Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wouldn't say it's quite the same thing, but there is a Rimworld mod which allows you to build elevators to randomly generated "underground" levels. It's supposed to be a mining mod first and foremost and your colonists cannot really deal with the idea of pathfinding across multiple levels, but it is entirely possible to build an entire base down there. It goes basically as far as you want it to, the whole is procedurally generated.

I can't remember the name for the life of me, but you should be able to find it easily enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There's a full blown 3z levels with pathing support mod now I believe, although I haven't tried it myself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh, nice. If I ever touch Rimworld again, I'll have to try that. Thanks for mentioning it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There’s this fact from knot theory that roughly translates to saying that any system of hallways, no matter how loopy and interlinked with itself, would fit in exactly two z-levels (and sufficient space horizontally, of course). All you really need is some sort of crossing tile so that one path can pass under another.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That only really works on the assumption that you are allowed to stretch or shorten hallway lengths at will, though. Right?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, it's a topological idea, so you'll have to bend and stretch everything to fit. DF is on a grid, which makes it harder in the "figuring it out as a human" sense, but is equivalent from the math standpoint; you can always reshape a knot diagram so it consists of only vertical and horizontal lines and hence fits on a grid (again assuming your grid is arbitrarily large).

Games like Factorio are essentially making use of this; you have to send your items along a zillion criss-crossy connections, and cramming those connections into a 2D plane (via specific methods for crossing one conveyor belt over another) is a big part of the gameplay.

megane fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 8, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just hope the Steam version keeps the same keybindings. I have a lot of fort builds saved as macros and I don't want to have to retype them all (I will totally retype them all if I have to).

I like to do each floor of the fort in a different fractal pattern.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just hope the Steam version keeps the same keybindings. I have a lot of fort builds saved as macros and I don't want to have to retype them all (I will totally retype them all if I have to).

pics or it didnt happen

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tias posted:

pics or it didnt happen

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16901.msg1015652#msg1015652

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35931.msg2370202#msg2370202

Past that it was just https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Bedroom_design which each floor as a different fractal, then a two-tile wide (that is, five tiles total on each side) central winding staircase. I still have all the .csv's saved somewhere. My main floor was that Hactar fractal but done snowflake-style with a big central room and either two or three tile wide main corridors.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 9, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

I can't seem to open the .csv file. What do I need :confused:

Love your central waterfall idea!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
yeah those links are all dead, sorry. one sec

whew, yeah, at some point I uploaded them to google sheets

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByLUM8IkX78aYjFhYjA0ZDMtZDkxNS00ZTFjLTllYTItMmU1NWRhNGU4ZDZk?usp=sharing

From what I recall (goddam, it's been almost a decade) the basic fort design worked fine, it was just Too drat Big and died the slow death of cpu-bottlenecked big forts long before I used even half of the space.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 9, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

I still can't understand them, sorry :o what's d and what's r - am I supposed to copy them into the game somehow?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You feed them into http://www.joelpt.net/quickfort/ , or at least you did back in the day. Might no longer work (that was kinda my question, really)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An actual UI would definitely make DF more enjoyable for me but I wonder if they are going to make the military side a bit more intuitive/usable/less chaotic.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh snap! Thanks a lot!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Knot theory might sound great on paper, but with that many dwarves so close to their everyday needs and activities, it makes the bad thoughts downward spiral that much faster.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Knot theory might sound great on paper, but with that many dwarves so close to their everyday needs and activities, it makes the bad thoughts downward spiral that much faster.

Gotta admit it is dwarfy as all gently caress, tho

"Everything is TOO NICE! Smash the state!"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There is a fortress in my world called Workercruelties. I know this because I found a very angrily written book about it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Reminded me of this

https://xkcd.com/1172/

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I've trained my first war animal in a long while (a giant grizzly bear :black101: ), and the wiki says a war animal can be 'assigned to a dwarf'. How do I do that?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Tias posted:

So I've trained my first war animal in a long while (a giant grizzly bear :black101: ), and the wiki says a war animal can be 'assigned to a dwarf'. How do I do that?

[v]iew the unit, skip to the [p]references tab, pick [a] for Work Animals.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm super loving stoked for 'dwarf fortress but you can actually know what the fucks going on without carefully carving wrinkles into your brain'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is Idekzulash an artifact brain, all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality, it is adorned with hanging loops of comprehension in Motherfucker's human brain matter. It menaces with spikes of understanding.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm actually kinda concerned about the reverse. I've been able to see the matrix for so long that I'm worried graphics may weirdly introduce a new difficulty curve for me.

Not that I intend to suggest graphical DF is in any way a bad idea. my brain is just bad and I worry about dumb things constantly

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

From my own experience with roguelikes that suddenly got a graphical tile option, you get used to it very, very quickly.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've said this a number of times but I really hope the Steam version has a "classic" ASCII graphic set. My only minor worry is that graphics can sometimes take away from the minds imagination, but I'm still very stoked for the Steam version.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

I've said this a number of times but I really hope the Steam version has a "classic" ASCII graphic set. My only minor worry is that graphics can sometimes take away from the minds imagination, but I'm still very stoked for the Steam version.
In one of the DF talks Toady mentioned that Steam insisted that the ascii version be available too, so it will be.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

In one of the DF talks Toady mentioned that Steam insisted that the ascii version be available too, so it will be.

Yeah, steam wants it all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kind of a weird thought that Valve would explicitly insist on getting the ASCII version, but hey, so much the better I guess.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pickled Tink posted:

That's good to hear. I figure it's probably a pretty trivial feature to add to the Steam version considering they are going to maintain the free version on the bay12 site.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah Valve probably wants to route the real heads through Steam so we get exposed to the advertising for whatever inferior non-dwarven software is available lately.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I can’t wait for the Steam release but partially because I want feature development to continue full throttle

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope Toady makes hella bank off this release and can live in comfort through the hellscape that is American healthcare.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The graphics are nice and I will definitely play with them on, but the main reason I'm holding off playing my next game is the overhauled UI. It's going to be amazing.

I hope he also makes legends mode a bit easier to delve into in the game itself rather than pulling everything out in dfhack.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Nessus posted:

Yeah Valve probably wants to route the real heads through Steam so we get exposed to the advertising for whatever inferior non-dwarven software is available lately.

I actually doubt that its a malicious or crafty reason. Honestly, think about the type of people who would work for steam. There’s probably a few low to mid-level managers who are REALLY excited that dwarf fortress is going to be supported by something they are working on and they threw in the ascii request since that’s the version they started with.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Demiurge4 posted:

I hope Toady makes hella bank off this release and can live in comfort through the hellscape that is American healthcare.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Hopefully he can make bank and move to another country with better healthcare.

E: And all the other bonuses of leaving this hellscape of a nation

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 17, 2020

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

I'm super loving stoked for 'dwarf fortress but you can actually know what the fucks going on without carefully carving wrinkles into your brain'

Scientists say we only use 10% of our brain and you better have been training on the other 90% to get Legendary Engraver before you even think about it buster

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Demiurge4 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYS-kNvgXR8