Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

In wrestling terms, they are closer to masked luchadores who can have any gimmick in the ring because they get to be themselves once the mask is off.
And for the Hololivers, that means being a bunch of awkward antisocial nerds with no friends except the ones they made on the internet, which I think we can all relate to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Don't loving put a mirror in front of my face like that. :(

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Looks like I was right, HoloEN got monetized already!

https://twitter.com/takanashikiara/status/1306533368419377152

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
First gen 5 collab with other gens is already going well, Polka is playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with Coco giving most of her advice in English.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

god what are gura's superchats gonna look like

internet money comin' in hot

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

First gen 5 collab with other gens is already going well, Polka is playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with Coco giving most of her advice in English.

Losing my poo poo at Coco giving the correct instructions in English, Polka horribly misunderstanding them, and then arguing with her that they're wrong.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

InspectorCarbonara posted:

lmao this is great, polka is losing her poo poo and yelling panik. japanese and english chat are spamming it too

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I'm so happy all the EN girls are successful. It really helps solidify that vtubers are a thing that is internationally successful and encourages more people to try Vtubing in the future. This hopefully means we can get a Gen 2 of Hololive EN because the amount of success Gen 1 has is ridiculous.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

I started following the scene in January 2018, and it has been interesting to follow how things have shifted.
The companies that pushed the whole vtuber thing in the beginning (Active8, DUO, Appland, Cover, and at-the-time independents like Kaguya Luna etc) were all tech-companies, who worked for a tech-goal. Remember that the term virtual youtuber comes from Kizuna AI, and "virtual" is for virtual reality, not for things to be fictional.
There is a panel-discussion with some of the big ones from an event in the summer 2018, where Kaguya Luna's producer puts it very clearly "my dream is to make Sword Art Online a reality". What he wanted to do with the Kaguya Luna-project was to shorten the gap between virtual and real world. During 2018 there were a lot of VR-events from the various companies, but it seems to have dropped down now.
I see Nojaloli's old video as a milestone in the scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVh4Fc43Bo
It showed that anyone could do this, and there was an explosion of "homemade" channels coming up after that.
Another milestone was when Nijisanji came on to the scene in February of 2018. Cheaper production, and focus on streaming content. Ichikara's original goal with Nijisanji was to promote their app, but they quickly shifted to becoming an entertainment company. Cover had also done stream-focused content with Tokino Sora, but it was always with full 3D & mocap. With Hololive they also started focusing on cheaper stream-content. I don't mean this in a negative way. I love where we are today, and I love following tons of channels.
2018 was an exciting time, it reminded me of when when Hatsune Miku was released - an explosion of creativity from nowhere. There was something new happening every month, and nobody knew wtf was going to happen.

There is definitely influence of classical idol-culture to the vtuber-scene. Hololive has been marketed as an idol-group, and people freak the hell out when they interact with guys. This is less of a problem at Nijisanji.
For streaming culture you see a lot Twitch-style chat from non-Japanese viewers. Lots of spam etc. Not my cup of tea, but I'm an outsider to Twitch-culture so I can't judge.
Good comparison with the wrestling-personas. Some vtubers have a thinner wall between persona & person than others. Himemori Luna has a pretty thick wall, whereas Natsuiro Matsuri has a thinner wall. We should all be mindful of, and respect the wall, no matter how thin it seems.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

PerOlus posted:

Remember that the term virtual youtuber comes from Kizuna AI, and "virtual" is for virtual reality, not for things to be fictional.
Alright, I've decided. I'm gonna be the world's first Augmented Youtuber.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
to add on to that bit of history, covers Tokino Sora exploded in popularity when a youtube bug killed all the top live streams during christmas 2017

heres a cool video to show how insanely popular hololive is compared to even 6 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJnx9cY-Mk8

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think its definitely a synthesis of lots of things. The modern vtuber is cribbing a lot from regular streamers, but the viewer experience can be pretty different (as evidenced by some of the growing pains the english audience has gone through this week), it really is more like watching an entertainer like the kind of "talent" you see on Japanese TV. Something like Nijisanji especially has the size and breadth of talent as an irl talent agency, and a lot of the poo poo they get up to is exactly the same kind of thing you'd see on a TV variety show. Hololive is really the only group that keeps up an idol front and thats mostly an elaborate joke (mostly), they sing and dance but its more for the sake of setting up Hello Project style subunits and stuff (and heck even Hello Project idols do variety shows!). Even going back to Kizuna Ai, she literally had a variety show on TV, doing a lot of the same kinds of skits she does on her channel. I think there's a lot of that DNA in there also.

I've definitely made the wrestler comparison also, in terms of the distinction between their inside/outside personas and the respect you're expected to have for the distance, as a fan. Or like the distance between a puppet and the puppeteer.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I don't know if I've just been ignoring something good or what, but I never got into streaming until I started watching Vtubers, and even then this week with Hololive EN is the first time I've tried to watch streams and archives instead of just clips. I feel like that distance is part of it, there feels like there's a barrier that keeps it from getting too voyeuristic, which is something that always felt weird with streaming. The only peaks behind the curtain are the ones the Vtubers choose to show, and it makes it feel like less of a parasocial relationship and more appreciation of an actor's work and characterization.
Edit: I think that's why Ame has grown on me so quickly. She seems like the EN member most aware of that barrier, and is using it to actively cultivate the community, chat, and character she wants (though I think Ina's also really good with that). She knows the exact balance of herself and Watson she wants, and everything feels very deliberate because of that.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 17, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I do not give a poo poo about streaming outside of vtubers, and even within vtubers I don't really get a whole lot out of watching people play games unless they have something interesting to say about it. Amelia's Superliminal stream was good for that, out of the recent ENs.

Vtubers definitely thrive on people developing parasocial relationships with anime girls, but there's definitely something to them acknowledging it's fake. All the twitch and youtube people are just as fake as the anime girls, but they're the opposite and are premised on you believing that they're real.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 17, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

homeless snail posted:

I've definitely made the wrestler comparison also, in terms of the distinction between their inside/outside personas and the respect you're expected to have for the distance, as a fan. Or like the distance between a puppet and the puppeteer.
LOL, like the "a hotdog is a sandwich" argument, I just realized that you could consider VTuber characters as puppets/ventriloquist dummies. It's the equivalent of all of us getting obsessed with Howdy Doody or (shudder) Jeff Dunham's characters.

I still regret nothing, haha!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They are 100% virtual puppets. Watch Debi Debi Debiru

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

People tend to forget that Cover and Nijisanji are legitimate talent agencies, and their standards have only gotten higher as their popularity has grown. I recall seeing a subtitled clip of Coco marveling at how quickly Holofive and HoloEN have exploded onto the scene. These are established content creators, that clearly have their poo poo together and know how to play to their own strengths.

e: found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yactWfIytDI

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 17, 2020

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Gura has 300,000 subscribers already. Shark is far too strong.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 17, 2020

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Bloody Pom posted:

People tend to forget that Cover and Nijisanji are legitimate talent agencies, and their standards have only gotten higher as their popularity has grown. I recall seeing a subtitled clip of Coco marveling at how quickly Holofive and HoloEN have exploded onto the scene. These are established content creators, that clearly have their poo poo together and know how to play to their own strengths.

e: found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yactWfIytDI

Haha, I see Coco as part of raising the level there. Asacoco every weekday was ambitious as hell, and probably helped a bunch in making 2020 the year of Hololive (so far).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

no

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:ohno:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Sorry if I used bad words.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Oh gross, found someone on Twitter trying to out Calli's previous handle. Time to make use of the harassment reporting feature Cover added to their website! :fuckoff:

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
On the person/character separation I've enjoyed watching clips of Kagura Mea recently because she's managed to craft a persona around breaking the virtual kayfabe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PerOlus posted:

Haha, I see Coco as part of raising the level there. Asacoco every weekday was ambitious as hell, and probably helped a bunch in making 2020 the year of Hololive (so far).

Asacoco was definitely a big push for me. It reminded me of the Muppet Show in a big way - it brought together this huge cast of wacky characters and let them interact in hilarious ways and established a lot of running gags that help enormously with making the viewer establish mental attachments to that character and make you interested in seeing more of their stuff. Collabs obviously existed before Asacoco but Asacoco kind of created the idea of...I don't even know how to say it, a hololive canon? A hololive universe? It reminded me of the conceit of the Muppet Show where everything was supposed to be happening at a big theater production company.

You can see the effects of creating people who are fans of hololive in general rather than merely fans of a specific streamer with how wildly successful both gen5 and holoen have been in such a short time. The moment Watson did her drug trip moment during her debut and the chat immediately lit up with foreign viewers who don't speak a lick of Japanese nevertheless going "ASACOCO???" it was made pretty clear to me how much work Coco had done for the brand. (This isn't to minimize the talents of Gen5 and HoloEN, mind you.)

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 17, 2020

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/moricalliope/status/1306563552786837504?s=21

Mori also confirms that she has Superchat. Looks like all the girls are going to get them. I can’t imagine the deluge of money coming in.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I hope everyone is ready for YouTube to go down due to the deluge of “a” super chats later.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kiara's stream is a wall of superchats holy poo poo.

I can already see the Coco PANIK memes.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m sorry for being that person, but I’m coming from a place of ignorance. Can I know why I shouldn’t use the term loli and what I should use in the future? I love Gura and all the girls but don’t want to contribute to toxicity intentionally or otherwise.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

tl;dr it's usually pedo/MAP poo poo op.

Longer explanation, it's an unfortunate side effect of the moe/cute aesthetic. Gura is designed to be cute and is also very small, ergo people make creepy associations.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 17, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

jimmydalad posted:

I’m sorry for being that person, but I’m coming from a place of ignorance. Can I know why I shouldn’t use the term loli and what I should use in the future? I love Gura and all the girls but don’t want to contribute to toxicity intentionally or otherwise.

Loli is a hentai term. That should tell you all you need to know.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ahahaha.

https://i.imgur.com/Kh2fYWp.gifv

And this was a medium-intensity period, it's insane.

Onean fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 17, 2020

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
it's been 27 minutes and she's up to 6740$

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Loli is a hentai term. That should tell you all you need to know.

TIL that it originated as a hentai term. Ok, I can understand why it’s a bad thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

klapman posted:

And all she's doing is copying a wikipedia article into MS Paint, I'm in awe of this stream

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I gave her 2$ and said she only gets it if I get 5% of the stocks. I'll see you poors later

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

klapman posted:

So she gets like $1300 of that? Guess people gotta whale harder

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eej posted:

So she gets like $1300 of that? Guess people gotta whale harder

She gets about 2350 of it if the 30/35/35 thing applies to all of them

I doubt HoloEN would get a worse deal than everyone else

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Actually I've been wondering if you pay VAT off the superchat amount too, before YouTube's share. Depending on where you send from or where the payment card belongs or something else perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Cao Ni Ma posted:

She gets about 2350 of it if the 30/35/35 thing applies to all of them

I doubt HoloEN would get a worse deal than everyone else

this, just take away 30% for youtube then cut the rest in half

shes rolling in it, she already opened a restaurant