SHIELD being shut down entirely because the agency was rotten to the core despite some supposedly good apples.

Of course, that was before the next few MCU movies backpedaled on it hard.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

you know what has a good depiction of the cultural and political consequences of operation paperclip? the boys season 2 baby

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

raised by wolves has gone from the most exciting premise i may have ever seen for a tv show to absolute garbage in just a few episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I mean it looked pretty garbage in the trailer I watched. I admit I didn't really investigate much more than the trailer though. what exactly threw you?