Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It'd be cool if they made a game that actually looked like whatever ukiyo-e inspiration they were going for with Street Fighter 4's ink motif, instead of the shitfest it came out as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

5 also having weird ink stuff in it for no reason was such a huge flag that they were not giving a poo poo about design and just farting out whatever. "Oh its like this in 4? Ok give ryu some brush strokes on his specials too i guess"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like the lighting and the shaders of 5 but the models themselves are just so gross.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

if hair stopped clipping the models ill consider it a cast improvement

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

if hair stopped clipping the models ill consider it a cast improvement

Necali's hair is baffling to me because nobody decided to just keyframe that and instead just leave it all to the physics engine because :effort:.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Marin Karin posted:

If it doesn't look like total poo poo visually then it'll already have a massive leg up on 5, even before getting to the gameplay. I can't believe how ugly 5 is. They wanted its toxic avenger rear end to be a massive spectator game?

SF Dev: Massive legs, you say? You got it!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am getting spoiled by KOF and BFTG having four primary attack buttons. I’ve been mashing kicks on my PS4 controller and the thought of having to drag out my hit box or fight stick to play SFV has kept it unplayed for a while.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I don't understand how people complained about KoF 14 visuals when SF 5 is worse in every way, KoF graphics may be basic but i like the artstyle and it doesn't make me want to vomit like sf 5 unholy mess of colours.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I don't understand how people complained about KoF 14 visuals when SF 5 is worse in every way, KoF graphics may be basic but i like the artstyle and it doesn't make me want to vomit like sf 5 unholy mess of colours.

because XIII looks so much better than both of them

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

the original trailers looked like tekken 2

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

the original trailers looked like tekken 2

Still gets a chuckle out of me to this day.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I would get the impression that given their recent history, Capcom's in full 'Baby Come Back' mode for SF6, but the healthy this is to be as sceptical as possible.

The Curse is Real: Menat and Rashid Condemned to SFV Forever

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Victory Position posted:

Man if they don't reuse Menat in an actual good game that'd be insanely depressing. She's easily the best of the new characters in my book.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

because XIII looks so much better than both of them

:yeah:

When I saw the first trailer for KoFXIV I couldn’t comprehend why they would take two steps back like that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Thirteen Orphans posted:

When I saw the first trailer for KoFXIV I couldn’t comprehend why they would take two steps back like that.

It's orders of magnitude cheaper to produce.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And it's still somehow better looking than SF5.

Ono's gone, the backlash was huge, maybe, maybe the new SF will be fine.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

kofxiii is probably my favorite looking fgc

shame im beyond trash at it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

the choice wasnt between 3d models or hd sprites, the choice was between 3d models or no new kof ever

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Endorph posted:

the choice wasnt between 3d models or hd sprites, the choice was between 3d models or no new kof ever

That’s a shame.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They made the right choice. KoF XIV is a good game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Thirteen Orphans posted:

That’s a shame.

unfortunately fighting game spritework is the most demanding form because the visuals communicating the hitboxes is very important, so to feel good a late balance change often must be accompanied by a redraw. spritework is reasonably priced for less-complicated, looser genres, which is why indie platformers and such can afford it, but it starts to balloon very quickly as the effort involved increases. there just were never that many people who could do capcom or snk style spritework in the first place.

in the 90s companies could be a bit lazy with it, reusing sprites across games even when the balance was different (see: alpha sprites in X-MvSF/MvC, morrigan in everything) but when you can get mostly perfect visual-mechanic fidelity by attaching hitboxes to models, the old looser ethos that surrounded sprites starts to feel bad.

personally i find models way less readable than sprites and can barely play modern fighting games but it seems to be the unavoidable trend of the genre. capcom's the only real titan making FGs and even they won't shell out.

DBFZ is where the genre needs to go if it's going to remain dependent on 3D though. out with the beef zangief and in with cel-shading

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

so anybody know what happened with the bombergirl pc port? i remember crossplay was announced and then two years of nothing

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

They made the right choice. KoF XIV is a good game.

it certainly is. 100%

but god drat 13 still looks so fuckin good

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
If I remember right kof13's style was the worst of both worlds for animation. They had to make reasonably detailed models, animate those models, draw a basic concept over the models, redraw the actual HD sprite over the concept animations, and then go back and add highlights and extra details. It was an enormous amount of effort.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Veev posted:

If I remember right kof13's style was the worst of both worlds for animation. They had to make reasonably detailed models, animate those models, draw a basic concept over the models, redraw the actual HD sprite over the concept animations, and then go back and add highlights and extra details. It was an enormous amount of effort.

it shows, its seriously some of the most gorgeous spritework in media

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Before KOF14 was even out they said they knew it wasn't going to be where they wanted it to be visually but that they had to transition to 3D sooner rather than later and this was them ripping off the bandaid, so to speak.

They also thought they could make up for it by launching with 50 characters but I don't know how much difference that made.

I'm more surprised people think Samsho's models are such a huge step up, I do think it looks better than 14 but not dramatically so.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Before KOF14 was even out they said they knew it wasn't going to be where they wanted it to be visually but that they had to transition to 3D sooner rather than later and this was them ripping off the bandaid, so to speak.

They also thought they could make up for it by launching with 50 characters but I don't know how much difference that made.

I'm more surprised people think Samsho's models are such a huge step up, I do think it looks better than 14 but not dramatically so.

Stylization goes a long way when you have technical limitations. Samsho models are a lot more stylized both in their proportions and presentation, KOFXIV leaned more towards a kind of realism that left it feeling kind of dry. It's like working with a bland ingredient like chicken, it depends a lot on how you spice it to get any kind of zing out of the meat.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Man if they don't reuse Menat in an actual good game that'd be insanely depressing. She's easily the best of the new characters in my book.

Fang will somehow be the only original SFV character to make it to SF6.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Reiley posted:

Stylization goes a long way when you have technical limitations. Samsho models are a lot more stylized both in their proportions and presentation, KOFXIV leaned more towards a kind of realism that left it feeling kind of dry. It's like working with a bland ingredient like chicken, it depends a lot on how you spice it to get any kind of zing out of the meat.

I more meant like, whenever you get a closeup of one of the more femme characters like Charlotte or Galford you can see the Andy-isms. The shaders clearly help but I would've expected a bigger jump in model quality, even just as a byproduct of going from a 3v3 to a 1v1 game.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
We've been over this before, but sprites aren't this super expensive thing people seem to have been led to believe it is, in fact they're kinda super cheap. They fell out of favor with the big guys because they were a super poor fit for the hardware in the PS1-2-3 eras, and then they stayed out because spriting isn't taught in game dev or animation schools, 3d modeling and animation is, so you can find thousands of modelers while good spriters are elusive beasts lurking on weird pixely slums in remote corners of the internet. On top of that the big thing with 3d models is you can outsource like a hundred fetish costume DLCs per female character to balance the costs, whereas sprite-wise the apex of costume technology dismissing Noel is pasting a robot arm on Akuma.

Also you can render them in 8K and it's all sharp, which is likely motivating Nippon Ichi's bold latest move from having to upscale their sprite set once every 8 years to possibly never having to remake a Disgaea model ever.

You can get good or bad sprites depending on effort and passion, and just the same with 3d models. Golden age Capcom sprites looked good because they had people passionate about pixeling Chun-Li's meaty thighs just the right way, just like modern Arcsys models look good because they have people passionate about implementing a full set of palettization-friendly underwear variants for Jam.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 19, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd love to see a modern 2D Street Fighter with SOR4's visual aesthetic because there's some great and expressive spritework in that game. Guess I'll have to wait for the Final Fight remake!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

exquisite tea posted:

I'd love to see a modern 2D Street Fighter with SOR4's visual aesthetic because there's some great and expressive spritework in that game.

:hmmyes:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Victory Position posted:

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Yeah honestly SF kind of needs another 3 in terms of casts. 4 and 5 were also 'BABY COME BACK' games bringing back all the fan favorites like....Abel and T Hawk and Dee Jay.

New game, bring like 6 of the classics and then just do weird new poo poo again.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Can't they just make a better Street Fighter 3 and just call it 6? I'd prefer that over the hot mess that SF5 was. Keep it 2d you fuckers

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Remember HD Remix? Or the leaked HD darkstalkers sprites? 2D from Capcom is likely to be something straight out of a photoshopped monkey paw with the wrong pixel ratio.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I don't get the love for Menat, what is there to like about her at all

I mean she's better than Laura I guess

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AnonSpore posted:

Just look at her walking animations

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

AnonSpore posted:

https://youtu.be/CLzFzMVRU2I

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah honestly SF kind of needs another 3 in terms of casts.

This was SF5 season 2 and people absolutely loathed it overall because they wanted their SF2/4 mains back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

AnonSpore posted:

She's the first 'sexy' design to actually be kind of hot in SF since 3 with Urien.