Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I bet A-team is faking his heart attacks.

Homelander can hear heartbeats. I'm assuming that's what he's referencing when he said he knows about A-Train's condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like A-train took the slow train from Philly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Binging releases and staggered releases are realistically going to be popularized in cycles for the rest of our lives.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm happy that I can watch one episode and read this thread while it's semi on topic for the episode instead of taking a week and a half to finish the season and by that time the thread is full demented.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

veni veni veni posted:

Honestly I think streaming services doling out episodes one week at a time is going to become more prevalent in the near future. 2020 must have halted production on an immeasurable amount of projects, so I wouldn't be surprised if new content releases slowed to a crawl for a good part of next year. A traditional weekly trickle of content will basically serve as a way to make it feel like "new" things are coming out.

That's just a guess on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the first in a lot of weekly releases and the reasons they've done it this way are probably not entirely unrelated to Covid. I wouldn't even surprised if netflix eventually started going that route.

I'm sure others have done it but Mandalorian is the one that got the most attention for doing it nearest to the time frame of the pandemic.

Whatever outfit inside Disney that runs the social media must've shown that the gradual release resulted in slightly higher numbers and everyone else is following suit. Like others have said, it'll be strategic and cyclical - guaranteed hits will probably be staggered, shows that are untested bets will still get full release at least for the first season or two.

The real litmus test will be when Netflix staggers something like Stranger Things, and the audience reaction to that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

You can just see that look on that baby telling highlander to get the gently caress out of there so he can get some milk. Just brutal.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'm sure others have done it but Mandalorian is the one that got the most attention for doing it nearest to the time frame of the pandemic.

Whatever outfit inside Disney that runs the social media must've shown that the gradual release resulted in slightly higher numbers and everyone else is following suit. Like others have said, it'll be strategic and cyclical - guaranteed hits will probably be staggered, shows that are untested bets will still get full release at least for the first season or two.

The real litmus test will be when Netflix staggers something like Stranger Things, and the audience reaction to that.

Disney did it because they didn’t have enough content and they didn’t want people to cancel after the one week trial was up. Those episodes were like 25 minutes lol, they piecemealed a four hour movie over 2 months.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm happy that I can watch one episode and read this thread while it's semi on topic for the episode instead of taking a week and a half to finish the season and by that time the thread is full demented.
Even with the staggered schedule look at all the better than thou sperglords harvesting spoilers from the show runners and posting it here.

Goons are incapable of enjoying something unless they suck all the life out of it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Staggered is better. You don't need to shove every single thing in your loving mouth like a pig. And then demand more content.

Bioshuffle posted:

Even with the staggered schedule look at all the better than thou sperglords harvesting spoilers from the show runners and posting it here.

Goons are incapable of enjoying something unless they suck all the life out of it.

You're human scum and should gently caress off.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bioshuffle posted:

It's only a spoiler for idiots who can't follow what the show literally says on exact words.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

BrotherJayne posted:

Lol, the confederate cape mural...

When that popped up, both me and the wifey physically recoiled and said "oh gently caress!"

I'm watching with my parents (boomers in the uk), and the only thing they said about it was "Hey, that's the wrong flag!".

I think there's a difference in exposure to American culture because I audibly "ooooh oh no"-ed when I saw that. I almost paused it just to explain the significance

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I will say that while i don't buy the Stormfront is Liberty's daughter scenario, it is kind of weird that a semi-prominent superhero like Liberty would have had obviously lightning based powers and either no one knew or MM just didn't bother to look it up or check before driving all the way to North Carolina. It's a little bit of a plot hole.

I figure that Stormfront/Liberty has had about 30 - 40 years to figure out the extent of her powers, andor has been taking extra vitamin V shots since then.

Maybe the powers are just mediated through the subconscious, and which ones they have are a matter of personality. Everyone has the same extent of their powers, it's just a matter of how they reach for them.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Romes128 posted:

Homelander can hear heartbeats. I'm assuming that's what he's referencing when he said he knows about A-Train's condition.

homelander knows a lot more than he ever lets on and that's why he's such a terrifying character

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Panfilo posted:

It's interesting how A Trains situation shows that Compound V isn't some magic immortality serum; the most powerful supes required the most optimal conditions, effort, and trial and error to get an effective group of powers. Even at best dosing post natally is a limited 'boost' (my guess is that it just temporarily 'resets the clock' by giving them back their peak potential for a little while).

I assumed it was the high dose of it. I assume that if he'd taken low doses on a longer time period it would have had longer to work and had less of a stimulant effect -- like how stuff like nicotine, if you take it slow it relaxes you, but if you take it all at once it hypes you up.

They mainline huge amounts into the kids, though, doesn't explain that. Unless it's a long term drip, heavily diluted.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

It's only a spoiler for idiots who can't follow what the show literally says on exact words.

Dude went from;

Stormfront isn't racist > Stormfront isn't Liberty > Mad about everyone telling him Stormfront is Liberty > Maybe Stormfront isn't racist she's had years to reflect and change.

Even though Stormfront said and did some racist poo poo in episode 3.

Dude is delusional about his nazi waifu.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Goast posted:

homelander knows a lot more than he ever lets on and that's why he's such a terrifying character

Yeah, I love that. When he caught Maeve on the phone, he acts like he doesn't have super hearing and couldn't tell the context of her conversation. Surprise! Same thing when he was wondering around Becca's house after she had fled to ask for help. Later he brought that back up and said she was right, he wasn't going to get bored and leave.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Maeve's hollowed out so I think the acting's deliberate. The character's just ground down to a nub.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Accretionist posted:

Maeve's hollowed out so I think the acting's deliberate. The character's just ground down to a nub.

Eh, if they want to go that route I'd prefer they just minimize her screen time. No one wants to watch a vacuum on TV. I don't know the actress from any other work but I'm tending towards bad acting for this part.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Goast posted:

If I remember right, in the Comics he pretty much had the whole "Maeve and Starlight are helping the Boys" thing clocked from the get go, he just let them run around anyways because he knew it would give him something to do later.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 14, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bioshuffle posted:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm like the vampire lady from the movie Lifeforce.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mat Cauthon posted:

But in the end he did spare the kid, so maybe there's some humanity inside HL after all.

Do we know Homelander saved the baby or is it a super, explosion-proof baby?

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a feeling the writers were all like "oh poo poo people might get mad if we kill a baby" and just added that line as insurance.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I will say that while i don't buy the Stormfront is Liberty's daughter scenario, it is kind of weird that a semi-prominent superhero like Liberty would have had obviously lightning based powers and either no one knew or MM just didn't bother to look it up or check before driving all the way to North Carolina. It's a little bit of a plot hole.

Eh. I buy it. Honestly all the Boys don't strike me as being the sharpest tools. They're by and large dumb and sloppy. Also you have the bonus of hindsight and viewer perspective. Without that I can definitely seeing them driving all the way to NC on a hunch.

I'm certain the only reason they survived this long is Vought has better poo poo to do. Hell, the Black Noir scenes even play this out. If really pressed, the Vought rank and file can find the Boys fast, but who the gently caress there cares?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm guessing the baby, sensing the explosion happening did ninja flips out of the house and continued for 17 miles.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I'm guessing the baby, sensing the explosion happening did ninja flips out of the house and continued for 17 miles.

wasn't the baby on the lawn

it was butcher that woke up miles away.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm willing to entertain the possibility that the baby has some latent teleportation powers. Let's see where they go with it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

How do we know the baby didn't cause the explosion???? Maybe it was a fakeout with Butcher holding the trigger???

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Eh. I buy it. Honestly all the Boys don't strike me as being the sharpest tools. They're by and large dumb and sloppy. Also you have the bonus of hindsight and viewer perspective. Without that I can definitely seeing them driving all the way to NC on a hunch.

I'm certain the only reason they survived this long is Vought has better poo poo to do. Hell, the Black Noir scenes even play this out. If really pressed, the Vought rank and file can find the Boys fast, but who the gently caress there cares?

They also had no reason to even look up what her powers were before this, just that she was a supe and they had a lead from something that happened in the 70s. Now that they have this whole situation going next episode will probably explain some of the stuff with a little deeper digging. Plus it's not like cameras or video surveillance were as ubiquitous in the 1970s as they are today, documentation about supes from that time is probably mostly Vought-made PR material and sponsorships.

The Boys are by and large dumb, yes. MM is smart but his head isn't in the game, and Butcher is smart but too focused on his crusade to see the forest for the star-spangled trees.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How do we know the baby didn't cause the explosion???? Maybe it was a fakeout with Butcher holding the trigger???

We never did see butcher acquire the c4....

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

As shown, babies are notoriously dangerous in Vought's America.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i can’t believe the butcher is the baby and also a clone of stormfront

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How many Homelander costumes do you think we'll see this Halloween? Yes I know a lot of people won't be participating this year

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bussamove posted:

They also had no reason to even look up what her powers were before this, just that she was a supe and they had a lead from something that happened in the 70s. Now that they have this whole situation going next episode will probably explain some of the stuff with a little deeper digging. Plus it's not like cameras or video surveillance were as ubiquitous in the 1970s as they are today, documentation about supes from that time is probably mostly Vought-made PR material and sponsorships.

The Boys are by and large dumb, yes. MM is smart but his head isn't in the game, and Butcher is smart but too focused on his crusade to see the forest for the star-spangled trees.

Yeah. I think we should really not expect Death Note level of strategery from any of the characters in the show. At best they have a low cunning that let's them survive. But seriously, who in the show is actually depicted as even remotely smart? They're all dumb dumbs.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

How many Homelander costumes do you think we'll see this Halloween? Yes I know a lot of people won't be participating this year

The type of person to admire Homelander enough to dress up like him and the type of person who will have Halloween parties in the middle of a pandemic have a pretty huge overlap so quite a few.

It’s going to be rooms full of Jokers and Homelanders, coughing and being smug about how cool they are at each other.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If I remember right, in the Comics he pretty much had the whole "Maeve and Starlight are helping the Boys" thing clocked from the get go, he just let them run around anyways because he knew it would give him something to do later.

it makes sense in a real hosed up way

if the guy is gonna go around literally inventing super-villains to fight why wouldn't he let some snitches in to gently caress with when he gets bored

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Goast posted:

it makes sense in a real hosed up way

if the guy is gonna go around literally inventing super-villains to fight why wouldn't he let some snitches in to gently caress with when he gets bored

I mean the dude is basically a God among mortals, and is bored.
How many stories involving a God like being can be traced down to "Zeus or whatever was bored one day and decided to start some serious poo poo"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Goast posted:

It's pretty fun that Vought thinks that Homelander's stupid V-addicted drugtrade/villain program is the reason why everyone knows about V.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
MM was always the coolest of the Boys, as proven by him making those goofy rear end over the top glasses look cool as hell. Also, being from Oakland originally, I really appreciate his People's Food Program shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
small details on a 2nd rewatch:
Pippi Longstocking is old as hell, first book published in '45. The character is internationally beloved, but is most popular in Germany.
Maeve means "intoxicating", interesting choice to have her struggle with addiction.
The boys' storefront not only had that liberty poster, but one for Popclaw's movie Terminal Beauty (with Billy Zane).
Having Liberty advertise a douche is extremely 60s.