Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Broken Cog posted:

Nope, one legged characters aren't missing any limbs. You can check this easily if you, your spouse, or your heir has it, and you just go to the main menu. They will show up there.

That's what I meant, I just didn't want to switch characters to one to find out.

It's understandable, but mildly disappointing.

Happen to see anyone missing a right eye? Every character I have seen with missing an eye is the left one. Actually, same with arms, now that I think on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ilitarist posted:

Thinking about how they can make Byzantine Empire, Republics and even potentially China playable and interesting.

And I kinda see them making unlanded characters playable. You can even already select them in the new game screen but the game says you can't play unlanded characters, same as theocracies and republics. It's probably a lot of work - you'll need more mundane events that rarely trigger for more important characters, some non-landed applications for gold and prestige (probably treasury), controlled travel/guesting. This would mean you could play all those states not founded on land inheritance. It would also mean it's much harder to get a game over and also you can play a lot of famous landless historical characters like El Cid and all those Hohenzollerns or Romanovs and other people of dynasties better known in the future.

I had some thoughts a few pages back on how I'd do the Byzantines:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3937583&pagenumber=129&perpage=40#post508032108

The Byzantines were in a period of transition as they declined, with landed nobility gradually gaining more and more power and control over the state, so while it's not accurate to have everyone be a hereditary Doux and just copy the feudal system (as in CK3 and CK2 on release), the system they brought in later for CK2 where nobody above a count is safe from having their titles stripped isn't accurate either, especially so the further we get into this period. I think it's also very important to at least try to model the fact that the popular opinion in Constantinople was massively important to the stability of the empire and the safety and security of the emperor. As emperor, I think your chief concerns should be balancing how to get enough troops and the taxes to pay for them on your borders, keeping the citizens of Constantinople happy, balancing competing interests on your council, and securing the succession (which follows from all three).

Brydinut
Dec 20, 2006

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2228161411
The Pope better be able to do a Christ Air is all I'm saying.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly rebellions are usually a good thing for realm stability because after winning you can just let all your vassals rot in jail. They can't take any offensive action against you in there - no factions, no plots, nothing, and if you need to revoke titles they can't refuse. Even if they end up dying in jail their successors won't hold it against you, they only get mad if you explicitly executed them.

Be careful about the title revocation though. I had an incident where some vassals wanted a guy to have the empire title and sparked a civil war. I won handily and imprisoned the guy. Since he rebelled, there was no tyrant penalty for imprisoning him.

But that apparently didn't apply to his titles because I revoked them all and it caused every single vassal to hate my guts. There's a -150ish under "Tyrant" for it in their opinion breakdown and it kinda surprised me.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Skypie posted:

Be careful about the title revocation though. I had an incident where some vassals wanted a guy to have the empire title and sparked a civil war. I won handily and imprisoned the guy. Since he rebelled, there was no tyrant penalty for imprisoning him.

But that apparently didn't apply to his titles because I revoked them all and it caused every single vassal to hate my guts. There's a -150ish under "Tyrant" for it in their opinion breakdown and it kinda surprised me.

Generally if you imprison someone in a rebellion you can revoke one title from them for free. If that's a duchy or a kingdom you also get all counties they own in those lands for free too.

I do feel like banishment should be free after a rebellion, ultimately you're only giving the land to their next legal heir which seems a lot more lenient than revoking land altogether.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw, how do you revoke duchy titles these days? Every time I try it just says "If you revoke this, the person will end up with only titular titles" or something. Can you only revoke duchies if the owner has more than one, or if you revoke all the counties as well first?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Broken Cog posted:

Btw, how do you revoke duchy titles these days? Every time I try it just says "If you revoke this, the person will end up with only titular titles" or something. Can you only revoke duchies if the owner has more than one, or if you revoke all the counties as well first?

Hmm, I have been able to revoke duchy titles with all of the counties under it in one go. I’ve only tried doing this either with a claim or with cause, but I haven’t seen that message.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tetramin posted:

Hmm, I have been able to revoke duchy titles with all of the counties under it in one go. I’ve only tried doing this either with a claim or with cause, but I haven’t seen that message.

Yeah, I was more thinking of revoking only the duchy. For example if I want to transfer it to someone else.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Has anyone else noticed that if you ransom someone for less than the full amount (say they can only afford 20 of 50) the person gets freed with no payment whatsoever?
It's so annoying!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Taear posted:

Has anyone else noticed that if you ransom someone for less than the full amount (say they can only afford 20 of 50) the person gets freed with no payment whatsoever?
It's so annoying!

I have so much money I've never noticed, but now I feel like a chump because I do that all the time.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Has anyone seen any escape events for imprisoned characters? I've never seen it happen, seems they can just sit in house arrest for decades, or they'll be dead within a few years if you put them in the dungeon

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Taear posted:

It's so annoying!

I'm pretty sure I have also ransomed someone for the full amount but the ai spent the money or something and paid me nothing. I think ransoms are a little broken.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TyrsHTML posted:

I'm pretty sure I have also ransomed someone for the full amount but the ai spent the money or something and paid me nothing. I think ransoms are a little broken.

I've been paying careful attention and as far as I can see it only happens if it's a partial amount. Maybe full amounts can put the AI into debt but partial ones can't?
As a tribal I am always constantly poor so those ransoms matter a lot to me and it's easier to notice.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Okay, I have High Crown Authority, which is not supposed to let titles in my realm pass to people outside my realm. Before I enacted High Crown Authority, the title passed to the Queen of Jerusalem - because my first king participated in the first crusade and his beneficiary was granted the kingdom of jerusalem, and the game is bugging me all the time that this title is going to pass to someone outside my realm and the easiest way to stop it is to enact high crown authority, which I already have as mentioned.

Am I safe? Or do I need to do something else?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just tested with a partial amount (106/200), and as far as I could see, it transferred correctly.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Aagh, okay, taking Lotharingia turned out to be a really bad move. After I won it turned out my liege had been defending against Francia in a war for my central duchy, which I'd carefully nurtured over a century and a half into a reasonably powerful realm. So I was left fighting off the entire might of France while a hilarious clusterfuck of petty viking lords kept constantly attacking in various county conquests. And then my new, ridiculously powerful dukes, who were also heretics, decided they wanted independence, and I had no choice but to give it to them. Leaving me a king in name only with a few scattered counties over Europe and England.

I'm debating whether to go back to an earlier save, but honestly I'm having a great deal of fun getting my rear end kicked.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

I just tested with a partial amount (106/200), and as far as I could see, it transferred correctly.

It happens to me literally every time that when you get the event to say the ransom is being paid the actual amount that shows is 0. Literally every time.
This is true of being Poland, Lithuania and also of being Mali.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Veryslightlymad posted:

That's what I meant, I just didn't want to switch characters to one to find out.

It's understandable, but mildly disappointing.

Happen to see anyone missing a right eye? Every character I have seen with missing an eye is the left one. Actually, same with arms, now that I think on it.

Another interesting quirk with missing eyes - if your character then gets “Disfigured” and puts on the mask, you can clearly see they have both eyes through the mask. Maybe it’s just a really good fake.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Taear posted:

It happens to me literally every time that when you get the event to say the ransom is being paid the actual amount that shows is 0. Literally every time.
This is true of being Poland, Lithuania and also of being Mali.

Very strange, but it appears it might be a problem on your end. I know that if you try to ransom someone to someone that has exactly 0 gold (if it's negative, you get an opportunity to ransom for a hook instead), it gives you 0 gold. Might be what happens?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Toplowtech posted:

He is landed. If you want to put your family member on thrones, i have learned to do that with people who aren't your direct heirs and to put them on places far away, not as your vassals (they tend to inter-marry to consolidate). You want your direct family at home, under your thumb for better control.

I mean you're clearly right as implemented, certainly the way to go in CK2. But now with the lifestyle system you want anyone who might become your heir at some point to be landed from the day they turn 16. And so it should really just let you land them as a minor but preserve those interactions for anyone in your family at least, just to save you the rigamarole of finding some ancient dude, landing him, collecting his titles when he dies (repeat 2-3 times as required), and then handing them out.

Reveilled posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3937583&pagenumber=129&perpage=40#post508032108

The Byzantines were in a period of transition as they declined, with landed nobility gradually gaining more and more power and control over the state, so while it's not accurate to have everyone be a hereditary Doux and just copy the feudal system (as in CK3 and CK2 on release), the system they brought in later for CK2 where nobody above a count is safe from having their titles stripped isn't accurate either, especially so the further we get into this period. I think it's also very important to at least try to model the fact that the popular opinion in Constantinople was massively important to the stability of the empire and the safety and security of the emperor. As emperor, I think your chief concerns should be balancing how to get enough troops and the taxes to pay for them on your borders, keeping the citizens of Constantinople happy, balancing competing interests on your council, and securing the succession (which follows from all three).

Yeah these are all pretty solid concepts that I hope they keep in mind when they do their Rome DLC (which I assume will be the first one), hopefully whoever does the design is familiar with Anthony Kaldellis' work. :v:

Scandinavian Elective actually captures something like the importance of the capital (in a way that feels completely strange for Scandi-Elect mind you), where your voting strength is tied to the Popular Opinion value in your capital county. A Roman system should be that turned up to 11, with tanking popularity in the city capable of outright deposing you and replacing you with a rival claimant.

TyrsHTML posted:

They're hella broken. I quite often have issue where someone who should be ransomed for 10 gold instead has their price set at 300 or something, and then the payer can never afford it, and if they have say 86/300 they lose that 86 but you gain 0 of it. If you have Golden Obligations it's nearly always better to ransom people for favors and then demand payment on those hooks, much more reliable even though it's many more clicks.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mass-ransoming is utterly broken, it will check each ransom against the current funds - but not the sequence

So if they have 40 gold it will accept 20,20,20,20,20 and the last three will give you 0 gold and no Hook.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I thought I understood succession, but after my two sons died in an independence war, my daughter who I elected received the Empire of Britannia, a custom kingdom, and middlesex (capital of britannia). All the other titles went to other dudes. I lost all of my other counties. Is that because I had Tanistry and it chose random-rear end family members to give that stuff to?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ice Fist posted:

Okay, I have High Crown Authority, which is not supposed to let titles in my realm pass to people outside my realm. Before I enacted High Crown Authority, the title passed to the Queen of Jerusalem - because my first king participated in the first crusade and his beneficiary was granted the kingdom of jerusalem, and the game is bugging me all the time that this title is going to pass to someone outside my realm and the easiest way to stop it is to enact high crown authority, which I already have as mentioned.

Am I safe? Or do I need to do something else?

Still passed to the Queen's Heir when she died. Although they are still apart of my dynasty. Not really sure how that's supposed to work. Maybe you need to get High Crown enacted before someone outside the realm gets their paws on it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh there's a mass ransom button, I didn't even know :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Likely not all of your titles were using Tanistry

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Oh there's a mass ransom button, I didn't even know :v:

to be fair after getting hosed I never used it again either

only Mass Execute :unsmigghh:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Reveilled posted:

Again, it sounds to me that Byzantine state model should look more similar to, say, CK2 republics rather than feudal states but with no duchy/kingdom inheritance. CK2 republics already were an attempt to make you play a landless character - you had a family estate but it only existed in your secret pocket dimension. Having an empire with competing families getting temporary lands seem fine to me.

By the way, it would work for Russian Rota system too. In that system you are invited into a better land and you give away your old lands. Just like with landless character your real possessions would be your character, their family and their glory, not a plot of land.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Glass of Milk posted:

I thought I understood succession, but after my two sons died in an independence war, my daughter who I elected received the Empire of Britannia, a custom kingdom, and middlesex (capital of britannia). All the other titles went to other dudes. I lost all of my other counties. Is that because I had Tanistry and it chose random-rear end family members to give that stuff to?

Yeah your other titles probably used confederate partition.

I still have zero loving idea how you’re even supposed to effectively change succession laws when every title defaults to confederate and costs 1500 prestige to change. This system makes things very confusing. Does changing realm succession law change the default for all titles?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

https://imgur.com/a/5vtxFtE
https://imgur.com/a/N0qKmMy

Yea it is a good deal you bastards

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Still passed to the Queen's Heir when she died. Although they are still apart of my dynasty. Not really sure how that's supposed to work. Maybe you need to get High Crown enacted before someone outside the realm gets their paws on it.

Now I am very confused. The duchy I was worried about did not pass to the queen's heir, but a county in the duchy did pass to the king of jerusalem's primary heir. The king died not long after his wife and the new king of jerusalem now has a slice of land in loving ireland, even though I have High Crown Authority. The title left my realm even though it is not supposed to. I do not understand how I couldn't have stopped this.

But now I'm going to war with goddamn Jerusalem so that I can get this county back under my countrol. Thank god I've been snowballing for a while now

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

You did seem to get some money from somewhere between the screenshots though. Maybe it's just an UI bug?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Oh man, all of my selective breeding was just starting to pay off. I betrothed my genius herculean heir to a beautiful & intelligent daughter of the Duke of Valois, who happens to be a very powerful duke and is currently preventing my rivals from invading me. My other schemes were also coming to fruition and in just one or two more generations I was looking at becoming the Emperor of Britannia. Generations of careful management, bitter wars and risky schemes have all led to this.

Then I caught my heir loving his sister. She got pregnant and gave birth to a genius dwarf and the whole world found out about it. As much as I'd like to push the disinherit button or find some way to kill off this branch of the family, I feel that the best way to proceed is to make sure this bastard little Tyrion/Joffrey mix finds his way to the throne some day.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Oh. Ummm. Yeah. poo poo it a mess now. lmao

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am getting increasingly infuriated on how many times I get "handsome, intelligent and healthy- pick 2" in this game. All I need is one of my family to finally get the magic eight ball to give me super strong kids and it just doesn't happen.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The game needs a "what happens in terms of succession if I die right now" button.

Or maybe there's one and I'm missing it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ilitarist posted:

The game needs a "what happens in terms of succession if I die right now" button.

There is an "inheritance" button in the realm screen, if that would help?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ilitarist posted:

Click on the green crown symbol on the menu on the right side of the screen, then on "Succession". At the bottom it should say "Titles lost on succession".

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Has anyone taken the Strengthen Bloodline decision, and does it poo poo out good traits as often as it seems like it will from the description? I've managed to breed a daughter that will be able to take the decision. I'm trying to weigh whether I want to marry her when she comes of age to get more childbearing years out of her against waiting until closer to the time that she inherits to try and get better heirs out of her.

Also, is Architected Ancestry (the legacy that lets you pick a congenital trait to become more common) actually good/working as intended? I've got the first two of the blood legacies unlocked and have 3000+ Renown, but I don't really care about the third legacy that reduces bad traits - they haven't been an issue for me. So I'm not sure whether I should get it just for the sake of getting Architected Ancestry.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

There is an "inheritance" button in the realm screen, if that would help?

Oh.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I United the West Slavs as Bohemia which sets you to absolute crown authority and was excited to designate an heir instead of continuing the line of 60 year olds that keep inheriting (Czechs get seniority succession from the start). This did not work the way I wanted. I got to play as that dude, and my treasury and man at arms went to him, but all the titles still went to the old fella.