Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Quoting from sci fi wi fi bc holy poo poo JK

Angepain posted:

apparently jk's new 944-page robert galbraith detective novel is about a "transvestite serial killer"

can't even be transphobic in a creative or novel way i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Holy poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Famously progressive newspaper *checks notes* The Telegraph have written a short article on it if you want to read it:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1305093424413016065

quote:

his fifth instalment in JK Rowling’s pseudonymous series continues to chronicle the prolonged will-they-won’t-they relationship between private eyes Cormoran Strike and Robin Ellacott.

One obstacle has at last been cleared: Robin has now separated from her weaselly husband Matthew. There’s not much time for romance, however, with dying relatives, pervy colleagues, estranged parents and suicidal ex-partners preoccupying the dynamic duo as much as their work.

Rowling/Galbraith always writes well about her characters’ personal lives, although there is nothing here that quite matches her superbly well-observed portrait of the breakdown of Robin’s marriage in the last book. Nevertheless, Rowling’s recent revelation that she was sexually assaulted as a young woman adds an extra poignancy to her depiction of how Robin’s similar experiences drive her desire to help life’s victims.

The meat of the book is the investigation into a cold case: the disappearance of GP Margot Bamborough in 1974, thought to have been a victim of Dennis Creed, a transvestite serial killer. One wonders what critics of Rowling’s stance on trans issues will make of a book whose moral seems to be: never trust a man in a dress. As Strike and Robin try to uncover the truth, the novel’s 900 pages unfold as a series of interminable conversations with various elderly witnesses, and there is an almost perverse lack of excitement.

Although novels about decades-old crimes often lack a sense of urgency, there can be a compensatory depth: see for example Agatha Christie’s masterly Five Little Pigs. But, pleasant reading though it is, there’s little here to justify the book being twice as long as the early Strike novels. In those, Rowling expertly kept plot, character, tension and pace in perfect balance; she ought to reread them before she embarks on the sixth book.

"a series of interminable conversations with various elderly" would be a decent thread title also.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Sep 13, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Famously progressive newspaper *checks notes* The Telegraph have written a short article on it if you want to read it:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1305093424413016065

"a series of interminable conversations with various elderly" would be a decent thread title also.

quote:

Cormoran Strike

haha goddamn she should've brainstormed a little longer to find a better ~coolname~

fuckin George Lucas came up with better ones than that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TheCantinaMusicIsCalledJizz.jpg

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Call me a lazybones, but I'm not reading nine hundred pages of anyone's prose. In audiobook form, it's 31 hours long.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Suggesting that JK Rowling needs an editor is actually an attack on real natal women and you will be hearing from my lawyer, graham linehan in a barrister's wig.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
her novel clearly warns against men in wigs though?

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Suggesting that JK Rowling needs an editor is actually an attack on real natal women and you will be hearing from my lawyer, graham linehan in a barrister's wig.

Oh ho ho so the joke is it's a man in a..

Zetsubou-san posted:

..gently caress beaten

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was tempted to try for a "man in a dress" joke because barristers also wear those but thought I would just come off in poor taste.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

bony tony posted:

Call me a lazybones, but I'm not reading nine hundred pages of anyone's prose. In audiobook form, it's 31 hours long.

That's the same length as The Brothers Karamazov. And when you think about it, isn't Dostoevsky's questions about faith, free will, and the place of the Orthodox Church in the modern world also a question of whether you can ever trust a man in a dress?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Zetsubou-san posted:

sick of Applebees posted:

..gently caress beaten

Whether they think it's true or not, that's one of the things they throw at us constantly

OwlFancier posted:

I was tempted to try for a "man in a dress" joke because barristers also wear those but thought I would just come off in poor taste.
It certainly would have. Thank you for your consideration

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Sep 13, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Transphobia sounds exhausting. They're so angry over nothing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Has anyone made a point of the fact that Rowling writes under a male pseudonym?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I gather the name specifically is also of some weirdo who had very strong Views on how to "treat" LGBT people for their "mental disorder" but unfortunately the name is quite had to google now, subtractive filtering only gives me the name of some 19th century engineer who I don't think is the same person.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Whether they think it's true or not, that's one of the things they throw at us constantly

that is utterly buck wild to me, because I know zero trans women who habitually wear wigs. they mainly seem to just let their hair grow out, because why wouldn't you, it's just hair. what would you need with a wig.

OwlFancier posted:

I gather the name specifically is also of some weirdo who had very strong Views on how to "treat" LGBT people for their "mental disorder" but unfortunately the name is quite had to google now, subtractive filtering only gives me the name of some 19th century engineer who I don't think is the same person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Galbraith_Heath

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Yeah he was a guy who pioneered electroshock therapy to "cure" gays iirc, very charming name for her to pick

e: I was riiiight. Goddamn shes venomous.

Bismuth has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Sep 13, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's why I couldn't google it, forgot that it wasn't quite the same name.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Has anyone made a point of the fact that Rowling writes under a male pseudonym?

Unfortunately they would probably think that supports their TERFy point, because she doesn't actually identify as male, she just chose to present as first androgynous (JK instead of Joanne) and then male (under her pen name) for instrumental reasons, which is basically what they accuse trans women of doing.

The far stronger gotcha from her literary work is in Harry Potter when Hermione drinks some potion that turns her into a man physically, but continues to be referred to as "she" the whole time by the narrator because internally she still identifies as Hermione even though her exterior physiology has become temporarily male.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Do you ever notice that people say JBP, Rowling, Trump etc can't possibly be racist or sexist, and then accidentally say the quiet part loud a minute later?

Yesterday I was playing video games with a Trump supporter so I mercilessly abused them and verbally assaulted them. They were saying not all Trump supports are racist, but as soon as I called them a Nazi they bust out George Floyd slurs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's adaptation to their environment, they learn (and possibly even internalise, to a degree) that being racist/sexist/transphobic is bad and will put a lot of people off if they open with it, but they also are racist/sexist/transphobic and therefore they either come up with semi-sincere wankery to resolve that dissonance (gender critical, human biodiversity) or have learned to cloak it in "acceptable" language as an argumentation tactic.

Which is why going mask off is liberating for them, either they can express themselves openly which feels good, or they find the true expression of what they actually believe without all the progressive sounding verbal contortion behind it which also feels good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh what the gently caress

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

xtal posted:

Do you ever notice that people say JBP, Rowling, Trump etc can't possibly be racist or sexist, and then accidentally say the quiet part loud a minute later?

Yesterday I was playing video games with a Trump supporter so I mercilessly abused them and verbally assaulted them. They were saying not all Trump supports are racist, but as soon as I called them a Nazi they bust out George Floyd slurs.
These are people who think “nazi” and “terf” are equivalent to slurs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

These are people who think “nazi” and “terf” are equivalent to slurs.
Some people never had to do those experiments in high school where you had to wear glasses/plugs and pretend to be blind or deaf or use a cane for a week, and you can really tell.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

xtal posted:

https://twitter.com/kurtisconner/status/1304936443882733569

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Some people never had to do those experiments in high school where you had to wear glasses/plugs and pretend to be blind or deaf or use a cane for a week, and you can really tell.

I...don't think that's a standard high school experience.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pity then. Empathy training is a thing.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

that is utterly buck wild to me, because I know zero trans women who habitually wear wigs. they mainly seem to just let their hair grow out, because why wouldn't you, it's just hair. what would you need with a wig.
I mean, like 90% of the trans women I've ever known do for the same reason other Black women do. And some girls didn't start transitioning under testosterone done took their hair and have some seriously understandable issues with it.

The crux of it is that these poo poo-eating mediocrities really can't tell the difference between us and drag queens or crossdressers and have no idea what hormones actually do to a girl, a societal misconception definitely not helped by poo poo like this

(Eddie Redmayne too, but he's just objectively prettier)

I can't tell you how many times I've been told that my implants don't make me a woman (I don't have implants), nor wearing a "frock and lippy" (I wear a dress rarely and makeup even more rarely) or that I'm reniforcing HARMFUL GENDER STEREOTYPES by being a butch-ish trans woman who doesn't do voice training or tuck her joanson away or hide being a trans person even when she can and all that happy horseshit--both by idiots who believe it or by people who very much don't but know that the idiots wil and give absolutely no fucks that what they say on mumsent or spinster today will be on kiwifarms or stormfront next week.

This should tell you everything you know about who a lot of these people loving are

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I seem to recall there being a very poor portrayal of a trans character on another cormoran strike book, but don’t remember if they were the killer or not.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta ask: is "joanson" a typo or a genuinely used term I've never heard before? Because either way, it's brilliant.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ambitious Spider posted:

I seem to recall there being a very poor portrayal of a trans character on another cormoran strike book, but don’t remember if they were the killer or not.

CW: transphobic threats posted:

“‘If you[, an uncooperative trans woman witness,] go for that door one more time I’m calling the police and I’ll testify and be glad to watch you go down for attempted murder. And it won’t be fun for you Pippa,’ he added. ‘Not pre-op.’”

scumaliom
Feb 8, 2019
https://twitter.com/vinn_ayy/status/1304911296756961280

Someone kill me

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Gotta ask: is "joanson" a typo or a genuinely used term I've never heard before? Because either way, it's brilliant.
Neither, I just have a talent for creative euphemism :j:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

scumaliom posted:

Someone kill me

I was half dead in the first 10 seconds and not in the funny laughing to death way

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Jesus loving christ.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

bony tony posted:

you should read, some books are very good

there wolf posted:

That's the same length as The Brothers Karamazov.

like that one, read that one

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

ah, sweet lady satire

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

A strange Goldblum vibe

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

xtal posted:

I'm glad to see eggs, splatter marks and whatever else on that stupid billboard. Was hopeful that'd be the case and I assume it'd have been comprehensively defaced had it been left there. And people say there's no good in the human race lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

tuck her joanson

I'd never heard this before and thought at first it was a typo then figured it out. Anyway I just wanted to say it made me laugh out loud so thank you for introducing me to a new term :)