Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

*Anyone able to clip that scene of Homelander flying in, smoking the village dude, then flying out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

BurritoJustice posted:

There is a deleted scene with Frenchie and Cherie from the first episode that explains how she relates to Kimiko, it honestly felt like they forgot that was cut with how EP5 portrayed them.

The Stormfront/A-Train conversation was a bit on the nose, she really doesn't give a gently caress about hiding. Also the Homelander alt right memes were disturbingly real this ep

The "you know Maeve is bi" part was freaky real and that's depressing

Yeah that bi part is a real issue in media, some people have had to struggle because people can only see them as straight or full blown gay/lesbian. For some reason people can't grasp that someone might like both, media wise it just seems easier to say "they're totally this way and only this way".

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 18, 2020

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that was kind of out of nowhere, and I don't really get the motivation. And it being Frenchie's friend paying her is even weirder. How did they meet? What does Kimiko care about money? Is she just doing it to have a supply of bad people to murder?

It's probably an outlet for her to take out her rage. She doesn't give a poo poo about the money. She just wants to stop feeling rage about her brother's death, even temporarily

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

"They're loving starving and one of them has a phone?" is a mindset I've seen too much in real life

Also Maeve having to say IM GAY in the most clunky way possible and then having them dodge out on the kiss was some serious Holywood poo poo

The VCU parody is absolutely on point

The Homelander scene in the hallway with him having a panic attack about the horrific crimes he almost committed feels like their adaption of the Homelander going crazy plot from the comics. Instead of faked forgotten memories it's the horrors in his own head free of inhibition. Dope

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 18, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It's probably an outlet for her to take out her rage. She doesn't give a poo poo about the money. She just wants to stop feeling rage about her brother's death, even temporarily

Yeah that's what I meant about just having an endless supply of murder victims, I just didn't put it very well.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Goons: the boys is just some stupid fun, it's not about meaningful social commentary
The Boys: has a literal nazi manipulate public opinion through the power of shitposting and memes.

Yes I know no one really said that, this is a jokey post.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

text editor posted:

lol

also cool seeing lines being redrawn, and Stormfront effectively isolating Homelander (to probably radicalize him)

It's like cult recruitment.

In this episode, The Deep married into a cult and Homelander hosed the OG Nazi. Did she run a Honeypot? Were those mirrored plots?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Is Stormfront going to have some bitching scars?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

glassyalabolas posted:

Is Stormfront going to have some bitching scars?

I feel like she would know better than to leave permanent marks on prime real estate (i.e. the tits).

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Surprised that Hughie and MM didn’t say anything about the Homelander having a son reveal.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Me, in 2019, to a friend: Yeah, The Boys is dark, but it doesn't have the stupid juvenile poo poo from the comics. Like, ugh, how Butcher trained his dog to hump on command

Me, today: I can't believe they made that work

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

This is definitely the episode that jumped the shark. Black Noir turned into a Bond villain for some inexplicable reason.

I'll probably finish out the season just to see how it goes down, but it is on a rapid downward trajectory.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Mothers Milk is the best character this season so far

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Whoever it was that said earlier that the cult Deep is joining is going to go from a joke to a serious threat at some point I think that that's basically confirmed by Stormfront having been part of it. I feel like she's not the type to get sucked in by a scientology type scam, so maybe there's some scary supe supremacy/world domination stuff only the initiated are privy to. I can't see what else would would see her joining up with a group like that. Then again, seems like there's definitely non supe members as well, so who knows.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beef Stew posted:

Whoever it was that said earlier that the cult Deep is joining is going to go from a joke to a serious threat at some point I think that that's basically confirmed by Stormfront having been part of it. I feel like she's not the type to get sucked in by a scientology type scam, so maybe there's some scary supe supremacy/world domination stuff only the initiated are privy to. I can't see what else would would see her joining up with a group like that. Then again, seems like there's definitely non supe members as well, so who knows.

I think she meant she was part of a church... a long time ago... like down south. She was trying to make A Train uncomfortable.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think what's still unclear is just how exactly are Edgar and Stormfront aligned on their agendas, Stormfront is a full on nazi with a proper Eugenicist agenda, she doesn't want non-white super heros yet Vought created A-Train and others, Vought\Edgars is more into the whole capitalist profiteering aspect of the whole thing, I'm not sure they have a clear social agenda (they also never wanted to get involved so directly with the US military).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The series high

Amazing episode, just incredible by every metric

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Romes128 posted:

I think she meant she was part of a church... a long time ago... like down south. She was trying to make A Train uncomfortable.

I think she was clearly alluding to the fact that the church of the collective has white supremacist roots, and probably also a secret contemporary white supremacist agenda.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think she was clearly alluding to the fact that the church of the collective has white supremacist roots, and probably also a secret contemporary white supremacist agenda.
They can't be white supremacists, they have a black member! :godwinning:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

SF toying with her drink and picking a fight with The A-Train was mega tense

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think some of the subtle stuff in this show goes under appreciated. Stormfront making friends with Starlights boomer mom was way too on the nose.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beef Stew posted:

The church may be a supe supremacy group.

In the previous episodes I assumed those women being "interviewed" by the deep were just groupies jumping at a chance to get with a famous person, but the church may groom it's regular members into serving the supe members.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think it was more of a yeah certain groups are good at controlling the masses and making them believe things and therefore doing things. Kinda like the Nazi's did. So you know, life experience being able to see groups as the potential manipulators they are.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't know, I don't think Stormfront is being allegorical, she says she was a member a long time ago and that they just 'let anyone in these days', she's also a nazi super soldier, of course she also had a double layer of meaning when referring to the Seven and A-Train's presence within it but I also think it's well, the text of the show that she states she was once a part of the church of the collective and that they used to be 'less inclusive'.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Also, as a testament to Antony Starr's acting, it was almost nice to see how genuinely happy Homelander was when he told Stormfront that he was up a few points and people were noting him as Patriotic and Unwaivering.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Bioshuffle posted:

This is definitely the episode that jumped the shark. Black Noir turned into a Bond villain for some inexplicable reason.

I'll probably finish out the season just to see how it goes down, but it is on a rapid downward trajectory.

The nazis are picking up recruits left right and center in this episode, I'm surprised you're not pumped.

Some of the Sheep fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 18, 2020

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Her beverage cup said STOREFRONT on it, and I laughed.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I kinda wanted Starlight to play along with the white superhero master race bullshit with Stormfront so we got a bit more of the blunt relatable act she was doing with Starlight before. But it wouldn't make much sense for Starlight's character to be able to do that

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

What was Black Noir's purpose in seeking out Butcher? What is the benefit of leaving The Boys alive?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BrotherJayne posted:

What was Black Noir's purpose in seeking out Butcher? What is the benefit of leaving The Boys alive?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe Edgar is being all machiavellian and wants to keep them around as some kind of boogyman for supes.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't know, I don't think Stormfront is being allegorical, she says she was a member a long time ago and that they just 'let anyone in these days', she's also a nazi super soldier, of course she also had a double layer of meaning when referring to the Seven and A-Train's presence within it but I also think it's well, the text of the show that she states she was once a part of the church of the collective and that they used to be 'less inclusive'.

I took it to mean we got all sorts of trash nowadays that consider themselves nazi's or neo nazi's. You know, rednecks and other chinless scum of humanity that actually believe they are the superior race but are really a joke and far cry from the old Nazi ideal image that Stomrfront still likely believes in.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Keltar posted:

nazi's or neo nazi's.

What about good ole fashioned grammar nazis?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

spacetoaster posted:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe Edgar is being all machiavellian and wants to keep them around as some kind of boogyman for supes.

I think between supes being show as man made and not natural and Homelander's current incident that he just doesnt need another diaster on his plate.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

AlternateAccount posted:

What about good ole fashioned grammar nazis?

gently caress all nazis is a motto I believe in.

Upon reflection I could actually see grammar nazi being a thing Stormfront thinks about, she is a bit savy with the online stuff.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 18, 2020

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I liked this episode but I really hope the Deep/Kimiko/Frenchie stuff pays off because it’s very lukewarm right now.

Although the Kimiko facerip was some straight up mortal kombat poo poo, probably the most violent thing I’ve seen in a TV show

If you know who Goran Visnjic is, he was completely unrecognizable here with that beard.

Do we know who Stormfront was talking about in the call with the guy in prison? It sounded like she was telling him to kill a 17 year old?.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Liked the episode but I'm gonna go against the grain a bit and say that fakeout was lame and kinda lazy. The Hughie one in the first episode worked as a one-time thing to emphasize the trajectory he was on and as a stylistic representation of his immediate trauma but too many shows start using those moments really loosely and it sucks a bunch of tension out of scenes if you know they can just pull the rug out from under them at whim.

It's also gonna feel less impactful when he finally goes off for real.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I could forgive them if it's a big deal. Chekhov's Gun for a season cliffhanger.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Starks posted:

I liked this episode but I really hope the Deep/Kimiko/Frenchie stuff pays off because it’s very lukewarm right now.

Although the Kimiko facerip was some straight up mortal kombat poo poo, probably the most violent thing I’ve seen in a TV show

If you know who Goran Visnjic is, he was completely unrecognizable here with that beard.

Do we know who Stormfront was talking about in the call with the guy in prison? It sounded like she was telling him to kill a 17 year old?.

Based on trailer footage, I think it is the kid that blew up Raynor's head. In the trailer we see a Supe in a ward blowing up someone's head.

Yeah, after the strong Kimiko episodes in 2-3, this one felt a bit aimless for her. Still an awesome execution on the fight.

I think the bit that really stretched credibility for me was MM getting a knife thrown at him near his throat by a Black Noir and then a few hours later he was not only alive, but feeling well enough to drive.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Liked the episode but I'm gonna go against the grain a bit and say that fakeout was lame and kinda lazy. The Hughie one in the first episode worked as a one-time thing to emphasize the trajectory he was on and as a stylistic representation of his immediate trauma but too many shows start using those moments really loosely and it sucks a bunch of tension out of scenes if you know they can just pull the rug out from under them at whim.

Yeah it was pretty disappointing they did that imo, along with the Black Noir standoff ending like that. Felt like a bit of a reset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The actor playing Man In Scrubs was already confirmed to be portraying Lamplighter, and he was flicking a bic lighter on the phone.

What can it all mean!!!!

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 18, 2020