Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I was specifically not trying to spoil that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Starks posted:

I was specifically not trying to spoil that

What's the spoiler? Who the guy was?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

In one of the weirdest collabs since Final Fantasy and Ariana Grande, there's now The Boys collaboration with World of Tanks. You can have a Starlight tank skin and commander!

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/starlight-kit-0920/

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the spoiler? Who the guy was?

Yeah it’s what’s referred to as a casting spoiler. The writers obviously didn’t want the audience to know who Man In Scrubs is yet and some people go out of their way not to read casting news/imdb for that reason. Its not a huge deal, I think most people here probably are aware but you never know.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah it's definitely the kind of thing that's a spoiler only if you know it's a spoiler. I paused it to shout "that's [redacted!!!!]" at the missus and she just hit me with the ol' Oh That's Nice Honey since that person isn't a character on the show yet

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

In one of the weirdest collabs since Final Fantasy and Ariana Grande, there's now The Boys collaboration with World of Tanks. You can have a Starlight tank skin and commander!

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/starlight-kit-0920/

The only thing weirder is Blackpink x PUBG Mobile.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have about 30 minutes left in the episode, holy loving poo poo this is an amazing goddamn episode of television.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SalTheBard posted:

I have about 30 minutes left in the episode, holy loving poo poo this is an amazing goddamn episode of television.

It keeps getting better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Liked the episode but I'm gonna go against the grain a bit and say that fakeout was lame and kinda lazy. The Hughie one in the first episode worked as a one-time thing to emphasize the trajectory he was on and as a stylistic representation of his immediate trauma but too many shows start using those moments really loosely and it sucks a bunch of tension out of scenes if you know they can just pull the rug out from under them at whim.

It's also gonna feel less impactful when he finally goes off for real.

I think it works for much the same reasons as the Hughie one did. Homelander knows the path he's going down and that he's getting close to completely unraveling. The fakeout doesn't last all that long, and it's stylized so that you know it's not real like halfway through it too.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Normally I can't finish a season before everyone else does so I have to avoid these threads, but now I'm able to keep up and can post my own pointless speculation.

I like that they don't sit on leverage very long and move things forward. No slow drip of dancing around Starlight knowing she's Liberty, they get right to it and let the tension flip back to Stormfront having leverage on Starlight.

Stormfront's conniving and chasing her own personal agenda has to be known to Edgar. So the three reasons I could see him having brought her in are: 1) He's got his own leverage against here, his own way to deal with her (Black Noir?) 2) He's decided at this point that bringing in Stormfront is less bad than Homelander going off the rails, or 3) Someone above him (Stormfront herself?) made the call, pushing forward on some agenda started in the '40s or '50s

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrotherJayne posted:

What was Black Noir's purpose in seeking out Butcher? What is the benefit of leaving The Boys alive?

His purpose was definitely to kill Butcher. Mr Edgar just fell for Butcher's bluff about the pictures / video about Homelander's kid.

Starks posted:

Do we know who Stormfront was talking about in the call with the guy in prison? It sounded like she was telling him to kill a 17 year old?.

The promo for next weeks episode kinda answers that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQsuIjOh0Nk

Seems like Stormfront is making supes. And for my own speculation: Maybe she still has some ties with the Church of the Collective and is recruiting true believer teens to dose up with compound V. Or maybe they are just random kids idk.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I finally figured out who the Hughie actors face reminds me of, this fuckin dude from Deadwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBQOmFljAKY

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Weird thing I noticed that's probably nothing: Near the end of the episode Stormfront dismisses Starlight's display of her powers as "cute" and then, at the end, when she and Homelander are boning down and the chandelier falls from the cieling it's flickering with a similar effect lights usually do when Starlight uses hers powers. And she seemed pretty comfortable, and certain, that Homelander's eye beams couldn't gently caress her up.

Good episode though, I've been enjoying the show's social commentary. Especially it's stance on how lovely things happen because the people in power are comfortable with that power and just let bad poo poo happen happen and gently caress over those that are targeted because they aren't in those marginalized groups. It's real blunt and not at all subtle but sometimes subtlety is overrated, especially given how many people even manage to miss poo poo like the actual literal nazi.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

His purpose was definitely to kill Butcher. Mr Edgar just fell for Butcher's bluff about the pictures / video about Homelander's kid.

The promo for next weeks episode kinda answers that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQsuIjOh0Nk

Seems like Stormfront is making supes. And for my own speculation: Maybe she still has some ties with the Church of the Collective and is recruiting true believer teens to dose up with compound V. Or maybe they are just random kids idk.

In one of the previews, she's leading a crowd chanting "We need more supes", so maybe her plan is to manufacture her master race and get the public to go along with it. Like, get people on board with "actually it's a good thing Vought was making supes."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This was a drat good episode. The poo poo with the deep was fuckin hilarious.

“They said there would be food”
“This is food for your soul”

Fuckin lol

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Supreme Allah posted:

I finally figured out who the Hughie actors face reminds me of, this fuckin dude from Deadwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBQOmFljAKY

I get kind of a Dennis Quaid Meg Ryan kind of vibe.

yes I know

I liked the episode, only real complaint is that Black Noir was kind of a wasted opportunity.

what I hoped for:
Black Noir gets in front of Butcher, grabs him by the collar and throws him on the couch. Scene-change-then-come-back: everyone is sitting there drinking tea laughing. "Holy poo poo Black Noir, I can't believe they found the horse! Anyway, back to business. You want us to X so you can Y and you'll give us what we really want, Z?"

or

Black Noir just following them for like an episode and a half either ramping up the tension or eventually becoming a joke as you start spotting him conspicuously in pretty much every scene. Which I guess could still happen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm like you. I'm gay.

Pretty timely critiques about how They commoditize social justice and identity politics.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was really hoping that Black Noir was going to do something to “help” them or something I dunno.

Wasn’t really expecting what we got and a little let down by that.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

On rewatch I enjoy that it seems like they're using a real girder in the filming which makes sense because why have dummy props when you're actually filming with superheroes

BN was a huge disappointment, but I bought the hit that MM took because it seemed to just be to pin him down

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I feel like Black Noir is getting the "Clamps" treatment from Futurama

Don't make me use the Clamps! It's almost Clampsing time!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I'm like you. I'm gay.

Pretty timely critiques about how They commoditize social justice and identity politics.

The movie is awful in a great way. The green suit monsters were a nice touch.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I need to watch it again but does Stormfront have a healing factor thing going on? They kept doing weird cuts on her chest where it looked like the skin was kinda bubbling / reforming between laserings but they never lingered on it long enough for me to tell if it was meant to be healing or blistering or what.

I assume she heals from it since otherwise she'd be walking around with a giant visible scar, but the show has been kinda inconsistent about the subject. Kimiko can regenerate, and so can the dude who stole the V for Starlight (even though in his case it's treated like some unique ability?); Black Noir seems to have some regenerative capability as well, and A-Train was not only able to recover from a completely snapped-in-half leg but also stayed the fastest man in the world until his heart started making GBS threads out, which apparently doesn't heal?

I know it's all hand-wavy magic at the end of the day but it's hard to tell if anything short of outright killing a supe is even a big deal for them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno about that but it looked like she sure did have a lot of hair downstairs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Great episode. When I saw the branding on the bag of peas Butcher was using as an ice pack I was just imagining Homelander doing a commercial for it :

Homelander: "Vought farms all natural peas, filled with country goodness and green pea-ness... Wait that's terrible I'm not saying the line." *flies off*

*flies back* "oh who am I kidding I need the ratings."

Interesting alliances are being forged. I'm looking forward to seeing the Maeve and Deep efforts; Deep is such a moron that Maeve could easily get him to end up being the fall guy for Homelander or something. I won't be shocked if he fucks up and ends up kicked out of the Collective eventually.

A Train's anger over being let go will create some enemy of my enemy situations too. Maybe all 3 team up together since they're all individually screwed over by Homelander. But A Train doesn't trust Starlight or the Boys so I'm not sure he'll be very friendly to them in spite their common goals. Like Deep he also sees himself wanting to succeed within the confines of Vought's world, so really only in it for the money and fame not solely revenge.

Starlight seems like she's getting more confident, sneaking into Stormfronts trailer and straight up confronting her about being Liberty. She even copied Homelander's "I'm not fuckin around" eye glow moment. How did Stormfront know she leaked the V? Did Gecko turn on her? Is she really good at guessing based on the fact that Starlight had issues with her mom?

Stormfront pulling some serious CONTELPRO mind fuckery on everyone, getting super chummy with Starlight's mom, dogwhistling around A Train, Manipulating Homelander, the works. Based on the phone call it all seems to be leading to something. Hopefully we get to see a big Civil War type throwdown with all the rival factions based on her pulling on these strings.

Homelander had a serious freak out in the hallway and looked like he was going to hit rock bottom, but the super sex seemed to help cheer him up. Liberty/Stormfront is definitely no slouch in the durability department. My guess is that they are a duo for a while until Butcher drops the bombshell that Homelander is a super nazi mommy fucker and Homelander kills her in some Oedipal rage.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Gonna spoiler the text of my thoughts on the new episode since I know 99% of the thread hasn't seen it yet.

The squeak of the toy ramping up in the background was amazing.

I kinda... I dunno if Black Noir is a great ninja kinda dude, or if he's just like, a virtually invulnerable batman wannabe who really just sucks at batman stuff. From the explosions, it could be either him willingly setting them off to be all "HERE COMES BLACK NOIR HAHAHAHAHAHA" but at the same time, I can completely see him just wandering room to room like "They in here? *BOOM* guess not :smith:"

How did he get into the neighborhood anyway? Or out, for that matter?

Homelander losing his poo poo in the hallway was some grade A acting from Starr. God I winced so hard at the "Oh, so they're all starving but one has a cell phone?" line.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That guy’s face getting torn off was some hardcore poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Noting little things about this episode:

Well, we were waiting for Butcher's dog to make an appearance. I'm glad they didn't take things any further than having a stuffed animal for the dog.

Stormfront's coffee cup said "Storefront"

When A-Train is delivering his big "leaving the 7 speech", Homelander is there just looking on. I was thinking, wow, they got Homelander just to stand there? NOPE, its a loving double. And the double is like "that was great man!" oh my god that's priceless.

Holy gently caress Homelander didn't just laser the signs, he DID kill them all!? Oh. It was just a dream. Somebody in this thread called that I think?

Billy's first words after Black Noir leaves are, "MM, you okay?" he's a bastard sometimes but the boys do care.

That ending was... something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I kinda... I dunno if Black Noir is a great ninja kinda dude, or if he's just like, a virtually invulnerable batman wannabe who really just sucks at batman stuff. From the explosions, it could be either him willingly setting them off to be all "HERE COMES BLACK NOIR HAHAHAHAHAHA" but at the same time, I can completely see him just wandering room to room like "They in here? *BOOM* guess not :smith:"

So I loved that stuff. To me this is just what we never really consider, since Batman is a good guy. Being on the other side, well, normally we take for granted they're just super evil villains or criminals, so gently caress em, but in reality those are people and some of the people Batman attacks are just like robbers or drug dealers or even maybe innocent people? To have Batman hunt you would be truly terrifying, he's basically a villain himself just one that acts as a vigilante. I don't think the explosions were too over the top, that's just Batman being cautious! How does batman win against superior numbers, people with guns and potential bombs and traps? He has to be crafty! yeah, real batman would probably be a little more careful, since he doesn't want to kill anybody. But still, batman is a master of fear. I think Black Noir is a pretty good representation of that. And maybe he did know they were in the basement and intentionally did the explosions just to rattle everybody. That's a very batman thing.

Homelander losing his poo poo in the hallway was some grade A acting from Starr. God I winced so hard at the "Oh, so they're all starving but one has a cell phone?" line.

YES. I mean its AWFUL but its so perfectly awful.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Black Noir is a master of non-verbal expression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfRiRaD_5C0

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BrotherJayne posted:

What was Black Noir's purpose in seeking out Butcher? What is the benefit of leaving The Boys alive?

He went after him to kill butcher. He didn't kill butcher because of the blackmail that occurred 30 seconds before noir didn't kill butcher. I'm not sure where the mystery is here

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Noir was definitely being deliberate with the traps normally he's quiet as a mouse but he was clearly stomping around to let them know that after each explosion, he was still just fine, he's theatrical if nothing else

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Keltar posted:

I don't see anything being relatable about A-Train, he's another vain egotistical rear end in a top hat who will kill people (Popclaw says hello) to save his own rear end and position.

To me, A-Train feels like every college athlete from a poor family who is carrying the hopes of his entire social network to deliver them from poverty. And like most of them, he's lived his entire life with the specter of "what's gonna happen when I lose a step?" hanging over him. Like when he says if he loses he's gonna end up like Marathon Man, some sideshow attraction who races against horses. I personally can't relate to that, because I spent my late teens and early 20s as an awkward white goon instead of an athletic Black kid, but I can understand what motivates him.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that was kind of out of nowhere, and I don't really get the motivation. And it being Frenchie's friend paying her is even weirder. How did they meet? What does Kimiko care about money? Is she just doing it to have a supply of bad people to murder?

Kimiko kept ignoring the money over and over again. Charlie kept having to hand it to her over and over, and at the end basically dropped it in her hand and let go so she'd take it. She's obviously not doing it for the money. At least this way she's killing bad people maybe? I mean, that's kind of what it was in the comics.

And I know someone asked for that gif of HL lasering that dude and flying off, but Starr put a still from it up on his twitter earlier this week. His takeoff position is so, so loving goofy. It looks like a cross between him taking a poo poo and stopping something from falling on him at the same time.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Cherie is great, I appreciated her being wholesome and calling out Frenchie on his bs kiss in E03 while still being emotionally understanding even though they've effectively broken up. I implore y'all to watch the E01 deleted scene "Cherie and Frenchie"

Also did anyone get the vibe from season one that she was "enhanced" in some way? The crazy eyes and the way she strong armed Frenchie gave that impression and it's be cool if that was the case

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Knowing that Kimiko is Glimmer from She-Ra made the face tear extra special for me.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

To follow on from the discussion about supe power levels the fact that stormfront can take a homelander later to the tits without a safe word says a lot about hers. Unless he’s holding back but she specifically told him to go harder.

Congressman Neumann read as AOC from the first appearance so the line about there being a video of her doing a silly dance was a bit on the nose.

The earlier episode scenes with stormfront being racist felt off to me, like they wanted her to be clearly racist but didn’t want to drop a hard N bomb so you end up with awkward stuff like “black bastard” or whatever. She seems much more authentic when she’s just being aggravatingly passive aggressive with plausible deniability since that’s what real racists are like.

Defiance Industries posted:

To me, A-Train feels like every college athlete from a poor family who is carrying the hopes of his entire social network to deliver them from poverty. And like most of them, he's lived his entire life with the specter of "what's gonna happen when I lose a step?" hanging over him. Like when he says if he loses he's gonna end up like Marathon Man, some sideshow attraction who races against horses. I personally can't relate to that, because I spent my late teens and early 20s as an awkward white goon instead of an athletic Black kid, but I can understand what motivates him.

It wasn’t marathon man, he specifically mentioned Ben Johnson, a real life disgraced sprinter who ended up racing against horses in a gimmick event.

The Dawn of the Seven movie seems like a franchise soft reboot, if you pause the script pages it explicitly says that Translucent dies during the events of the movie.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 18, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When does the episode come out, so we can find out everything everyone has typed in this thread over the last week happen?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tenzarin posted:

When does the episode come out, so we can find out everything everyone has typed in this thread over the last week happen?

It came out hours ago

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Kimiko is great :nws: https://i.imgur.com/sYt4WaG.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

massive spider posted:

To follow on from the discussion about supe power levels the fact that stormfront can take a homelander later to the tits without a safe word says a lot about hers. Unless he’s holding back but she specifically told him to go harder.

Congressman Neumann read as AOC from the first appearance so the line about there being a video of her doing a silly dance was a bit on the nose.

The earlier episode scenes with stormfront being racist felt off to me, like they wanted her to be clearly racist but didn’t want to drop a hard N bomb so you end up with awkward stuff like “black bastard” or whatever.

She seems much more authentic when she’s just being aggravatingly passive aggressive with plausible deniability since that’s what real racists are like.

Real Racists want so very hard to be able to say those words though, isn't that why dogwhistles exist in the first place? They can't because even though society is still racist, saying it openly would cause them problems. So it makes sense that if you're going to kill everyone you're going to say the words you like saying so much, especially if the only person left to hear them is someone who can't touch you in any meaningful way: after all Kimiko can't go to the media and ruin Stormfront's public persona.