Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I need further public evidence that I don't have enough keeping me busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bij.

If I'm enough of a trek fan, do I post enough about it?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
YOU. THE ONE WHO IS MOVING NOW.

RESPOND.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
SuvwI', acknowledge! A leader must be tested... experience bIj! >>=D

LOW LEVEL MALFUNCTION

Bah! Duj veQDuj!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Grand Fromage posted:

I, the one who is posting now, would like to experience bij.

Answer!

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Whereas the engines on the Equinox are all "AaaaaAAAAAAAGGGHHH, OHGODITHURTS, NRRRRRRGHHHH, AAAAAAAAAAA!"

"Hey Commander, is it true that your brother went crazy in the Delta Quadrant and started shoveling aliens into his warp core like an ancient steam locomotive?"

<voice breaking> "...Rudy was a good man in an impossible situation. <sniff> Why can't you little bastards just leave him alone?!???

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 15, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd also like to express my fondness for that particular bij.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Bij me up, Esperterra!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Bij please.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Catching up on 15 pages of this thread gave me bij. but i'm always down for more.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

We've all been experiencing bij every day now for the past like four years, might as well make it official.

Bij me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My entire posting history is bij, so sign me up

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Despite popular culture memes, Kirk never once said the words "Bij me up Scotty" in the 60s Sci-fi series Star Trek.

Unlike Kirk, I would like to experience Bij.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh and just to make sure, I too would like to EXPERIENCE BIJ.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Bij me with them painsticks as long if it doesn't remove my beloved Zaurg & Sumo tags.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bij me up, espy

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'll prob do what I did in the GBS FFVII thread and have anyone who wants a tag respond to me when it's been uploaded. Depending on how many tags you have something might have to go.

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It looks like you, the one who is posting now, is trying to EXPERIENCE BIJ!
                                       Did I get that right?
                                                       /

(I would also like to EXPERIENCE BIJ if two tags are ok)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I played that VHS game a comically large amount of times growing up, can I also be Bij'd please?

ive always wanted a gang tag for the best word in klingon tbh

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Grand Fromage posted:

I, too, with the BIJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agy7tFNt_A8

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I'll have a Bij and a pancake please.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
It's a good day to live, not a good day to experience bij yet
q'apla!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Experience Q'doBa!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Fun fact: Robert O'Reilly plays Aakar, Gowron's DSC-era ancestor in House Divided, the new STO episode. He actually turns to the camera in one cutscene and says "Experience bIj."

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Experience Q'doBa!

lol pretty good tbh

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Statutory Ape posted:

I played that VHS game a comically large amount of times growing up, can I also be Bij'd please?

ive always wanted a gang tag for the best word in klingon tbh

I've always wondered how that game worked, if you want to :justpost:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

The way I understand it, you just play a board game as normal, except every once in a while a character pops up on screen (in this case and angry Klingon) and assigns an arbitrary task or punishment to a player that happens to meet some criteria (whoever's turn it is, whoever's on a certain square, etc.) You have until the end of the tape to finish the game, otherwise you lose (or start the tape over again, in the case of the Star Trek game).

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The VHS was uploaded to YouTube of you want a feel for what the video is like. https://youtu.be/3_739DxrMOs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've watched parts of it but there was nothing really to indicate how the game worked. That it was just a random event generator running in the background makes sense I guess.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

As the person who brought this whole thing back from when it died like ten+ years ago, I feel like I have to get the tag if we do it!

Is there a way to see our old avatars? I'd love to show off my old Kavok one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I've watched parts of it but there was nothing really to indicate how the game worked. That it was just a random event generator running in the background makes sense I guess.

You know some nerds definitely memorized the order of the "random" events before they played

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Kavok has hijacked the Enterprise while it's empty and in Starbase for servicing, and is racing with it back to Klingon space. Because he's a dumb Klingon he doesn't know that there's a problem with the Warp Core that will cause it to explode in 60 minutes if he keeps pushing warp 9.

The players are starfleet officers who happened to still be on board. They need to move around the ship going to various rooms to pick up (5?) isolinear chips to fix the computer and a phaser to stun Kavok. Once a player has those things then they need to get to the bridge and win. There might be some other resource they need to gather to bypass security. Moving is basically Cluedo - the saucer is a big circle and I think there was an engineering section and you roll dice to move squares and go in buildings. Some cards would let you beam from room to room as a shortcut.

Kavok knows you are on board and thinks it's great sport that you are trying to stop him, so rather than beam you into space he occasionally calls up the player who's turn it is to either give them a reward or punish them in some irritating way (beaming them randomly around the ship, putting up a forcefield that makes them skip their turn, stealing their ships etc). Because the Enterprise computer is malfunctioning sometimes when he tries to punish you something good ends up happening.

It's an okay game, it's limited in that notionally the players want someone to win so you don't all die, but there isn't really any reason to cooperate so it's really fully competitive. Also once you've played a couple of times you know exactly when Kavok is going to appear on screen and if it's a good or bad event, so there's a little bit of constructive fast or slow play.

e: oh I checked the Wiki. The warp core isn't a problem, the problem is that Kavoc is launching a false flag attack on Qo'noS to start a war and you'll get blown up by the Klingon fleet if you don't retake the Enterprise. Kavoc is chill with you being onboard because he thinks it's hilarious that you will die in honourable combat with him.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 15, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
A lot of the old VHS games were those sort of "race the clock" games, where the tape would play in the background while the players were trying to carry out tasks, and every once in a while, the tape would give the active player special instructions. If nobody won by the time the tape was over, everyone would lose.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The Bloop posted:

You know some nerds definitely memorized the order of the "random" events before they played

it is the order of things

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VCR board games are an odd little historical artifact. They almost never actually use the video part for anything (it's just there so you can see the announcer/host/whatever), so the concept could easily have been done radio-show style and invented at any point since the invention of the LP phonograph record. But in our timeline they didn't appear until the 90s, as VHS tapes. Some of the games were actually quite good -- Atmosfear was an absolute blast if you had a full load of six players. Other games, not so much. I once played a Star Wars one that everyone agreed stunk on ice.

Googling around now, I see there have been a few attempts to revive the genre, replacing the tape with an app, which would allow a lot more randomness and variety and (theoretically) replay value. We'll see if it catches on, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Epicurius posted:

A lot of the old VHS games were those sort of "race the clock" games, where the tape would play in the background while the players were trying to carry out tasks, and every once in a while, the tape would give the active player special instructions. If nobody won by the time the tape was over, everyone would lose.

I watched one of those old horror ones on YouTube a while ago, and it was kind of neat in that as the game continued, the video guy got progressively creepier looking and the lighting on him got darker and more contrasty. Other than that, it seemed boring as hell.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

VCR board games are an odd little historical artifact. They almost never actually use the video part for anything (it's just there so you can see the announcer/host/whatever), so the concept could easily have been done radio-show style and invented at any point since the invention of the LP phonograph record. But in our timeline they didn't appear until the 90s, as VHS tapes. Some of the games were actually quite good -- Atmosfear was an absolute blast if you had a full load of six players. Other games, not so much. I once played a Star Wars one that everyone agreed stunk on ice.

Googling around now, I see there have been a few attempts to revive the genre, replacing the tape with an app, which would allow a lot more randomness and variety and (theoretically) replay value. We'll see if it catches on, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

For an even briefer time there was the DVD board game, which could be much better than VHS thanks to branching and menus.

I remember seeing atmosfear advertised when I was a kid and really wanting to try it, it just looked cool.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 15, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The VCR game was neat. IIRC it was a race against time feeling and the tape added some nice ambiance to it

kind of a fun gimmick but we did actually play it quite a few times which is funny

i was not even 10 when we got it probably :shrug:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phylodox posted:

I watched one of those old horror ones on YouTube a while ago, and it was kind of neat in that as the game continued, the video guy got progressively creepier looking and the lighting on him got darker and more contrasty. Other than that, it seemed boring as hell.

Well of course it was boring, you were watching a game clock with no actual game going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The VCR board game episode of Community is great, especially the end tag where the game actor (Vince Gilligan!)’s wife convinces him to leave his job at Apple, since it’s 1993 and VCR games are obviously going to be the new money maker.