Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Picard got a promotion to captain of the Stargazer when he was 28, according to MemAlpha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Mariner was 100% a Wesley Crusher-esque wunderkind who was in the academy at 12-years-old and could have been a captain at 18 but suffered burnout or something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TomR posted:

I think the point they are trying to make is that Mariner could be a captain already if she had worked towards that. I kinda feel like a lot of the issues she has with her mother are being missed or discounted by people. They really do explain her character.

Her character is completely understandable. She's not very complex. That's not the problem. There are three problems:

1) Mariner has not grown as a character.
2) Mariner in her current static form, should not want to be in Starfleet. The show has even pointed to this multiple times but doesn't have a hint of an answer.
3) Everyone else in the show should consider Mariner a loser. She's wasted all her potential and actively rejects the notion that she has to do any self-improvement (yeah this episode we got a glimpse in that direction, but no movement whatsoever). Mariner isn't just an annoying character, that refusal to seek to better herself is literally the opposite of everything that Star Trek is supposed to be about. Now it's okay to have a character in Star Trek that represents the antithesis of the show's core values, but Lower Decks doesn't do this, Lower Decks rewards Mariner for this behaviour, putting no consequences on her whatsoever and making her effortlessly popular with everyone.

Compare contrast with Boimler's B-story in this episode;(vague, but spoilers I guess) he takes a risk to help someone and it goes badly. He then takes a risk to help someone else and it also looks like it's gone badly. Then it's revealed he did the right thing all along. Boimler's trying to do the right thing, doesn't quite have the hang of it yet, and consequentially suffers some bumps along the road. Characters actually react positively and negatively to what he does. At the end of the day his faith in following the rules is rewarded. It's not perfect, but there's actually a story arc there

e: the way they developed Picard's character is a bit weird in retrospect because everyone remembers him as 'the Diplomat Captain' yet his backstory of how he got promoted is an absolutely metal 'my ship was getting blown up in a battle and half the crew were dead and I took charge of the shattered bridge and on the spot invented the battle tactic of charging the enemy point black and alpha striking him'. I almost want to see a do-over of TNG where they leant a bit more into the idea that Picard is getting the flagship precisely because he's seen his share of blood spilt and is at a point where he doesn't want to see any more (to counter-balance the officers who are all young go-getters who want to make a name for themselves with the Federation's most powerful ship).

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 17, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I totally thought that we were heading into The Thing territory, and they kinda faked me out. Then I figured we were headed into The Fly territory with Rutherford's transporters, but they faked me out on that, too.

I love seeing another one of Lt. Arax's species!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Alchenar posted:

Her character is completely understandable. She's not very complex. That's not the problem. There are three problems:

1) Mariner has not grown as a character.
2) Mariner in her current static form, should not want to be in Starfleet. The show has even pointed to this multiple times but doesn't have a hint of an answer.
3) Everyone else in the show should consider Mariner a loser. She's wasted all her potential and actively rejects the notion that she has to do any self-improvement (yeah this episode we got a glimpse in that direction, but no movement whatsoever). Mariner isn't just an annoying character, that refusal to seek to better herself is literally the opposite of everything that Star Trek is supposed to be about. Now it's okay to have a character in Star Trek that represents the antithesis of the show's core values, but Lower Decks doesn't do this, Lower Decks rewards Mariner for this behaviour, putting no consequences on her whatsoever and making her effortlessly popular with everyone.

Compare contrast with Boimler's B-story in this episode;(vague, but spoilers I guess) he takes a risk to help someone and it goes badly. He then takes a risk to help someone else and it also looks like it's gone badly. Then it's revealed he did the right thing all along. Boimler's trying to do the right thing, doesn't quite have the hang of it yet, and consequentially suffers some bumps along the road. Characters actually react positively and negatively to what he does. At the end of the day his faith in following the rules is rewarded. It's not perfect, but there's actually a story arc there

e: the way they developed Picard's character is a bit weird in retrospect because everyone remembers him as 'the Diplomat Captain' yet his backstory of how he got promoted is an absolutely metal 'my ship was getting blown up in a battle and half the crew were dead and I took charge of the shattered bridge and on the spot invented the battle tactic of charging the enemy point black and alpha striking him'. I almost want to see a do-over of TNG where they leant a bit more into the idea that Picard is getting the flagship precisely because he's seen his share of blood spilt and is at a point where he doesn't want to see any more (to counter-balance the officers who are all young go-getters who want to make a name for themselves with the Federation's most powerful ship).

Why can't she just be a kick-rear end ensign?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The whole thing is kind of weird anyway. He's promoted from helm to captain, but he was second officer while on the helm? Also he was first officer somewhere else, somehow?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Heck in Star Trek, Kirk got promoted from cadet to second in command of the Enterprise, then captain, but maybe jumps like that only happen in alternate universes

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That was a weird-rear end situation where they decided to crew the half-finished flagship with cadets "because emergency".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

The whole thing is kind of weird anyway. He's promoted from helm to captain, but he was second officer while on the helm? Also he was first officer somewhere else, somehow?

MemAlpha's got u covered fam

quote:

It is unlikely Picard was promoted directly to the rank of captain as he was assigned command of Stargazer, but more likely to the rank of commander before being promoted to the higher grade later. In accordance with naval rank tradition, one does not have to hold a captain's rank to command a vessel (most were actually commanded by officers holding the rank of commander), and anyone who is commanding is called 'Captain' regardless of rank.
Also while not explicitly mentioned, it is implied during Cmdr. Riker's first meeting with him that Picard had previously served as a first officer before being promoted to Captain, a position he would have served simultaneously to serving as the flight controller of the Stargazer. However, Q's explicit reference to Picard's taking charge of the Stargazer bridge when the captain was killed was in the context of his boldness in seizing opportunities; if he was the first officer, taking command would have been unremarkable, as it would have been expected of him. It is possible that he was not immediately assigned as captain of the vessel, but the incident impressed Starfleet Command enough for them to make him first officer, and he was awarded command some time later.
The length of Picard's command of the Stargazer is from the Star Trek: The Next Generation Writers'/Directors' Guide. The year he took command is derived from "The Battle", in which it is stated Picard lost the Stargazer in 2355.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The shot of the three people in Captain Pike wheelchairs with Hawaiian shirts draped over them killed me.

Also, one of Ramsey’s crew was called Pratchett (either the Trill or the one that looked like Jaylah’s species from ST Beyond), which made made me smile.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snow Cone Capone posted:

MemAlpha's got u covered fam
That doesn't actually clear it up, it just sort of finds a way for him to have been his own first officer while still a Commander.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I'm glad that for once, sending the dog to live on a farm turned out well.

Also, Division 14 ship:

It has an NX registry number :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Also, Division 14 ship:

It has an NX registry number :3:

Yes! God this show is made by Trek nerds. I love it.

Also, the USS Osler, named after Sir William Osler, one of the four founding professors of Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

That doesn't actually clear it up, it just sort of finds a way for him to have been his own first officer while still a Commander.

First/second officer aren't ranks, so a Commander can be either first or second officer, or also captain.

He was 2O on the Stargazer, but took command during the battle, at which point, because he was commanding the ship, was called "Captain" according to naval tradition, but his actual rank was probably Lieutenant Commander, with a first officer Commander (who presumably was also killed during the battle). Afterwards he was promoted to Commander and given the position of First Officer on the Stargazer, and then eventually promoted to Captain in both rank and positon.

e: it's confusing since the article talks about naval tradition, but IIRC when Riker or Crusher take the conn, the others don't refer to them as Captain (I might be wrong though)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 18, 2020

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Nebula-class USS Prometheus was captained by a Lt. Commander (played by the actor who hated being Data's first officer in the Sela episodes, notably that TNG episode not only had Lt. Commander Data given a command but La Forge was the original choice, all temporary) Of course, the reason here is probably because Sisko was only a Commander at this point and having a captain on the ship would have outranked him and they'd be in charge.

Also since watching the animated series on Nickelodeon is one of my earliest Trek memories, seeing an Edosian was cool

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you would like to quote this post!

If you already have three gang tags, tell me which one you'd like to lose. If you don't want to lose any proceed w/ your own caution. The limit of gang tags is nebulous and you may get them axed by another mod or admin if they find your av/tag/text combo too excessive.

If you want your current tags rearranged or your text changed, I can do that as well.

I apologize ahead of time for the spam this might cause. It's just easier for me to organize and make sure I don't miss anybody! Feel free to quote me in your regular-rear end discussion posts if you were already going to say smth so we can keep this at least kind of neat.

thx in advance

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you already have three gang tags, tell me which one you'd like to lose. If you don't want to lose any proceed w/ your own caution. The limit of gang tags is nebulous and you may get them axed by another mod or admin if they find your av/tag/text combo too excessive.

If you want your current tags rearranged or your text changed, I can do that as well.

I apologize ahead of time for the spam this might cause. It's just easier for me to organize and make sure I don't miss anybody! Feel free to quote me in your regular-rear end discussion posts if you were already going to say smth so we can keep this at least kind of neat.

thx in advance

e: if you are doing AV fuckery, would it be possible to remove my AV's text? Just the text, not the image. If not, all good!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

esperterra posted:

quote this post!

Glory to your house.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: if you are doing AV fuckery, would it be possible to remove my AV's text? Just the text, not the image. If not, all good!

Can do!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Nebula-class USS Prometheus was captained by a Lt. Commander (played by the actor who hated being Data's first officer in the Sela episodes

That's Timothy Carhart, also known as "the stiff" in Ghostbusters. :pseudo:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVmNjtyw5Js

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

Well, why not, I've been posting on these Trek threads for... actually y'know what I'm not checking on that, I'll just take the gang tag thank you!

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's strange to me that Starfleet would have 'substitute captains'. Why send current captains of ships to covert missions when they can just send these teams as commandos?

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

Thank you

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

I would like a tag please, I think I'm big enough of a star trek nerd :3:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

i dunno which one to drop, but i'll figure it out in a sec.
animal rights terrorist or born to diy if you have to drop one.

The Dog turning into the cube had me rolling. I don't know why.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 18, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

e: oops

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

experience bij

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

Glory to you... And your posts.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snow Cone Capone posted:

First/second officer aren't ranks, so a Commander can be either first or second officer, or also captain.

He was 2O on the Stargazer, but took command during the battle, at which point, because he was commanding the ship, was called "Captain" according to naval tradition, but his actual rank was probably Lieutenant Commander, with a first officer Commander (who presumably was also killed during the battle). Afterwards he was promoted to Commander and given the position of First Officer on the Stargazer, and then eventually promoted to Captain in both rank and positon.

e: it's confusing since the article talks about naval tradition, but IIRC when Riker or Crusher take the conn, the others don't refer to them as Captain (I might be wrong though)
Alright so you're confusing a few things here and I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The person with the conn isn't the captain, they're the "conning officer" (or "flight controller" in the Memory Alpha quote) and are always junior. The idea is that the captain says "go to Vulcan" and the conn says "helm: lay in course for Vulcan, chief engineer: MORE DOGS!" etc. and does the granular poo poo while avoiding confusion about where orders are coming from. However, IRL the captain can always just take the conn so... yeah. In Star Trek due to tech, the conn is synonymous with the helm. There's no point in the captain saying "go to Vulcan" and the conn then telling the helm about the dogs etc, just make the helm the conn. Job done. This leads to the weirdness of it switching from left hand drive to right hand drive between TOS and TNG, with the navigation being rolled into helm and ops sitting where helm was because... :shrug:

What we can assume from the details we've got is that Picard, as helm officer, had the conn when the captain was incapacitated. He then took it upon himself to issue his own orders and did whatever. This being "bold", he can't have been first (XO) or second (Star Trek invention) officer at the time, unless both of those were killed or not on the bridge. Based on what he says, it wasn't that special anyway, so perhaps it was his flying that was bold? Either way, it gets him command of it. Memory Alpha says he retained command for 22 years, so we're left with him somehow managing to cram a first officer position into what remained of 2333, or we have to assume he ended up getting busted down to first officer again on someone else's ship in 2353 for losing the Stargazer before we know he was in command of something else in 2363.

Which actually might end up being the most sensible explanation, were someone to want to canonise it. "The USS Hood's first officer got alien crotch-worms. You're replacing him until we decide if you're going to space jail over this maybe starting a war". The real reason is likely "we forgot".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

So as you can see from gross adjusted assets tabulation in column J, the net value of the land acquisition ...

WAS ACTUALLY ZERO!! :haw:

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

Beam Boim Bij me up!

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

I'll side with big Bij.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:emptyquote:

Despite making it myself, I've never really been that fond of the Sky Kids tag, so axe that in favour of Bij and keep Dash and CRISP WHITE SHEETS

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

Experience J-I-B?
Yeah, you know me!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

Just to make sure everyone's covered in case they miss this post or don't respond, here's the complied list of everyone who initially pledged for Bij:

AntherUslessPoster
twistedmentat
Bilirubin
Grand Fromage
Snow Cone Capone
FlamingLiberal
Sash!
MikeJF
xerxus
Snorb
Lizard Combatant
Tarquinn
Brute Squad
Drone
Big Mean Jerk
Senor Tron
Banana Canada
The Bloop
Martytoof
Statutory Ape
Sarcastr0
CaptainSkinny
Arglebargle III
MichiganCubbie
OB_Juan
Chip McFuck
Dysgenesis
BooDooBoo
Binary Badger
Delsaber
Sardikar
Hubbardologist
nine-gear crow

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

oh dang

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

I wouldn't mind sampling the Bij experience, it's 2020 after all.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

It is me, the one who is moving now.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

You will be remembered with honor. :gowron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance