Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Thanks for the interest! So my understanding after a bunch of reading is that to convert one of these 90's MTB frames you actually want a size smaller than you'd ride normally because of the hilariously long top tubes that were standard geometry for the era. My Rockhopper frame fit me when I was 14 (it is a '98) and it's a 19" or somewhere between M and L today (I ride a L in most modern MTB frames @ 6'1" with a 35.25 cycling inseam - all legs baby!) Because of the compact geo, you end up with really long seatposts to compensate. The stock post was a 350mm and to have it at the right height was about an inch outside of the minimum insert line. I picked up a 400mm Thompson (zero setback) but am going to put a 20mm setback post on it (Promax SP-1, which oddly appears to be the only non-Thompson 400mm+ setback post - I hate the Thompson "bend" for setback). I thought the zero setback would work, but because the front is lower now (non-suspension corrected solid fork) the seattube angle is effectively steeper, and I'm too over the center of balance which puts a lot of weight on my hands.

Here's a short summary post and a before/after comparison - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&noseen=1&postid=505919389#post505919389 I went with a 90mm stem and 46cm Salsa Cowbell bars vs the 110mm stem and 42cm compact drops on my road bike.

Kimbo - yeah I know I know. Veloce is great (and is even better cuz it's rebuildable, which I've already done on one brifter once without even removing it from the bike!) but I am really liking the "one lever for everything" of Sram. And since it's a made in USA CAAD it just feels right to have Sram on it. Insert "loving SRAM" gif here.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

amenenema posted:

Thanks for the interest! So my understanding after a bunch of reading is that to convert one of these 90's MTB frames you actually want a size smaller than you'd ride normally because of the hilariously long top tubes that were standard geometry for the era. My Rockhopper frame fit me when I was 14 (it is a '98) and it's a 19" or somewhere between M and L today (I ride a L in most modern MTB frames @ 6'1" with a 35.25 cycling inseam - all legs baby!) Because of the compact geo, you end up with really long seatposts to compensate. The stock post was a 350mm and to have it at the right height was about an inch outside of the minimum insert line. I picked up a 400mm Thompson (zero setback) but am going to put a 20mm setback post on it (Promax SP-1, which oddly appears to be the only non-Thompson 400mm+ setback post - I hate the Thompson "bend" for setback). I thought the zero setback would work, but because the front is lower now (non-suspension corrected solid fork) the seattube angle is effectively steeper, and I'm too over the center of balance which puts a lot of weight on my hands.

Here's a short summary post and a before/after comparison - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&noseen=1&postid=505919389#post505919389 I went with a 90mm stem and 46cm Salsa Cowbell bars vs the 110mm stem and 42cm compact drops on my road bike.

Kimbo - yeah I know I know. Veloce is great (and is even better cuz it's rebuildable, which I've already done on one brifter once without even removing it from the bike!) but I am really liking the "one lever for everything" of Sram. And since it's a made in USA CAAD it just feels right to have Sram on it. Insert "loving SRAM" gif here.

I'll shed no tears over replacing Veloce, but I'm just gonna say, that bike would look tight AF with 10spd record carbon shifters.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My 1986 De Rosa.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

jet sanchEz posted:

My 1986 De Rosa.

sploosh.

God, that crankset.

Normally I say De Rosas should be blue but that red is very choice.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

amenenema posted:

Rockhopper conversion

I am now convinced that my Rockhopper is a ~'93 after some googling.

I recently put back the stubby tires and I think I have no need for a third gravel bike, so it will stay this way or I'll get the road tires back on and use it for groceries. Not sure what I want to do with it, but I am never getting rid of it because it's too purple

Otherwise, I've just been using it to practice hopping and wheelies in the park

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mauser posted:

I am now convinced that my Rockhopper is a ~'93 after some googling.

I recently put back the stubby tires and I think I have no need for a third gravel bike, so it will stay this way or I'll get the road tires back on and use it for groceries. Not sure what I want to do with it, but I am never getting rid of it because it's too purple

Otherwise, I've just been using it to practice hopping and wheelies in the park

https://medium.com/@jamesacklin/specialized-rockhopper-enduro-allroad-prototype-bc575532d320

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

jet sanchEz posted:

My 1986 De Rosa.

:eyepop:*Beavis and Butthead boing noise*

I finally took a photo while out on a ride today, instead of just stretching out my back and then riding on. Lovely day, spring rules.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

This is way more involved than I am able to get at this point, but maybe one day~

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

jet sanchEz posted:

My 1986 De Rosa.

Good god, that is perfect

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Really like this bike. And the riding is pretty nice around here.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Love those switchbacks. The bike is nice too.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
That bichael is a thing of beauty.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Still need to get the settings dialed in on the Trust
https://i.imgur.com/4qO6u19.mp4

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Oh cool, how do you like it? The design of those is wicked, its a really cool idea.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

Oh cool, how do you like it? The design of those is wicked, its a really cool idea.

Still learning how it behaves, but it jibes with the reviews of it out there — stiff but offers stability and precision. I wrote more in the mtb thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933905&perpage=40&noseen=1#post507155639

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Quoting myself from 2013

jet sanchEz posted:

I snagged a 1973-ish Cinelli Speciale Corsa yesterday for $200. It is a little rough but, holy poo poo, it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. The chrome lugs are rusty but most of it appears to be surface rust only. It should be a fun winter project.

It sat for many years and then I had the idea to make a French-fit gravel grinder out of it. Still a work in progress, as you can see, but those are 32mm Gravel King slicks on there and they feel great on the road.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

jet sanchEz posted:

Quoting myself from 2013

It sat for many years and then I had the idea to make a French-fit gravel grinder out of it. Still a work in progress, as you can see, but those are 32mm Gravel King slicks on there and they feel great on the road.

That's even cooler than the De Rosa

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Found a good wall

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jet sanchEz posted:

My 1986 De Rosa.

C-Record crank, and a Shimano 600 RD? smh :colbert:

(that bike is sick)

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Every gravel bike is a road bike!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
God that thing is sick

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Thanks!

So any reason why this wouldn't work as a carbon fork for it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Zoll-MT...353.m1438.l2649

26", 1 1/8, threadless, canti. Hard combo to find!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

amenenema posted:

Thanks!

So any reason why this wouldn't work as a carbon fork for it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Zoll-MT...353.m1438.l2649

26", 1 1/8, threadless, canti. Hard combo to find!

Measure your axle to crown and see if it's in the ballpark of 420 mm

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I bet it is. Mid-late 90s mountain bikes were generally designed around a 63-80mm fork, which is about 420.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I am a Honda Accord biker - this is my bike - a cheap-ish hybrid, used mostly to tow around a 2 year old and keep me not super fat (just like kinda fat).

It has reflectors (what's wrong with reflectors, they keep you safe at night!), a kickstand, no cool drop bars, is heavy-ish, and not very fast (though that is probably just because I'm not very fast rather than the Bike itself).

Bicycles are cool and fun and I've had this thing for 4 years and it has been an incredible purchase - maybe one day I'll put in enough time, or put in enough effort to deserve something cooler.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 8, 2020

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Sab0921 posted:

I am a Honda Accord biker - this is my bike - a cheap-ish hybrid, used mostly to tow around a 2 year old and keep me not super fat (just like kinda fat).

It has reflectors (what's wrong with reflectors, they keep you safe at night!), a kickstand, no cool drop bars, is heavy-ish, and not very fast (though that is probably just because I'm not very fast rather than the Bike itself).

Bicycles are cool and fun and I've had this thing for 4 years and it has been an incredible purchase - maybe one day I'll put in enough time, or put in enough effort to deserve something cooler.

Excellent crotch-fruit chariot. I sense a tiny balance bike in your future!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Excellent crotch-fruit chariot. I sense a tiny balance bike in your future!

Definitely - he just turned 2, so I think still a little small for it, but it's coming! Bicycles are freedom for children.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

jet sanchEz posted:

My 1986 De Rosa.

:discourse:

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I finally finished this build after having the frame for over a month.

2017 Surly Troll

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I love it

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Took the journeyman, fully loaded with beer and fishing poo poo, onto a trail I did a couple of times on my old Fargo and usually do on my FS bike. The snow and mud made it even spicier than I expected, and it was a loving blast.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Koth posted:

I finally finished this build after having the frame for over a month.

2017 Surly Troll

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
NBD

Needed a lightweight travel bike with an easy-to-remove fork so it'd fit in my case. 17.4 lbs as pictured. Steel, still real.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

spf3million posted:

NBD

Needed a lightweight travel bike with an easy-to-remove fork so it'd fit in my case. 17.4 lbs as pictured. Steel, still real.

Super nice :discourse:

My 853 bike at similar state is 3 lbs heavier (disc brakes, gravel fork/wheels/tires - twice as many spokes haha). Edit: and fillet brazed so there's big gobs of brass in the joints.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 14, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
holy SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e.pilot posted:

holy SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

That fucker didn’t powdercoat the work cart handle as a courtesy.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hnnnnnnnng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

bicievino posted:

Hnnnnnnnng

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnng