Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Keltar posted:

In the comic you know what the difference between Butcher and the supes? Absolutely nothing. He really is a horrible human being doing what he does just for revenge.

I think this is ignoring a lot of the psychological manipulation he was put through by Mallory. He was greiving and she abused that.

There's a good video by ThereminTrees about how people join cults and start believing in crazy stuff, most of it is around time investment, emotional investment, and cognitive dissonance. How you can go to a regular person to believing that there are aliens that cause all of your illnesses living inside your body. It has real examples of this.

One thing that people look past is how the Supes that kill for fun (HL, SF), as opposed to being coerced (Mauve), are pretty much shown as that being their default state. When SF's mask is off she is shown murdering someone because she enjoys it.

When the boys are mask off, they are shown to be caring and compassionate. Frenchie's mask slipping in episode three with Kimicho is a good example. MM and his wife. Butcher has many counter-examples. Butcher used Hughie, but there are a lot of small moments throughout the series where he gives Hughie leeway, and shows a slightly protective aspect, even while he's paying lip service to wanting him gone. When I watch the moment where he drops Hughie off and goes "You're a good lad, Hughie", I get the vibe of a protective aspect and there's some slight regret there. Not for using him, but in a kind of "You didn't have to bugger up your life like that" in response to the cheque. He actually gives a (small) poo poo about Hughie.

I don't think Butcher is fundamentally a bad person like many of the Supes are protrayed as being. He has just not only undergone intense manipulation, but he's also at his lowest point. He's lost far too much and he's in too deep now, to give a poo poo about anything other than destroying HL, which he sees as some kind of cathartic resolution to his turmoil.

Or all of this could be bullshit, I honestly cannot tell :v:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I can only assume Edger or someone else has some kind of kill switch for Homelander in case he went off his nut and started just murdering everyone. Homelander knows that Voight is the one who pays his bills, covers his murders and makes him the icon that he so desires to be, but he's also very clearly putting a lot of effort into not just murdering everyone over his ego and his privileged.

Homelander can't be the first supe that started acting against Voight's best interests, so they've got to have some sort of insurance policy against him. And it's not as though they have no idea of what he's like - incidences like Homelander breaking Blindsight would have been reported up the chain for as long as Homelander has been around, surely.

Maybe Black Noir or some other super that they keep tucked away?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pikehead posted:

Homelander can't be the first supe that started acting against Voight's best interests, so they've got to have some sort of insurance policy against him. And it's not as though they have no idea of what he's like - incidences like Homelander breaking Blindsight would have been reported up the chain for as long as Homelander has been around, surely.

Homelander's power level is far above any other supe is the problem. If A-Train or Starlight needed to be taken out they have a whole corral of people to take them out, but nobody seems to be able to even touch Homelander.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pikehead posted:

Yea, because he was lab raised, its possible he was implanted with something early on before his powers fully came in. Maybe he's got a bomb inside his brain, or maybe has some kind of deep conditioning giving him some Robocop like inability to act against Voight executives at a certain level. Or maybe they know some way to dampen his powers, or that platinum will cut him.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I get the feeling that Vought didn't know how crazy strong Homelander was going to be. They expected a top tier super, I don't know if they expected basically a god

The gap between Homelander and everyone else is staggering. I'd say it's larger than the gap between Maeve and a top tier human.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

We havent really seen anything to directly compare power levels with Homelander other than how afraid of him everyone is.

The laser eyes do a lot of work. I mean physical strength becomes somewhat moot with someone who can literally kill you by looking at you.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

BurritoJustice posted:

I get the feeling that Vought didn't know how crazy strong Homelander was going to be. They expected a top tier super, I don't know if they expected basically a god

The gap between Homelander and everyone else is staggering. I'd say it's larger than the gap between Maeve and a top tier human.

What are Maeve’s powers anyway? Just strength and resilience?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

massive spider posted:

We havent really seen anything to directly compare power levels with Homelander other than how afraid of him everyone is.

The laser eyes do a lot of work. I mean physical strength becomes somewhat moot with someone who can literally kill you by looking at you.

They said they tried everything short of a nuke on homelander, and I'm guessing that's just because they didn't have a nuke. So I'd take it as him being effectively invulnerable to conventional munitions

Tarquinn posted:

What are Maeve’s powers anyway? Just strength and resilience?

She's painted as the second strongest. Homelander himself sees her as the only one truly on her level. She smiled through a magazine of 5.56mm to the chest, which is hard to directly compare to Starlight who took a .50BMG but she seems to be supremely resistant and strong. Her getting hit by the truck in episode one is a huge show of strength and durability just standing and not caring.

On another note, I'm reading people on Reddit still genuinely thinking that Becca had consensual sex with homelander and is lying about the whole thing. Pretty loving nauseating at this point, especially seeing how Shantel is doing a fantastic job of showing the real horror she feels around him

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BurritoJustice posted:

On another note, I'm reading people on Reddit still genuinely thinking that Becca had consensual sex with homelander and is lying about the whole thing. Pretty loving nauseating at this point, especially seeing how Shantel is doing a fantastic job of showing the real horror she feels around him

That could be written as an interesting story, but theres no evidence that its the story being portrayed here.

I'll go back to my previous hypothesis--people get a high from being right and are fishing for aspects to be contrary about. People get off on congratulating themselves for being TB nostradomus especially when there's no consequence for being wrong. Being outlandish only amplifies the reward--you were the only one who saw it coming because you made it up wholesale and the show went that direction.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Lab grown" = from a powerful family lineage with all the burden & expectation that it carries

"Flying" = so unfettered by the challenges facing the lower and middle class as to be unaware of them entirely. They're literally beneath him.

"Laser man" = (seemingly) unchecked power and influence

None of the viewers are a lab-grown flying laser man, but plenty of viewers will pick up on what he represents.

Consider how Superman, despite being an alien from a spaceship, is often considered representative of Christ, who was not an alien and did not come from a spaceship

Are you literally Richie Rich?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, because he was lab raised, its possible he was implanted with something early on before his powers fully came in. Maybe he's got a bomb inside his brain, or maybe has some kind of deep conditioning giving him some Robocop like inability to act against Voight executives at a certain level. Or maybe they know some way to dampen his powers, or that platinum will cut him.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Was she at the top of Voight yet? I think she had just been promoted as part of her recent work, but I can't remember if that was to the level of C-suite.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MD2020 posted:

Was she at the top of Voight yet? I think she had just been promoted as part of her recent work, but I can't remember if that was to the level of C-suite.

iirc she was next in line to be CEO or at least thought she would be after getting the military contract in s1.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Yeah she was the VP of the entire super hero department and saw her next promotion as being CEO.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

piL posted:

That could be written as an interesting story, but theres no evidence that its the story being portrayed here.

I'll go back to my previous hypothesis--people get a high from being right and are fishing for aspects to be contrary about. People get off on congratulating themselves for being TB nostradomus especially when there's no consequence for being wrong. Being outlandish only amplifies the reward--you were the only one who saw it coming because you made it up wholesale and the show went that direction.

I should clarify. People are taking this position and being nauseatingly terrible in their arguments.

An awful misogynist posted:

“Believing real survivors”? We don’t blindly believe such serious accusations. Facts and evidence is what you should believe. And “obvious”? They most certainly don’t make it obvious. Literally as soon as Butcher said it in season 1 you almost *felt* like that wasn’t going to be the case THAT is what seemed obvious. From the very beginning, they leave it quite vague. If Homelander really did rape her they would never leave it vague, not in a show like this. Homelander hasn’t been shown to be capable of rape, he has not shown to be as immoral as his comic book counterpart. Butcher wants to believe that she’s had it so bad these pat 8 years, but the look on her face tells a different story. She goes quiet every time when he apologizes or speaks of her too highly, she even tells him he puts her on such a high pedestal. And knowing how crazy Butcher is, isn’t it better to say Homelander raped her than tell him it was consensual? There’s just something off about Becca, one could already sense that it wasn’t really going to be “rape” like Butcher thought all the way back in season 1, but now it’s even more suspicious. We don’t know if Homelander raped Becca or not, it’s literally her word against his. This just shows how society sides with women more in these situations. Everyone straight up believes her for no reason. Now with all that taken into account, there is also the fact that Homelander has no reason to lie to Butcher, he doesn’t fear him, or care about his feelings etc.

If you read the full thread and also this dudes comments you'll find more discussion that is full of victim blaming, whataboutism, and people looking up to Homelander as an übermensch with a cause.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Beef Stew posted:

Yeah she was the VP of the entire super hero department and saw her next promotion as being CEO.
Unfortunately for her, only the CEO gets the laser reflecting glasses.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
There's some people in this thread who keep typing 'Voight' instead of 'Vought' and another guy who keeps typing 'Highlander' instead of 'Homelander' and it is killing me.

Anyway, the fact that people will trip over themselves to defend a psychopathic, mass-murdering fictional character from rape accusations really goes to show just how full of poo poo people are when they pretend that the legal system or court of public opinion is on the side of accusers.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Verus posted:

There's some people in this thread who keep typing 'Voight' instead of 'Vought' and another guy who keeps typing 'Highlander' instead of 'Homelander' and it is killing me.

Next you'll tell us that Storefront is not the correct spelling :colbert:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BurritoJustice posted:

I should clarify. People are taking this position and being nauseatingly terrible in their arguments.

If you read the full thread and also this dudes comments you'll find more discussion that is full of victim blaming, whataboutism, and people looking up to Homelander as an übermensch with a cause.

Oh ew. I was picturing something different.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

If anything, like in real world situations with a power imbalance, I don't think anyone really could fully consent to having sex with Homelander.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You hear about the 'Worf effect' where the strongest hero has to get their rear end kicked by the badguy to establish how powerful the adversary really is.

But here Homelander seems so far and away above everyone else that just goes out the window. The only reason the Boys have been a step ahead of Homelander is because of a few Hail Mary's that paid off and his own ego.

But conversely Homelander himself has never been challenged in his own power and I bet having a foe that is actually a close match would make a narcissist like him rather nervous.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look I’m not an MRA or anything but I do agree that if there was a big reveal that Becca actually volunteered to be part of the experiment or something I wouldn’t be totally blown away.

Homelander’s specific Milk/Lactation proclivities are so front and center that I genuinely having a hard time believing that he would be horny for her if she weren’t already pregnant. If anything this is, to me, the single greatest indicator that the Black Noir/Homie is real and it was actually BN that hurt Becca

I don’t have any strong conclusions one way or the other, and the framing of Becca leaving the room obviously paints her as being very ashamed (her gait and body language) but I’ve never settled on “ashamed for what happened to her” the way victims often feel or if it’s “shame for cheating”.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Verus posted:

It's standard auto-correction, especially if you've ever posted about Jon Voight.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

BurritoJustice posted:

Do not pick up trash from the street and bring it into the house, thank u. Nobody wants to read misogynistic reddit takes, this thread is wobbly enough as it is.

e: However, speaking of people who don't really know what's going on, here's a little snippet from the sun dot com, reporting on Karl Urban's character Homelander:

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 16, 2020

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Look I’m not an MRA or anything but I do agree that if there was a big reveal that Becca actually volunteered to be part of the experiment or something I wouldn’t be totally blown away.

Homelander’s specific Milk/Lactation proclivities are so front and center that I genuinely having a hard time believing that he would be horny for her if she weren’t already pregnant. If anything this is, to me, the single greatest indicator that the Black Noir/Homie is real and it was actually BN that hurt Becca

I don’t have any strong conclusions one way or the other, and the framing of Becca leaving the room obviously paints her as being very ashamed (her gait and body language) but I’ve never settled on “ashamed for what happened to her” the way victims often feel or if it’s “shame for cheating”.

Without getting into whether of not she even really could consent, she more or less confirmed it was rape in a S2 episode.

Homelander says something like "I'm his father" and Becca furiously replies "you don't get to say that after what you did."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Avasculous posted:

Without getting into whether of not she even really could consent, she more or less confirmed it was rape in a S2 episode.

This feels weird because the implication here is that non-supes cannot ever truly consent to sex or intimacy with supes, something Hughie/Starlight as well as Maeve’s relationship seem to effectively demonstrate... uh no you can totally consent, you’re both adults, even if one of you can bench press a humvee.

This feels too close to “women cannot consent to sex because men are all bigger and stronger than women anyway!” for me, if I’m misinterpreting your point I apologize.

Avasculous posted:

Homelander says something like "I'm his father" and Becca furiously replies "you don't get to say that after what you did."

This honestly feels intentionally vague to me, especially in, like, the same episode where Butcher tells her where the gang is hiding. My instincts tell me this might not be so cut & dry but maybe that’s because I don’t want crime dramas so sexual assault plot lines are new to me.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 16, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

Was that scene with Black Noir and the computer toucher girl a recreation of one her scenes with Homelander? I'm remembering that Homelander also made her throw away a snack and waited menacingly as she did a search for him, but I don't really feel like watching the last season just to confirm it.

Rewatching Season 1 so its similar but not really the same.... when Homelander is trying to find Translucent he pressures the same poor computer toucher character Anika. Stillwell bugs her first then comes Homelander. She tries to pawn it off and even mentioned talking to Stillwell but that is when HL says "I'm the Homelander and I can do whatever the gently caress I want." then places her hand on her mouse to get clickin. He does the creepy rear end fake smile and uses the Dennis style implication. Same girl, again, gets bullied by Stillwell so I am hoping at the end of this series she is able to quit and find a far more relaxing job disarming land mines or live hand grenade juggler. The lone IT contact that all the supes know seems like a terrible job for your long term health. Could you imagine Homelander responding well to being asked if he turned it off and on again? Now I want Richard Ayoade in a cameo for the next season of the Boys.

Other things I noticed/remembered after rewatching Season 1
I had forgotten how much of a worthless tosser A Train is. His coming from a poor background makes me empathize with him but I'd forgotten how easily he kills off Popclaw just to cover his own rear end. Did find it funny he only recognizes Hughie when his rear end is up against the wall and in trouble with HL.
Vogelbaum. Loved seeing Rawls again and I liked his scene with HL. Doubt we will see him again but one never knows.
Mesmer is just sad. The flashes Mes gets off Butcher as he gets punched was a nice effect. I had forgotten how brutal that scene was with Mes pleading for his life and offering to help find his wife. That final bit where Butcher holds his hands on the side of Memer's head? Mes reads Butcher again and doesn't offer to find his wife and just begs for mercy. Kinda foretells the real Butcher and I'm fairly sure that is where I got my main opinion of the guy. Still hard as I like Karl Urban and don't want to think he's awful and he's just one of the mates... but that's how Butcher gets ya. There MIGHT be a nugget of someone good hidden inside but part of me wonders if that is just his act. He might be just as bad as Homelander, just in a different way.
The Deep is such a cock. I'd back up lots of his environmental feelings but the core of the Deep is such a douche. The one lady that raped his gills was a little much.
Starlight is a delight and I fear for her being in this show.
Starr has killed it on this show from day one. Perfect casting and he needs to get all the job offers. He elevates this show and I was already a fan... blown away by him on the Boys.
Maeve is good though is given far more in Season 1. I can understand why since others need the larger profile but she is still good... just stepping back a bit for plot/new character.

Nuebot posted:

I like how a woman can go on a brief rant about how her husband has always been hosed up and even if something horrific hadn't happened to her was, more likely than not, just going to wind up "beating someone to death in a parking lot" and people are still just like "but how does she know he's violent!?!?" Like, maybe it's just me reading too much into it but you don't get as easy with manipulation as Butcher is, or as comfortable with the super violence unless you've been at it long enough to get used to that poo poo. See also: Hughie and basically every other character except Kimiko still being viscerally freaked the gently caress out whenever something horrible happens, even MM and Frenchie who've been through similar things with Butcher before. But Butcher is real, real cool about hearing that a woman's head exploded until he needs to feign sympathy to get someone on his side. And he's good at pretending to be a better person than he is just long enough to get them to second guess their own thought and give him another chance.

Rewatching Season 1, I am totally with the ex in not trusting Butcher. You mentioned good reasons but really the Mesmer moment sealed it for me abck in season 1. Just the look of horror when Mes realized Butcher didn't really care about finding his lost ex.... he wanted blood. Though in Season 2 that moment when I Heard the "one bad day away from doing something horrible" was a gut punch but... I can see it. Insanely choice casting as I really like Karl Urban and want to be his pal but he sets off my spidey sense proper. It was funny as not even a minute goes by and he verifies her fears. He would have ditched the kid as he's just a loving Supe. Really smart casting.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 16, 2020

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Look I’m not an MRA or anything but

:chloe:

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

This feels weird because the implication here is that non-supes cannot ever truly consent to sex or intimacy with supes, something Hughie/Starlight as well as Maeve’s relationship seem to effectively demonstrate... uh no you can totally consent, you’re both adults, even if one of you can bench press a humvee.

This feels too close to “women cannot consent to sex because men are all bigger and stronger than women anyway!” for me, if I’m misinterpreting your point I apologize.

men ~= women
starlight >>>> hughie
homelander >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone

Bust Rodd posted:

This honestly feels intentionally vague to me, especially in, like, the same episode where Butcher tells her where the gang is hiding. My instincts tell me this might not be so cut & dry but maybe that’s because I don’t want crime dramas so sexual assault plot lines are new to me.

don't do this man there are people who love you

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Becca says "when I found out I was pregnant I went to Vought, not you" should be the end of the conversation in regards to Butcher's disposition, but then again half of the people watching TV and movies seem media illiterate.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sliami posted:

men ~= women
starlight >>>> hughie
homelander >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone

What are you trying to say here?

Men and Women are equal? Yes 100% I agree, no contest.

Starlight is stronger than Huey by a lot and could kill him with a flick of her wrist, yes absolutely. does that mean they can’t be in love?

I understand that Homie is the strongest, but Maeve is also supposed to be really up there in terms of power and she’s just dating like a totally normal woman as well. I just don’t see the endgame of this point.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

men & women? fine........ anyone who says there's an untenable power differential is either a troll or a crank
starlight & hughie? she's powerful but she also has, like, ethics and an understanding of humanity
homie? a gene freak god--made in the USA with the moral compass to match. hosed as a person and nuclear as a being

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Namaer posted:

If anything, like in real world situations with a power imbalance, I don't think anyone really could fully consent to having sex with Homelander.

Except GoGoGadgetChris somehow.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sliami posted:

men & women? fine........ anyone who says there's an untenable power differential is either a troll or a crank
starlight & hughie? she's powerful but she also has, like, ethics and an understanding of humanity
homie? a gene freak god--made in the USA with the moral compass to match. hosed as a person and nuclear as a being

Ok I thought you were saying "People cannot consent to supes due to power imbalance" which is completely different from "Homelander isn't emotionally stable enough to have real relationships"

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Trip report: "Inside the Boys" isn't exactly what I was wanting, but it's still fun. I was wanting a lot of behind the scenes stuff like with Mandalorian,but it's less that and more just talking with the cast.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Thundercracker posted:

Actually that's a huge plothole. Like how is no one texting "Homelander left us to die" on that plane
they were over the ocean, so they'd be reliant on the plane's wifi to communicate, and Homelander lasered the comms equipment.

piL posted:

I honestly thought that was a card they were going to play after season 1 -- Butcher jumped to the assumption that she was raped, but Butcher turned out to be wrong about a lot of things -- but having Becca directly confirm it kind of nips that theory in the bud.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DogsInSpace! posted:

Same girl, again, gets bullied by Stillwell so I am hoping at the end of this series she is able to quit and find a far more relaxing job disarming land mines or live hand grenade juggler.

In a thread that can occasionally get kind of negative, I just wanted to take a moment to point out that this line made me smile.

Whole post was good, but this made me laugh.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I forgot to check on rewatch but is the guy that got his dick frozen off the same dude that is doing the marketing/starlight outfit?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

moist turtleneck posted:

I forgot to check on rewatch but is the guy that got his dick frozen off the same dude that is doing the marketing/starlight outfit?

Yeah it definitely is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah, I remembered him immediately cause he plays Lem in Better off Ted. And now my headcanon is that Veridian Dynamics is a subholding of Vought and nothing can change my mind.

E: I mean, they did try to weaponize pumpkins in S1E1.
E2: and now I'm sad again that BoT got cancelled :(

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 16, 2020