Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

This show has made me realize that I have a thing for women with asymmetric mullets that look like they were done with hedge clippers.

Hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe in the next season we’ll see a necro having sex.

Just watch out for the face melting, body exploding, frost breath, acid breath, fire breath and you’ll be fine.

I guess it’s safer without the necro eyes but they still got super strength and motives!

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 12, 2020

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Likewise. Life is full of surprises.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Lol the rapist is like a Dark Souls NPC.

I'm surprised this is the first time someone has brought up Dark Souls in this thread because I don't know how you look at the Mithraic getups and not immediately think of Solaire.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They do enjoy praising the sun

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Also feel like people should be more concerned about the giant viper skeletons, like maybe even noticing them

My question is if that's what created the huge hole by the settlement...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

sticksy posted:

My question is if that's what created the huge hole by the settlement...

Well they almost certainly come outta there, Father found a big scrap of snakeskin in there when going down to the pod.

They’re definitely gonna show up at some point! Also whoever created the hexapod.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chekhov's giant viper skeleton

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I can watch stuff at work during downtime and was thinking about watching it. How violent/horny is this that prevents me from watching this?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

I can watch stuff at work during downtime and was thinking about watching it. How violent/horny is this that prevents me from watching this?

It's more weird than anything. There is a flying nude bronze lady so you do see a fair bit of her rear end but androids aren't built with nipples or genitalia

It's not horny at all beyond that and honestly pretty sparse as far as violence but those moments are visceral to the point of cartoonishness

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

people will think youre watching an awful scifi original television show from 2009

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Guh do they really have the budget for huge snake VFX without it looking like syfy. This show would have been fine without giant VFX set pieces.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I really like the fantastical/surreal setting. It was a great choice to not set this in Generic Gray Apple Future®. There are some minor inconsistencies though like the planet being named after Kepler, who lived more than a millennium after Mithraism went extinct. Same for Boston. The original Boston in England was named after a christian saint, centuries after Mithraism. Seems like these are too big to be oversights though. Maybe there is a plot reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Idg the sci-fi original comparisons. I think for the most part the show looks great. And I'm the type of person who can't even watch those shows because they look so cheap.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

GABA ghoul posted:

I really like the fantastical/surreal setting. It was a great choice to not set this in Generic Gray Apple Future®. There are some minor inconsistencies though like the planet being named after Kepler, who lived more than a millennium after Mithraism went extinct. Same for Boston. The original Boston in England was named after a christian saint, centuries after Mithraism. Seems like these are too big to be oversights though. Maybe there is a plot reason.

I saw it as our timeline but Mithraism making some sort of come back and not an alt timeline where christ didn't exist.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

I saw it as our timeline but Mithraism making some sort of come back and not an alt timeline where christ didn't exist.

I don't see how that's possible though. According to wikipedia Mithraism is completely extinct with no scripture or information about their beliefs or rituals remaining. And it seems to have been a pretty generic cult with nothing special about it. Qanon has a way better chance of becoming the new world religion than Mithraism.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

I don't see how that's possible though. According to wikipedia Mithraism is completely extinct with no scripture or information about their beliefs or rituals remaining. And it seems to have been a pretty generic cult with nothing special about it. Qanon has a way better chance of becoming the new world religion than Mithraism.

Makes it perfect for someone with a great ambition to use to climb to power. They can write whatever scripture they want and claim a divine hand led them to uncover it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Idg the sci-fi original comparisons. I think for the most part the show looks great. And I'm the type of person who can't even watch those shows because they look so cheap.

Same. I think its top notch

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now that the show's pacing has slowed down i'm starting to get really annoyed by the plot and dialogue. the setting, exposition and entire pilot are superb and this feels like a letdown

i'm fine with campion falling in a hole

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If it comes down to it, Campion would be a great source of protein for the rest of the kids.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

To be fair kids are generally annoying. I don't feel like we often say gee that child character is really interesting!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

^^ all the more reason why they shouldn't be included or at least shouldn't be portrayed as brain vacuums

This show is going to be somewhat good and entertaining in spite of itself.

The Big Conflict of the future being between 00s New Atheism and a super boring and cosmopolitan Generic Religion (that doesn't really even seem that disagreeable) is simply not believable in 2020.

Using dumbass kids as Plot Advancers is also lame as hell. And why do they have such nice haircuts?

On the other hand, the androids are super cool and their actors are good.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

DrPop posted:

^^ all the more reason why they shouldn't be included or at least shouldn't be portrayed as brain vacuums

The Big Conflict of the future being between 00s New Atheism and a super boring and cosmopolitan Generic Religion (that doesn't really even seem that disagreeable) is simply not believable in 2020.

Using dumbass kids as Plot Advancers is also lame as hell. And why do they have such nice haircuts?

the androids are definitely the best, and I like the story of them trying to raise kids, at least in theory

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Raere posted:

the androids are definitely the best, and I like the story of them trying to raise kids, at least in theory

Agreed! The show just isn't doing a good job of making that story interesting.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The story is actually about how there are nowhere near enough survivors or embryos to have a genetically viable human colony so we just get to watch the end of the human race while Mother tries to figure out where she went wrong

I don't understand why they didn't call the androids Banshees with their power set. Mother better raise some undead minions at some point.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I remember a cartoon from my childhood which wasnt traditionally animated but done like 10-15 FPS water color. It was basically the same story of a human tribe that hosed up and everyone died but 2 children. A pack of wolves took them in and raised them. I forget the rest but the ending had the 2 children ascend into wolf spirits and join the rest of the pack (in death). It was definitely from the Nature Company and very hippyish but its what seems most similar to this.

I agree that a show of just the 2 androids and like 6 kids alone trying to rebuild Humanity would be engrossing without the whole outside antagonists. And yeah you would think that if you took months to get 1 killer robot reprogrammed to be a mother figure then you could surely get more than 12 embryos ready. Like ok start with 6 as a starter run and then spin up the other 200 for incubation. Even then they could still run with 199 children died.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 14, 2020

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Pretty far behind but I just watched the first episode they put out for free and it really reminded me of like a science fiction short story from the 50s(with more people exploding) in a good way. Really did not convince me it needed to be a series though, I thought the doomed colony overseen by a crazed android made for a great ending

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gaj posted:

I agree that a show of just the 2 androids and like 6 kids alone trying to rebuild Humanity would be engrossing without the whole outside antagonists. And yeah you would think that if you took months to get 1 killer robot reprogrammed to be a mother figure then you could surely get more than 12 embryos ready. Like ok start with 6 as a starter run and then spin up the other 200 for incubation. Even then they could still run with 199 children died.

There were more in the ship, they were only able to pull out like two cases before it went over the edge, but either way there were only like 12 boxes on the wall and not a lot of extra ship to hold more.

I wish they hadn't mentioned it was Kepler-22b, or at least just made up a system, because that raises a lot of questions about the tech in the show as well as making it a little unbelievable that this is the only semi-habitable planet found. Kepler is like 630 lightyears out, getting there in 12 years, even a relativistic 12 years, means they got some serious engine tech. Boldly go, people!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Azhais posted:

Kepler is like 630 lightyears out, getting there in 12 years, even a relativistic 12 years, means they got some serious engine tech. Boldly go, people!

The intro of the show appears to have some sort of wormhole technology in it, showing the ship emerging from it before crashing on the planet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
By the way: I love the song in the intro. The melody is so weird and the pronunciation and rhythm of the words sounds otherworldly.

Edit: someone will probably just tell me that this is the common accent in some part of the world, I am ignorant of.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 14, 2020

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like the image of a Necromancer roaming the ruins and wish they had more Earth

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Gonz posted:

The intro of the show appears to have some sort of wormhole technology in it, showing the ship emerging from it before crashing on the planet.

small ships can generate worm holes or at least travel through them, big ships gotta make the physical journey. that's why the atheist androids arrive before the ark.

it's a throwaway line from the first episode.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

upgunned shitpost posted:

small ships can generate worm holes or at least travel through them, big ships gotta make the physical journey. that's why the atheist androids arrive before the ark.

it's a throwaway line from the first episode.

Interesting! Kepler is 638 ly from earth, and the y mention they needed to stay under for 13 years I think, which would mean they traveled at a factor of... 49 times the speed of light? We also don't know if Newtonian physics apply for their travel.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mokotow posted:

Interesting! Kepler is 638 ly from earth, and the y mention they needed to stay under for 13 years I think, which would mean they traveled at a factor of... 49 times the speed of light? We also don't know if Newtonian physics apply for their travel.

If they were able to maintain a constant 1g acceleration (and deceleration for the back half) they'd only need to reach like .99999c to get it done in 13 years relativistic

But if that were the case and there are really wormholes for the little ships, Mother would have had centuries to ponder her mistakes by the time the ark arrived

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The intro also shows a ton of small ships doing an exodus when the golden gate Bridge collapses

Theres probably a human diaspora but we're only seeing this story

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Perhaps they have FTL tech but the knowledge was lost in tge apocalypse or the infrastructure needed needed to build and maintain FTL was destroyed in said apocalypse

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Azhais posted:

If they were able to maintain a constant 1g acceleration (and deceleration for the back half) they'd only need to reach like .99999c to get it done in 13 years relativistic

But if that were the case and there are really wormholes for the little ships, Mother would have had centuries to ponder her mistakes by the time the ark arrived

Playing with this calculator here - https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/space-travel

The droids could have accelerated at higher Gs while the ark ship maintained constant 1g, meaning that the droids would have arrived only a few years before the humans, rather than centuries.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

By the way: I love the song in the intro. The melody is so weird and the pronunciation and rhythm of the words sounds otherworldly.

Edit: someone will probably just tell me that this is the common accent in some part of the world, I am ignorant of.
It's performed in Swedish, and I can't say for sure, but I imagine that the neat pronunciation and the rhythm of the words is part of the vocalist's art.

I'm reminded of Icelandic, and the fact that the folks in Reykjavik generally don't sound like Bjork.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

veni veni veni posted:

Only one guy said this and he probably is a troll

This show looks amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

DrPop posted:

Welcome to the world of Ridley Scott, where Androids are always and always will be the best thing about whatever he makes