Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Filch is actually really sweet to the nice hufflepuff kids. All the torture talk is just to gently caress with little shits like Harry and Draco.

I must have missed where that was stated because that sounds hilarious. Now that I think about it, Filch's detentions were pretty reasonable. He only makes the kids clean up parts of the castle without magic to make them learn the importance of cleaning up after their messes. It's way better than the other teachers' idea of detention like sending them to the Forbidden Forest or answering fanmail or carving up your own hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I must have missed where that was stated because that sounds hilarious. Now that I think about it, Filch's detentions were pretty reasonable. He only makes the kids clean up parts of the castle without magic to make them learn the importance of cleaning up after their messes. It's way better than the other teachers' idea of detention like sending them to the Forbidden Forest or answering fanmail or carving up your own hand.

Snape's detentions are usually referred to as 'scrubbing cauldrons', so he's sane in that regard, even if he's a poo poo teacher otherwise.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I find the concept of anyone being nice to the Hufflepuffs as most preposterous.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

reignofevil posted:

I find the concept of anyone being nice to the Hufflepuffs as most preposterous.

They have the best weed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's canonical that they're pals with the house-elves and get whatever they want from the kitchens, isn't it? Probably extends beyond just food. I bet the puffs just live in the lap of luxury with whatever they want provided and deal out scraps to the other houses in exchange for not getting beaten up.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Hedrigall posted:

New canon: There’s actually like 200 million wizards in the world, most of whom live in regular communities and hold down regular jobs and enjoy modern technology and society, but they use magic to gain every advantage and get ahead in life and their lives are pretty chill and comfortable

Harry just was unlucky enough to get inducted into some bizarre LARPing subcommunity of wizards that has its own rules and customs and a bunch of their leaders are masquerading as a pseudo government who hide the existence of the normal wizarding world from the movement’s followers. Harry has no idea he’s caught up in a weird backwards cult that 95% of the world’s wizards look at uneasily but don’t quite know what they should do about

In the very first scene in the first book, when Vernon is getting off work, doesn't he run in to multiple wizards talking openly about Voldemort being defeated? The odds of that seems incredibly unlikely if there's 10k wizards total in all of the U.K.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MikeJF posted:

It's canonical that they're pals with the house-elves and get whatever they want from the kitchens, isn't it? Probably extends beyond just food. I bet the puffs just live in the lap of luxury with whatever they want provided and deal out scraps to the other houses in exchange for not getting beaten up.

Yeah, people poo poo all over their house super-power of "friendship" as opposed to "courage" and "knowledge" and "racism ambition" because people project themselves onto the houses but in real life being affable and well liked will get you extremely far.

Like Filch, for example, where they're the only house capable of figuring out that people are nice to you when you're nice to them. A devious riddle even Ravenclaw couldn't crack.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I think it's pretty fair to argue that the world would be a much better place if it valued being brave and ambitious a bit less over the idea that it's quite good to be nice to people. honestly i'm not sure smarts even rank above that, what's the point of being a brain genius if you care not for the suffering of your fellow man. maybe thinking that just makes me a hufflepuff. i don't know, i refuse to take one of those loving quizzes

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like to think Hufflepuff came in last for the House Cup every year because they collective know it's an empty scam that's not worth putting effort towards, particularly when Dumbledore constantly puts his thumb on the scale for Gryffindor.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

I like to think Hufflepuff came in last for the House Cup every year because they collective know it's an empty scam that's not worth putting effort towards, particularly when Dumbledore constantly puts his thumb on the scale for Gryffindor.

it's a lot nicer to let someone else win, give them the satisfaction

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus they're probably the only ones with a decent support network for the yearly dose of Hogwarts PTSD.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I always get slytherin in quizzes and I'm still salty she decided "no they're literally all racists."

As a kid I always wished she'd follow through on there being good guy slytherins. I also wanted there to be a reveal that Salazar himself wasn't actually that horrible and the Chamber of Secrets was just a rumor until Tom Riddle made it reality.

Also, I feel like you could make Snape a lot better with two changes: first, make clear that by the time of their deaths he's gotten over himself and is a genuine friend to Lily, even if he still hates James. Second, make him be a double agent from the get go, because he wants to be, not a committed death eater who turns "good" just because of Lily.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I always get slytherin in quizzes and I'm still salty she decided "no they're literally all racists."

As a kid I always wished she'd follow through on there being good guy slytherins. I also wanted there to be a reveal that Salazar himself wasn't actually that horrible and the Chamber of Secrets was just a rumor until Tom Riddle made it reality.

Also, I feel like you could make Snape a lot better with two changes: first, make clear that by the time of their deaths he's gotten over himself and is a genuine friend to Lily, even if he still hates James. Second, make him be a double agent from the get go, because he wants to be, not a committed death eater who turns "good" just because of Lily.

Third, make him not a horrible, abusive teacher.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fourth: Make Alan Rickman less hot

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"Dumbledore, these traps are so simple an 11 year old could get past them."

"Good point, add a troll, kids won't be able to do poo poo against a troll."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Check out young Alan Rickman from this episode of Smiley's People I just watched:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Roth posted:

Fourth: Make Alan Rickman less hot

:hmmyes:

e: he looks like a british Bob Odenkirk

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
So triwizard cup portkey stuff. Portkeys were heavily regulated by the ministry and you have to be licensed to make them as well as get approval for them and register them. It is harder than apparition to create them but it is never said how much harder.

Dumbledore is licensed but an added twist is that you cannot use a portkey to get to the Hogwarts grounds or use one on the grounds (say, to leave), similar to other forms of travel... unless the Headmaster specifically creates one and grants an exception. Hogwarts is sometimes connected to the floo network but this is guarded and watched by the ministry and Hogwarts staff. I guess it was supposed to see use as a telephone-type system but that only comes up a few times. It is possible to bypass the restrictions and call into Hogwarts but it is extremely risky to try.

It is never stated if the ministry has a way of tracking unlicensed portkeys but tracking anything on the Hogwarts grounds is difficult unless you have an eye witness.

Dumbledore turned the triwizard cup into a portkey to transport whomever touched it to the beginning of the maze. Barty Crouch jr. merely added a stopover in the graveyard in Little Hangleton but did not create the portkey himself because he would have been unable to do so. This also explains why it worked to transport Harry back to the beginning of the maze. It registered a stopover then a transport to the original destination.

Almost none of this is stated in the text explicitly, though it should have been. Much is implied but the magic system is so obtuse who even knows.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

New canon: There’s actually like 200 million wizards in the world, most of whom live in regular communities and hold down regular jobs and enjoy modern technology and society, but they use magic to gain every advantage and get ahead in life and their lives are pretty chill and comfortable

My son didn't get into his first choice of college because a (((wizard))) unfairly enchanted the admissions staff

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Hagrid actor Robbie Coltrane says people accusing J.K. Rowling of transphobia 'hang around waiting to be offended'

quote:

Robbie Coltrane, who played Hagrid in the "Harry Potter" film series, has defended J.K. Rowling against accusations of transphobia arguing that her critics are "waiting to be offended."
"I don't think what she said was offensive really," Coltrane said during an interview with the Radio Times. "I don't know why but there's a whole Twitter generation of people who hang around waiting to be offended. They wouldn't have won the war, would they?"

hagrid is canceled

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

so that's why hagrid never had any friends

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Funny how Twitter had to actually clarify that #ripjkrowling did not mean she was actually dead.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I bet twitter is more powerful than World War 2.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
entire thread is good but this was the standout for me

https://twitter.com/booticca_/status/1305695827134881793

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah, people poo poo all over their house super-power of "friendship" as opposed to "courage" and "knowledge" and "racism ambition" because people project themselves onto the houses but in real life being affable and well liked will get you extremely far.

Like Filch, for example, where they're the only house capable of figuring out that people are nice to you when you're nice to them. A devious riddle even Ravenclaw couldn't crack.

On the other hand in that song about the founding of Hogwarts they're literally described as "the rest". The books seem to vacillate from them being the friendly, outgoing house and just being the leftovers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New Harry Potter game got officially announced at the Sony PS5 event going on right now.
https://twitter.com/HogwartsLegacy/status/1306326061131522048
Since it is set in the 1800s sounds like they're trying to sidestep any direct HP connection.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this! posted:

New Harry Potter game got officially announced at the Sony PS5 event going on right now.
Since it is set in the 1800s sounds like they're trying to sidestep any direct HP connection.

And Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was supposed to be a new story with all-new characters and no connection to the story we already knew

end of mission 1, one of your classmates approaches you, "Nice to meet you, by the way. Name's Potter...BARRY Potter."

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I mean the potters are an pureblood family so it would be weird if there as not a potter there. In the potterverse the wizard goverment basicially control all of britain from the shadows. So i assume there will a mission dedicated to how instrumental Hogwarts had been in defeating the "dark" magic of the wild savages now liberated into mother into Britannia`s bosom during the preceding 50 years? Why else set the game in a era when the British empire was it`s heigth?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

muscles like this! posted:

So it's set in the time period when wizards didn't have bathrooms and if they had to go they'd just drop trow where they stood and then vanish their piss and poo poo away to uh, somewhere?

Can't wait to see how that's implemented in game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Can't find a bigger version but this is all I think of when people talk about wizards not understanding bathrooms.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Everyone can poo poo themselves but presumably it takes a bit of practice to master the getting-rid-of-poo poo spell, so something covering that period of a wizard's life would be fun.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
House elves used to be a lot more common...

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You all mock Wizard making GBS threads habits, but it's the most enlightened way of making GBS threads.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It makes sense for them to try going back to doing things with Hogwarts, since that's more interesting than the main cast's kids or Dumbledore or the Ministry or Grindlewald or whatever the Fantastic Beasts movies were supposed to be about, but I still feel like it's weird that they never seem to dip back into the fantasy of just a normal person being whisked off into the world of magic.

It's really not easy to expand a franchise past its initial work to start making new works that can stand on their own and add to the franchise in their own right. Warner Brothers has a lot invested into Harry Potter and it really wants to keep it rolling. Of course, they could just try investing into new properties to build up something new, but they really don't want to.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah we're seeing it right now with Disney and Star Wars: on the one hand they really need to get away from the OT, but on the other hand they're nervous about pouring a poo poo load of money into an entirely new Star Wars product that has nothing to do with Luke/Han/Leia/Vader and people resultingly not latching onto it. Hell even before Disney most Star Wars products were at least tangentially related to the OT in some capacity, KOTOR being the big exception I can think of. It's a big risk to take that leap of faith that fans will stick around for your universe after the characters that initially drew them into it are gone.

Also doesn't Rowling have total control over what is and is not allowed to carry the Harry Potter name? It might very well be that she doesn't want people to expand the universe too much or run off and make their own OC's she doesn't 100% approve of.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have a Slytherin shirt that I got on sale at a museum (when no other house shirts were on sale, lol) and among HP people it's basically a Che Guevara shirt.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

galagazombie posted:

You all mock Wizard making GBS threads habits, but it's the most enlightened way of making GBS threads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mspnqBFq76s

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Baudolino posted:

I mean the potters are an pureblood family so it would be weird if there as not a potter there. In the potterverse the wizard goverment basicially control all of britain from the shadows. So i assume there will a mission dedicated to how instrumental Hogwarts had been in defeating the "dark" magic of the wild savages now liberated into mother into Britannia`s bosom during the preceding 50 years? Why else set the game in a era when the British empire was it`s heigth?

Can't wait for the mission where we divide Africa with representatives from Durmstrang and Beauxbaton while we we all poo poo on the ground

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Part of me wishes this game had come out before I had completely soured on Potter poo poo. I would've gone crazy for this as a teenager.