Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cicero posted:

Ugh won't let me order if it's set to Germany. It does work for France, this is an outrage!!

Facebook withdrew the Quest from sale in Germany a month or so ago because of pending lawsuits resulting from their switch from Oculus to Facebook accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Leathal posted:

the new controllers have fewer IR tracking dots

This is not true

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
At least Medal Of Honor is not an exclusive anymore and till be launching in Steam too

https://www.oculus.com/blog/games-at-facebook-connect-cinematic-stories-music-and-multiplayer-fan-favorites-and-more/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thoatse posted:

At least Medal Of Honor is not an exclusive anymore and till be launching in Steam too

https://www.oculus.com/blog/games-at-facebook-connect-cinematic-stories-music-and-multiplayer-fan-favorites-and-more/

Myst VR!! :aaa:

PISTOL WHIP 2089?!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

NRVNQSR posted:

Facebook withdrew the Quest from sale in Germany a month or so ago because of pending lawsuits resulting from their switch from Oculus to Facebook accounts.
Huh, maybe I'll order it when it shows up on amazon.fr or something then.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thoatse posted:

Click here to learn more. Launching December 11 on the Rift Platform and—no, really—on Steam.
LOL they also cannot believe it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yup, they just said that Quest 2 + Link will be the definitive PCVR experience, the Rift is loving dead. They also said that it's cheaper.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No announcement for Lone Echo 2 or Lone Echo for Quest. WHAT IS THIS!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This looks very nice for a Quest, it's being developed around Quest2?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ra5gfr4Gs

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

No announcement for Lone Echo 2 or Lone Echo for Quest. WHAT IS THIS!

Lone Echo 2 was mentioned in the PCVR portion of the presentation, so it's coming.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kikas posted:

Lone Echo 2 was mentioned in the PCVR portion of the presentation, so it's coming.

I guess I missed it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay this "always on AR glasses" bit does seem a bit dystopian

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Myst VR!! :aaa:

Huh, that's surprising. Wonder if it's a conversion of RealMyst Masterpiece Edition or an entirely new version?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

nah thanks posted:

It's staggering that Facebook has the field more or less to themselves. Apple is definitely working on something, based on the impressive AR capabilities they're building into iOS, but it's baffling that no other major company is taking VR/AR seriously when it's so obviously the next step for computing.

Yeah obviously the next step for what? 30 years now? It very well might finally be but I understand companies not jumping on this.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 16, 2020

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Abrash always has the best stuff. Lobster boy driving a 5 fingered model through the ctrl labs interface is pretty cool.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So... confirmed:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-quest-2-the-next-generation-of-all-in-one-vr-gaming/

quote:

With a higher resolution panel and the ability to reach a higher refresh rate than Rift S, all in a lighter form factor and at a lower cost, Quest 2 brings a leveled-up PC VR gaming experience to enthusiasts. We’ve worked hard to improve Oculus Link’s performance, stability, and third-party cable compatibility since its launch in November 2019. After months of testing and community feedback, Oculus Link will exit beta this fall with improved fidelity and support for 90 Hz coming soon. And next year, we’ll debut a unified system experience that taps directly into the Quest user interface, so you’ll find your PC games and Quest games all in the same spot.

We’re going to focus on standalone VR headsets moving forward. We’ll no longer pursue PC-only hardware, with sales of Rift S ending in 2021. That said, the Rift Platform isn’t going anywhere. In fact, we've seen significant growth in PC VR via Oculus Link, and the Rift Platform will continue to grow while offering high-end PC VR experiences like Lone Echo II and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond well into the future.

Sales of the original Quest will also end as we bring Quest 2 to retailers worldwide. But that doesn’t mean we’ll stop supporting the original Quest. We’ll continue improving Quest by listening to the people who made its success possible—players from the VR community. We’ll be delivering more new features and gaming experiences moving forward, so stay tuned!

Our goal with the original Quest was to bring standalone VR to as many people as possible. We’re doubling down on that goal with Quest 2. It combines the performance gamers want with the flexibility people need, all at a price significantly lower than similarly featured headsets on the market. Quest 2 is more than just the next step in all-in-one VR. It represents years of feedback from developers, gaming enthusiasts, and the broader VR community, and we couldn’t be more grateful for this ongoing support.

/salutes Rift S owners

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There is a Steam page up for Myst and screen shots look loving good. It's all new, not a conversion of the last remake.

Also not Quest/Oculus exclusive. Nice.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Veotax posted:

There is a Steam page up for Myst and screen shots look loving good. It's all new, not a conversion of the last remake.

I'm hyped! ok, I will be honest: I have never played Myst. I liked a lot some puzzle games, I bounced off from others. I wonder if I will like it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Veotax posted:

Huh, that's surprising. Wonder if it's a conversion of RealMyst Masterpiece Edition or an entirely new version?

Gotta hope for entirely new version, not a huge fan of RealMyst.

I wonder how they'll handle the video and locomotion. I'm a big fan of the pre-rendered Myst look, and I don't much care for Myst 5 or RealMyst which were full3D.

Myst 3 and 4 had panoramic views where you could smoothly look around but had to click to move from point to point... but I guess that still wouldn't work super great? It'd be like those VR movies that are just recorded from a ball camera but you can't move your head around...

So it'll probably be fully 3D? I hope the assets look good. The aesthetic is really important to Myst.

The other thing about Myst 1 is I find it to be only game in the series that's kinda scary; a couple of the ages are gonna be downright spooky in VR.

Veotax posted:

Oooh that does look pretty nice. Its not quite the same as the pre-rendered look but they kept the style much closer than RealMyst.

RealMyst was probably made on a shoestring budget though.

The lighting is really different. Channelwood looks wild, but I dig it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 16, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Between the 64GB and the 256GB... I think I will sacrifice the storage and will limit myself to only have a few games installed, in exchange of buying the elite strap with the battery integrated.
edit: I think the best thing will be to not buy the elite strap for now, as maybe in two months there will be a copycat version that is $50 less and does the same.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 16, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm hyped! ok, I will be honest: I have never played Myst. I liked a lot some puzzle games, I bounced off from others. I wonder if I will like it

When I was a young lad, I had a Myst journal for solving the puzzles. I remember looking through it and making a Eureka moment in the middle of class and nearly jumping out of my chair in excitement.

I'm fairly excited to see what they do, but if it's just a simple re-skin with teleport visuals then I'll probably skip it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Goddamn that is a compelling price.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Between the 64GB and the 256GB... I think I will sacrifice the storage and will limit myself to only have a few games installed, in exchange of buying the elite strap with the battery integrated.

Yeah I don't think the extra space is worth the 33% higher price

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Most PC VR games are pretty small, 2-10GB. I can't imagine quest games are much bigger. (note: don't have a quest so I don't know)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Most PC VR games are pretty small, 2-10GB. I can't imagine quest games are much bigger. (note: don't have a quest so I don't know)

They are not, I have around 10 installed and still have over 40GB left on my small Quest 1.
Although I think that they will get bigger as time goes on. Stuff like Alyx is 50GBs and once we get more proper games instead of "experiences" this is gonna be a thing to watch out for.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Oculus still isnt sold out :thunk:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kikas posted:

They are not, I have around 10 installed and still have over 40GB left on my small Quest 1.
Although I think that they will get bigger as time goes on. Stuff like Alyx is 50GBs and once we get more proper games instead of "experiences" this is gonna be a thing to watch out for.

The quest is still just basically a self contained mobile phone, screen, lens, strap, and motion tracking system. The CPU/GPU in it can't actually drive the high resolution screens to their full potential anyway, so I can't imagine huge Alyx-like games (and the gigantic assets they contain) on there. And tethered with link the games would be stored on the PC anyway. I think if you're getting one, the 64 is the much better choice.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 16, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GutBomb posted:

I think the maximum for now has been 3.5gb on the Quest. Also, take in account isn't real 64gb for apps, OS will take a bite, and I imagine Quest 2 games will start bordering on 5gb.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I hope the Myst VR game is good, honestly. I really enjoyed Obduction, but when I tried to play through it a second time in VR, it didn't work at all with the Oculus.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

I always loved Myst, it was grouped in with a lot of the myst style adventure games of the time, but it really stood out. A lot of those games are knocked now as just having like, sliding block puzzles and poo poo that makes no sense but it there, but really the original Myst everything was very solvable just by exploring and taking notes. There really wasn't TOO much bullshit puzzles in it (though there were a couple...).

Is it weird i'm more excited to play myst in vr than any of the other game announcements? lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Maybe if this gets enough hype someone in the Google canteen will turn to the person next to them and say hey didn't we do something with vr and the earth ages ago? we should look at it again

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Maybe if this gets enough hype someone in the Google canteen will turn to the person next to them and say hey didn't we do something with vr and the earth ages ago? we should look at it again

This is more or less what I'm hoping happens

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ars review: avoid

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/review-we-do-not-recommend-the-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Verge review: buy (if you're ok with FB)
https://www.theverge.com/21437674/oculus-quest-2-review-features-photos

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I wasn't particularly interested in a jurassic park game, but watching the trailer it actually looks interesting. Like a survival horror, alien isolation type experience, which is a good take for a jurassic park game that... i don't think has been done before? I dunno, but seems way more interesting than driving around shooting dinosaurs or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vYKq4o17k

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

$299, but requires a $60 "three point" strap upgrade if you want to use it for more than 20 minutes seated, or 5 minutes doing anything roomscale. My Quest 1 with the three point strap just barely stayed on my regular head, I can't imagine the new "two point" ski goggle strap will be worth a drat

I really want to get this, but I'm kind of done feeding Facebook any more personal data than I already do, and I think their engineers are smart enough to figure out that two Facebook users from the same IP 99% of the time are probably at least related

That said, I'm super excited about the future of VR, I'm definitely curious what happens with the Reverb G2, and if a lot of these titles aren't oculus exclusive, I'll probably be building myself my first new pc gaming rig in about 7 years. The Index 2 or whatever should be pretty great, if the $299 Quest 2 is any indication

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I would take this review with a grain of salt, it includes some inaccurate information:

quote:

"Facebook reps mentioned that the controllers were redesigned with an emphasis on increased battery life and comfort, which I found curious. The original Oculus Quest controllers didn't last very long, but they only required one AA battery and were far more efficient than, say, the HTC Vive Cosmos controllers. What got the battery drain down further? This is when Facebook reps admitted that Quest 2's controllers have fewer infrared sensor points.

I went back to compare tricky "expert" Beat Saber levels on both Quest 1 and Quest 2, and sure enough, the older controller is noticeably more accurate. It's hard to perfectly measure VR controller detection without access to verbose data logs (which I've used to diagnose issues with SteamVR in the past). But I can safely say that after an hour going back and forth between Quest 1 and 2, the number of lost swipes on the newer hardware was higher. So this downgrade in sensor points checks out."

You can see in this Tested video that the number of IR lights is the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x6lux6f_6g&t=988s

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Hadlock posted:

$299, but requires a $60 "three point" strap upgrade if you want to use it for more than 20 minutes seated, or 5 minutes doing anything roomscale. My Quest 1 with the three point strap just barely stayed on my regular head, I can't imagine the new "two point" ski goggle strap will be worth a drat

I bought one for Jr and will be upgrading it as needed to make it worth using, here's hoping I don't need a 60 bux strap upgrade for it thoughl..

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you want to sideload apps, you need a developer account with a working phone number or a credit card? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

" The new headset is not backwards compatible with the Quest and Rift S’ Touch controllers. That is incredibly disappointing for all the third-party companies that make accessories for Quest and those who already bought accessories but want the Quest 2. Not carrying over support for the old controllers is a massive oversight and missed opportunity for more choice for the customer."

It's a good point.