Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1305312357246283784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I wish they'd look at stats across users instead of just run by run.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Those pie charts are violence.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Why is it at a resolution that is literally impossible to read

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

So. We raised $10,000 dollars more than last year? Seems pretty good.

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007

Poque posted:

Why is it at a resolution that is literally impossible to read

If you hit the link to the post and scroll to the bottom theres a link for pdf.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

$6,150.00 + $20,218.22 = $26,218.22? :eng99:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

1234567890num posted:

$6,150.00 + $20,218.22 = $26,218.22? :eng99:

great username/post combo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DrOnline posted:

If you hit the link to the post and scroll to the bottom theres a link for pdf.

Ah that's good. The one embedded in the blog is totally unusable, heh

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm always surprised when #Reg has the lowest completion% but I assume some of that is first-timers registering and forgetting

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

oldskool posted:

I'm always surprised when #Reg has the lowest completion% but I assume some of that is first-timers registering and forgetting. Or they pull something like Thief/berserker/ranger and can't get past Liquiflame or Byblos or Sandworm or any of the other rear end in a top hat W1 bosses.

Yeah, I'd guess the people running vanilla rules are more likely to be first timers and they burn out before they finish.

Us weirdos who start playing with like the random / 750 / ect have probably been through it a couple of times and they are a bit more familiar and can hammer through it a lot quicker, know the grind spots and what to farm for are probably more likely to be able to knock out a couple of runs quickly.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
float free, gentle thread

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Here comes the Fall event: http://fourjobfiesta.com/speedrun.php

Speedrun with Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer

Just think about how much more awful this run would be with the true worst Earth crystal job, Dragoon.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
still waiting for an out-of-season event that is fun

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
to be fair, it takes a while for the novelty of Punch Dancing to wear off

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Poque posted:

still waiting for an out-of-season event that is fun

They can't all be winners but you'd think at least one of them would be.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ultrafilter posted:

They can't all be winners but you'd think at least one of them would be.

tbh I think I just need to come to terms with the fact that RK and I have very different ways we would run the event overall, and it isn't my event so I should just be more amenable to going with the flow. FJF is very fun and this is just an optional side thing for those who want to do it!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1352426144327294978

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

4 WHM Garula :negative:
but once you're through that it's cruise control, !Gaia to blow through random encounters, geo-powered !White and !Summon, and !Dance to get through Fork Tower.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I've done Garula with every other wind crystal job but I just can't bring myself to do a White Mage start.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1352484657565212674

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Here comes the Fall event: http://fourjobfiesta.com/speedrun.php

Speedrun with Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer

Just think about how much more awful this run would be with the true worst Earth crystal job, Dragoon.

Dragoon would actually be an upgrade in that team, believe it or not.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

ultrafilter posted:

I've done Garula with every other wind crystal job but I just can't bring myself to do a White Mage start.

White mage is so much better than, say, thief.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Man with Hat posted:

Yeah, by the time you get to Garula, you have access to the Healing Staff and that means White Mage is stable, you just have to have the patience to slog through it. The hardest fight in the Wind Crystal -> Water Crystal run for a White Mage is probably Carl Boss, mostly because you've got to kill it with Staff Damage or your bare goddamn hands. Siren can be Heal Bombed and Magissa/Forza aren't huge threats thanks to Silence and Protect.

White Mage solo class runs don't actively hurt until Liquid Flame and Byblos, and if you're solo White Mage by that point, you're either in Pure Chaos (and know what you're getting into) or you rolled a dupe (in which case hey two white mages in endgame).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Man with Hat posted:

For real. WHM start has infinite healing (Healing Staff), Protect, full damage from the back row...

W.T. Fits posted:

Dragoon would actually be an upgrade in that team, believe it or not.

I disagree. Getting to put Equip Ribbons on your Summoner and !Summon on an innate Ribbon-haver is ridiculous when you have Shell access.

Don't forget that surviving Almagest with Shell is trivial. It's a fifteen level difference in how high you need to take a Dancer to survive it comfortably.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

I disagree. Getting to put Equip Ribbons on your Summoner and !Summon on an innate Ribbon-haver is ridiculous when you have Shell access.

Don't forget that surviving Almagest with Shell is trivial. It's a fifteen level difference in how high you need to take a Dancer to survive it comfortably.

They were talking about the Fall event with Monk/Red Mage/Geo. Sadly, Red Mage gets kneecapped just shy of Shell, meaning having a ribbon isn't as helpful as having an Aegis Shield.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KataraniSword posted:

They were talking about the Fall event with Monk/Red Mage/Geo. Sadly, Red Mage gets kneecapped just shy of Shell, meaning having a ribbon isn't as helpful as having an Aegis Shield.

oh lmfao, my bad

I thought that was about this event and I was like "the gently caress dragoon would be better than dancer in WHM/SMN/GEO/X".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Man with Hat posted:

Thief isn't that bad if you take time to gain a few levels. White Mage is low risk, but it's painfully slow, and that's the bigger issue for me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Thief isn't that bad if you take time to gain a few levels. White Mage is low risk, but it's painfully slow, and that's the bigger issue for me.

The average Thief hit at moderate levels (talking like ~level 10 here) with a mythril knife is only going to be a bit more than the average Flail hit from a White Mage.

The White Mages also have the ability to attack from back row, have infinite healing, and have Protect.

I've done both (I've also done Bard which is Thief But Worse) and I would do White Mage ten times before doing Thief or Bard.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, having done both I'm also for the White Mage run over the Thief run. Thief offense is seriously not good early game (or ever, really) and they don't have the benefit of being pseudo-invincible.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

For the numbers:

Garula has 7 defense (quartered by the Flail down to 1)
Mythril Dagger has 23 attack power
Flail has 16 attack power

Random variance on Daggers is +0..3 attack power
Random variance on Flails is x0.5..1.5 (effectively)

Level 10 white mage has a M of 3, Level 10 thief has a M of 4

Thief damage per hit, front row: [23 + random(0..3) - 7] * 4 = [16..19] * 4 = 64 to 76 damage
Thief damage per hit, back row: [23 + random(0..3) - 7] * 2 = [16..19] * 2 = 32 to 38 damage
White Mage damage per hit: [8 + random(0..16) - 1] * 3 = [7..23] * 3 = 21 to 69 damage

Yes, white mage is lower (if you front row your attacking thief) and swingier, but you are never at risk of dying in any way, shape, or form.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Hahaha I found a Swedish fan patch of FF5 this is gonna be great

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
White Mage intro is pretty easy overall. It isn't even that slow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd probably rather do a solo White Mage than a solo Thief.

And yes, I know how insane some of the boss strats end up being.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Who writes a solo white mage guide without knowing about the flail in the ship graveyard? :psyduck:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Who writes a solo white mage guide without knowing about the flail in the ship graveyard? :psyduck:

There's a flail in th-- nah, doesn't work as well.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Great Scott!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kyrosiris posted:

oh lmfao, my bad

I thought that was about this event and I was like "the gently caress dragoon would be better than dancer in WHM/SMN/GEO/X".

Yeah, no, that was my bad for not clarifying that the post I was responding to was a few months old, sorry about that.

But yeah, for a team of Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer, I would absolutely take Dragoon over Dancer in a heartbeat. Barehanded Sword Dance Chicken Knife can put out some absurd numbers, but it's still a coin flip at best, and I'd rather not have to grind like hell just to tank Almagest. Dragoon with an Aegis Shield means I can just toss HP+30% on the Geomancer and have the Red Mage Shell herself with Wonder Wand and still take on NED at a reasonable level instead of grinding into the mid-to-high 40s. Plus the Dragoon Spear can let the Dragoon tear the Grand Cross section to shreds in short order, which should mean that Ribbons are unneeded.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Should've had Air Knife Geo Syldra summons. Should've had Golem and Carbuncle for physical defense and reflect. Should've had Esuna!

At least I had Shell. It's doable people, do it for charity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
drat, I always forget how much Geomancers are way underrated. I'm not even playing the Matrix version, where they're even better. Sure, !Gaia drags a bit in forests and doesn't help against Soul Cannon, but !Gaia can get you through a lot of the game, especially if you've got jobs with better magic and the elemental boosting equipment from World 2.

In the Matrix versions I'd argue that Geomancers > Beastmasters (which are severely nerfed)