Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Nuggets also still give some minutes to Plumlee, who is a very good backup center, so you can definitely bring JaVale or Dwight in for that to give AD a rest, but also yeah I think Dwight on Jokic is fine for stretches too. Jokic is a problem for pretty much anyone to at least some extent, but Dwight can bang with him in the post and I don't think Jokic is really going to regularly cook him off the dribble or anything. He might step out and hit threes like he did against Gobert but I don't think there's much anyone can do with him when he's doing that.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

euphronius posted:

Davis at 5 isn’t really small

small ball is a state of mind

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The only reason they don't play Davis at the 5 more is that he hates banging around down low. Denver should go to the post often when Davis is guarding Jokic to try and wear him down.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Dwight has been good this year! The Lakers definitely will give him 20-25 minutes a game against the Nuggets. Just because they ditched their centers against Houston's unique scheme doesn't mean they have shifted philosophy totally. And anyway, I'd back Howard to do at better against Jokic than Zubac (he's actually become fairly nimble and mobile this year in his slimmed down self) and way way way better than Harrell.

Javale has sucked though and basically only gets the start for dumb 'hes our starter!' reasons. Dwight is playing all the important 3rd and 4th quarter minutes when they run with two bigs.

JaVale's been good too! The JaVale lineups in the regular season were productive and accounted for 3 of the top 5 largest minutes-played lineups. You're right in that they don't really have a true "Starting" Center and just use whomever makes the most sense, and Dwight gives them a P&R weapon on offense that has been pretty effective.

MourningView posted:

Jokic is a problem for pretty much anyone to at least some extent,

This pretty much is it, and I like that the Lakers can try to go big or "Small" and show Jokic different defenders. Most importantly I think the Lakers have people who can defend Jokic without NEEDING to double him. Jokic's still going to score and get his dimes though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not doubling jokic does seem like the winning play

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
jokic on his way to the WCF

:horse:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Proud of Murray and jokic for matching chris Paul's wcf appearance total at such a young age

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Metapod posted:

Proud of Murray and jokic for matching chris Paul's wcf appearance total at such a young age

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1305984620001923080

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/sportsradiopd/status/1306615848451346432?s=20

I don't even remember who ESPN's third color person is after JVG/Jackson and Doris, so that's nice

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Metapod posted:

also Carmelo Anthony's!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

looks at the rider in the background

looks at jokic's concerned expression

jokic, you're going the wrong way!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vivek and Joe Dumars are going to team up and launch a new cologne

quote:

As for Dumars’ role going forward, the Kings announced on Thursday that he will be the chief strategy officer. McNair, sources say, will report directly to Ranadive.

“In this new role, (Dumars) will continue to report to the owner and chairman, and help drive strategy across the organization’s entire portfolio of activities, including business, basketball, new ventures, entertainment and real estate,” the release said.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Jordan never made the WCF

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Nothing better illustrates the death of numbers in sports than 538's forecast giving the celtics an almost 50% chance to win the finals. Did Nate sell the site to barstool or something?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I’m not sure I’m prepared to root for a player named Cade

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

chamois posted:

Nothing better illustrates the death of numbers in sports than 538's forecast giving the celtics an almost 50% chance to win the finals. Did Nate sell the site to barstool or something?

Must be what bill Simmons did with all that spotify money

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

chamois posted:

538 has always had crappy basketball analysis.

I think their thing really doesn't like Miami so that's why the Celtics have such an advantage, it think the Celts are going to walk in which gives them a big edge.

ELO is probably not a very intuitive way of trying to predict a championship, its ok for determining a series. I don't like CARMELO either though so the whole thing is kinda bunk.

Edit: Oh the RAPTOR thing is almost 60%, I dunno what that is but it also looks stupid. ELO still has the Celtics favored but in a much more realistic 34% chance which is basically ELO saying most things are a tossup beyond Denver.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 17, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Jordan never made the WCF

"At press time, analyst Stephen A. Smith suggested LeBron would never be considered great until he beat Jordan in the playoffs."

chamois posted:

At it was at something like 55% before game 1. Meanwhile, I think it had the Nuggets at less than 1% when they were down 3-2 to the Clippers.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I was critical of the Lakers roster construction all season, but come playoff time when you have Lebron and Davis you really only need your role players to be good at 1 or two things. The team is filled with guys that would be anchors on other teams but it works. I'm still rooting for more Nuggets magic but I can't see it happening.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I was critical of the Lakers roster construction all season, but come playoff time when you have Lebron and Davis you really only need your role players to be good at 1 or two things. The team is filled with guys that would be anchors on other teams but it works. I'm still rooting for more Nuggets magic but I can't see it happening.

Agreed, I would rather have 2 top 5 players and a bunch of replacement level dudes then a solid deep squad in the WCF. Much as I love the nuggets and have for years and years Lakers in 5-6

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

538 has always had crappy basketball analysis.

I think their thing really doesn't like Miami so that's why the Celtics have such an advantage, it think the Celts are going to walk in which gives them a big edge.

ELO is probably not a very intuitive way of trying to predict a championship, its ok for determining a series. I don't like CARMELO either though so the whole thing is kinda bunk.

Edit: Oh the RAPTOR thing is almost 60%, I dunno what that is but it also looks stupid. ELO still has the Celtics favored but in a much more realistic 34% chance which is basically ELO saying most things are a tossup beyond Denver.

Yeah i think it's mostly just because it hated Miami, which is reasonable if you're still heavily weighing pre-bubble where they were a five seed who was generally not playing as well as their record. They've looked way better in the bubble but you generally don't really want your model to overreact to small sample sizes, and there isn't really a good way to model a playoff environment that has literally never happened before. Since it thinks the Celtics have by far the best chance to actually make the finals and you can't win it without making it, that gives them a big edge over the western conference teams right now.

It definitely has them too high (and tbh I think 538 is kinda crappy in general) but it's also weird that so many people in this thread get into such a tizzy when people say that an objectively good Celtics team is good.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 17, 2020

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

ex post facho posted:

jokic on his way to the WCF

:horse:

I am Jokicus!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

The top reply is some classic-SA-level stuff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/sportsradiopd/status/1306615848451346432?s=20

I don't even remember who ESPN's third color person is after JVG/Jackson and Doris, so that's nice

It's still Hubie, I think? The regular season feels like to was 1000 years ago.

Vince has been good in studio type stuff, has he called a game before? He's probably still better at it than everyone they have except Doris but I also would have said that about Chris Webber

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MourningView posted:

Yeah it mostly is just because it hates Miami, which is reasonable if you're still heavily weighing pre-bubble where they were a five seed who was generally not playing as well as their record. They've looked way better in the bubble but you generally don't really want your model to overreact to small sample sizes, and there isn't really a good way to model a playoff environment that has literally never happened before. Since it thinks the Celtics have by far the best chance to actually make the finals and you can't win it without making it, that gives them a big edge over the western conference teams right now.

It definitely has them too high (and tbh I think 538 is kinda crappy in general) but it's also weird that so many people in this thread get into such a tizzy when people say that an objectively good Celtics team is good.

I am definitely incredibly biased by anti-Boston sentiment but I think people were mostly baffled by Boston not only being the favorite, but the favorite against the field (prior to the Game 1 loss)

Now it's giving the West teams a combined 29% chance of winning the finals

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Remember when Playoff Pee got locked down by Joe Ingles and they still traded a million picks for him

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

It's still Hubie, I think?

Oh yeah. Dude was alive for most of the Great Depression so probably a good time to start grooming his replacement

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Away all Goats posted:

Remember when Playoff Pee got locked down by Joe Ingles and they still traded a million picks for him

Friend I will fondly remember Joe Ingles fearlessly poo poo talking an alleged super star for an entire playoff series for the rest of my days.

That series was also funny because Russ somehow got really mad at Ricky Rubio of all people and kept trying to like full court press him and poo poo for no reason in the last two games.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

Yeah i think it's mostly just because it hated Miami, which is reasonable if you're still heavily weighing pre-bubble where they were a five seed who was generally not playing as well as their record. They've looked way better in the bubble but you generally don't really want your model to overreact to small sample sizes, and there isn't really a good way to model a playoff environment that has literally never happened before. Since it thinks the Celtics have by far the best chance to actually make the finals and you can't win it without making it, that gives them a big edge over the western conference teams right now.

It's not just that- their RAPTOR model thinks Miami is 45% to make the finals but 27% to win them, whereas the Lakers are 56% to make the finals but 16% to win them. I have no rational explanation for why it thinks the Heat are better than the Lakers

Edit: their model seems self-contradictory?? It gives the Lakers a higher % chance to make the finals than the Celtics (56 vs 55%) but it favors the Lakers only half a point over the Nuggets while the Celtics it gives 2.5 points over the Heat. Nonsense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kingcobweb posted:

It's not just that- their RAPTOR model thinks Miami is 45% to make the finals but 27% to win them, whereas the Lakers are 56% to make the finals but 16% to win them. I have no rational explanation for why it thinks the Heat are better than the Lakers

Okay then yeah that's just loving dumb. Nate Silver is a goober who should go away forever, I don't really know why I bothered trying to defend him lol

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Riven posted:

The top reply is some classic-SA-level stuff.

I love the double down after someone points out that this is from the Onion:

https://twitter.com/Brendelbored/status/1305986492184104961

Honestly can't tell if he's serious or not. It's exquisite.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
he's joking

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's completely SA to point out the joke as an ironic way to make humor even though it's not funny still is what I think Riven is saying

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

MourningView posted:

Okay then yeah that's just loving dumb. Nate Silver is a goober who should go away forever, I don't really know why I bothered trying to defend him lol

Stat predictions kind of fall apart as well when you factor in that in real life once Denver goes down 3-1 their chances of winning are 100%. Those kinds of models just aren't built to use the RMF (Reverse Momentum Factor, a new advanced stat I just created). Since 538 has the Lakers at 60-40 for the first few games, all the following games should be 70-30 Nuggets.

Riven fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 17, 2020

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Doltos posted:

It's completely SA to point out the joke as an ironic way to make humor even though it's not funny still is what I think Riven is saying

Yeah, about the time he starts calling things "cromulent" it's clear that the initial reply was a joke drier than the headline.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Miami has really turned into a different beast inside the bubble. Dragic playing like an all star again certainly helps.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

MourningView posted:

That’s Election Nate for you bb

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I know many of you fantasize about grinding Hubie Brown's spectacles to dust with your jackboot heel, but I'll be sad when he retires

Papes posted:

"Trump winning was technically built into the model," I wail as the Signal (my bully) dips my head into the Noise (the toilet)

i'm sleep deprived today

big boi fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 17, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It could also just be that if the Nuggets win the entire thing, it's an outcome that you'd expect less than once in 100 times. Like, give them 60% odds for each of the final three Clippers games, then 60-40 odds to beat the Lakers and Heat/Celtics. That's still just a 7% chance to win the title, and I don't think anyone disagrees with saying that's generous odds. If it's more like 40% for each of those events, it's about a 1% chance.

Riven posted:

Yeah, about the time he starts calling things "cromulent" it's clear that the initial reply was a joke drier than the headline.

Dang, they got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

538 has bad basketball stats; i’ve railed against them before so i’ll spare you all but what it boils down to is trying to create all in one stats are doomed to fail, and ones that try to incorporate regression for a predictive model are even worse

Papes posted:

i don’t think we should shame anyone for their physical appearance except for nate because jesus christ that loving hairline just shave it dude please