Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Not to derail but the awful app is unironically good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Good marketing move: word of mouth from having a good product.

Also: being free

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Elviscat posted:

I am literally a cat, and it's sooooooo hard to type coherently walking on the keyboard.

gkwrr'j b'jrgjw[kbebrM'\KNBSM'APTNP5YC

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/2saddington/status/1304626966302265345?s=21

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Perestroika posted:

It may be apocryphal, but IIRC it all started with Facebook wanting to push some new video functionality of theirs, so they falsified their metrics to say that people were way more likely to click on videos than they actually were. That then caused a ripple effect making all sorts of advertisers and news organizations switch to short videos as their main way to deliver content.

I don't know about fake clicks, but I do know that they pushed video super hard, set them to autoplay, and claimed every started video was a deliberate view

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my greatest reason for hating everything being in videos is how videogame guides have a 10 min video for a sub 20 second puzzle solutions.

like even the no commentary videos have a ton of filler.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PhazonLink posted:

my greatest reason for hating everything being in videos is how videogame guides have a 10 min video for a sub 20 second puzzle solutions.

Ughhh, I hate this so much. I've spent way too much time dealing with this, even just this weekend I've run into multiple videos explaining things at length that could be summarized in fifteen words or less :smithicide:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Perestroika posted:

It may be apocryphal, but IIRC it all started with Facebook wanting to push some new video functionality of theirs, so they falsified their metrics to say that people were way more likely to click on videos than they actually were. That then caused a ripple effect making all sorts of advertisers and news organizations switch to short videos as their main way to deliver content.

Its not that apocryphal. Its a combination of Facebook allowing no 3rd party measurement of any of their performance, having video products they wanted to push, and sloppy tracking processes. Everyone in higher management at the companies that went all in on video listened to Facebook because they didn't know better and Facebook exploited its role as being hipper and cooler than the experts they already had on their payroll.

It is one of the scuzziest open secrets Ive seen and destroyed companies that bought into the hype.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Adam Conover, of Adam Ruins Everything fame, made a thread in Twitter about how Facebook screwed over College Humor.

https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1183209875859333120?s=21

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Back in the day you had to constantly fight off intrusive ads on dodgy pirate streaming sits, but now that's literally normal, as well as the video you have to manually stop.

The whole 'pivot to video' thing still turned out to be bullshit that no one actually wanted, right?

Perestroika posted:

No that's a hundred percent what happened.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/10/facebook-online-video-pivot-metrics-false.html

quote:

Facebook was only counting views longer than three seconds in its “average,” and thus completely ignoring the vast majority of people who were scrolling right past them.

edit: oh hey, new page

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gann Jerrod posted:

Adam Conover, of Adam Ruins Everything fame, made a thread in Twitter about how Facebook screwed over College Humor.

https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1183209875859333120?s=21

I'm still not sure if i'm supposed to feel bad for them? They had a business model that worked and was fine and supported them and then went "Number go up?!" and went a different way and it backfired

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

I'm still not sure if i'm supposed to feel bad for them? They had a business model that worked and was fine and supported them and then went "Number go up?!" and went a different way and it backfired

But they did that based on information from Facebook that was deliberately misleading, which FB released so that people would go that different way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Len posted:

Facebook committed fraud, but if you trusted Facebook, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

The bosses aren’t blameless here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Platystemon posted:

Facebook committed fraud, but if you trusted Facebook, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

The bosses aren’t blameless here.

Right, I'm not defending Facebook because they're absolutely evil in every way, but the powers that run the companies probably shouldn't have immediately believed them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:yeah:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How is it that I access a website for a story and at least 70% of my screen is taken up by bullshit ads, automatically playing videos, suggestions, and other nonsense?? Is there going to be an end to this?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

This sucks rear end. Another problem is loving Fandom wikis taking over search results. They always have a lot of information about a thing I'm looking for but never the pertinent information I need. For example, say I'm trying to find what a particular demon is weak to in Persona 5. The Persona 5 Fandom wiki will have everything about the demon's backstory, the real life inspiration behind it, all appearances in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise. Won't tell me what it's weakness is or a strategy to beat it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How is it that I access a website for a story and at least 70% of my screen is taken up by bullshit ads, automatically playing videos, suggestions, and other nonsense?? Is there going to be an end to this?

I haven't computed recently, but I imagine there are a variety of adblockers and/or specialized browsers available.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I haven't computed recently, but I imagine there are a variety of adblockers and/or specialized browsers available.

Also if you are on your phone, not sure about apple, you can use firefox and install ublock origin

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Agrinja posted:

Not to derail but the awful app is unironically good.

Beachcomber posted:

Get the Awful app and change your life.

Phlegmish posted:

You don't have the Awful app on your phone? Get it ASAP.

I don't even know which goon developed it, but we should be erecting statues in their honor. They've done more to keep this place alive than Richard 'Toesnax' Kyanka.

- posted from my Motorola

I just installed it and tried the dreaded Cute thread and... it worked perfectly, no more crashes !!!

Thank you all for the recommend - I had completely forgotten that the app even existed, I think because when I first heard about it it was years and years ago and still at a fairly buggy dev stage. No more raging at huge unpausable phone-crashing embedded videos that have been quoted like seven times on one page for ol Pookah.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Detective No. 27 posted:

This sucks rear end. Another problem is loving Fandom wikis taking over search results. They always have a lot of information about a thing I'm looking for but never the pertinent information I need. For example, say I'm trying to find what a particular demon is weak to in Persona 5. The Persona 5 Fandom wiki will have everything about the demon's backstory, the real life inspiration behind it, all appearances in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise. Won't tell me what it's weakness is or a strategy to beat it.

World of Warcraft solved this by having a wiki for story and lore, and an separate wiki for purely gameplay information so you'll always click on the site that specifically doesn't have the information you want.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Actually, the weakness and stat information is there in the Megami Tensei wiki, but as a sacrifice in its attempt to be all things to all people, you'll only find that information below...

-Brief description
-The demon's historical relevance in real life
-A list of times it's appeared in all SMT games (without links to information about that one appearance)
-Entries about its appearance in the story of any SMT game that someone's felt inclined to write about (this may include compendium entries for games that they're in without being story-relevant too)
-The stat blocks, movelist and weaknesses of every time that demon has turned up in the series before the game you're looking for, largely but not always in chronological order; since you're looking for P5, that's almost the entire series

The information is there, it just takes... well, more comprehension than it should.

EDIT: I should say, this is largely down to what wiki you end up looking at, because different ones have VASTLY different standards. The Final Fantasy wiki is actually really good about being succinct, giving gameplay information first, and breaking things down by game. On the other hand, I remember having to check the Assassin's Creed wiki for something about a place in AC2, and it was basically a copy-paste from Wikipedia about the actual building, with no information whatsoever about the thing it's there for in gameplay.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Sep 13, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

buddhist nudist posted:

World of Warcraft solved this by having a wiki for story and lore, and an separate wiki for purely gameplay information so you'll always click on the site that specifically doesn't have the information you want.

Uuuuuuuugh boy motherfucking HOWDY do I wish Bulbapedia would do this. Shunt all the dumb anime poo poo to a dedicated area, please!

And I see Bulbapedia is not alone in this problem. That's just the one I've encountered the most.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This is kinda tangential to dumb marketing, but fandom.com has tried to establish itself pretty aggressively as the game wiki of choice. I've forgotten the details (and its hilariously difficult to google news about a wiki), but if I remember correctly they were downright plagiarizing other established wikis. In any case, they push ads really hard, particularly on mobile so it's always a slog trying to get info on a .fandom site.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pookah posted:

I just installed it and tried the dreaded Cute thread and... it worked perfectly, no more crashes !!!

Thank you all for the recommend - I had completely forgotten that the app even existed, I think because when I first heard about it it was years and years ago and still at a fairly buggy dev stage. No more raging at huge unpausable phone-crashing embedded videos that have been quoted like seven times on one page for ol Pookah.

I'm glad to have contributed to your happiness. Seriously though, who is the goon behind the app? It seems wrong somehow that I don't even know their name.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

My favorite ad I’ve ever gotten is this one

No idea what that was all about

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is kinda tangential to dumb marketing, but fandom.com has tried to establish itself pretty aggressively as the game wiki of choice. I've forgotten the details (and its hilariously difficult to google news about a wiki), but if I remember correctly they were downright plagiarizing other established wikis. In any case, they push ads really hard, particularly on mobile so it's always a slog trying to get info on a .fandom site.

This drives me nuts. Half the time I try to look something up a Fandom wiki link is the first result and they are literally unreadable on my phone because of the ads and forced video. It happens with a lot of news sites too. If I can't see your content, why would I bother using your site?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

My favorite ad I’ve ever gotten is this one

No idea what that was all about

Gotta be one of the knockoffs at that price

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Silver Falcon posted:

Uuuuuuuugh boy motherfucking HOWDY do I wish Bulbapedia would do this. Shunt all the dumb anime poo poo to a dedicated area, please!

And I see Bulbapedia is not alone in this problem. That's just the one I've encountered the most.

They do? Try checking the drop-down contents tab. And there are seperate articles for the particular anime appearances.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They do? Try checking the drop-down contents tab. And there are seperate articles for the particular anime appearances.

Where are you looking? Cuz I just checked Bulbapedia for a random Pokemon (Torchic), and all the anime and manga poo poo is in a big long list before you get to the game data. Even looking from the table of contents, the list of anime poo poo takes up more than half the screen, and my screen isn't small.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

Where are you looking? Cuz I just checked Bulbapedia for a random Pokemon (Torchic), and all the anime and manga poo poo is in a big long list before you get to the game data. Even looking from the table of contents, the list of anime poo poo takes up more than half the screen, and my screen isn't small.

Just... scroll your wheel down two or three increments to Game Data?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

you could also just check serebii or smogon instead

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just... scroll your wheel down two or three increments to Game Data?

It annoys me that the anime poo poo is front and center and that I need to scroll past it to get to the game data. That was originally what I bitched about. I don't like it.

MizuZero posted:

you could also just check serebii or smogon instead

Mostly I do this instead, yes. gently caress Bulbapedia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's still a way better layout than actual Wikipedia articles.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Is GameFAQs.com bot the go to anymore? That's how I figured out how to beat the Zombie Dragon in Valkyrie Profile.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Is GameFAQs.com bot the go to anymore? That's how I figured out how to beat the Zombie Dragon in Valkyrie Profile.

what was life like before the war, grandad?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GameFAQs is still good if you don't browse the forums because that's how you end up with Which Character's Boobs Jiggle The Most and Is Big Boss Gay and What Does Tali's Sweat Smell Like

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

CJacobs posted:

GameFAQs is still good if you don't browse the forums because that's how you end up with Which Character's Boobs Jiggle The Most and Is Big Boss Gay and What Does Tali's Sweat Smell Like

What does Big Boss’s boob sweat smell like haha I’m just curious for laughs haha

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bobby Digital posted:

What does Big Boss’s boob sweat smell like haha I’m just curious for laughs haha

I mean, you say that like pretty much literally the entire basis behind the Metal Gear series isn't everyone being incredibly horny for Big Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The one flaw in the master plan was Venom Snake's sweat being smelly enough that everyone yells at him to shower when he's been working too long