Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

They should not have shot the antimask guy in SD. Police shooting people is bad, even if it's them shooting bad people.

You don't get to be anti-police violence only when it's innocent people.

Now the point you want to make is that if he was a black man he would have been shot, which is true.

I want the police to be equally bad to everyone so that everyone understands that they're bad. I mean, I'd prefer they just not be bad, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Went to store today in PA and a couple would not put on a mask and when they were told they had to or they would not be able to purchase their items they said "wearing a mask is unconstitutional according to a federal judge so we will not wear one or be forced to wear one" the cashier called over the manager and said no mask no service and they left

This was what they were referring to

https://twitter.com/KDKA/status/1305542047022157826?s=20

Even though there is 0 mention of masks in this order

Gamestop lost their operating license because of Wolf, they're definitely helping push that case.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Pussy Boss posted:

This is how we get our ballots in Colorado, and it works just fine.

Voting in CO is fantastic, every state should use a similar system.

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

mdemone posted:

No state is just *sending* ballots to all registered voters. That would be the dumbest idea logistically, and massively wasteful.

Oregon’s been doing this very thing since before I moved here (aka at least 10 years).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I want the police to be equally bad to everyone so that everyone understands that they're bad. I mean, I'd prefer they just not be bad, of course.

They are literally bad because of inequity and white supremacy. White supremacy is most of the reason they are bad. White people understand they are good to whites and not to minorities. They just don't care about it, mostly.

Shooting more people isn't going to convince, anyone. We need to replace the police so far less people get shot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Went to store today in PA and a couple would not put on a mask and when they were told they had to or they would not be able to purchase their items they said "wearing a mask is unconstitutional according to a federal judge so we will not wear one or be forced to wear one" the cashier called over the manager and said no mask no service and they left

This was what they were referring to

https://twitter.com/KDKA/status/1305542047022157826?s=20

Even though there is 0 mention of masks in this order

this. the ruling as awful as it is. doesn't touch the mask mandate at all so the chuds are in the wrong again too.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mdemone posted:

No state is just *sending* ballots to all registered voters. That would be the dumbest idea logistically, and massively wasteful.

Literally the most populous state in the country is doing this.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so it looks like the new talking point in regards to the 'rona is "excess mortality"

can someone explain what that means, pls?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

so it looks like the new talking point in regards to the 'rona is "excess mortality"

How many people died in 2020 vs how many people would be expected to die given yearly death trends

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/08/trump-touts-misleading-and-flawed-excess-mortality-statistic/

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Why's that a right wing talking point? Excess mortality is a deviation from how many people normally die, based on previous years. There's a whoooole lot of it that isn't accounted for in the COVID statistics, which is why people think we're under counting its effects.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Voting in CO is fantastic, every state should use a similar system.

I get like a month to drop my ballot at any of a dozen locations in town. There's hardly any lines unless you wait til election day. Or I could mail my ballot if I choose. Fills me with rage when I see those 7-hour lines in places like Georgia.

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

Mr Interweb posted:

That the difference between the observed number of deaths and the expected number of deaths based on historical trends. It’s a way to track how many people may be dying of the Roni, but not being officially counted. The official count is only people who were diagnosed with the Roni. My grand-uncle, for example, died of “unspecified pneumonia”. Which is to say, he probably died of the Roni, but he wasn’t tested. He’ll still be counted in the excess deaths statistic.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah yes ignore the massive fire and look how small my poo poo on the floor is strat.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Grondoth posted:

Why's that a right wing talking point? Excess mortality is a deviation from how many people normally die, based on previous years. There's a whoooole lot of it that isn't accounted for in the COVID statistics, which is why people think we're under counting its effects.

It's because their trying to say "look at Europe's excess deaths, we're not so bad!" it's not any deeper than that.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. the ruling as awful as it is. doesn't touch the mask mandate at all so the chuds are in the wrong again too.

Not only does it not touch the mask mandate, it doesn't touch any mandate currently in place. AND it's unlikely to survive appeal - given that SCOTUS (well, Roberts) was unwilling to strike California's ban on in-person religious services there's no way they're going to strike shutdown rules.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
It's the New Yorker, so you'll be here for a bit, but holy gently caress what a miserable story. Abolish ICE. ACAB.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/09/21/the-man-who-refused-to-spy

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Literally the most populous state in the country is doing this.

Dang it y'all I corrected myself like two posts later, leave me alone :doh:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/donmoyn/status/1306618885962072069?s=19

Taxi drivers striking in NYC.

https://twitter.com/NYTWA/status/1306648894416318470?s=19

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 17, 2020

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Even if there wasn't a mask mandate, private businesses can require you wear one to enter. They can require you to wear a trilby if they want.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so it's a meaningless statistic? as i figured

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

beejay posted:

Even if there wasn't a mask mandate, private businesses can require you wear one to enter. They can require you to wear a trilby if they want.

When I ate at the Four Seasons in NYC some ten years ago, I had to borrow a jacket from them because the one I had was not fancy enough.

It’s kind of crazy what hill people decide they will die on and what issues they find important as soon as big daddy Trump wags his big fat stupid finger.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i feel like the fat lady recording the incident isn't getting enough exposure. why have a mask on if you're not going to properly wear it?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Wilbur Swain posted:

Trump retweeted this. Vought runs the OMB. It's the clearest association of patriotism (nationalism) to racism I think I've ever seen.
The OMB!

This is one example where "imagine if Trump's admin was competent" is truly nightmarish. Vought (when not busy hyping Citizen Starlight's entry to the cinematic universe) could push this markedly further. Right now the directive is for federal agencies (over 2m workers precovid), but with the power of the OMB, my understanding is it would be trivial to bar contractors who implement similar trainings for workers on federal contracts (more than 4m workers precovid).

Should Biden win but Dems fail to take the Senate (or fail to nuke the filibuster), the OMB is a strong lever for executive power. Obama used it to push higher minimum wage for federal contract workers and, I believe, some green initatives. However, I believe that this lever could be pushed even further. I want to stress that this may be completely off base and fully into "one weird trick" territory.

I don't know of a reason that the OMB lever couldn't be used to impact the entire company rather than just the employees working under contract. Federal legislation to ban the box and raise the minimum wage, for example, is long overdue. The Biden administration could repeat Obama's action and implement $15/hr minimum for the 4m contractors. If I'm correct, they could also effectively force that change onto the entire contractor's workforce and do similar for suppliers by preferentially awarding contracts to firms with a minimum wage of $15/hr and who ban the box (or have an approved plan on limiting emissions or whatever other priorities).

That could take the impact from 2m -> 6m -> everyone employeed by a business that supplies the government. Still wildly inferior to actual legislation, but much better than sitting on your hands when faced with obstruction.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

mdemone posted:

why do people cling to counterfactual poo poo like this so hard

like, multiple states do this every primary and general. it's not hard. stop listening to Republicans for your facts

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Mr Interweb posted:

so it's a meaningless statistic? as i figured

It's not a meaningless statistic, but the numbers Trump is claiming with regards to Europe make no drat sense.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Unoriginal Name posted:

why do people cling to counterfactual poo poo like this so hard

like, multiple states do this every primary and general. it's not hard. stop listening to Republicans for your facts

I immediately realized my error, if you'll continue to read that page.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Both of those cops need better training. It should take one of them using a proper wrist lock to get him to comply. (I could easily take him out of the room and I do aikido for gently caress sake).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LionArcher posted:

Both of those cops need better training. It should take one of them using a proper wrist lock to get him to comply. (I could easily take him out of the room and I do aikido for gently caress sake).

Whoa, are you saying the police in this country aren't well trained and resort to violence and brute force too easily?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Slo-Tek posted:

It's the New Yorker, so you'll be here for a bit, but holy gently caress what a miserable story. Abolish ICE. ACAB.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/09/21/the-man-who-refused-to-spy

That was a hell off a read thanks for posting it.

:acab:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

LionArcher posted:

Look at where the guy's hand is relative to the officer's gun at around 2:10. Yeah. They need a lot of training.

e: lol. the cop even brushes the guy's hand across his service weapon

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 17, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bicyclops posted:

Whoa, are you saying the police in this country aren't well trained and resort to violence and brute force too easily?

No, he's saying they didn't resort to violence correctly. The guy is fighting back too much and too well.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1306667853106630656?s=19

Auntie Fuh

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Chris Wray's gonna get fired

"Russia is interfering with our election for realizes" and "antifa isn't actually an organization" are WRONGTHINK and they will be PUNISHED

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chris Wray must have the worst job

He was the replacement for Comey and has had to deal with Trump constantly attacking the FBI, and now he has to deal with Barr telling him that Antifa is the greatest threat to America ever

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I don't know what he's talking about. I'm the CEO of Antifa. Hail satan.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Midgetskydiver posted:

The concentration camps in Nazi Germany did not become extermination centers until 1945 and the transition was essentially one written order, which the camp operators performed with gusto.

In other words, the distinction isn't pronounced. The difference between a person that will oversee / stand guard at a concentration camp and one that will kill everyone being held in a concentration camp is non existent.

This is bordering on holocaust denial virtue signalling. It's also offensive to the polish and soviet prisoners who were experimented on for the most efficient killing methods.

Go watch: Auschwitz: The Nazis and the 'Final Solution'

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grondoth posted:

Chris Wray's gonna get fired

"Russia is interfering with our election for realizes" and "antifa isn't actually an organization" are WRONGTHINK and they will be PUNISHED

Next thing you know, the guy will suggest that critical race theory isn't un-American or that Donald Trump is not very smart.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah. most federal enforcement types(gently caress even the major police departments and military) view the nazis as a much much bigger threat than antifa or whatever. "antifa" only punches nazis and sometimes graffiti property damage. nazis shoot and bomb random poo poo and all the other terror attack poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Someone should photoshop the polar express into an ANTIFA super soldier train