Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Except, as stated in the past couple pages, this is an airborne virus, so breathing the same recycled air over the course of 2.5 to 3 hours drastically increases your chances of getting it, even if there are only a few people in the theater.

I made the bad call to see Tenet, it sucked, and using this as the bellwether despite terrible word-of-mouth and marketing is making the studios’ balls retract up to their neck.

However I made the good call to see it at AMC; I work for a company that has close ties with AMC and drat they are making it safe via (blah blah read about it if you care) and following good medical advice.*

*At least in the premium rooms I have no insight into the small ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Red Bones posted:

The vast majority of the costs for holding the Olympics go into constructing all the facilities, so they've already spent most of the money. It gets taught a lot in Geography programmes at universities as this classic case of a white elephant project, although when I studied it they didn't mention the corruption angle.

To be honest, what gets me about the whole thing is that it's perfectly possible to do the Olympics on the cheap if you just host it in multiple neighbouring cities instead of trying to host it in a single location. The cost comes from having to build facilities for all the different sports and to house all of the athletes, and it ends up being a waste of money because once the Olympics is over, the host city ends up with way more massive, expensive sporting facilities than the population actually needs, and they end up going underused and not making a profit. Even if they just split (for example) the Tokyo olympics between Tokyo and the Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe metropolitan area, they'd probably already have all the necessary facilities without having to waste money building anything new, or at least they'd have to build like, one venue. People attending the games rarely get tickets to see every event anyway, and only a tiny fraction of the people who watch the games watch it in person, so for most people it would make zero difference. And if the Olympics are 'in the spirit of national cooperation', you could even host them in two or three cities across multiple neighbouring countries.

But if you have the Olympics in multiple places, you don’t get every athlete living in one place and turning it into a giant nonstop fuckfest.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I said it before and I'll say it again: just make a permanent facility in Greece and host every Olympics there.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Olympics should be held on the moon

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Klowner posted:

"Unfortunately medals are not awarded post-humously so, while he did throw the javelin farther than the other athletes, he was disqualified after it went all the way around and impaled him in the back."

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Lobok posted:

"Unfortunately medals are not awarded post-humously so, while he did throw the javelin farther than the other athletes, he was disqualified after it went all the way around and impaled him in the back."

Yeah but imagine the high jump event.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
reminds me of the lonely island's space olympics song

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

But if you have the Olympics in multiple places, you don’t get every athlete living in one place and turning it into a giant nonstop fuckfest.

- Mr. Sinister.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

AceOfFlames posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again: just make a permanent facility in Greece and host every Olympics there.

You say this, but Greece is ironically one of the countries least financially able to handle running the Olympics. If I remember correctly, aren't there several US/Canadian cities that already had the sporting infrastructure for the games and thus didn't have to waste giant piles of money on soon to be rotting stadiums? Those places should just rotate the games.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Klowner posted:

According to Judge Dredd, this ends up with the Soviets hating Mega-City One and a war that kills millions of people and an alternate timeline earth.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

X-Ray Pecs posted:

According to Judge Dredd, this ends up with the Soviets hating Mega-City One and a war that kills millions of people and an alternate timeline earth.

Wasn't that just because Dredd's brother was sabotaging it?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

You say this, but Greece is ironically one of the countries least financially able to handle running the Olympics. If I remember correctly, aren't there several US/Canadian cities that already had the sporting infrastructure for the games and thus didn't have to waste giant piles of money on soon to be rotting stadiums? Those places should just rotate the games.

Greece was already in trouble and holding the 2004 Summer Olympics further devastated their economy.

The Olympics that have been held in the US (Summer '84 in Los Angeles, Summer '96 in Atlanta, Winter '02 in Salt Lake City) have all been profitable due to using as much existing infrastructure as possible, making sure new facilities will have a use after the games, and the sheer amount of advertising and sponsorships.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

It was a shame how he carried on.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/ryandroyd/status/1306101621433139201

Well he could preach the Bible like a preacher.

Well mostly the Song of Songs

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rasputin, famous for still being alive in 1918.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sometimes I wish time travel really did exist just so you could go back and show real historical figures how their memories have been so completely and utterly perverted in fiction. I'm sure Anastasia would have a blast hearing about her goofy 1980s romp before she and her entire family were gunned down by soldiers and buried in anonymous graves.

But also I'd probably go back and step on that first fish that climbed out of the ocean to just do everyone a favor.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Wasn't it the 1930s Rasputin movie that caused legal shenanigans, eventually resulting in most film credits ending with the "everything shown is fictional, any resemblance to real people, living or dead, is purely coincidental" boilerplate?

Hell of a historical legacy to have.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ynohtna posted:

Wasn't it the 1930s Rasputin movie that caused legal shenanigans, eventually resulting in most film credits ending with the "everything shown is fictional, any resemblance to real people, living or dead, is purely coincidental" boilerplate?

I believe it was actually the book version responsible. It named a killer and he definitely didn't want to be known for that so he sued.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
These days, a situation like that would be considered a premium personal brand awareness escalation opportunity.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

u brexit ukip it posted:

Rasputin, famous for still being alive in 1918.

Well he was notoriously difficult to kill.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

But also I'd probably go back and step on that first fish that climbed out of the ocean to just do everyone a favor.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

muscles like this! posted:

I believe it was actually the book version responsible. It named a killer and he definitely didn't want to be known for that so he sued.

The version of the story I always remember from trivia books is that they made a fake russian sounding name, that turned out to belong to a real person who sued them. Then the actual killer also sued them, because they actually did want to be known for the murder.

Looking it up the real murderer sued MGM due to a scene that implied that Rasputin raped his wife.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ynohtna posted:

I thought his legacy was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYnVYJDxu2Q

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm aching for a Daddy Cool biopic starring Denzel, personally.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pretty cool that most "walking fish" art I see now use Tiktaalik as the default.

Now we just need feathered raptors to be normalised.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Reptilian dinosaurs are much cooler looking and always will be.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Groovelord Neato posted:

Reptilian dinosaurs are much cooler looking and always will be.

This has always struck me as a very odd hill to die on. It's like personally objecting to continental drift because land bridges sound cooler.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I accept the scientific reality but they look stupid. There's also the problem of people trying to put feathers on everything now when there isn't scientific evidence for it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If anything it makes birds in the present day seem much more frightening and alien. It's like when you find out that some mushrooms grow out of miles wide underground networks, it recontextualizes a lot of stuff in a cool way.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Are there any good movies that depicts dinosaurs as birds?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Follow That Bird

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Femur posted:

Yeah any movie with birds in it :smugdon:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Who can forget Alfred Hitchcock’s masterpiece, The Dinosaurs

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This is the second time today I've thought about Big Bird's dick.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Morgan Freeman narrated Fast Times at Ridgemont High in a charity table read

so

https://twitter.com/BlockbusterPlus/status/1306963166593679366?s=20

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What's Blockbuster's business nowadays?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If anything it makes birds in the present day seem much more frightening and alien. It's like when you find out that some mushrooms grow out of miles wide underground networks, it recontextualizes a lot of stuff in a cool way.

Yes. Dinosaurs are birds. Raptor dinosaurs are closer to birds than most other dinosaurs; they might have even evolved from small gliding dinosaurs that literally became birds. Early birds are literally flying dinosaurs with teeth and claws but short tails. Ravens and crows are dinosaurs with intelligence comparable to chimps and dolphins. That's mind-blowing.

Also chickens and ducks are the earliest modern birds and they lived around those big dinosaurs. Pretty funny the first birds we domesticated for food are literally one of the first to exist.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 18, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

gently caress all the new dinosaur science, the only real T-Rex is cold blooded and built like Godzilla.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Femur posted:

This might be the problem. There isn't. Yet.

When Jurassic Park was released it changed the public conception of dinosaurs. The cinematic T-Rex used to stand with both feet and its tail on the floor in a tripod-esque fashion that would cause it to absolutely tower over treetops. Of course, palentology dictated that the Tyrannosaurus actually had it's head closer to the ground parallel with its tail for balance, effectively making it smaller. And who wants a smaller T-Rex right?

But then Spielberg and his team pulled it off, they made that smaller T-Rex awesome. It didn't tower over the trees anymore, true, but could burst out of them as a suprise and chase you because it was faster. They proved that the more accurate Rex could be just as cool, and going forward most cinematic dinosaurs followed that example.

But we've not had that cinematic moment for feathered Rexes yet. The Jurassic Park sequels certainly didn't take it on. But one day it will happen. Somebody just needs to take the leap and find a way to make them as cinematically impressive.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The feathered rexes are exactly what I was talking about when I said people are throwing feathers on ones we have no evidence were feathered (we have skin imprints).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

The feathered rexes are exactly what I was talking about when I said people are throwing feathers on ones we have no evidence were feathered (we have skin imprints).

Those skin imprints also look like featherless turkey skin, and they come from parts of the T.rex that also can be featherless on actual flightless birds. Plus, earlier tyrannosaurs had feathers. People are also just talking about tyrannosaurs being feathered, not other large theropods like Carnotaurus and Megalosaurus, because tyrannosaurs are from a family of dinosaurs (coelurosaurs) that are known to be feathered.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
i just want a scene where someone get savaged to death by a flock of sharp-toothed chickens, I don't think that's too big of an ask