Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Sony just wrapped their PS5 steam. They matched Xbox at $499 at the high end and went $399 for their digital model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

DrDork posted:

Basically every AMD card for the last 5+ years has been overclocked to hell. I wouldn't expect anything less from Big Navi, especially if juicing the gently caress out of it gets those benchmarks closer to a 3080. Ampere has already given them the excuse, since dropping a 350W card won't look crazy now like it would have last year.

Almost every AMD card. The stock 5700 is tuned perfectly, too bad about those persistent blackscreen/framedrop issues with Navi1 :smith:

Check out Igor's review. The power consumption seems to be 'real', in the sense that it's not caused by overinflated voltages.
A bit over 900mV is ok for 7nm, nothing game changing but Samsung8 doesn't look broken or anything.
Igor also remarked that lowering the power target can lead to noticeable frametime issues, maybe that's why the 3080 is where it is.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 16, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Gotta wonder if they're messing something up with their test setup, then, or if that's actually a 99th %ile number.

Tom's Hardware has average frames at 59 with DLSS upscaling from 1440p and at 86 with DLSS at 1080p, for example. So techpowerup coming in 10+% slower than everyone else so far is suspicious.

e; Also lol if you think that the difference between 53 FPS and 60 with *sync enabled is somehow big enough to argue that it "can't do 4k" or something. Give it a rest, bro, it'll do just fine for people actually playing the game instead of just running benchmarks all day.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 16, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Theophany posted:

I don't have a 2080Ti because $1500 is a bit rich for my blood. Steam hardware surveys would suggest I'm not in the minority.

That makes the narrow relative comparisons difficult to properly interpret and unhelpful when it comes to a buying decision. I'd wager the vast majority are coming from 7, 9 and 10 series cards, not 20 series.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

control doesn't have a canned benchmark so it might just be down to difference in methodology

again though, rt high in control is silly and the 3080 will probably do upwards of 80fps at 4k with it on medium

a 2080ti already does 55-60 fps with rt medium and dlss

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

so 50% faster than the 2080, what was up with the 2x 2080 that everyone was repeating

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

repiv posted:

control doesn't have a canned benchmark so it might just be down to difference in methodology

again though, rt high in control is silly and the 3080 will probably do upwards of 80fps at 4k with it on medium

a 2080ti already does 55-60 fps with rt medium and dlss

Is High the setting used to get the half transparency on the glass?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

All the reviews focusing on comparing it to 2080 Ti are flawed. Yes it should be faster and it is by 25%, but the proper comparison is the 2080. Just because reviewers got them for free doesn’t change the fact that almost nobody bought a $1200 video card.

edit: apparently Steam survey says 2080 is 0.96% and 2080Ti is 0.91% so they basically had the same sales? :psyduck:

I'd almost add the 2070 Super and 2080 Super to those totals since they are basically the same as the 2080 +/- ~5%.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MikeC posted:

Is High the setting used to get the half transparency on the glass?

no, medium enables both opaque reflections and transparent reflections on glass

high adds contact shadows, diffuse lighting and makes debris show up in RT effects

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

so 50% faster than the 2080, what was up with the 2x 2080 that everyone was repeating

Twice as fast in RTX calculations is what NVidia said. And from the looks of it, they've about doubled the performance in RTX in most games, so they're not really blowing smoke there.

Just, again, a lot of people didn't bother listening to the end of the sentence and just heard "double the performance" and thought that it would apply to everything, everywhere.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol the 3090 reviews are going to be something if there’s only a 20% uplift

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

lol the 3090 reviews are going to be something if there’s only a 20% uplift

3090 Review: Are you a Saudi Prince? Then sure, gently caress it. Whatever. Not a Saudi Prince? Please go buy a 3080. Not even NVidia wants you to buy this card.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DrDork posted:

Twice as fast in RTX calculations is what NVidia said. And from the looks of it, they've about doubled the performance in RTX in most games, so they're not really blowing smoke there.

Just, again, a lot of people didn't bother listening to the end of the sentence and just heard "double the performance" and thought that it would apply to everything, everywhere.

It's almost like the same points keep getting repeated, and keep failing to sink in. :thunk:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

sean10mm posted:

It's almost like the same points keep getting repeated, and keep failing to sink in. :thunk:

nah, the 30 series is just pissbin silicon and no one should buy it

:f5::retrogames:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Geforce 256?

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKK

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im gonna buy a 3070 and then keep playing nothing but apex on low settings :blastu:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kinda puts DrDork’s “heh not everything needs DLSS” in a pretty poor light if RT isn’t there yet

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

sauer kraut posted:

Almost every AMD card. The stock 5700 is tuned perfectly, too bad about those persistent blackscreen/framedrop issues with Navi1 :smith:

pretty sure the black screen thing has been fixed for months now.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

shrike82 posted:

Kinda puts DrDork’s “heh not everything needs DLSS” in a pretty poor light if RT isn’t there yet

You're being kinda weird, man

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

chaleski posted:

You're being kinda weird, man

He's very committed to his gimmick.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Taima posted:

That's a totally valid point and they really should give basic explanations (or maybe even more saliently, stop offering stupid rear end settings that do nothing at huge cost).

I usually just start playing the game, and every 5 minutes or so I'll tweak a setting or two, see how it runs and if it effects the graphics much, repeat for about 20-30 mins just playing the game as normal, and by the end of that time it's usually pretty clear what the worst offenders are.

There's also almost always threads about performance for any new demanding game within hours of that games release that go over the no-brainer things to change.

But yeah it's annoying, agreed. Still, I feel a small break-in process on a new game is worth it in exchange for often 20-40% better performance.

geforce experience is actually pretty good for this, they have screenshots with highlights of what every setting does. that plus the automatic settings, even if you don't actually use them, should give you a good idea of what is and isn't worth turning up or down

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Gamer's Nexus teardown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX9Eh_NaC5c

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Edit:beaten

Tear down is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX9Eh_NaC5c

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

geforce experience is actually pretty good for this, they have screenshots with highlights of what every setting does. that plus the automatic settings, even if you don't actually use them, should give you a good idea of what is and isn't worth turning up or down

The downside is the automatic settings can be intensely stupid for some games, you really can't trust them.

I have a PC that could just about run HZD at 1080p60 medium + TAA, and geforce experience wanted me to run it at 60% resolution or some dumb poo poo.

Sometimes the Geforce website puts up very detailed written breakdowns of settings vs. fps vs. visuals though. At least they used to.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

lmao he just smacked it with a spatula

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol the PS5 is apparently up for preorder today too so it’s going to be a general clusterfuck

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

shrike82 posted:

lol the PS5 is apparently up for preorder today too so it’s going to be a general clusterfuck

They go live tomorrow, so pray the retail sites hold up.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Is it worth upgrading to a 3080/3090 if I already have a 2080ti (EVGA FTW)? I sit in front of a 65in TV and play with the PC hooked up. Can easily get 1440p/max everywhere, and 4K/max on most games if i put DLSS on. I don’t really need over 60fps.

With news that PS5 is going to be nothing but multiplats (even supposed exclusives look like they’ll be launched on PS4 or PC), my guess is that next gen doesn’t really start until 2022 or so, and moving up would be overkill at this time.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

DeS, Horizon 2 and Spider-Man Morales all being PS4 games means that console games aren’t going to push PC hardware for another couple years

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Sony posted:

PS5 pre-orders will be available starting as early as tomorrow at select retailers.

So interesting to see if anyone breaks early, but for the most part it should be tomorrow, not today, unless you're in NZ or such.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

DeS, Horizon 2 and Spider-Man Morales all being PS4 games means that console games aren’t going to push PC hardware for another couple years

DeS is also coming to PC :woop:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
going off of past trends, is it more likely that the 3070 release is going to be more accessible or are we more likely to just see an entire generation of cards be unavailable until 2021

it strikes me as bad business to release a 3080 that nobody can get their hands on and then release the 3070 that people can because it might just convince people to buy those but what do i know

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

I mean, I do not really feel that I need DLSS to run Stardew Valley, Fall Guys, etc., no.

But for games with RTX enabled? Yeah, DLSS turns a lot of those from "iffy" experiences into very good ones--why wouldn't you use it if you have it available? I really don't know what you're trying to argue here.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

DrDork posted:

So interesting to see if anyone breaks early, but for the most part it should be tomorrow, not today, unless you're in NZ or such.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1306339499543130112?s=20

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Verviticus posted:

going off of past trends, is it more likely that the 3070 release is going to be more accessible or are we more likely to just see an entire generation of cards be unavailable until 2021

More accessible, but also constrained initially at launch. Just probably not as badly as with the 3080/3090. I'd expect by Thanksgiving timeframe you'll be able to get them without too much trouble unless another buttcoin craze starts or something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrDork posted:

I mean, I do not really feel that I need DLSS to run Stardew Valley, Fall Guys, etc., no.

But for games with RTX enabled? Yeah, DLSS turns a lot of those from "iffy" experiences into very good ones--why wouldn't you use it if you have it available? I really don't know what you're trying to argue here.

Even without RTX! DLSS on Death Stranding was great- yeah, it wasn’t a huge improvement graphically, but any improvement that also comes with free performance is pretty killer.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Verviticus posted:

the 3070 uses a relatively small chip, and commodity gddr6 memory rather than the brand new gddr6x, so it should be easier for nvidia to churn them out en masse

assuming sony and microsoft didn't buy all the worlds gddr6 supply for their new consoles

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol there’s speculation that GoW2 announced for 2021 is going to be another PS4 crossgen game

Sony is making a good argument for PC gaming - especially with a 3060

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

bloodysabbath posted:

Is it worth upgrading to a 3080/3090 if I already have a 2080ti (EVGA FTW)? I sit in front of a 65in TV and play with the PC hooked up. Can easily get 1440p/max everywhere, and 4K/max on most games if i put DLSS on. I don’t really need over 60fps.

With news that PS5 is going to be nothing but multiplats (even supposed exclusives look like they’ll be launched on PS4 or PC), my guess is that next gen doesn’t really start until 2022 or so, and moving up would be overkill at this time.

Spend that money to get an LG OLED so you can get incredible image quality and HDMI 2.1 VRR on your 2080 Ti.

Then that opens you up to getting a 30xx whenever you decide to care about 4K/120.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

repiv posted:

assuming sony and microsoft didn't buy all the worlds gddr6 supply for their new consoles

Sony letting slip that they're cutting initial production estimates by 1/3 due to "production issues" will be interesting to dig into--are they having trouble sourcing the SoC, in which case AMD may be up the fuckin' river in terms of being able to deliver stock of Big Navi, or is it the GDDR6 side, and both NVidia and AMD are gonna be crunched for a while?