Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bolind posted:

Yet they still don’t have an angle impact like the rest.

Heated vest or a rebar bender? Got you covered.

That being said I run Makita 18V and I’m a happy camper. Once you’re in the system tools can be had fairly cheap for the brushed stuff and the brushless isn’t too bad.

What are you talking about? The Makita Angle Impact is sitting at the top of my wish list on amazon.

sharkytm posted:

I know. No ratchet either.

They also have a 12v ratchet as well... 35 ft lbs of torque vs 35 foot pounds on the M12.

Last I checked, Makita has the largest cordless tool ecosystem, though that number counts different iterations of the same tool (eg brushless or brushed) as different ones, so it’s ultimately a meaningless statement. I think TTI’s Milwaukee brand probably has roughly the same total number, but honestly at this point there’s more variety in either than I’ll ever need.

E: For instance Makita has a number of cordless mowers whereas Milwaukee doesn’t have any. All that being said, I recently bought one and I just went with Kobalt because I was able to get one stupid cheap at end of season clearance

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
What do you guys like for AC gauges? Our Harbor Freight set's plastic housing broke, it still works but you have to hold the housing away from the dial or it won't turn. Is there a price-reliability sweet spot somewhere if I'm looking to replace them?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
To contribute to battery chat, apparently makita batteries will kill themselves if deep discharged 3 times according to AvEs video.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

bolind posted:

Yet they still don’t have an angle impact like the rest.

They do though?

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XLT01Z

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Plastik posted:

What do you guys like for AC gauges? Our Harbor Freight set's plastic housing broke, it still works but you have to hold the housing away from the dial or it won't turn. Is there a price-reliability sweet spot somewhere if I'm looking to replace them?

you can get replacement gauges for your set. they pipe thread into the manifold.

otherwise the quality brands are JB, yellow jacket, and imperial, and they start at a hundo a set. second tier is mastercool and robinair.

there are others, for example if you wanted digital gauges there is testo or fieldpeice. but I am assuming we are talking about automotive and r134a

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My 12V Bosch impact driver and hammer drill are powerhouses for how small they are. The Impact driver can get 120NM lugs off with a fresh battery and enough time. The drill got through solid concrete as well the other day. The size is really the biggest plus though. We've got Ryobi stuff now as well as we got one of those big bags of tool deals. Feel solid, but not at the same level as my Bosch stuff.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Hypnolobster posted:

Wash bottles kick rear end. I actually use them for cooking oils too. Looks weird, but works awesome.

They can leak from temperature changes, since the straw is submerged in liquid and they're airtight. It takes a decent temp swing, but it definitely happens. I don't worry about it with solvents (always have IPA, acetone and distilled water in them), but the ones I've got in the kitchen I unscrew the lid very slightly between uses.

Yup. My bottle straws have little caps on them that are tight enough to hold pressure, but when I removed that I got a large outpouring of IPA I wasn't expecting. I have LED strips lighting the workbench mounted under the shelf they were sitting on. Now they sit on a different shelf, hopefully that will solve the problem since the room itself has very stable temps being more of less in a basement.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MrOnBicycle posted:

My 12V Bosch impact driver and hammer drill are powerhouses for how small they are. The Impact driver can get 120NM lugs off with a fresh battery and enough time. The drill got through solid concrete as well the other day. The size is really the biggest plus though. We've got Ryobi stuff now as well as we got one of those big bags of tool deals. Feel solid, but not at the same level as my Bosch stuff.

Yeah I have the same little set and they loving always work around the house.

Still want something beefier so I browse the pawn next to my work sometimes.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Frank Dillinger posted:

To contribute to battery chat, apparently makita batteries will kill themselves if deep discharged 3 times according to AvEs video.

I saw this video too, and it really makes me wonder what the hard fault threshold is. I typically run my batteries to empty to reduce the number of charging cycles, though there’s probably a threshold at which they quit chooching to prevent a total discharge. I’ve also misplaced one of the original batteries and let it sit around for at least a full year, and it’s still going strong after a charge.

I’m still running five year old 3 AH batteries from the starter kit, but admittedly I’m a weekend user that doesn’t frequently abuse these things :shrug:

I wonder if that’s a safety feature to prevent rupturing of the cells?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

I saw this video too, and it really makes me wonder what the hard fault threshold is. I typically run my batteries to empty to reduce the number of charging cycles, though there’s probably a threshold at which they quit chooching to prevent a total discharge. I’ve also misplaced one of the original batteries and let it sit around for at least a full year, and it’s still going strong after a charge.

I’m still running five year old 3 AH batteries from the starter kit, but admittedly I’m a weekend user that doesn’t frequently abuse these things :shrug:

I wonder if that’s a safety feature to prevent rupturing of the cells?

It's a safety feature, one that all batteries implement. Makita hosed up by powering the BMS from a single cell instead of the whole pack, so it very slowly drains that cell. Once that cell goes too low, the BMS won't let the pack charge because of the low voltage and imbalance. I've had my original 2x3Ah batteries for 11 years, plus 5 others, and never had one fail to charge. Honestly, I think weekend warrior types are the ones suffering the majority of the failures because they're NOT using them constantly.

OSU_Matthew posted:

What are you talking about? The Makita Angle Impact is sitting at the top of my wish list on amazon.

They also have a 12v ratchet as well... 35 ft lbs of torque vs 35 foot pounds on the M12.

Last I checked, Makita has the largest cordless tool ecosystem, though that number counts different iterations of the same tool (eg brushless or brushed) as different ones, so it’s ultimately a meaningless statement. I think TTI’s Milwaukee brand probably has roughly the same total number, but honestly at this point there’s more variety in either than I’ll ever need.

E: For instance Makita has a number of cordless mowers whereas Milwaukee doesn’t have any. All that being said, I recently bought one and I just went with Kobalt because I was able to get one stupid cheap at end of season clearance
:this got left in editor mode:
I had heard negative things about that angle impact initially, but the reviews are good now. Huh, maybe I'll put it on my Xmas list. I don't need one often, but when I do...

And poo poo, I missed that ratchet. It came out in late 2019, 8 years after Milwaukee. The interchangeable anvils are really interesting... shame I've got a bunch of M12s already. I can't justify switching over, and another battery ecosystem to invest in.

Plastik posted:

I got a set of Mastercools on Amazon Warehouse. They're SO nice, night and day compared to cheapies. If you do any amount of AC work, spend the money on a good name-brand set. Yellow Jacket are nicer, or Fieldpiece... but $75 was worth it to me, $150+ wasn't. I've used them on R134a and R410. Yellow Jacket for the R410 converter, and C&D for the valve core remover, Robinar for the vacuum pump. I went with a CPS micron gauge. No complaints with any of it.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NY1XTR8/ Is what I bought

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 16, 2020

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Frank Dillinger posted:

Can confirm. Killed 1 battery so far. However that's 1 out of 7. That said, having used Milwaukie/Dewalt/Portercable - you can pry my Makita kit from my cold dead hands. I've got a solid 25 pieces including blowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, camping lights, work lights, etc.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
One of our Ryobi batteries probably discharged itself, but I don't know how. Has been smacked a bit as well, so can't return it neither. Got a voltage reading of 1.4V. Apparently you can charge it up to the BMS required voltage and then attempt to charge it?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

sharkytm posted:

It's a safety feature, one that all batteries implement. Makita hosed up by powering the BMS from a single cell instead of the whole pack, so it very slowly drains that cell. Once that cell goes too low, the BMS won't let the pack charge because of the low voltage and imbalance. I've had my original 2x3Ah batteries for 11 years, plus 5 others, and never had one fail to charge. Honestly, I think weekend warrior types are the ones suffering the majority of the failures because they're NOT using them constantly.

:this got left in editor mode:
I had heard negative things about that angle impact initially, but the reviews are good now. Huh, maybe I'll put it on my Xmas list. I don't need one often, but when I do...

And poo poo, I missed that ratchet. It came out in late 2019, 8 years after Milwaukee. The interchangeable anvils are really interesting... shame I've got a bunch of M12s already. I can't justify switching over, and another battery ecosystem to invest in.

Aahhh, that makes a lot of sense. And yeah, absolutely no reason to invest into a new ecosystem for the same tool. That’s honestly kinda pathetic it took them 8 years to come out with a ratchet.

I want an angle impact, but the Dewalt Impact Adapter has been so drat good to me I can’t justify anything else. What a ridiculously good little tool.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone have experience with the HF "Storehouse" parts storage containers?
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/4-bin-storage-container-92567.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/abs-storage-organizer-95807.html

Or another cheap option?

My dad has tons of misc little screws kept in tiny divider boxes without any lids just shoved in the bottom of his tool chest. I'd like to at least separate them by self-tapping wood screw, machine screw, nail, thumbtack, washer, a small rock, unbent paper clip, etc. It's not my poo poo, don't wanna spend a lot, but would like for at least the top to stay closed when being carried.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

^^ the HF knockoff version of the stanley parts organizers are better than those, but you definitely wouldn't want to actually pick them up from the handle like a suitcase if you've got fairly small fasteners in there. I'd spring for the actual stanley (they sell the deep version at Depot, and you can get the shallow version online) if that's likely to happen.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-10-Compartment-Deep-Pro-Small-Parts-Organizer-014710R/100375900
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-25-Compartment-Shallow-Pro-Small-Parts-Organizer-014725R/203707065
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/8-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93927.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/20-bin-medium-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1862/313805453
Also, whoops, spent $400 on grinders. 4 1/2 and the 6", with two HO 6.0 batteries. Shitload of money for me to spend on convenience considering I own.. 4 corded grinders. But holy poo poo that's a god drat deal and cordless grinders are lifechanging for general fabrication.

e: links

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 17, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Uthor posted:

Anyone have experience with the HF "Storehouse" parts storage containers?
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/4-bin-storage-container-92567.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/abs-storage-organizer-95807.html

Or another cheap option?

My dad has tons of misc little screws kept in tiny divider boxes without any lids just shoved in the bottom of his tool chest. I'd like to at least separate them by self-tapping wood screw, machine screw, nail, thumbtack, washer, a small rock, unbent paper clip, etc. It's not my poo poo, don't wanna spend a lot, but would like for at least the top to stay closed when being carried.

I just got a few different organizers including the second one you linked to store a bunch of bulk bolts, nuts and washers. The black and yellow one (the second one you linked) thought me a lesson in how lovely HF can make a product that should be foolproof. The dividers don't have a slot to go into at the bottom, and washers like to work under them and lift the dividers, keeping it from closing. Also the latches like to submarine into the case and it's just fiddly.

The rest of the ones I got there are the smaller clear ones, which are the same and cheap but nothing in there is large enough to cause issues and I keep them flat. I'd reccomend those all day for tiny nuts, screws, etc. I use one for misc drill bits that didn't fit in the index, and another for all of the small parts to my paint guns. They work well for that.

If I had another order of heavier (3/8s or bigger) nuts and bolts I'd go for a name brand organizer.

I've got the Stanley shallow suitcase ones and they're good for small quantities but I dislike how small each bin is for bulk storage.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i got some of these a couple of years ago during black friday, good for home use but wouldnt survive on a jobsite

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-Compartment-Interlocking-Small-Parts-Organizer-in-Black-2-Pack-320034/204515485

they have movable dividers so if you have longer fasteners they can be accommodated

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BraveUlysses posted:

i got some of these a couple of years ago during black friday, good for home use but wouldnt survive on a jobsite

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-Compartment-Interlocking-Small-Parts-Organizer-in-Black-2-Pack-320034/204515485

they have movable dividers so if you have longer fasteners they can be accommodated

Those look nice and perfect. This would be solely to segregate a mess that will 99% of the time stay inside the tool chest. My dad can't do stuff around the house anymore, so it's for my own sanity when I visit. And for my mom's who hates the mess.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The HF cases Hypnolobster linked to are pretty popular because they go for for $10 and $6 each with coupons. There are two different SKUs, at least for the shallow case. One is decent and the other should be avoided.

I wouldn't want to carry a fully loaded one like a suitcase but you can make a storage rack for them.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

OSU_Matthew posted:

I saw this video too, and it really makes me wonder what the hard fault threshold is. I typically run my batteries to empty to reduce the number of charging cycles

This isn't the best way to treat lithium batteries for maximum longevity. It's how you should treat the NiCd batteries of old. Lipos should be ideally be kept at 3.85V per cell. Draining too far below this voltage wears out the battery faster. Being stored full damages a lipo cell over time even when not in use. This wear gets exponentially worse the closer to 100% they are stored, dramatically exacerbated by heat.

The number or charge/discharge cycles a lipo cell will stand before it's worn out depends on several factors (temps, amps, volts etc). If you can nominally get 500 cycles between full and empty (this voltage depends on what the charger/BMS allows but 4.2-3.2V is common), you can stretch the use out of a battery a whole lot by trying to keep the voltage away from the extremes.

For tool batteries I tend to not charge a half full battery unless I plan to use it soon. Charged RC batteries I didn't use on an outing I discharge to storage voltage before putting them away (a descent RC battery charger will have a function for this). On my e-bike batteries I have modified my chargers with a programmable high voltage cutoff in order to keep the cells between 3.6 - 4.0v in daily use, and only charge to a full 4.2 if I need the extra range. This means I charge both at home and at work, doubling the number of charge cycles - it seems to have more than doubled the life I get out of my current batteries though, compared to how they wore before I started doing this. Also I never charge a pack that's too cold or hot if I can help it anymore, which is probably a big part of this improvement too. I googled a bit before I wrote this to make sure I wasn't full of poo poo, and it turns out I should actually charge to 3.92v, so I guess I'll go and reprogram my charger now. Source: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The HF cases Hypnolobster linked to are pretty popular because they go for for $10 and $6 each with coupons. There are two different SKUs, at least for the shallow case. One is decent and the other should be avoided.

I wouldn't want to carry a fully loaded one like a suitcase but you can make a storage rack for them.

That's pretty sweet.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

That's pretty sweet.

Another vote for the Stanley branded ones. Zoro sells them.
I built this last year. It works very well, and some of those boxes have 30+ #of hardware in them.
http://imgur.com/a/OKwlJDG

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

Also, whoops, spent $400 on grinders.

Ah poo poo so did I. That’s a super good deal. Oh well, no such thing as too many grinders I guess.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm a huge fan of those 20 compartment small-parts organizers from DeWalt that HD has on the shelf. I have a few of them for my tap and die collection, which has grown out of control in recent years. Need to chase the threads in a 3/8-24 inverted flare port without chewing up the inverted flare cone? Tap something to 7/16-28 UNEF? 1/2-28 UNEF? I have it. I probably spent money on it that I shouldn't have.

(living within 10 miles of https://www.used-tools.com is a blessing and a curse.)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Big Taint posted:

Ah poo poo so did I. That’s a super good deal. Oh well, no such thing as too many grinders I guess.

sharkytm posted:

4.5". Buy one name-brand. Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Metabo (German Metabo, not HPT). Put whatever hard rock wheel you need on it. Put a cutoff on the other grinder. Wait, did I say one grinder?

Two grinders. I suggest a Makita 4" and a name-brand 4.5". Put a flapdisk on the 4", and a hard rock on the 4.5". Wait, you needed a cutoff wheel on a grinder, right?

Three grinders. A Makita 4", a name-brand 4.5", and a cheap 4.5". Put the cutoff wheel on the other 4.5". Put the knotted wire wheel on the other grinder. Wait... We're out of grinders again.

Four grinders. A Makita 4", a name-brand 4.5", a cheap 4.5", and a 5"/6" Milwaukee or Makita. Flap, hard rock, cutoff, wire wheel. But you need two different grits of hard wheel, right?

Five grinders. A Makita 4", a name-brand 4.5", a cheap 4.5", a 5"/6" Milwaukee or Makita, and a 9" Makita because gently caress it why not. Flap, 2 hard rocks, cutoff, wire wheel. But you need to cut aluminum or stainless and those take different wheel construction.

Seven grinders. Plus one for lending out. Eight sounds right. But it's so close to ten. Ten grinders is more than enough. poo poo, I forgot about a diamond cup for grinding concrete or granite. Twelve grinders. Final answer.

Wait, cordless. Gotta get a couple of those. Fifteen grinders.
sharky said it best, but I agree with "no such thing as too many grinders".

Hell, I've debated buying another one already, and I haven't even used the one I originally bought when I was asking for recommendations yet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I bought two grinders after I read that the first time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I bought two grinders after I read that the first time.
How many did you buy this time? :q:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
LOL. I'm glad I can contribute to the madness.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is it bad I don't have any grinders? I usually buy tools when I need them, have I not needed one yet, or have I not known I needed one yet is the real question.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 18, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
you will always need more grinders, but don't bother buying one until you need it. I usually use mine for removing skin from my knuckles and putting grinder marks all over everything next to what I was trying to cut off.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

you will always need more grinders, but don't bother buying one until you need it. I usually use mine for removing skin from my knuckles and putting grinder marks all over everything next to what I was trying to cut off.

Don't forget assisting in your "Pinhead" from Hellraiser cosplay when you equip it with a wire wheel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

shockingly, I don't seem to have an issue with that. I was using a knotted wire cup from HF of all places for about half an hour Tuesday night with absolutely no safety guards in place and jorts on, and was impaled by wires zero times.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

sharkytm posted:

Don't forget assisting in your "Pinhead" from Hellraiser cosplay when you equip it with a wire wheel.

Do not let the wire wheel contact your shirt.

Fortunately my tshirt was suitable PPE, and brought my 4 ½" Metabo to a halt.

There's no such thing as too many grinders, I have a Metabo, and an unkillable Skil, one for grinding one for cutting, thinking about a third for wire-wheeling, I don't like changing wheels.

A 7" DeWalt followed me home yesterday, I proceeded to attach the Most Dangerous accessory to it.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

sharkytm posted:

if you don’t need right-angle often, there are good right-angle adapters out there. with how small modern impacts are, it’s all I ever need.

you’re not missing out on the Makita ratchet; it’s hard to tell from the photo but it’s HUGE, and takes the 18v battery. form factor is not even competing with the Milwaukee M12 stuff; I feel like it was designed for steel-workers, not mechanics. I can’t find a picture of them next to each other.

Makita might have a 12v version by now but they didn’t when I bought my M12 stuff. I don’t like being in two battery universes either but I’m already heavily invested in Makita 18v stuff and it’s been bulletproof for me, so I don’t really want to switch over. there are a lot of M12 tools that Makita isn’t even trying to make (soldering iron, tons of lights, tiny reciprocating saws, etc)

I once ran over my Makita 1/2” impact wrench, which some gumshoe had left on the ground, with a 40’ boom lift (6 ton machine with solid rubber tires). I pried it out of the dirt and kept working.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Elviscat posted:

Most Dangerous accessory

I'm not seeing one of those chainsaw wheels that's used for shaping wood really fast

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Any reason not to get the tekton 1/4" and 3/8" torque wrenches if I'm in approximately that price range? They seem like the OEM for a bunch of ~100$ units and I don't want to pay wera money at this moment, are there other options to look at?

I'm thinking of getting the 24330 and 24320 to cover the majority of what I expect on bikes and motorcycles.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got the 1/2" Tekton wrench, and it's ok for home use. I'm not a huge fan of the adjusting method that use, I'd rather they had the sliding collar to lock the setting instead of the locking screw at the bottom. Plus it feels a little clunkier than the Craftsman 3/8 and 1/2 I have at home, or the Steelman 1/2" we use at work for all the service bays.

I do like that they're all metal, versus the plastic handles on my Craftsmans. You could look at the OEM Tools wrenches for something in the same ballpark for price. I've looked at Gearwrench for my next purchases, but they're just over double the price of the Tekton.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Jesus Christ I just spent $27 om a Bahco single Torx 50 bit. poo poo breaking and being out in the sticks.... But Bahco is basically Snap On now. Says made in the USA.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Bahco used to be a quality brand before they started to put their name on bad cheap stuff. Hopefully they're going back to their roots - I don't think low quality tools are manufactured in the U.S. in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Invalido posted:

I don't think low quality tools are manufactured in the U.S. in general?
:lol: