Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

excellent bird guy posted:

Can you recommend which? That story is everywhere. I had a Chinese TV show adaptation that seemed like a amateur translation. Is that what you are referring to? I'd still like to watch it, read it, whatever.
I'd recommend the 2010 Chinese TV show, which has a few fan subs floating around of varying quality. Unfortunately I do not think there has been any official English release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

excellent bird guy posted:

Can you recommend which? That story is everywhere. I had a Chinese TV show adaptation that seemed like a amateur translation. Is that what you are referring to? I'd still like to watch it, read it, whatever.
the 2010 show is up on youtube in full and the subs are decent. a bit stiff but that fits the material.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Endorph posted:

the 2010 show is up on youtube in full and the subs are decent. a bit stiff but that fits the material.

Yeah I keep seeing that described as a great literal translation for Chinese -> English pretty often.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The ones on youtube uploads look pretty good, I just remember when the show was airing there were two or three warring fan sub groups. Which is honestly quite in keeping with the source material.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I don’t see a manga recommendation thread so I’ll ask here. I’m reading Akira for the first time in the beautiful 35th edition. Enjoying the hell out if it. Where can I get more of that level of world building, insane art, and tackling the government themes? Bonus if it’s finished and collected in an amazing package like Akira was. I’ve got all of Jojonium and Bersek Deluxe. I read one piece and chainsawman in the weeklies. And jojolion when it comes out.

bonus bonus are there any manga about guys in there 30s tackling existential crisis?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

KidDynamite posted:

bonus bonus are there any manga about guys in there 30s tackling existential crisis?

if guys in their 50s works there's legend of the strongest man kurosawa

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KidDynamite posted:

Go read Solanin.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KidDynamite posted:

I don’t see a manga recommendation thread so I’ll ask here. I’m reading Akira for the first time in the beautiful 35th edition. Enjoying the hell out if it. Where can I get more of that level of world building, insane art, and tackling the government themes? Bonus if it’s finished and collected in an amazing package like Akira was. I’ve got all of Jojonium and Bersek Deluxe. I read one piece and chainsawman in the weeklies. And jojolion when it comes out.

Try Appleseed, I wouldn't call it finished exactly but each volume tells a complete story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pluto maybe?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

do not ignore otomo's other sci fi works like many unfortunately do and also grab a copy of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

there's bundles of manga about existential crises's , for example:
Ore wa Mada Honki Dashitenai dake
half of what Inio Asano puts out
several of Jiro Taniguchis manga
Wanitokagegisu
Ressentiment (although its a background theme in most of the artists work really)
Hoshi Mamoru Inu

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KidDynamite posted:

I second Solanin

Also not quite 30s but deals with it and shares some themes you liked from above would be Planetes

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Read a few chapters of "legend of the strongest man kurosawa" and ordered Solanin. Will take Davincie's word and check out more otomo.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Going to ask for a recommendation but keep it wide open this time. Recommend me your weirdest, oddest, most unusual show or movie that most likely made no sense or wasnt even good but you enjoyed anyway. Im even willing to drop the "no horror" stipulation I usually have for this one so go all out on whatever genre you feel like.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Furnaceface posted:

Going to ask for a recommendation but keep it wide open this time. Recommend me your weirdest, oddest, most unusual show or movie that most likely made no sense or wasnt even good but you enjoyed anyway. Im even willing to drop the "no horror" stipulation I usually have for this one so go all out on whatever genre you feel like.

Once again I will say:

Mentat Radnor posted:

Kyousougiga!

Also, Serial Experiments Lain

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mentat Radnor posted:

Also, Serial Experiments Lain

Also also Boogiepop Phantom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

Dead Leaves is 50-odd minutes of prison-escaping insanity on the Moon.

For something Horror-specific, go check out Requiem From the Darkness

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

This just brings to mind twist movies, so Hal and Hello World.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Furnaceface posted:

Hare Noche Guu is plenty good but it's pure non-sequitur comedy and has the kind of energy I think you're looking for.

e: Mayoiga (aka The Lost Village) is trash that kept me laughing at its audacity all the way through

e2: it's not even anime but there's an old MTV cartoon called The Maxx that might appeal to you as well

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 10, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Genius Party is a collection of shorts each organized around a core idea with wildly divergent animation used to explore them.

Inaka Isha is an adaptation of the Franz Kafka story a Country Doctor given additional surrealism through weird perspective focus throughout the work.

Kujira no Chouyaku is a 22 minute movie about a whale very slowly jumping out of the water and falling back in.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

you ask me to do this but i'm not sure how i expect you to find bokura no watt poe or megami tengoku

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Baton.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Furnaceface posted:

FLCL (Although that's mainly because I first saw it as a fansub, the official release made more sense. Not a lot, but more.)
Noiseman Sound Insect (I had completely forgotten I'd even seen that until someone mentioned it upthread)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Cipher.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Furnaceface posted:

Twinkle Nora: Rock Me!. This is nowhere near good, coherent or sensical, but I found it a fascinating watch as I just marveled at how the gently caress it could possibly be... this.

Alternativlely, Bagi, The Monster of Mighty Nature. Proto-furry TV movie made by Osamu Tezuka about his fears of the dangers of genetic experimentation? Yes please! I did not expect to like this one as much as I did, and I still love the ending.

Oh, and Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan is always a guilty pleasure.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 10, 2020

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Kuuchuu Buranko comes to mind for some reason, though the main weird thing about it is its style.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: Mayoiga (aka The Lost Village) is trash that kept me laughing at its audacity all the way through

Seconding hard. It's absolutely fascinating and you can still have fights at how much of this nonsense was really intentional or not.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Twinkle Nora: Rock Me!. This is nowhere near good, coherent or sensical, but I found it a fascinating watch as I just marveled at how the gently caress it could possibly be... this.

Along these lines, Chargeman Ken--extremely old, done for peanuts, barely even animated at all and condensing so much into five minutes that it's remarkable.

Also nobody's mentioned Pop Team Epic yet, anime of the year 2018?

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 11, 2020

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Thirding Mayoiga, and adding Interlude (2003). Dub preferably for the silliest experience, but it's a pile of incredible nonsense in any form.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mayoiga is such an incredible experience. Highly recommend just watching it with a bud and not seeing any spoilers and as little info about the show as possible

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Oh, The Flying Phantom Ship is actually the perfect movie for this. It's only an hour long but has the content of three or four full movies in it

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Furnaceface posted:

Melody of Oblivion
Ergo Proxy

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Poppy the Performer

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Furnaceface posted:

Darkside Blues, Night on the Galactic Railrod

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

More just along the lines of just weird and odd, but I really enjoyed Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.

In a more somber, ponderous way, Angel's Egg fits the bill in being a movie that you have to find the meaning of it all for yourself.

And if we are talking about goofy, odd shows with a lot of charm but questionable quality, Popee the Performer and Popteamepic come to mind.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You guys rule, that is way more than I expected to show up. Was expecting to fill a weekend but now it looks like more than a week. :toot:

e: Oh Mayoiga is on CR, may as well start with that.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 11, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Furnaceface posted:

an obscure and short one I'll recommend without comment is Alien 9

I also like that its MAL is sitting at a rating of exactly 6.66

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kemonozume by Yuasa is pretty weird, and its mostly pretty good. I'm not the biggest fan of the ending, but overall I enjoyed it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I enjoy anime the most when it's completely absurd in premise and/or execution: FLCL, Girls und Panzer, Cells at Work!, Panty & Stocking, etc. What are some good, light in tone (or at least obviously comically over the top with dark humor) animes that would fit my clearly discerning pallet?

I'm asking you guys because I don't know poo poo about anime. Case in point, I picked up Madoka Magica at one point because it looked like a cute but somber magical girl anime, and welp

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

I enjoy anime the most when it's completely absurd in premise and/or execution: FLCL, Girls und Panzer, Cells at Work!, Panty & Stocking, etc. What are some good, light in tone (or at least obviously comically over the top with dark humor) animes that would fit my clearly discerning pallet?

I'm asking you guys because I don't know poo poo about anime. Case in point, I picked up Madoka Magica at one point because it looked like a cute but somber magical girl anime, and welp

humanity has declined

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

the first two seasons of yugioh gx. especially dubbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Chokes McGee posted:

There are varying degrees of absurd, from the setting being absurd to the narrative, and there's a difference in high-energy absurd and other-worldly absurd. So these recommendations are likely to be all over the place in terms of what you're trying to find.

If you can deal with gore, definitely check out Dorohedoro.
Dead Leaves is prototypical Imaishi, about a Prison break on the Moon.
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is Gainax from the same era as FLCL and like Panty and Stocking shifts genres each episode.
Jungle Wa Itsumo Hake Nochi Guu is a comedy set in a Jungle village with one of the main characters being super weird in ways that lead to defying reality.
Shimoneta is an ecchi satire on how overzealous censorship affects society.
Keijo!!!!!!!! is an ecchi sports anime about girls fighting each other using only their boobs and butts.
Popteamepic is a sketch comedy that is unique in various aspects, mostly in a meta sense.
Popee the Performer is a cg comedy about these people working at a circus inadvertantly killing and maiming each other
SegaHardGirls is a cg comedy about anthropomorphic Sega Consoles going to school and entering actual Sega Video Games to complete tasks and earn medals to graduate.
Kaiba Sci-fi set on an alien world where memories and minds can be stored in chips
Inferno Cop Flaming Skeketon Cop seeks justice
And of course, Princess Tutu.