Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It also intersperses violence and sexuality. The montage of starlight getting done with her appearance hair was particularly interesting from that perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The show is doing its best with Maeve I think but part of the problem is that the source material gives them pretty much nothing to work with at all. She literally does nothing for like 90% of the comics except drink martinis and look out of a window, and goes out of her way to never interact with anyone.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The show is doing its best with Maeve I think but part of the problem is that the source material gives them pretty much nothing to work with at all. She literally does nothing for like 90% of the comics except drink martinis and look out of a window, and goes out of her way to never interact with anyone.

The show also really hasn't given her a reason to be part of the story, yet. In the comics, she was basically the only thing keeping Starlight alive and The Boys informed.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Plan Z posted:

The show also really hasn't given her a reason to be part of the story, yet. In the comics, she was basically the only thing keeping Starlight alive and The Boys informed.

Maybe this is the thing that flips her. The comics reason, while justified, was pretty hosed up. Maybe she starts helping Starlight if for no other reason than to get away from Homelander.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

seaborgium posted:

Maybe this is the thing that flips her. The comics reason, while justified, was pretty hosed up. Maybe she starts helping Starlight if for no other reason than to get away from Homelander.

I think she's going to start making Homelander's secrets as fair game as he made hers.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Plan Z posted:

I think she's going to start making Homelander's secrets as fair game as he made hers.

Does he have any secrets with positive reveal potential for the 7?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm kinda baffled at the show runner straight up spoiling a major plot device, but it sounds like Stormfront will basically turn out to be Liberty. It's not the end of the world. It's not like I'm the first person in the thread to have made a wrong guess.

She's still a great villain, and I'm looking forward to finding out how much she's changed from her Liberty days. I also want to know if Edgar is aware of her back story.

If you think about it, there are tons of people in their 70s and 80s who used to be racist during the Civil Rights movement who have realized the error of their ways since then, so it makes total sense. A redemption arc seems unlikely for this show though.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I feel like the whole point is she hasn’t actually changed, just adapted her terrible views to the times and learned to weaponize her fanbase. And learned that she can be more overt as long as she uses the “right” language.

Edgar doesn’t care about her backstory because she makes Vought money. He’s a company man through and through, his little explanation of Vought’s actual history made it clear he doesn’t care about any Nazi ties that might exist.

Edited to be less confrontational, that was unwarranted.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 13, 2020

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Lol dude how are you so bad at watching shows, you're grasping at straws and no, it does not make total sense

She's now been shown as racist for longer than any other character in the show has been alive. There's no redemption arc

Edgar is the one who explained that Vought as an entity was born from literal actual Nazi scientists. He doesn't care

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lol you bolded the wrong part genius

That quote is pretty definitive, but if you read the loving thread you'll find I already said I think it is her. Everybody in this thread is just ignoring each other so they can argue with a convenient strawman and its loving stupid.

unlimited shrimp posted:

Also Jesus Christ do we all have PTSD from the culture wars or something? Bullshitting and thinking out loud is one of the best parts of following a show.

Seriously this is the thread to talk about The Boys, do not get loving angry at people for talking about The Boys here

The "If you don't agree with everything I say about this TV show you're a loving idiot" attitude is so insanely toxic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

What interests me about those two images is that Liberty has been around since what looks like the 1950s from the Bud advert, but also remains a contemporary brand. It raises speculation that there is an actual Liberty out there and it isn't Stormfront. However, that doesn't mean that Stormfront never was Liberty. It's more than feasible that she was committing racist murders in the South for decades while nobody really cared, but got taken out of circulation when people started noticing.

I will raise one thought that occurred to me, though. What if Stormfront was a replacement for the original Liberty, made by Vought with the intention of her being a charter member of the Seven but then withdrawn because it turned out she was a racist murderer? It would create some interesting character dynamics, especially if it turns out that Liberty was originally intended to be the leader of the team.

What?

The thread has already said Liberty HAS to be Stormfront! Get the gently caress out of here with your thinking about things that maybe could also be possible. This thread doesn't like that.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

zoux posted:

It's the end of the scene that starts with the eerily accurate country anti-abortion billboard

Having driven through a lot of the rural Midwest, this gag was 100% spot-on and I appreciate that they went to all the trouble even though it's only on-screen for like two seconds.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

What?

The thread has already said Liberty HAS to be Stormfront! Get the gently caress out of here with your thinking about things that maybe could also be possible. This thread doesn't like that.

How embarrasing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Zaphod you gotta calm down dude. You were wrong, it’s ok, it happens.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously this is the thread to talk about The Boys, do not get loving angry at people for talking about The Boys here

:ironicat:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

crepeface posted:

frenchie + kimiko are boring the gently caress out of me.
Yeah I have to agree. They need to give Frenchie something more interesting to do than creep on Kimiko.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

unlimited shrimp posted:

Yeah I have to agree. They need to give Frenchie something more interesting to do than creep on Kimiko.

They namedropped Lamplighter in the FWB scene and he appears this season so I'm hoping that gives Frenchie something to do

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

crepeface posted:

frenchie + kimiko are boring the gently caress out of me.

Add me to that list. If the frenchie and kimiko story disappeared, I wouldn't cry too much (or really notice).

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

kimiko? cool
frenchie? aight
kimchie? cursed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

"Honestly Maeve, I am really, really happy for you."

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The guy plays a psycho so brilliantly.. that look is just magical. You totally buy that anyone in his orbit would be scared shitless of how he might react at any given moment, particularly as they all know that Vought would cover up anything he did.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/culturecrave/status/1305042131510161408?s=21

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

PostNouveau posted:

"Honestly Maeve, I am really, really happy for you."

Watching Anthony Starr be a clumsy himbo in the bloopers and put out performances like this in the final cut is loving astounding. Rarely am I so creeped out and tense just from the presence of a character.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Review bombing because of the release schedule? JFC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I want to know why he always looks like he has a wad of dip in his mouth.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Review bombing because of the release schedule? JFC.

Welcome to the internet. User reviews were a mistake.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
There are only six eight episodes in the season and the first three dropped at the same time. If you subbed to Amazon Prime just for The Boys you could watch the entire series within a single in two months and then unsub. There is no barely a money grab!

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 13, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gobbeldygook posted:

There are only six episodes in the season and the first three dropped at the same time. If you subbed to Amazon Prime just for The Boys you could watch the entire series within a single month and then unsub. There is no money grab!

Only 6 episodes? I thought there were 8. :mad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

:negative:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Hughmoris posted:

You're right, there are eight, Google only lists the first six when you search for "the boys season 2".

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Victis posted:

There's no redemption arc
Have we seen her say anything remotely racist to her fan base though? It seemed to me like she pretends to be goody two shoes and puts on a public persona when necessary while putting on a whole different shoe for her intimate fanbase.

If you keep up with American politics at all, her behavior reminds me of current politics. We have politicians who used to sponsor ultra racist programs back in the 90s that were responsible for mass incarceration of POC, and everyone is trying to pretend none of it ever happened.

This is a good loving show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

If you think about it, there are tons of people in their 70s and 80s who used to be racist during the Civil Rights movement who have realized the error of their ways since then, so it makes total sense. A redemption arc seems unlikely for this show though.

Lol come on

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1305049288922210305

I love the guy going Rudyard Kupling in his review

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Its my instant gratification, and I need it now!

People who get so upset that they write a multi-paragraph review bomb for having to wait a few weeks... I wonder what these people are like in person.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Its my instant gratification, and I need it now!

People who get so upset that they write a multi-paragraph review bomb for having to wait a few weeks... I wonder what these people are like in person.

They’re right and none of the reviews were that long.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I get the frustration but like wait until the end of October and just watch it all then in one go.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Postin in the stormfront page.

Aya cash is a treasure and you're the worst is a good show that doesnt outstay its welcome.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I like the week to week because it allows me to discuss stuff with my friends and make guesses about things instead of just going “hey, have you watched the whole thing yet? Oh, then we’ll talk when you do.”

Bingeing works for shows like Queer Eye or something else where each episode is it’s own story but I prefer the week to week discussion this offers.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
"Maybe Stormfront is not racist guys come on"
"I like to see Stormfront putting Homelander in his place"
"Well, maybe she'll have an redemption arc !"

lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every supposed virtue of week to week TV could be had by just watching one episode a week, but people have no self control. Binge or bust imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
You could also just wait until they’re all out and then watch them. It goes either way. I enjoy being able to order pizza, pour a glass of wine, sit down with my fiancé, and watch the new episode on Friday nights.