Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I really wish achievements weren't locked behind Ironman. I can respect the "git gud" aspect a little bit, and also that it's about the journey, but sometimes going back a save is needed because you did something incredibly dumb or you didn't understand something in what can be a very complex game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Kalko posted:

I want to try being a nice king who uses diplomacy to do stuff so I searched the world map a bit and found Brittany, and I've done a couple of sway schemes against my neighbours (who belong to France) but how do I get from 'he likes me' to 'he gave me his land?' Do I need to marry my people into his line of succession and wait for him to die or something?

I also gathered from skimming this thread that Ambitious characters like plotting against you, and my spymaster is Ambitious so I decided I would try to remove him slowly by taking his counties like I learned in the tutorial. I got my bishop (who is somehow an athiest) to fabricate a claim on one of his counties and it worked but now I'm not sure how to actually take it without going to war (again like in the tutorial). Is there a peaceful way to claim land in this game or does it always involve war of some kind?

There are a couple of ways to get land peacefully. Marrying your kids into the target's line of succession (matrilineally, if it's your daughter) is certainly one -- for instance, if you marry your daughter matrilineally to your neighbor's third son, and then his first two sons tragically happen to die*, her kids will inherit the title. More directly, if you keep an eye out* for rulers with only daughters, they'll be more likely to accept a patrilineal marriage. So, marry your heir to the daughter, then she'll inherit her dad's title, then eventually both your titles and hers will pass to your grandkid, and you'll end up in charge of the whole shebang once you're playing as him/her. (I'm assuming male-preference here, just flip everything if applicable.)

You can also offer vassalization to people (by right-clicking them). They'll usually only accept if they're your de jure vassal (say, you're the King of Ireland and they're an independent count in Ireland, so you're their boss "by right"), the same culture/religion as you, and pretty weak. But you can close that gap a bit by making them like you or by getting Hooks on them.

That said, war is definitely the primary method.

As for your own vassals, you can revoke titles off them once your Crown Authority is level 2 or higher (again, by right-clicking the target). This is tyrannical -- and hence will piss all your vassals off -- if you don't have a reason, but having a claim on the title in question counts as a reason, as does the target being a criminal (which you can expose via spying on them) or a rebel. So you should be able to revoke your spymaster's land without tyranny. Oh, and also: if people die with absolutely no living family members to succeed them*, the title gets passed up to their liege, i.e. you.

Also keep in mind that gaining land isn't the only way to become powerful / influential, and in fact can be downright detrimental for some purposes, since said land will be full of pissy vassals who will give you a tiny sliver of their stuff in exchange for whining about everything you do, rebelling at the worst possible time, and demanding protection while not raising a finger to help.

*Murder being involved in these lucky coincidences is optional.

megane fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 16, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, I'm at 1350 something and own the whole of Britain, Northern France, and Frisia, and the only dudes that can match me are the Abbasids on the other side of the globe. I suppose I can call this run finished.

I wonder if I can do a super-duke run in one of the Karling realms now, with a self-imposed rule of never getting any title above Duke. Wonder how that playthrough would work out, though I suppose I should put the game down for now and wait for a first patch to fix some of the more glaring issues.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions and advice! An open-ended game is kind of refreshing, actually.

The brat in charge of France just threw some shade at me for reasons I don't quite understand, but I don't think I can do much about it at the moment. One day, though...

Kalko fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 16, 2020

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Kalko posted:

I want to try being a nice king who uses diplomacy to do stuff so I searched the world map a bit and found Brittany, and I've done a couple of sway schemes against my neighbours (who belong to France) but how do I get from 'he likes me' to 'he gave me his land?'

gently caress their wives.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a reason for why you cannot disinherit anyone outside of your realm? My heir murdered a kinsman, so I figured I'd disinherit him since I don't want to play as a kinslayer. However, I tried imprisoning him first, which he resisted, so he ran off to some random court. Now I can't disinherit him because he's "Not part of your realm".

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Kalko posted:

Is there a victory condition like conquering the world? Or is this game just a medieval life simulator? That's fine if it is, I'm just not sure if I'm supposed to be working towards some specific goal.

My favorite "victory" was in a heavily modified CK2 where I worked my way up to become the Roman emperor, engaged in a lot of short-sighted title swapping to expand my territory well beyond what it should be and by 1300 I had gone from ruling the broader Mediterranean world to having to gloriously relocate my capitol from Constantinople to Rome because *something something* rebellions *something something* I'm choosing this. It spiraled down from that, by the end I was barely hanging on to a duchy. I did not know what I was doing and it was awesome. Playing optimally makes the game a lot less fun.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

hard counter posted:

i'm sorry, i don't make the law

:confused:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Communist Bear posted:

I really wish achievements weren't locked behind Ironman. I can respect the "git gud" aspect a little bit, and also that it's about the journey, but sometimes going back a save is needed because you did something incredibly dumb or you didn't understand something in what can be a very complex game.

We already have an in-game achievement manager.

They can probably make it so that you can still earn achievements in non-ironman modded game and those would be labeled "filthy casual non-ironman achievements" or something. Don't show those in Steam profile to keep True Hardcore Gamers happy. I saw some games doing something like that. Tales of Maj'Elah is a roguelike with varied difficulty settings and it has all Steam achievements in several versions, like "Level 10", "Level 10 (Roguelike mode)", "Reach Level 10 (Exploration mode)", "Level 10 (Nightmare (Roguelike) difficulty)", "Level 10 (Nightmare (Adventure) difficulty)". It's probably a little excessive and you can just only keep non-ironman achievements saved locally.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Communist Bear posted:

Also the fact that I practically never get through an entire playthrough of any paradox campaign without having to deal with some bullshit that needs a workaround, like wars that never end in EU4 because a nation' land is split 50/50 between two invaders, financially crippling all three countries. You fuckin' bet I'm using the console to fix that poo poo. This time around it was non-existent cloud saves, where any save that goes into the cloud just disappears into the aether and never comes back. If you can't trust the save system not to gently caress you over, how can you even play ironman. And on top of that you need to play completely without mods, when good mods are the life and soul of Paradox games, it seems baffling to me.

Like, Civ 6 lets you get achievements with mods installed. Total War lets you get achievements with mods installed. It feels so weirdy elitist to freeze out a huge proportion of your playerbase from ever interacting with a feature specifically touted in development diaries and on store pages and I really wish it would end.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So the Armored Cavalry MAA are a trap pick right? They're insanely expensive for a quarter of the normal number of soldiers, and their stats are absolutely not 4x better.

e: oh I guess it's only half the number, and they are better than twice as powerful than armored infantry, at least in terms of attack. Still though, that cost.

Kalko posted:

This is my first Paradox game and I took the plunge partly because I've just finished reading a book about the Crusades and partly because skimming this thread I learned it has good in-game help, plus I've always appreciated reading weird and hilarious anecdotes about CK2. But now that I've done the tutorial (up until the guide disappears) and spent a bit of time playing I have one question : what am I supposed to actually do?

Is there a victory condition like conquering the world? Or is this game just a medieval life simulator? That's fine if it is, I'm just not sure if I'm supposed to be working towards some specific goal.

I want to try being a nice king who uses diplomacy to do stuff so I searched the world map a bit and found Brittany, and I've done a couple of sway schemes against my neighbours (who belong to France) but how do I get from 'he likes me' to 'he gave me his land?' Do I need to marry my people into his line of succession and wait for him to die or something?

I also gathered from skimming this thread that Ambitious characters like plotting against you, and my spymaster is Ambitious so I decided I would try to remove him slowly by taking his counties like I learned in the tutorial. I got my bishop (who is somehow an athiest) to fabricate a claim on one of his counties and it worked but now I'm not sure how to actually take it without going to war (again like in the tutorial). Is there a peaceful way to claim land in this game or does it always involve war of some kind?

Personally I find it's best to go into it as sort of a medieval role playing game. Pick an character or family somewhere that's interesting to you (it depends on your knowledge of the period obviously, the game suggest good ones, but many of the famous families are around) and just sort of roll with what happens.

My latest game I started as the Angevin count in 1066, during which they are relative nobodies. The French king lost a couple external wars and a whole lot of internal ones, leading to a complete collapse in authority, and basically 30 years of civil war, during which I decided to just start snatching up counties as I could grab them in Northern France, and eventually seized the throne for myself. The big challenge has been securing sensible successions for my sons and building up my land to support a professional MAA based force; I almost never raise my levies now.

As for gaining counties, you have to use the Revoke Title interaction on the owner of the land. Having a claim prevents you from taking a relations hit with all of your vassals, but the guy you revoke the land from will still be generally displeased with that.

Communist Bear posted:

You can absolutely keep copies of saves to roll back to, just copy-paste the save file. If you do something momentarily boneheaded, you can Task Manager out of the game and roll back a couple months that way.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 16, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

You can absolutely keep copies of saves to roll back to, just copy-paste the save file. If you do something momentarily boneheaded, you can Task Manager out of the game and roll back a couple months that way.

Oh, thank you! Had not considered that. It feels gamey, but I sometimes make a boneheaded move because I didn't understand what would happen and I want to go back.

Meanwhile, I haven't done too well with my eldest daughter. She is a batshit insane fornicator (with the chaste trait!) who has been sleeping with every lord up and down Britain, including the King of England. She revealed to me one day that my eldest son, and heir to the throne, is possibly not mine and the result of an adulterous affair. I had to eventually imprison and banish her.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Communist Bear posted:

Oh, thank you! Had not considered that. It feels gamey, but I sometimes make a boneheaded move because I didn't understand what would happen and I want to go back.

Meanwhile, I haven't done too well with my eldest daughter. She is a batshit insane fornicator (with the chaste trait!) who has been sleeping with every lord up and down Britain, including the King of England. She revealed to me one day that my eldest son, and heir to the throne, is possibly not mine and the result of an adulterous affair. I had to eventually imprison and banish her.

That "reveal" event is actually an intrigue event by the accuser that retroactively makes a child a bastard. It's not actually an adulterous event at all.
It even changes the biological father of the kid, retroactively. That's what someone earlier in the thread meant when they called intrigue focused characters literal wizards.

Edit: It's kind of a mishandled "Slander" event

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

That "reveal" event is actually an intrigue event by the accuser that retroactively makes a child a bastard. It's not actually an adulterous event at all.
It even changes the biological father of the kid, retroactively. That's what someone earlier in the thread meant when they called intrigue focused characters literal wizards.

Edit: It's kind of a mishandled "Slander" event

Arrrrghhhhh :(

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Does the event where your lovely councillor gives a foreign ruler a claim on your land not notify the person who gets the claim? I was fabricating a claim on a county and the task cancelled because I had gotten a claim on it somehow, with no notification or anything, and that's the only way it could have happened I can think of.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

Yeah it's pretty necessary sometimes (like my weird issue where I'd grant titles but then they wouldn't become my vassal for some reason). It takes a bit of self discipline but it's a good option to be aware of.

Also if you're about to do something important and you're not sure if it's gonna work the way you think (handing out Kingdom titles or something), just copy the save game from right before, stick it in a temp folder somewhere, and then you can exit to menu and paste it back in to go back and experiment.

Zohar posted:

Does the event where your lovely councillor gives a foreign ruler a claim on your land not notify the person who gets the claim? I was fabricating a claim on a county and the task cancelled because I had gotten a claim on it somehow, with no notification or anything, and that's the only way it could have happened I can think of.

It does not. In my current game I acquired a bunch of claims that way, never got a notification, and was always surprised to see them. Check your character's claims periodically I guess.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is there an option somewhere to adjust who the game automatically assigns as a champion/knight? Getting sick of finding out my heir died in combat after the game auto-knighted him. Having to go through the list of knights and manually forbid all the people I don't want to be champions is kind of tedious.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Any tips for What Nepotism?

I have 10 kingdoms, but I can't grant some of them independence because they're de jure.

I tried to be a terrible ruler and have them start a liberation faction- instead they picked another ruler to depose me ):

I'm going to have to try and take another unrelated Empire and make that my primary title, aren't I? ):

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Religion in the end game gets weird, once you are to powerful. I was running an Egypt vallal start, that eventually conquered half the world. Game was kind of over but I wanted to experiment. My dynasty was everywhere, all the dynasty legacies fully filled out, Strengthen Bloodline, nicely perfect rulers everywhere. Had dismanted the papacy, because why not.

I had the decision to reform the roman empire, but of course I couldn't take it because the religion requirements. So I tried for Hellenism, made a custom type of Islam that had the same tenets. 60 vassals switch over with me, no problems at all.

Still couldn't switch to Helenism, probably only because of the 500% penalty for being a reformed religion. But I could switch to Catholic, so why not ? Did that, all my vassals happily follow. After that I could Restore the Roman Empire. Nice purple everywhere. And then there was also a decision to reunite Catholicism with Orthodoxy, but I can't find that on the wiki.

Then I switched to Messalianism, so I could keep working towards "A Perfect Circle". Still all Vassals happily follow. And the realm is mostly stable.

But if I wanted to actually convert most of the people, I'd have to manually click every single count everywhere and ask them to convert one after another. And the one thing I really wanted, to found a witch coven, is totally impossible. You got to have 60% of your house as witches, but there is no way show just the members of your own house, and filter them by witch or not.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I don't know about your game, but in my game, there's a whole mess of uncreated titles (including Kingdom level) in Europe because Poland, Francia etc. keep infighting and breaking apart constantly and no one seems to want to create the titles themselves. See if you can scoop up enough duchies somewhere to create a new title that's not a de jure vassal of yours.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

If my non-heir child is in line to inherit a duchy, and I grant that duchy to them before hand, does it count as an early inheritance or will another title be added to him?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
PARADOX, it has been decades of you making games.

How is it that we still can't make our own colors for our custom empires? Why would I want my custom empire to be the color of Sweden, which is also the color of Scandinavia, which my neighbors are extremely likely to form now that they don't need the parts that I already have. Why would I want those to be the same color?

Also, why does a custom empire not have any crown whatsoever? Becoming an emperor, you just decide "gently caress crowns entirely!" instead of................... ah, forget it. I'm tired.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

MonikaTSarn posted:

And the one thing I really wanted, to found a witch coven, is totally impossible. You got to have 60% of your house as witches, but there is no way show just the members of your own house, and filter them by witch or not.

Sounds like you can fix this problem by just making a new cadet branch so your entire house is just your immediate family.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

So the Armored Cavalry MAA are a trap pick right? They're insanely expensive for a quarter of the normal number of soldiers, and their stats are absolutely not 4x better.

e: oh I guess it's only half the number, and they are better than twice as powerful than armored infantry, at least in terms of attack. Still though, that cost.

I haven't ever actually recruited them but in a sense the smaller unit size is an advantage for supply limits especially since feudal AI seems to never construct buildings.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

PARADOX, it has been decades of you making games.

How is it that we still can't make our own colors for our custom empires? Why would I want my custom empire to be the color of Sweden, which is also the color of Scandinavia, which my neighbors are extremely likely to form now that they don't need the parts that I already have. Why would I want those to be the same color?

Also, why does a custom empire not have any crown whatsoever? Becoming an emperor, you just decide "gently caress crowns entirely!" instead of................... ah, forget it. I'm tired.

This sounds all very moddable to me?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Communist Walrus posted:

Is there an option somewhere to adjust who the game automatically assigns as a champion/knight? Getting sick of finding out my heir died in combat after the game auto-knighted him. Having to go through the list of knights and manually forbid all the people I don't want to be champions is kind of tedious.

As far as I know right now you have to just keep an eye on your knights

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Skeletome posted:

I have 10 kingdoms, but I can't grant some of them independence because they're de jure.

I tried to be a terrible ruler and have them start a liberation faction- instead they picked another ruler to depose me ):

I'm going to have to try and take another unrelated Empire and make that my primary title, aren't I? ):
The trick is just ending up being a king not the emperor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It probably won't let you hand out kingdoms as long as the dejure empire exists, primary or not. so you'd need to do something like form france, destroy britannia, then hand out England/etc (or whatever empire we're talking about)

Or just go conquer Africa. They never see Europe coming and there's about 40 different kingdoms down there.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

MonikaTSarn posted:

But if I wanted to actually convert most of the people, I'd have to manually click every single count everywhere and ask them to convert one after another. And the one thing I really wanted, to found a witch coven, is totally impossible. You got to have 60% of your house as witches, but there is no way show just the members of your own house, and filter them by witch or not.

A neat thing I've found is that in the Rurik start your heir seems to be a witch. Or at least he was when I passed to him and since he has the nickname "the Seer" I assume he starts as a witch. It's hard to know for certain since being a witch is a secret.

Anyway, since your dynasty starts out very small it's pretty trivial to convert every relative to get the coven and at that point it becomes almost self-perpetuating since they'll try to convert their descendants and so on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah Helgi was a witch for me as well, so I'm guessing that's coded into the starting scenario. What does being a witch even do though? My current guy became one but I haven't actually noticed an effect anywhere.

Skeletome posted:

My advice would be give those Kingdoms out while you don't hold an Empire title, and then they'll automatically be independent. Might be too late for that now though :v:

canepazzo posted:

If my non-heir child is in line to inherit a duchy, and I grant that duchy to them before hand, does it count as an early inheritance or will another title be added to him?

The succession logic takes their current holdings into account. So if you land them prior to your death, that will count as their inheritance, it's doesn't penalize your main heir or whatever. If they hold duchy titles but are also entitled to counties, it will try to give them counties within the duchy they hold.

The same logic applies the other way, if you work the system to give your primary heir lots of titles before hand, it will give a larger portion of what you hold away to your other eligible heirs upon death. The distribution also updates if you acquire new titles; if you give your younger son one titles 20 years ago and then gain way more, he'll be entitled to a cut of those when you die too.

Really what I think the game tries to do is make sure each eligible heir has equitable positions (considering regular vs. high partition of course) after the succession is finished. The exact titles you hold at the instant of your death are less relevant, if that makes sense.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 16, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm playing a character in the holy roman empire and I've just been made steward. Are there actual things I can do wtih this?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a reason for why you cannot disinherit anyone outside of your realm? My heir murdered a kinsman, so I figured I'd disinherit him since I don't want to play as a kinslayer. However, I tried imprisoning him first, which he resisted, so he ran off to some random court. Now I can't disinherit him because he's "Not part of your realm".

You can't divorce me if you can't serve the papers!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

I'm playing a character in the holy roman empire and I've just been made steward. Are there actual things I can do wtih this?

You get paid, and there's a bunch of job appropriate bonuses. If you open the council tab, and click the tab to go to your liege's council, it'll tell you what you get.

The really crazy one is spymaster, it makes plots against your liege real straightforward.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah Helgi was a witch for me as well, so I'm guessing that's coded into the starting scenario. What does being a witch even do though? My current guy became one but I haven't actually noticed an effect anywhere.

There seems to be a UI bug where the witch trait is hidden, seems to be fixed now. The trait itself can be a sin or shunned depending on the religion. It adds intrigue and learning but decrease diplomacy, also witches like other witches.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

The really crazy one is spymaster, it makes plots against your liege real straightforward.

The same goes in reverse too: among all the people on your council, for the love of Odin make sure your spymaster has a decent opinion of you or all those angry vassals are going to find that it's really easy to get a 95% murder plot on you with the spymaster on their side.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

pedro0930 posted:

There seems to be a UI bug where the witch trait is hidden, seems to be fixed now. The trait itself can be a sin or shunned depending on the religion. It adds intrigue and learning but decrease diplomacy, also witches like other witches.

That and if you can get the witch coven all members of your house get +10 to fertility, scheme power/resistance, and a medium health boost.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Witch doesn't actually give you anything new to do unless you are part of a witch coven, besides the stat boost. Having the trait/secret is required for some unique events though.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The same goes in reverse too: among all the people on your council, for the love of Odin make sure your spymaster has a decent opinion of you or all those angry vassals are going to find that it's really easy to get a 95% murder plot on you with the spymaster on their side.

Dear Nemesis, I have decided to appoint you my spymaster! You're a right bastard and I hate you. Looking forward to working together tomorrow!

Your most hated enemy the King.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm picturing my spymaster just internally screaming and/or holding himself back from laughing when I tell him to please look out for any schemes targetting me or my close family, because they're all I have

e : I havent had any events about my steward skimming money off the top of my taxes like in ck2, is that still in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

Dear Nemesis, I have decided to appoint you my spymaster! You're a right bastard and I hate you. Looking forward to working together tomorrow!

Your most hated enemy the King.

Or, how I got a claim on the French throne :v: