Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Changed the volume spacer in the rear shock of my Hei Hei from 0.8 in^2 to 0.4 (0.8 is what it came with and the 2nd biggest one you can put in there). Pretty simple process- let out air, unscrew air can, take spacer out, put new one in, refill. Didn't even have to remove the shock or unbolt anything. In case you were wondering, a larger spacer means a lower air volume which makes the spring rate more progressive. An air spring is always going to be progressive because volume is getting smaller as the suspension compresses so pressure goes up so spring rate goes up. Suspension geometry also effects this but anyway I was feeling like my spring rate was too progressive and this tones it down a bit.

At recommended sag the rear seemed way too soft compared to the front, and then bumping up the spring rate to get a better feeling balance I wasn't going through all the travel even on some pretty rough stuff. This way I'm thinking I can keep a more supported, firmer feeling rear suspension and actually use all of it. Still fine tuning and today was pretty casual but it seems better. There's also a 0.6 spacer if it turns out I went too far. Was thinking about just going to that but wanted to make sure I made a big enough change to notice.

The front doesn't seem like it needs any changes to the spacers. Feels plush enough over small stuff and doesn't bottom out easily. I would change from the grip to a fit4 damper if I did anything to have a low speed compression knob and possibly the 2-position lockout. The standard grip damper just has a 3 position knob and for me at least the middle just seems a little too harsh and not worth ever using.

Also put it on the scale. Slightly lighter than I was expecting but not XC bike light. With pedals, bottle cages, garmin, and 2.3 DHF it's 28lb 14oz. I was afraid it was going to be over 30. The descendant cranks and steel chainring are heavy as poo poo so swapping those out would save some weight and I do like the feel of carbon bars a lot better so I suppose I could get this down a bit if I wanted. On the fence about keeping it vs going to a lighter more XC bike like the scalpel. Maybe just keep it and get a new hardtail too.

Anyway here's a picture

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whahappen
Mar 27, 2010

Spime Wrangler posted:

Dropping a message here cus you don't have PMs - I'll be the photographer riding a silver trek, see you Friday!

About to set out for the check in! I'll keep an eye out for ya, say hi and stuff. Wooo! So excited, gonna learn lots.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

jamal posted:

Also put it on the scale. Slightly lighter than I was expecting but not XC bike light. With pedals, bottle cages, garmin, and 2.3 DHF it's 28lb 14oz. I was afraid it was going to be over 30. The descendant cranks and steel chainring are heavy as poo poo so swapping those out would save some weight and I do like the feel of carbon bars a lot better so I suppose I could get this down a bit if I wanted. On the fence about keeping it vs going to a lighter more XC bike like the scalpel. Maybe just keep it and get a new hardtail too.

Anyway here's a picture

More bikes = better than less.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I can't seem to find this model/year/colourway combo. Anyone know more about it or have a link? The price they're asking seems pretty low, under $1000, and I want to do some research before driving the hour there.

http://imgur.com/a/bGqRxBG

For example, the image says Enduro Expert but the 2015 had different fork and rd https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Specialized/Enduro-Expert-Carbon-650b,15208

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 12, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

I can't seem to find this model/year/colourway combo. Anyone know more about it or have a link? The price they're asking seems pretty low, under $1000, and I want to do some research before driving the hour there.

For example, the image says Enduro Expert but the 2015 had different fork and rd https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Specialized/Enduro-Expert-Carbon-650b,15208

I think that's the 2014 Specialized Enduro Expert.

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/2014-specialized-enduro-comp-26.270058/

I have a 2011 spec enduro expert. It's a great bike but there is an upper limit to what I would pay for a 26" wheeled bike.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

VelociBacon posted:

I think that's the 2014 Specialized Enduro Expert.

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/2014-specialized-enduro-comp-26.270058/

I have a 2011 spec enduro expert. It's a great bike but there is an upper limit to what I would pay for a 26" wheeled bike.

Thanks a bunch! In one of the pics there seems to be small nicks / pitting, not sure how worried I should be about that on 6 year old carbon.

I feel like $900 is a decent price though, no? I've been a roadie my whole biking life but the area I live in now is much more mtb oriented. Just worried if I'll be sad about 10 speed and no dropper if I go with this bike.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks a bunch! In one of the pics there seems to be small nicks / pitting, not sure how worried I should be about that on 6 year old carbon.

I feel like $900 is a decent price though, no? I've been a roadie my whole biking life but the area I live in now is much more mtb oriented. Just worried if I'll be sad about 10 speed and no dropper if I go with this bike.

I paid $1500 CAD (about 1200 USD?) for my 2011 3 years ago. You can always add a dropper very easily and drivetrains are adaptable, the only thing is the 26" wheel that you can't get away from on that bike (I think it's fine).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

New bike day.

First time I've built a bike from the frame up. One could say I learned a lot about how bikes work.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Nice job! What shock is that?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

Nice job! What shock is that?

Suntour Tri-Air. Cousin (sibling?) of the DVO Topaz.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 13, 2020

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
MTB noob checking in with a question - I've noticed a few times on (small) jumps that sometimes my front wheel gets kicked and turns left or right. Normally I seem to get away with it but yesterday on a particularly jumpy trail it sent me over the bars on landing. I got an awesome looking bloody arm but since then I've hit every jump kinda gingerly and it sucks.

Is there any obvious advice for this? I'm pretty terrible at bunny hops and tend to yank the front up on drops etc so figure this is probably part of my problem.

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 13, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

MTB noob checking in with a question - I've noticed a few times on (small) jumps that sometimes my front wheel gets kicked and turns left or right. Normally it seems to work out ok, but yesterday on a particularly jumpy trail it sent me over the bars on landing. I got an awesome looking bloody arm but since then I've hit every jump kinda gingerly and it sucks.

Is there any obvious advice for this? I'm pretty terrible at bunny hops and tend to yank the front up on drops etc so figure this is probably part of my problem.

It's hard to say but from your description it seems like you're playing too much of a part in the jumping if that makes sense. Ideally when you're rolling up the lip of a jump you're very neutral on the bike, eyes up and ready to spot your landing, knees and arms bent and relaxed, maybe loading the suspension a little through your legs by deweighting the bike just before the jump so when your weight comes back down onto the bike it's at the same time as you roll up the lip. You basically want the bike to continue to arc up into the air following the curve of the lip. If you just stand on your bike and sorta bounce up and down as slow as you can through your legs, you want to be at that weightless point when you're leaving the lip of the jump.

My advice is to try to be aware of the whole bike when you're jumping (not just the front half that you can see) and to focus on being as relaxed as possible. There shouldn't be any kind of handlebar input for 95% of jumps. Focus on deweighting the bike so you float through an arc onto the landing.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

toiletbrush posted:

MTB noob checking in with a question - I've noticed a few times on (small) jumps that sometimes my front wheel gets kicked and turns left or right. Normally I seem to get away with it but yesterday on a particularly jumpy trail it sent me over the bars on landing. I got an awesome looking bloody arm but since then I've hit every jump kinda gingerly and it sucks.

Jumps or drops? The technique is different. This is a really good video on good drop technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6iDi7J68Ls

Also watch Kate Courtney, she nails it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEwmabMJeOH/

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I’ve definitely noticed (as a MTB newb) that my front wheel tends to move off center when I’m pulling the front of the bike up to hit jumps that I don’t otherwise have the speed to do. I’ve had the experience where I almost didn’t get the wheel oriented correctly before hitting the ground and it was very concerning.

I think I’ve also noticed that it happens more when the jumps aren’t perfectly straight so I’ve stopped pulling the bike up for jumps on any amount of curve.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

It's hard to say but from your description it seems like you're playing too much of a part in the jumping if that makes sense.
Thanks, this might be my issue, I generally sail through ok most jumps but when I'm not hitting very quickly I still tend to yank the front of the bike up.

vote_no posted:

I’ve definitely noticed (as a MTB newb) that my front wheel tends to move off center when I’m pulling the front of the bike up to hit jumps that I don’t otherwise have the speed to do. I’ve had the experience where I almost didn’t get the wheel oriented correctly before hitting the ground and it was very concerning.
Yeah, this is right after a berm where I'm not confident enough to really hit it fast enough.

quote:

I think I’ve also noticed that it happens more when the jumps aren’t perfectly straight so I’ve stopped pulling the bike up for jumps on any amount of curve.
The trail where I came off is pretty straight after the berm, but the jump itself isn't perpendicular across the track, its almost diagonal, so might be the same issue. Btw when I say jump I mean a little thing that's maybe 8" high at most.

VacaGrande posted:

Jumps or drops? The technique is different. This is a really good video on good drop technique:

Also watch Kate Courtney, she nails it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEwmabMJeOH/
On drops I'm generally ok, I just mentioned it because it's the same issue where I yank the handlebars up when I don't feel like I'm going quick enough, rather than shifting my weight.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Wistful of Dollars posted:

New bike day.

First time I've built a bike from the frame up. One could say I learned a lot about how bikes work.

Nice!

Im waiting on a new frame for my bikes direct bike that has a super goofy frame. Looking forward to having a modern geometry frame that won’t kick me over even when I feel like my butt is over the rear tire.

Where did you source parts from?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Moot point, it was FCFS and someone else got there just before me 🙃

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

2500' of vert in 4 miles is a lot (the 1500' in 1.7 was really something). My GF suggested the trail. To her credit she did the whole thing, I think she pushed her bike the last 1.25 miles to the top. She said she was committed to topping out. The downhill was pretty fun at least.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Nice!

Im waiting on a new frame for my bikes direct bike that has a super goofy frame. Looking forward to having a modern geometry frame that won’t kick me over even when I feel like my butt is over the rear tire.

Where did you source parts from?

All over the place. Almost everything I got on sale or second hand.

I used PB buy and sell for a lot of things. I got the suspension from Suntour as they had a sale on at the time and the rest mostly from Jenson or direct on sale from manufactures. Whole thing was about $2600 US.

Oh, and I know about going to modern geo. I need to take a side-by-side photo but the bike it replaced was a 1996 XC hardtail. It amazes me how much more capable this thing is going down. I go too slow because I'm used to not being able to monster truck through things like I can now.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 14, 2020

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

If you haven't already caught Remy's new video riding insanely steep lines on the North Shore, this is a pro click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvE9VvBL17Y.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Got most of my new frame built ..

Getting rid of the ole ball smasher 9000 .. man that frame was high!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It has been too smokey to ride/leave the house since LABOR DAY and I AM GOING TO loving LOSE IT!!

The very end of easy to get in a solid ride after work season and I'm missing it! ARGH!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

c o p p e r h a r b o r c l i n i c

technical climbing instruction!

hucks in the rain!

my man Whahappen sending it deep!

monster berms!

monster rolldown-berms!

pumptrack sessions!

good weekend, few injuries, no shuttles, no indoors, lots of pedaling, and big progression for a ton of people.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Ugh I need to do a skills class

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Levitate posted:

Ugh I need skills

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Spime Wrangler posted:

monster berms!

Is this Overflow? It's a great picture.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Does anyone know where to find a replacement cap for a Camelbak reservoir (Crux 3L)? Camelbak sells replacement caps, but it seems only for bottles. I don't want to spend money on a whole new reservoir unless needed.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/accessories/caps

Whahappen
Mar 27, 2010

vote_no posted:

Is this Overflow? It's a great picture.

Hell yea it is! The pic after that one might be even better. I’ll share more thoughts later, the the whole clinic weekend was amazing! Spime is a very cool dude that takes awesome pictures. Everybody should at least entertain a trip up to Copper Harbor, specially if you’re anywhere in the rather flat Midwest. It’s totally different in the UP.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Whahappen posted:

Hell yea it is! The pic after that one might be even better. I’ll share more thoughts later, the the whole clinic weekend was amazing! Spime is a very cool dude that takes awesome pictures. Everybody should at least entertain a trip up to Copper Harbor, specially if you’re anywhere in the rather flat Midwest. It’s totally different in the UP.

The thing about the UP too is it is not just Copper Harbor. Tech Trail, Marquette Mountain. and swedetown are all good too. Copper Harbor is freaking great though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

c o p p e r h a r b o r c l i n i c

monster berms!

good weekend, few injuries, no shuttles, no indoors, lots of pedaling, and big progression for a ton of people.

Excellent to see you looking at the exit of the corner as you approach - this is one of the things that I find makes a big difference for people getting used to aggressive cornering/bike park style berms. It's a basic concept in motor racing but I notice very few people doing it on bikes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

me your dad posted:

Does anyone know where to find a replacement cap for a Camelbak reservoir (Crux 3L)? Camelbak sells replacement caps, but it seems only for bottles. I don't want to spend money on a whole new reservoir unless needed.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/accessories/caps

Have you tried contacting them directly? With my Osprey packs have needed new fiddly bits they've usually sent one right over.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Whahappen posted:

Everybody should at least entertain a trip up to Copper Harbor, specially if you’re anywhere in the rather flat Midwest. It’s totally different in the UP.

I’ve only done stuff in the Keweenaw but my understanding is that Duluth has a lot of fun trails too.

I’ve also heard that Rock Solid has been building a bunch of trails down in LaCrosse.

Plus Minneapolis has Lebanon Hills and what I hear is a cool system developing downtown in Theodore Wirth Park.

So the Midwest has some good options outside of Michigan (it seems). It feels like it’s a great time to have gotten into biking, as new fun trail systems seem to be cropping up all over.

Now if only this virus would go away so I could go ride them all...

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

The UP definitely has a ton of crazy-good riding of all styles, mostly around Marquette and the Keweenaw. Lots of oldschool hand-built and lots of newschool machine-built. The trail systems really vary a lot based on the topography, substrate, builder, and construction so it's worth hitting up each location. Marquette now has the North Trails (mellow flow, some gnarly DH), Harlow Lake system (tech, rock rolls), South Trails/Mqt Mountain (all kinds of stuff), Ispheming & Negaunee's RAMBA system (hard oldschool handbuilt), and a greenfield newschool build going on right now in Big Bay. There's probably 150 miles of singletrack just in the Marquette area. Minnesota has a load of trails being built in the "Arrowhead" region, with millions being invested in the Hibbing/Chisholm area to redevelop old mine sites, a Rock Solid build out at Giant's Ridge, the Duluth networks, and a new system going in on the North Shore out past Two Harbors slated to open next summer, and those are just the works-in-progress I know about off the top of my head.

Anywhere that can afford it is throwing up trails as fast as they can and I know Rock Solid is doing a ton of work. Last I heard they're the biggest trail contractor in the country and are hiring all the time. Honestly it's a lot of work keeping up with them because they move so fast and have such huge vision that if it came from anyone else you'd laugh them out of the room. Like a couple years ago they just went out and bought half a mountain in order to build their own bike park and now there's about 8 miles of the freshest flow trails out there.

Copper Harbor's niche is that it's a park-the-car-for-the-weekend destination with pumptrack-quality XC, bike-park gravity riding, and extremely easy shuttling. Almost all the trails are newschool machine-built and hand flow to you on a silver platter. We get a lot of attention for that but there's a ton of other awesome riding of all varieties and I try to point people towards the other trail systems as a great way to break up their trip. For example, if you're coming from Duluth you pass probably the most technically challenging trails in the UP at the Adventure Mine.

We're really living in a MTB renaissance and it's pretty cool that you can hardly spit without hitting a new, kickass trail network.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Machine built sucks. Flow sucks.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

n8r posted:

Counterpoint: wrong, it’s good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I spent 3.5h putting on Cushcores and tires. You absolutely have to wedge the bead down to the center channel to have any hope of getting the whole bead over. I think soapy water is also key to pumping the bead back to the hook — trying to physically wrench the bead didn’t work.

These better be worth it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

n8r posted:

Continuing your tradition of bad opinions I see

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I like variety, myself. Some punchy, technical climbs with chunky descents? Sure! A quick downhill with a long run up the next hill where I can corner and keep pace? Alright! Some easy sections with cheap thrills and a few features? Awesome! A nice family ride on the towpath with a conversational pace and stops when needed? Let's go!

Just ride for miles and smiles and don't worry about what everyone else likes. There's no such thing as guilty pleasures, only pleasures.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Machine built trails are too wide and too smooth. Flow us fun for about two corners then I want a different kind of corner after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Rode a modern geometry frame for the first time today. Soooo glad I swapped that goofy bikes direct frame for the ragley Marley another goon found.

It felt odd at first but it’s like butter on the trails now.

Edit: also not having a top bar that separates my balls when flat footing it is nice too.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 18, 2020