Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
I mean, if you want to ignore the 20-odd years of actual election results where the Green Party had regular access to like 85-90% of voters' ballots and whiffed it every time, then ok sure, this year definitely would've been their year to hit 5% with Howie Hawkins, a candidate so mediocre that even Susan Sarandon isn't voting for him in whichever solid blue state she lives in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Overturning Roe V Wade would destroy the republican party.

Of course they're gonna do it anyway at the first opportunity because the generation that was capable of understanding that because they weren't fully brainwashed is dying.

Their next target would be legal contraception. Don't think it would destroy the conservatives.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Seriously, at what point do the Green Party's failures become the Green Party's fault?

At the point where objections to their presence on the ballot materially preserve open and fair elections rather than limit them. For example, if there was a risk of Wisconsin or Pennsylvania voters being unsure of the actual identity of who they were being asked to vote for. The point at which it's reasonable to try to kick them off the ballot is if they've violated the spirit of the law and there's actual resulting concerns about the integrity of the election.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

It was submitted before the deadline, but it was submitted via fax and was therefore able to be ignored by notaries until after the deadline, which counts as them missing the deadline for unexplained reasons.

nah, that's not quite it. they needed to send in the affidavits for both candidates appearing on the ballot with the signature petitions and have it filed in person

they didn't bother sending in the actual candidate affidavit for the vice presidential nominee and only faxed over the presidential nominee completely independent of the signatures

even in the one ruling they got in their favor for putting them back on the ballot despite loving up, they had to drop the vice presidential candidate off the ballots entirely because they botched that one so hard

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm sure it's the Democrats' fault that the Greens ignored multiple requests to provide their vice presidential nominee's address in Wisconsin so that the ballots could properly be updated.

Seriously, at what point do the Green Party's failures become the Green Party's fault?

at the same point when the only barriers to be on a ballot are the ones to keep an election fair and free. There was zero 'fraud' or 'confusion' in a vp address changing within the same city during petitioning, nobody contested the signatures themselves.

To put it in perspective, do you think if Harris moved during the petitioning (not an issue because rules like these protect the wealthy who have things like home ownership, obviously) any state would throw the party entirely off the ballot? If they did would you go 'yep that's what ya get'?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Their next target would be legal contraception. Don't think it would destroy the conservatives.

Yeah but if you think about it there would be way less single issue contraception voters than there are single issue abortion voters.

Some of them hate women, sure, but a lot of it is pure shock value and doctored images of fetuses.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

To put it in perspective, do you think if Harris moved during the petitioning (not an issue because rules like these protect the wealthy who have things like home ownership, obviously) any state would throw the party entirely off the ballot? If they did would you go 'yep that's what ya get'?

Do you really think this Green candidate moved because they were transient?

I get that you hate the Democratic party but anyone who does campaign for a living and wants to be taken seriously can follow the usually very low bars to entry into the race.

edit: That's why you get way more signatures than are needed. It's why you make sure you follow signature rules and make copies of signature sheets. It's why you read the rules. This is true from city councilor to President.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

I wonder if this might also be self-sabotaging for the Dems because it might mean people who would have voted Green for president but Democratic downballot simply don't turn up.

Judging by the polling we have seen (Howie hanging around 1% in various polled states) I'm not super worried about it. Anecdotally, I have been calling and texting Enviro Dems for several weeks and have only run into 2 people who have stated they won't volunteer because of either being aggrieved about Bernie or upset that Biden is not Left enough. I've spoken with several hundred people at this point so that, again anecdotally, roughly matches with what the polling is showing. These are Dems from lists that are explicitly flagged as folks overtly concerned with the environment, so I'd expect it to be pretty fertile ground for the Greens.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It's super cool of you to not actually engage with the discussion at hand and instead pretend we're arguing about something entirely different

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

How are u posted:

Judging by the polling we have seen (Howie hanging around 1% in various polled states) I'm not super worried about it. Anecdotally, I have been calling and texting Enviro Dems for several weeks and have only run into 2 people who have stated they won't volunteer because of either being aggrieved about Bernie or upset that Biden is not Left enough. I've spoken with several hundred people at this point so that, again anecdotally, roughly matches with what the polling is showing. These are Dems from lists that are explicitly flagged as folks overtly concerned with the environment, so I'd expect it to be pretty fertile ground for the Greens.

Also, are there no sufficiently leftist candidates on the lower part of the ballot? you would see the results there.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Somfin posted:

It's super cool of you to not actually engage with the discussion at hand and instead pretend we're arguing about something entirely different

You're the one claiming that there is a secret groundswell of Green Party voters who will feel dispirited and disenfranchised by the Democrats' evil machinations, when in fact the Green Party candidate barely pulled 1% in a contest between the most and second-most disliked Presidential candidates in history in 2016.

I generally don't engage with false premises.

The Green Party keeps failing cause they cannot understand that the way to build a successful movement is not to repeatedly run for the Presidency and fail. They're either too impatient or too dumb to build from the ground up.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 17, 2020

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You're the one claiming that there is a secret groundswell of Green Party voters who will feel dispirited and disenfranchised by the Democrats' evil machinations, when in fact the Green Party candidate barely pulled 1% in a contest between the most and second-most disliked Presidential candidates in history in 2016.

I generally don't engage with false premises.

Fritz Coldcockin, I do not know why you continue to engage in D&D if you're not going to read the actual posts that people are actually making and instead decide what they wrote by making it up in your head.

Between this and accusing people of saying that the Greens did nothing wrong (which is not what people ever loving said) I don't think you're actually reading beyond, like, three words into people's posts before deciding what the rest of their post must be saying.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Okay, Somfin. Please, clarify this for me then.

quote:

Again, and I can't believe I'm having to explain this to a bunch of posters in the election polling thread after 2016, we do not actually know what the outcome would be in a fair election, and now we quite explicitly won't, because that outcome is being obscured by people deliberately preventing a fair election from happening.

And again, if there was a groundswell of support for the Green party, the Democrats will now not have to reckon with that because they are using everything they have, including notaries ignoring their loving faxes, to prevent themselves from having to see it. It's all over again; they're refusing to actually allow the strength of their ideologically left opponent to be honestly assessed, but they're simultaneously important enough to destroy by any means necessary, and also too weak to have ever beaten 0% (except for that time they hit 2% but don't worry that's an outlier that's just Green Party Votes Georg skewing things)

How does this imply anything less than "the Greens have a silent groundswell of support that Democrats are purposefully suppressing"

And please, try to formulate a response that doesn't include a ton of condescension.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 17, 2020

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

How does this imply anything less than "the Greens have a silent groundswell of support that Democrats are purposefully suppressing"

And please, try to formulate a response that doesn't include a ton of condescension.

Well it's entirely possible that the democrats are just trying to eke out every available percentage point since they fear getting 2016'ed again.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Well it's entirely possible that the democrats are just trying to eke out every available percentage point since they fear getting 2016'ed again.

Or that the GOP is using the Greens as a cudgel to impair ballot distribution, as we saw in Wisconsin.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It's really hard to not be condescending when you bold in a section that ends with a comma, but refuse to acknowledge the last bit of the sentence which materially changes the meaning of the sentence as a whole.

My post does not imply anything about the Greens having a "silent groundswell of support that the Democrats are purposefully suppressing" as much as you are trying to infer it, and you would have to be projecting quite a bit of additional meaning to find that in there. Here is what I actually said: the Greens are absolutely being purposefully suppressed and this purposeful suppression will prevent the Democrats from having to grapple with what support the Green party actually has. This statement does not imply that this support secretly is massive or game-changing; only that, if there is no election with the Green party on the ballot, its support cannot be accurately assessed.

It would help you to read what the Umberto (:umberto:) emote actually refers to (I notice that it's been excluded from the quoted post, despite that being a core part of what I was saying)- it is a quote from Umberto Eco's essay, Ur-Fascism, specifically about the deliberate conflation of strength and weakness in one's enemies. In this case, I am using it to refer to Democrats making the Green party out to be simultaneously dangerous enough that suppressing them is a decisive victory for the party, but also so weak that their numbers never mattered and their suppression will change nothing. Blocking the Green party will allegedly shore up left-wing support for Biden, but also they were polling at 0% nationally and never would have mattered- these two statements are in obvious, direct, and explicit conflict, in precisely the way that Umberto Eco was describing.

I do not think that the Green party has a silent secret mass movement waiting in the wings, and I have never said that, and you are wrong to infer that from a post that does not imply it. I do think that if there was such a show of support, the Democrats would have to acknowledge it; since that performance will not be measured, they will not have to acknowledge it, whatever it happens to be.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wait a sec doesn't this mean Pennsylvania's electoral result won't be finalized for three days straight!? :stare:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Grouchio posted:

Wait a sec doesn't this mean Pennsylvania's electoral result won't be finalized for three days straight!? :stare:

Potentially.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Finalized yes, but if it's going to be called before that if one candidates lead is higher than one can reasonablely expect to make up from late ballots. The same way they call races long before all the in person votes are counted.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Sarcastr0 posted:

From Kevin Drum:

Since Donald Trump was elected, the number of single-issue abortion voters has increased from 23 percent to 30 percent. Trump himself doesn’t talk much about abortion, but it’s an issue that’s driven a big change in voting behavior. With Brett Kavanaugh having taken the place of Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court, there are now five pro-life justices instead of four-and-a-half. If Ruth Bader Ginsburg (age 87) or Stephen Breyer (age 82) retires or dies in the next four years, a Trump presidency would install a sixth pro-life judge on the court and almost guarantee that Roe v. Wade gets overturned.

Social conservatives can practically taste victory at this point, and they’re voting like it. Social liberals are . . . not quite so single-minded. This is probably an underappreciated factor in the 2020 election.

Single issue abortion voters sending america into fascism would be too on the goddamn nose

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Somfin posted:

It would help you to read what the Umberto (:umberto:) emote actually refers to (I notice that it's been excluded from the quoted post, despite that being a core part of what I was saying)- it is a quote from Umberto Eco's essay, Ur-Fascism, specifically about the deliberate conflation of strength and weakness in one's enemies. In this case, I am using it to refer to Democrats making the Green party out to be simultaneously dangerous enough that suppressing them is a decisive victory for the party, but also so weak that their numbers never mattered and their suppression will change nothing. Blocking the Green party will allegedly shore up left-wing support for Biden, but also they were polling at 0% nationally and never would have mattered- these two statements are in obvious, direct, and explicit conflict, in precisely the way that Umberto Eco was describing.

IMO this is a huge stretch of this Ur-fascism principle. There’s nothing conflicting about Dems saying Green Party support is marginal, but that they don’t want to risk losing even marginal support given how things went down in 2016. This is very different than the actual manifestation of this type of fascist behavior we’re seeing in 2020 politics of drumming up fear of antifa super soldiers while also bragging about how easily the soyboy liberal protesters would be crushed by Trump’s strong forces if he really wanted to. It’s a fundamentally different kind of weakness between the two — the Green’s weakness (in the Dems’ eyes) stems from their objectively incompetent administrative actions, where’s the Dems’ weakness (in chuds’ eyes) stems from their intrinsic immoral and subhuman essence which is completely unchanging regardless of what actions they take.

Note - this is not a defense of the Dems fighting to keep Greens off the ballot, just a quibble over how this action fits (or IMO does not fit) into a fascist framework

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

IMO this is a huge stretch of this Ur-fascism principle. There’s nothing conflicting about Dems saying Green Party support is marginal, but that they don’t want to risk losing even marginal support given how things went down in 2016. This is very different than the actual manifestation of this type of fascist behavior we’re seeing in 2020 politics of drumming up fear of antifa super soldiers while also bragging about how easily the soyboy liberal protesters would be crushed by Trump’s strong forces if he really wanted to. It’s a fundamentally different kind of weakness between the two — the Green’s weakness (in the Dems’ eyes) stems from their objectively incompetent administrative actions, where’s the Dems’ weakness (in chuds’ eyes) stems from their intrinsic immoral and subhuman essence which is completely unchanging regardless of what actions they take.

Note - this is not a defense of the Dems fighting to keep Greens off the ballot, just a quibble over how this action fits (or IMO does not fit) into a fascist framework

I get that quibble, and it makes sense; in my post, I was mostly referring to the justifications for removing the Greens, that the removal is very meaningful (because Greens would inherently damage Democrat results) and also meaningless (because Greens are weak and useless), rather than to the Greens themselves. To me, the difference between what I'm saying and what you're saying is purely one of degree, not of form; perhaps it doesn't qualify right now, but if it is allowed to continue and calcify, it could, and the line between the two would be really fuckin' blurry.

I do think that what you're saying is legit, and thank you for the chance to add a bit of errata to my post.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Somfin posted:

I get that quibble, and it makes sense; in my post, I was mostly referring to the justifications for removing the Greens, that the removal is very meaningful (because Greens would inherently damage Democrat results) and also meaningless (because Greens are weak and useless), rather than to the Greens themselves. To me, the difference between what I'm saying and what you're saying is purely one of degree, not of form; perhaps it doesn't qualify right now, but if it is allowed to continue and calcify, it could, and the line between the two would be really fuckin' blurry.

I do think that what you're saying is legit, and thank you for the chance to add a bit of errata to my post.

the difference between "oxygen is good" and "oxygen is poison" is a matter of degree but that doesn't make a lunatic screeching about how can you breathe in poison any saner

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

the difference between "oxygen is good" and "oxygen is poison" is a matter of degree but that doesn't make a lunatic screeching about how can you breathe in poison any saner

It's a good thing I wasn't saying that, then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This is more of a political-system thing, but: Have third parties ever tried to work out a deal with a particular politician, on the theory of "We will nominate you on our ticket, too, and in return we expect you to let us have veto power over your Secretary of the Interior/Attorney General/whatever picks" - presumably you would have to make the ask moderate, but this seems like a place where a third party could have meaningful power under our current system.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nessus posted:

This is more of a political-system thing, but: Have third parties ever tried to work out a deal with a particular politician, on the theory of "We will nominate you on our ticket, too, and in return we expect you to let us have veto power over your Secretary of the Interior/Attorney General/whatever picks" - presumably you would have to make the ask moderate, but this seems like a place where a third party could have meaningful power under our current system.

There are no third parties in the United Stares with actual blocks of supporters who are interested in achieving goals and working with people to do that. The way what you are describing happens is basically in-party negotiation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

evilweasel posted:

There are no third parties in the United Stares with actual blocks of supporters who are interested in achieving goals and working with people to do that. The way what you are describing happens is basically in-party negotiation.
Sure, I understand that, but I was wondering if it had been tried in the past. You could see the Libertarians trying it if nobody else.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Eric Cantonese posted:

Could someone link me to this? I saw that the Trump campaign wasted a lot of money, but I didn't see anything about false doorknocking counts.

Took me a minute to track this down. Part of a Nuzzi piece in NYMag in August, towards the end
. There are some more direct claims that I'd have sworn were in here, but given my August I'm willing to believe I've extrapolated from the Potemkin vibes:

quote:

To close the gap, the campaign says it’s hosting dozens of events here — more than in any other state. But good luck finding them.

It was 7 p.m. on July 23, and Team Trump had scheduled a training session for campaign volunteers in the area.
[...]In a blue room in the back, beneath an American flag with the words MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN printed in block letters inside the white stripes, a woman sat alone at the end of a conference table. She wasn’t participating in the volunteer training. She was the volunteer training. There just weren’t any volunteers.

When she first thought I might be one, she was friendly. She offered me coffee and asked me to sit down. Two people had signed up for the Trump Leadership Initiative training, she said, but each of them had canceled, one citing an ear infection and the other citing allergies. When she learned I was a member of the media, her face hardened. She returned her gaze to her computer and told me she wasn’t permitted to speak to the press.

Fifty miles away, at the GOP headquarters in Lancaster, another event was scheduled for 6 p.m. the next night.[...] there was nobody left in the office besides the two men who worked there. “There’s pretty light turnout,” Nick said. But not to worry, as things were “going really well,” Jason said.

A few days later, on July 30, the campaign scheduled two voter-contact training sessions at Convive Coffee Roastery on Providence Boulevard in Pittsburgh. The evening session was supposed to start at 7 p.m., but when I arrived, early, at 5:30, the shop had already been closed for half an hour. A girl cleaning up inside came out to talk to me (even when it’s open, like many such establishments, the pandemic rules are takeout only). She said she had no idea that any campaign had scheduled any kind of meeting at the place where she worked for two hours after closing time. But she hadn’t worked the morning shift that day, when the first event was scheduled, so she texted a co-worker who had. He told her a few people came into the shop and asked about a Trump-campaign meetup but that he didn’t know what they were talking about and couldn’t help them. “I don’t know if they figured it out or not,” she said.

I hung around for another hour waiting until eight to see if anyone showed. Nobody did.

A ten-minute drive away, at the second-floor county Republican committee office, some staffers — two young women and two youngish men — sat peering at their laptops, an enormous portrait of a scowling Trump behind them.

“What event?,” Kevin Tatulyan, an Allegheny County Republican official, asked as he waved me into the room.

“What event?,” Dallas McClintock, the regional Trump-Pence field director, asked.

One of the women, with lilac-colored hair, whipped her head toward McClintock.

“It’s your email here!” she told him, pointing to the advertisement I’d mentioned.

“My email?,” McClintock said in disbelief.

“Yeah!” she said.

He scrunched up his face.

For the next several minutes, the staffers tried to sort out how, with fewer than 100 days until the election, they had unknowingly advertised official campaign events that didn’t exist to potential campaign volunteers in the most important swing state in the country.

They squinted at their screens and asked questions.

“What time?”

“Where did you learn about it?”

“What was the address?”

The second event had been listed with an apparent misspelling in the street name, a detail that prompted the girl with the lilac hair to laugh.

“Sounds right,” she said dryly.

“I’m sorry!” the other woman said, and she seemed to mean it. “If you want to leave us your card, we can make sure to invite you to our events in the future!”
Clearly, no smoking gun so mea culpa. At the end of the day, it's the campaign hyping an internal and unverifiable metric as the secret sauce for why the polls are wrong and they're actually competitive (and, coincidentally, why they're not awful at their jobs). Given the administration's willingness to wildly inflate numbers when the lies are trivial to uncover and there's no clear benefit to doing it, I still find the credulity surprising

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

eh not even in the case where you have electoral fusion (like in NY, where candidates are allowed to be on multiple party lines) do they even do horse trading like that usually it's more of a referendum on policies and the actual horse trading would be reserved for intercaucus stuff similar to parliamentary coalitions

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Grouchio posted:

Certified, finalized election results generally don't happen for quite a while, even when there's no recount or controversy. For instance, in Washington, counties have three weeks to come up with their certified final numbers, and then the secretary of state signs off on everything a full month after election day.

All the numbers you see around election night are preliminary counts with no legal meaning.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Paracaidas posted:

Took me a minute to track this down. Part of a Nuzzi piece in NYMag in August, towards the end
. There are some more direct claims that I'd have sworn were in here, but given my August I'm willing to believe I've extrapolated from the Potemkin vibes:

Clearly, no smoking gun so mea culpa. At the end of the day, it's the campaign hyping an internal and unverifiable metric as the secret sauce for why the polls are wrong and they're actually competitive (and, coincidentally, why they're not awful at their jobs). Given the administration's willingness to wildly inflate numbers when the lies are trivial to uncover and there's no clear benefit to doing it, I still find the credulity surprising

I'm sure stats get goosed for maximum PR value, but I don't think the Dems (or anyone of a more leftward persuasion) can afford to assume that all the stats are a lie. I imagine there are a lot of true believers in places like rural Pennsylvania or Michigan willing to walk around and give a big middle finger to liberals and lefties and anyone else they think is oppressing them.

That's what I would do if I were them, honestly.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

To expand upon this the 3rd parties in proportional systems more or less exist in the major parties, they just really aren't labelled as such.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

To expand upon this the 3rd parties in proportional systems more or less exist in the major parties, they just really aren't labelled as such.
Right, I know the big difference here is that the coalitions get built inside of the parties, and that if you dissected things the Republicans would be the Fox News Party in coalition with the Gideon Brigade and the True Provisional Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. This goes against the received natural theology of the parties being both monoliths and basically the same thing, however, and mostly I had wondered if the experiment had been tried, since I know (for instance) there's a lot of thirdish parties in like, Minnesota and stuff. Democratic-Farmer-Labor etc.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

Right, I know the big difference here is that the coalitions get built inside of the parties, and that if you dissected things the Republicans would be the Fox News Party in coalition with the Gideon Brigade and the True Provisional Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. This goes against the received natural theology of the parties being both monoliths and basically the same thing, however, and mostly I had wondered if the experiment had been tried, since I know (for instance) there's a lot of thirdish parties in like, Minnesota and stuff. Democratic-Farmer-Labor etc.

In New Zealand right now there's an attempt to squeeze the Green party out of Government by the current major party- the two are often seen as allies but there are deep, marked differences. Minor parties in functional proportional systems are still in battle with the major parties and each other, they're just more able to extract favours because they can call for an end to the government's coalition if they don't get what they want. Major parties still need to try to win, because a big victory means not being beholden to their smaller allies.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nessus posted:

The only thing I can add to this at the moment is that is why Ranked Choice Voting is going to be so critical going forward (Vote Yes on Question 2 if you live in Massachusetts) in that it will give people who have third party views more power in the system and can realistically sway an election. But yah, not really because big third parties just get absorbed by a bigger party.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

For third parties to broker votes in a presidential election, they'd have to have a notable segment of voters both locked down and willing to put their votes as the party directs. This is...pretty unlikely given the demographics that vote 3rd party are both independently-minded and opposed to voting for a major party to begin with.

Realistically the only power a third party has is in a presidential run is threatening to run as a spoiler and trying to extract concessions on that basis. However this maneuver is so cynical it's going to repel voters if you actually do it, and actually taking your party off the ballot in response to a deal is blatant and discredits your party in the long run.

Neither method has any means of enforcing the bargain. The major party could backtrack and you couldn't do anything about it. For the major party it would come with the benefit of discrediting the third party...they're literally incentivized to back out.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1306695570220875777

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

evilweasel posted:

This is kind of how the Working Families Party and Conservative Party in NY state work. Other states have used such a system in the past, it’s called “electoral fusionism” in the first past the post system we have and it can be quite effective. The populists used it in the 1890s and even progressive whites and black voters used it successfully in North Carolina prior to Jim Crow being implemented there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_fusion

And no, the Green Party doesn’t bother with it because it’s actually sensible and effective.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I know it won't be but I hope it's Crenshaw losing steam, he's not even my district but I hate him so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rednik posted:

This is kind of how the Working Families Party and Conservative Party in NY state work. Other states have used such a system in the past, it’s called “electoral fusionism” in the first past the post system we have and it can be quite effective. The populists used it in the 1890s and even progressive whites and black voters used it successfully in North Carolina prior to Jim Crow being implemented there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_fusion

And no, the Green Party doesn’t bother with it because it’s actually sensible and effective.

remember when the working families party tried to kneecap multiple progressive candidates because they were shamelessly trying to hold on to the token 'power' they had with the dems?

Yea, stupid greens not following that model, it worked so well.