Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Serf posted:

this would make sense except for the fact that the neonazis manage to blow up the galactic capitol in the first movie along with a lot of other heavily populated worlds. this event has no gravity or weight behind it and the collective response of the rest of the galaxy appears to be a shrug

lol I totally forgot about that!

Luckily it was a totally made-up-on-the-spot system of planets that had no inhabitants who we had ever heard of or is affiliated with anyone we have known from this universe before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

lol I totally forgot about that!

Luckily it was a totally made-up-on-the-spot system of planets that had no inhabitants who we had ever heard of or is affiliated with anyone we have known from this universe before

yeah, please ignore the fact that the planet that got blowed up looked like coruscant 100%. it wasn't actually coruscant. you can find this information out in the new expanded universe

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'd like to remind you all that you can join us over in the CineD Star Wars thread, because the points you're bringing up are stuff we've gone over endlessly ourselves and it's always fun to have new blood in the thread.

Serf
May 5, 2011

galagazombie posted:

I'd like to remind you all that you can join us over in the CineD Star Wars thread, because the points you're bringing up are stuff we've gone over endlessly ourselves and it's always fun to have new blood in the thread.

i posted there a few years back but i got tired of that one guy desperately arguing that the death star in tfa was not a death star

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Some Guy TT posted:

remember how in the simpsons movie the president is mcbain reskinned as arnold schwarzenegger instead of just being mcbain or how the villain is a random crazy epa guy instead of fan favorite good boss slash stealth bond villain hank scorpio

I thought that was about denying royalties to the original episode writers

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1306307406905868288?s=21

not that i dont enjoy a little bit of star wars chat as a treat but lets try to get the thread more on brand with a discussion prompt

how long have comedians been sniffing their own farts about how important comedy is to political progress

my guess is its been going on for awhile im just not sure whether it got more stupid recently or if im only just recently paying better attention to it like george carlin has been treated as a political prophet forever but i vaguely remember that this used to be in the context of pop culture actually admitting that politicians loving suck and never anything so weird as carlin being used to deliver sick owns in the service of a biden ad

for a more distinct example this really ended up wrecking the marvelous miss maisel for me because the show absolutely buys into this mythos that lenny bruce single handedly pushed social progress forward by telling risque jokes and i dont think i really appreciated just how far up their own asses the writers were about this until the third season wrote in political beatniks squatting in monks house as being the villains

it sucks because the big selling point of marvelous miss maisel is that its surprisingly good on social class in the fifties with maisels parents being pmc idiots who dont actually know anything about managing money and susie being a working class woman who swears a lot the show does a really good job of presenting what the fifties were actually like as opposed to the theme park version were using to seeing or even more obnoxious an attempted deconstruction of the theme park version which just makes the inability of the show to understand how and why that culture ended that much more frustrating

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
i started to notice it when tough crowd with colin quinn went on the air and it seemed to get even dumber when every north east comic started going on the opie and anthony show and could talk honestly with rude words about current events and politics. prior to that bill hicks' whole career and t00l exposing his drug rant to millions were probably a big catalyst.

twitter also ruined a lot of comics, i got to listen to that happen live during those o&a years. every single comic in america having a podcast too.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

late for star wars chat but I agree with other posters that the ST would have worked much better if the scale was shrunk down massively so the first order is just another imperial remnant the new republic can’t be assed to fight. but this one brainwashed leia’s son so she gathered up a new ragtag team of people who want to go kill imperials and has been fighting them with whatever resources she can get

then they could play with the media tropes of neonazis being pathetic imitations of the real thing, like hux’s hitler speech being given to a crowd like 10 times smaller in a shabby arena rather than their new super death star. they strapped a death star laser to a star destroyer but it doesn’t really work, that sort of thing. still dangerous because they go on slave raids but in a different way

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

ElNarez posted:

I think Star Wars is good because it's about ghosts telling teens to go and kill frankensteins

but they choose to spare the frankenstein and it kills the doctor (whose name is actually frankenstein except not in this case)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Soup du Jour posted:

late for star wars chat but I agree with other posters that the ST would have worked much better if the scale was shrunk down massively so the first order is just another imperial remnant the new republic can’t be assed to fight. but this one brainwashed leia’s son so she gathered up a new ragtag team of people who want to go kill imperials and has been fighting them with whatever resources she can get

then they could play with the media tropes of neonazis being pathetic imitations of the real thing, like hux’s hitler speech being given to a crowd like 10 times smaller in a shabby arena rather than their new super death star. they strapped a death star laser to a star destroyer but it doesn’t really work, that sort of thing. still dangerous because they go on slave raids but in a different way

in their rush to give us another death star they forgot that the whole idea of vader is that he's way more powerful than a death star. and yeah, the FO could just be an imperial remnant that is attracting lots of support and unifying the others into a real threat, and their secret weapon is kylo himself. way more interesting, and it makes the connection between rey and kylo way more important. and here's an idea- have some relationships which mirror this in various ways. like maybe phasma hates finn so much because she loathes the fo and wishes she had the courage to leave. maybe poe and hux are set up as foils.

the established fact is that if one side has jedi or sith and the other doesn't, the side with the magic space wizards wins every time. with half an ounce of understanding or maybe just some weed and discussion, they might have understood that this should be fairly easy to establish intuitively as why the fo is unbeatable.

also the whole mindset of the st is mired in what is increasingly evident as de-facto disney ideology, based on girlbosses, heroic cia agents, and barely concealed support for the democrats as heroic underdogs. whereas the whole point of the pt is that attachment to and identification with the interests of the republic lead the jedi to the dark side and clouded their vision of the force once those interests were overtly threatened. whereas the point of the ot in light of this is precisely that it is the common cause against evil, not jedi (republic) ideology, which allows luke to attain victory. unfortunately, the dark side also clouds the minds of disney executives, so they cannot even understand something as basic as star wars.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Sep 17, 2020

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Comedy died when Jon Stewart did a special talk after 9/11

he's not a bad person for doing it, but that helped make him an "important" person and began the boring liberal slant comedy

is it really comedy becoming bad though, or liberals retreating into entertainment when they can no longer grapple with reality

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cumtown is saving comedy, baby!!!!!!!!1

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
i actually liked rey, terrifying girlboss and all. well i don't know about the third one, it didn't even seem to have tlj's attempt to actually build on the themes of the previous trilogies. but i liked the character as extremely singleminded, self-sufficient, and terrifyingly sure of her moral judgement, but also completely lost for meaningful identity or guidance. that last bit was pretty relatable even if what the film made of it was meh. that concept and ridley's execution could have made for a great synthesis of anakin and luke, and gently caress, so just many actors and even characters that deserved better. loving finn man. he wasn't a perfect character, but he was likeable and seemed to really be earning being a badass.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Sep 17, 2020

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Stairmaster posted:

Cumtown is saving comedy, baby!!!!!!!!1

S I L E N C E

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

most "comedy" these days is just some guy on snl going "trump is illiterate and loves golf!!" which (deniro voice) isn't funny

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

trust me, I know a thing or two about not being funny

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Peanut President posted:

trust me, I know a thing or two about not being funny

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
only those who once posted in d&d understand :ussr:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's funny that people who fully realise how unfunny a Borat impression is will still happily do their Trump over and over.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
sign a contract with disney for a minor superhero thing and they pump you fulla chemicals and turn you into an ogre.

https://twitter.com/postXamerica/status/1306290086913298432?s=20

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It's already gone

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

in their rush to give us another death star they forgot that the whole idea of vader is that he's way more powerful than a death star. and yeah, the FO could just be an imperial remnant that is attracting lots of support and unifying the others into a real threat, and their secret weapon is kylo himself. way more interesting, and it makes the connection between rey and kylo way more important. and here's an idea- have some relationships which mirror this in various ways. like maybe phasma hates finn so much because she loathes the fo and wishes she had the courage to leave. maybe poe and hux are set up as foils.

the established fact is that if one side has jedi or sith and the other doesn't, the side with the magic space wizards wins every time. with half an ounce of understanding or maybe just some weed and discussion, they might have understood that this should be fairly easy to establish intuitively as why the fo is unbeatable.

also the whole mindset of the st is mired in what is increasingly evident as de-facto disney ideology, based on girlbosses, heroic cia agents, and barely concealed support for the democrats as heroic underdogs. whereas the whole point of the pt is that attachment to and identification with the interests of the republic lead the jedi to the dark side and clouded their vision of the force once those interests were overtly threatened. whereas the point of the ot in light of this is precisely that it is the common cause against evil, not jedi (republic) ideology, which allows luke to attain victory. unfortunately, the dark side also clouds the minds of disney executives, so they cannot even understand something as basic as star wars.

i love this

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
stand up comedy as a distinct genre is also on the decline. twitter (and social media in general) definitely played a part in that; the form factor of the internet means that shareable content needs to be very punchy and distinctive, and so only certain forms of stand-up survived. aggressive political humor (however lame and succ) is at least amenable to the usual clickbait social media tactics that prioritize outrage and so on, so it can last longer than the rest

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Some Guy TT posted:

how long have comedians been sniffing their own farts about how important comedy is to political progress

Comedians are some of the most self-important, narcissistic people you'll ever meet. And to some extent the job selects for it, but how many podcasts do we need where comedians mumble about how telling fart jokes is how they cope with their childhood traumas, or why they have to be able to say racial slurs to ply their trade, or shows that are "just about my crazy life" or ad-libbing because they're so fascinating?

Does it show that I burnt out badly on comedy a few years ago?

But Trump shows how ineffectual comedy is in politics. He practically writes the jokes but no comic has managed to land a hit, just quips about how his name and orange colour.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Being a professional clown is probably not great in a lot of ways.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/themarkrussell/status/1306395233597288449?p=v

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Zoomers came of age when every comedian is so obviously a thin skinned weirdo with an embarrassing Twitter account that couldn't be obscured by a curated image from a semi-biographical TV show and gushy magazine profiles.

I don't envy the lovely times GenZ came of age in, but I wish liberal comedy was already as discredited when I was a teen. The mirage of liberal aspiration poisoned my millennial brain quite much.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Hufflepuff attacked.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serf posted:

i posted there a few years back but i got tired of that one guy desperately arguing that the death star in tfa was not a death star

That guy doesnt post anymore and it made the thread way less readable bc now its just a bunch of guys talking about some dumb science fantasy movies

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

not that i dont enjoy a little bit of star wars chat as a treat but lets try to get the thread more on brand with a discussion prompt

my guess is its been going on for awhile im just not sure whether it got more stupid recently or if im only just recently paying better attention to it like george carlin has been treated as a political prophet forever but i vaguely remember that this used to be in the context of pop culture actually admitting that politicians loving suck and never anything so weird as carlin being used to deliver sick owns in the service of a biden ad

for a more distinct example this really ended up wrecking the marvelous miss maisel for me because the show absolutely buys into this mythos that lenny bruce single handedly pushed social progress forward by telling risque jokes and i dont think i really appreciated just how far up their own asses the writers were about this until the third season wrote in political beatniks squatting in monks house as being the villains

it sucks because the big selling point of marvelous miss maisel is that its surprisingly good on social class in the fifties with maisels parents being pmc idiots who dont actually know anything about managing money and susie being a working class woman who swears a lot the show does a really good job of presenting what the fifties were actually like as opposed to the theme park version were using to seeing or even more obnoxious an attempted deconstruction of the theme park version which just makes the inability of the show to understand how and why that culture ended that much more frustrating

Carlin's political "jokes" were that America is awful, always has been always will be, and both parties are trying to personally screw you over so he's wayyyy ahead of the gentle ribbing today's standups hand out. His pop culture stuff was vicious too, I can't recall a modern mainstream comic with anything approaching his vitriol, and the scene suffers for it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

This may be my own age showing, but I think the big turning point was Jon Stewart on the Daily Show, and it became relevant because for a while under GWB the Democrats completely abandoned even the facade of opposition to the Republicans. With no real political debate going on except who would be the most killingest to the most terrorists, people latched onto a public figure who was willing to say that both sides were stupid. As that brilliant twitter account reposting GWB-era left artifacts shows, it was the height of political comedy in the mid-2000s to say that George Bush was the new Hitler but also was a complete moron, and the most high-profile person making jokes about how Bush was bad was Jon Stewart, so he became a cultural phenomenon. But he would also occasionally make jokes about how the Democrats and the mainstream media were a waste of oxygen, so people were willing to accept him as a sophisticated political voice instead of a comedian making jokes that often only landed because politics at the time was so goddamn stupid. Half the time his jokes were just him doing a stereotypical New Yorker accent and mugging at the camera to communicate "get a load of these loving clowns"

anyway I think that directly contributed to the current situation of comedians thinking they're making incisive political commentary by making a face while wearing an orange wig and a spray tan

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Looks like those clowns in Congress did it again. What a bunch of clowns.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Looks like those clowns in Congress did it again. What a bunch of clowns.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Here's renegade cuts recent essay take on how snl is a mouthpiece for neoliberalism, always has been. The political satire is toothless, pandering to celebrity while ignoring or mocking victims of injustice.

https://youtu.be/7gQFvf19Jec

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

trying to figure out how this fits in with my theory that QAnon is a political fandom

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

who would you all say is the usa’s musician most comparable to a victor jara or fela kuti in terms of popularity, talent/quality, and political activism/influence? is there one?

maybe like aretha or nina simone? i don’t think woody was really all that popular or influential in his day. maybe some early jazz musicians, but i‘m not too versed in that period

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

who would you all say is the usa’s musician most comparable to a victor jara or fela kuti in terms of popularity, talent/quality, and political activism/influence? is there one?

maybe like aretha or nina simone? i don’t think woody was really all that popular or influential in his day. maybe some early jazz musicians, but i‘m not too versed in that period

that depends. fela kuti was widely listened to across nigeria (more in the southwest than anywhere else, but still), and no white people listened to nina simone in 1965. i don't think that type of figure was possible in the US, progressive enough to be morally righteous in our eyes but acceptable enough to white america to have 'mainstream' popularity. white america sucked back then, even more than now! maybe, like jara, they were all killed

my first response for widespread popularity, talent and cultural output would be fats domino, people rightfully worshipped him. he wasn't much of an activist, though. more of a gamer-type

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Michael Franti used to be more political, but looking at his recent youtubes it's mostly tame peace+love stuff.

Comedy answer: RATM

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

timely -- renegade cut just released an essay about how SNL is a mouthpiece for neoliberalism, always has been. The political satire is toothless, there's nothing leftist or even small-l liberal about it.

He does a review of Liberalism and neoliberalism, skip to 8:00 for the main essay section

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQFvf19Jec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i say swears online posted:

that depends. fela kuti was widely listened to across nigeria (more in the southwest than anywhere else, but still), and no white people listened to nina simone in 1965. i don't think that type of figure was possible in the US, progressive enough to be morally righteous in our eyes but acceptable enough to white america to have 'mainstream' popularity. white america sucked back then, even more than now! maybe, like jara, they were all killed

my first response for widespread popularity, talent and cultural output would be fats domino, people rightfully worshipped him. he wasn't much of an activist, though. more of a gamer-type

been listening to a lot of fela lately and thought this would be a nice break from star trek/war chat

doubt there is an analogue to fela/jara, as no musician (let alone politician really) has been as threatening to the state as they were, like that vonnegut quote about all the artists and musicians against vietnam in the sixties accomplishing absolutely nothing

feel like there has to be an example of some 20s/30s jazz musicians (duke? ella? really more versed in jazz from the late 50s on) who made headway in desegregation of music venues or something