Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Did the patch help totem shaman to be competitive?

I haven't seen much of it but it sure threw Rogue under the bus, it's totally gone from the HS tier lists. HS is showing Totem Shaman as Tier 2, (Platinum level, past 3 days) so maybe I've been lucky/unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Did the patch help totem shaman to be competitive?

Yes, not by improving the deck, but by killing its main predators. Apparently there is a build that is succeeding that cuts Trick Totem for Shaman legendaires, but I don't think this is the type of news people that play Totem Shaman want to hear.

Unfortunately the deck has the same matchup spread as Face Hunter, (and Bomb Warrior and Secret Rogue to an extent) but worse.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The greatest trick that trick totem ever made is tricking people into playing it

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The first time I played Trick Totem it Frostbolted itself. A+++++

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I never know when the right time to play trick totem is. I mean, yeah I should coin it out on turn 1.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the correct answer is almost certainly "never" but considering the number of <4 mana damage spells is a lot more than the number of buffs you should probably be playing it when your opponent has several low-health minions out, so against some sort of aggro deck

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The greatest trick that trick totem ever made is tricking people into playing it

The first time I played it single-handedly won me the game with a massive string of high rolls, and I've been unable to let it go or recapture the magic since. It's like lottery tickets

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Anyone have some kind of good strat guide for battlegrounds? I feel like 2/3 of the time I pick a tribe, only to never, ever get minions to support because 3 other players already bought them all, and 1/3 of the time I actually get good draws (probably rat loving other players) and win effortlessly. I feel like I'm missing a core strat, but don't know what it is, and hover around 5k.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Battlegrounds just doesn't feel good. Like the average game is like 30-40 minutes (like 2 games in a 1.5 hour session) and that makes the variance unbearable. Sure hearthstone has a lot of varience, but in a 2 hour session I can crack out like 15 one on one games to get an ok w/l record. Battlegrounds with like the 7 other competitors just gives me really low lows frequently. I will say that winning is like heroin in that game, I get why people chase that dragon tribe, it's just not for me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It doesn’t help that the most recent patch made Battlegrounds lag horribly. Seems to be some sort of memory leak.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I feel like it's worse in the current patch, particularly with beasts and demons. "Does the rng love me and do my guys hit the ones that will buff their minions to death, or am I screwed?"
Or even when you pick a hero that plays to a particular tribe, "is everyone else going to buy out that tribe and totally screw me?"

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

perhaps the best board I've had since megasaur left. The Bagurgle is only there because I ran out of time to play my endless buffs

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, every once in a while I will see a Fungalmancer that goes, say, full dragons and takes first or second. It's hilarious. But proves you need to play what's given to you instead of what you chose to play on turn one.
Also the best strat is to be lucky, I think.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Silly Newbie posted:

I feel like it's worse in the current patch, particularly with beasts and demons. "Does the rng love me and do my guys hit the ones that will buff their minions to death, or am I screwed?"
Or even when you pick a hero that plays to a particular tribe, "is everyone else going to buy out that tribe and totally screw me?"

It sounds like you're committing to a tribe to early. Toe the line further between picking up stats to survive and picking up potential for your build before committing.

You also may be buying too many garbage minions/rolling too much instead of leveling up, which is especially painful in the current level-greed meta.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My rule of thumb, that has generally been working, is pick the highest stats every turn up through 8 gold, then when you tavern 4 on 9 gold start picking the synergies with whatever you drafted already.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I did start pushing tavern levels harder in my later games last night, and not committing to tribes too early, since most of the early game minions don't last well in the current meta, and had more success. Just have to keep myself focused on that, and not get distracted by shiny gold 1 star minions.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
well that SP content was pretty bad

won every match easily, whole thing done in less than an hour, even with all the unskippable dialogue that I don't give a poo poo about since I never played WoW

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Entirely bizarre that the new Jaina skin has unique VA in the adventure, but in MP the new skin has the same dialog as the original.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Yeah, nice extended tutorial. Yawn.

I mean, seriously - dungeon run without the fun of building your deck by picking overpowered cards and gimmicks every couple of rounds?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 15, 2020

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

New Single Player sucks. Kind of funny they stopped doing Dungeon Run style after they finally nailed it with Tombs of Terror

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's my fault, I didn't buy tombs of terror. I got tired of DR during Dalaran.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

It's my fault, I didn't buy tombs of terror. I got tired of DR during Dalaran.

they finally made it good!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Semper Fudge posted:

Entirely bizarre that the new Jaina skin has unique VA in the adventure, but in MP the new skin has the same dialog as the original.

I have to assume this is a bug because that's a huge dickmove for a skin that costs money.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Jaina being voiced by Laura Bailey threw me off for a second.

I was like ... Wait, what's Abby from The Last of us 2 doing here?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
*Theramore gets nuked*

The game: Yaaaaay!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I noticed a “retire run” button in the corner, but I never lost any of my matches, so I’m wondering: if you lose, do you have to start the run over from scratch?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Regalingualius posted:

I noticed a “retire run” button in the corner, but I never lost any of my matches, so I’m wondering: if you lose, do you have to start the run over from scratch?

Thankfully no

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Silly Newbie posted:

Anyone have some kind of good strat guide for battlegrounds? I feel like 2/3 of the time I pick a tribe, only to never, ever get minions to support because 3 other players already bought them all, and 1/3 of the time I actually get good draws (probably rat loving other players) and win effortlessly. I feel like I'm missing a core strat, but don't know what it is, and hover around 5k.

T1 (3 gold): Buy a thing.
T2 (4 gold): Upgrade.
T3 (5 gold): Buy a thing. If your T1 thing was a token maker, sell the token and buy two things (or if you can get some synergy)
T4 (6 gold): Buy two things
T5 (7 gold): Buy a thing, upgrade to Tier 3.
T6 (8 gold): Buy two things. If you come out stronger for it, sell something and buy a third thing.
T7 (9 gold): Buy a thing and upgrade to tier 4.

I generally follow this sequence for the first several turns by default. Good balance between getting stuff onto the board and leveling up. You just want the biggest/best bodies in play more than focusing on a tribe early on, so unless you're being showered in a tribe, usually just take the biggest thing, or something that turns on a simple combo. Depending on what tribes are in play, you'll only start thinking about which way to commit around tavern tier 3-4.

Modify as needed depending on hero power and stuff, of course. Also: Menagerie is pretty solid now, even without Lightfang Enforcer, and is often a better plan-B than trying to switch tribes entirely.

Also, if you weren't aware: Tap+hold on an opponent's avatar in the opponent list to see the count for their most common minion type. It's not terribly useful info before about turn 4-5, but you'll be able to see if someone is hard committing to something early.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

This was by far the lamest, low effort single player content they've ever put out. And all that for 4 commons and a rare of poo poo I already have, super awesome.

I would have been happier with some event that just gave me 100 gold.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Funny that the best deck/hardest deck to play, the Cyclone Mage deck, was in the middle of the solo adventure.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Yeah wow that adventure sure was ‘just use your hero power stupid‘ x7

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

mynnna posted:

T1 (3 gold): Buy a thing.
T2 (4 gold): Upgrade.
T3 (5 gold): Buy a thing. If your T1 thing was a token maker, sell the token and buy two things (or if you can get some synergy)
T4 (6 gold): Buy two things
T5 (7 gold): Buy a thing, upgrade to Tier 3.
T6 (8 gold): Buy two things. If you come out stronger for it, sell something and buy a third thing.
T7 (9 gold): Buy a thing and upgrade to tier 4.

I generally follow this sequence for the first several turns by default. Good balance between getting stuff onto the board and leveling up. You just want the biggest/best bodies in play more than focusing on a tribe early on, so unless you're being showered in a tribe, usually just take the biggest thing, or something that turns on a simple combo. Depending on what tribes are in play, you'll only start thinking about which way to commit around tavern tier 3-4.

Modify as needed depending on hero power and stuff, of course. Also: Menagerie is pretty solid now, even without Lightfang Enforcer, and is often a better plan-B than trying to switch tribes entirely.

Also, if you weren't aware: Tap+hold on an opponent's avatar in the opponent list to see the count for their most common minion type. It's not terribly useful info before about turn 4-5, but you'll be able to see if someone is hard committing to something early.

I play pc, so I can mouse over for opponent tribes, but good tip.
Your post is incredibly helpful and I can't thank you enough, I'm bad at coming up with an early game strat to stick to because I get distracted by shiny things, so having an early game guideline to go by is clutch for me. Thanks again.
That being said I just got Jandice for my only game of the night and I can't believe they haven't patched her yet. It's like playing single player hunting for pogos and shoring up secondary tribes, as it didn't matter what my opponents were doing at all Last dude had a poisoner, so I just grabbed three lovely taunters to bolster my 100+ pogos and floated on through. She's just degenerate.

Edit - got her again next game, didn't pull anything worth a poo poo until t4, couldn't get rolling and lost badly. In conclusion, battlegrounds is a land of contrasts.

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 16, 2020

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

mcbexx posted:

Jaina being voiced by Laura Bailey threw me off for a second.

I was like ... Wait, what's Abby from The Last of us 2 doing here?

Also every female video game character from the last 18 years.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Legendary craft, I've looked through and these seem to be the top of the crop from what I'm missing. Suggestions? Mostly standard but an eye towards Wild I guess. No real class preference but I enjoy bullshit RNG rogue/mage a lot so Shadowjeweler/Jandice are appealing. Although I still also don't have the rogue quest?

Astromancer Solarian
Reliquary of Souls
Soul Mirror
Shadowjeweler Hanar
Lorekeeper Pokelt
Jandice Barov

Bazaar Burglary?

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Pyrolocutus posted:

Legendary craft, I've looked through and these seem to be the top of the crop from what I'm missing. Suggestions? Mostly standard but an eye towards Wild I guess. No real class preference but I enjoy bullshit RNG rogue/mage a lot so Shadowjeweler/Jandice are appealing. Although I still also don't have the rogue quest?

Astromancer Solarian
Reliquary of Souls
Soul Mirror
Shadowjeweler Hanar
Lorekeeper Pokelt
Jandice Barov

Bazaar Burglary?

Save your dust until you need a specific legendary for a deck? It's not like legendaries are on sale and you have to buy one now.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'd probably say Lorekeeper Pokelt. Unless it's changed (in which case you'll get your dust back), it's going to be one of the best tutors in the game forever now.

For example in Wild it's being used for Highland Priest to find Shadowreaper -> Reno -> Raza.

Mischief Maker is an actual tech card now :v:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 16, 2020

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lorekeeper out of that whole list. You can just slot it into any deck. gently caress I put him in my face hunter just to turn on the Kill Command timer.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Polkelt’s basically going to be an eternal “must-have” in Wild now. Hell, even Secret Mage is supposedly using him so that they can hit Aluneth and their big burn spells that much faster.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
My son opened me a golden Lorekeeper Polkelt. He and I were pretty happy about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

My son opened me a golden Lorekeeper Polkelt. He and I were pretty happy about that.

Put it in your will: son gets Blizzard account for his great contributions to its value.