Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Wait, I thought it was Obama who made ISIS?

They've put on the Potara Earrings and have fused to become Obiden. Not be confused with Bidema, which is the result of the fusion dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Groovelord Neato posted:

The House does oversight not the Senate. They're not passing laws when they get these guys in for questioning. But if you just let these guys get away with (illegally) ignoring subpoenas then what's the point of electing you into a majority in the first place.

The Senate is the only chamber that can remove officials though.

As for contempt of Congress (i.e. ignoring subpoenas), I got bad new for you, friend:

wikipedia posted:

Following a contempt citation, the presiding officer of the chamber is instructed to refer the matter to the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia; according to the law it is the duty of the U.S. Attorney to refer the matter to a grand jury for action.

The criminal offense of contempt of Congress sets the penalty at not less than one month nor more than twelve months in jail and a fine of not more than $100,000 or less than $100.

The current acting US Attorney for DC is Michael Sherwin:

quote:

Justice Department leaders including Barr asked Sherwin to become the deputy of Timothy Shea at the District of Columbia office in 2020.

Before Sherwin, the acting US Attorney for DC was Timothy Shea:

quote:

Shea is a "close confidant" to Attorney General William Barr and "Barr's right-hand man" at the Justice Department, according to Fox News.

Before Shea, the US Attorney for DC was Jessie Liu:

quote:

Liu worked for the transition team of President-elect Donald Trump, and in 2017 became deputy general counsel at the United States Department of the Treasury. In June 2017, President Trump nominated Liu to become the next United States Attorney for the District of Columbia, the country's largest U.S. Attorney's office, with more than three hundred prosecutors.

While serving as the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, Liu received criticism from residents and local lawmakers for her record of not prosecuting hate crimes. An investigation by The Washington Post found that under her leadership, hate crime prosecutions and convictions in D.C. were at their lowest point in at least a decade. After much public pressure, her office made more prosecutions for hate crimes in 2019 than it did in all of 2018 and 2017 combined.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 18, 2020

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

quote:

On November 3rd, Wisconsin will decide whether we will quickly return to record prosperity—or whether we allow Joe Biden to ... erase your borders
I didn't realise Wisconsin was so worried about a Canadian invasion.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Shanghaied posted:

The Senate is the only chamber that can remove officials though.

As for contempt of Congress (i.e. ignoring subpoenas), I got bad new for you, friend:

The current acting US Attorney for DC is Michael Sherwin:

Before Sherwin, the acting US Attorney for DC was Timothy Shea:

Before Shea, the US Attorney for DC was Jessie Liu:

LOL!!!

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Turns out, all it takes to completely destroy the famed system of checks-and-balances is to say "nuh-uh".

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

InternetJunky posted:

I didn't realise Wisconsin was so worried about a Canadian invasion.

Upper Peninsula Delenda Est

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Shanghaied posted:

Turns out, all it takes to completely destroy the famed system of checks-and-balances is to say "nuh-uh".

I just keep flashing back to post-2000 when all the Very Serious Adults were like, “We can’t get rid of the Electoral College! What if the American people voted for an incompetent madman who wanted to become dictator for life!”

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
if Biden wins, t's pretty lol to think about all of the investigations into the Trump family/admin, but is anything stopping that family just from loving off to Russia when they know they've lost? I know the general consensus seems to be that Trump is gonna dispute the election, but running away also seems equally likely imo

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1306977955340578822?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1306971776199651334?s=19

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

its_my_birthday posted:

if Biden wins, t's pretty lol to think about all of the investigations into the Trump family/admin, but is anything stopping that family just from loving off to Russia when they know they've lost? I know the general consensus seems to be that Trump is gonna dispute the election, but running away also seems equally likely imo
There's no way a narcissist like Trump runs, but he and his family fleeing to Russia would be the absolute cherry on his poo poo-show of a timeline.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Remember when swine flu killed 200k and made all of our lives lovely?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guze posted:

Remember when swine flu killed 200k and made all of our lives lovely?

It's blowing my mind he keeps bringing it up. It's like the dementia test.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

its_my_birthday posted:

The current administration being held accountable for the past 4 years is just as important as Biden winning the election. If Biden wins, but the current poo poo house skates, we will be just as hosed going forward.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
if biden wins it's going to be like operation paperclip and suddenly bill barr and jared and miller will just disappear and "will marr" "jarod white" and "stephano white" (no relation) will have new roles in the new white house no questions please.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lol Trump will never be held accountable because that would open up the possibility of future presidents to be held accountable too

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bloomberg doesnt need a job

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Taeke posted:

lol Trump will never be held accountable because that would open up the possibility of future presidents to be held accountable too

GOP will screech that Presidents* need to be held accountable, slippery slope and all that.

*Democrat

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
The democrats - "we better not do this thing to the republicans, because we might have it done to us when the republicans have power".

The republicans - "this is a thing that the democrats might do to us in theory, so we better do it to the democrats as much and as hard as possible while we have power".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pick posted:

bloomberg doesnt need a job

Remember when Trump became unmoored from time and claimed Bloomberg used the mayoral office to push his outdated terminals onto customers in order to become rich.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

jesus christ shut the gently caress up you appallingly stupid hypocritical turd

ok all is forgiven

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

For the new thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ign_vZupjno

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gonna laugh if Bill Barr announcing charges against Joe and/or Hunter Biden in October is the thing that finally convinces Joe Biden, Manchin, Schumer, and a bunch of other Dem-squishes that the only way forward is to prosecute the gently caress out of the entire Trump administration from top-to-bottom.

If you didn't do it for fear that future Republicans were going to do it back, but then the Republicans jump the gun and do it anyway, well, they kind of invalidated the only reason not to do it, right?

Also, I heard this summer that the Biden campaign was floating Sally Yates as AG. Don't know how legit that was, but if they do actually go through with that, I think that's a signal that they want someone with an ax to grind to go after the Trump admin hard.

If he goes with Amy Kobluchar as AG, then its a sign that they intend to let them all walk, just like she did with Derek Chauvin back in the 2000s.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/1306961499085209602?s=20

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

its_my_birthday posted:

they already didn't do that with dubya

couldn't prosecute all those torturers because "those crimes happened in the past"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nobody except for mid level scapegoats will get prosecuted, lmao. Stop deluding yourselves

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Groovelord Neato posted:

Remember when Trump became unmoored from time and claimed Bloomberg used the mayoral office to push his outdated terminals onto customers in order to become rich.

No see, Mini Mike inherited his dad's terminal business and then ran it into the ground. But then he became the Mayor of New York, and he made the New York Secret Service, the New York government, and all the foreign officials visiting New York use his lovely, overpriced terminals. When the Vice Mayor of New York visited Ireland, he had to travel to the literal other side of the country to use a Mini Mike terminal. He even forced pilots from New York Air Force to use his lovely terminals in Scotland, even though there were other terminals that were better and cheaper, and didn't require the pilots to change their flight plans.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

LabyaMynora posted:

Gonna laugh if Bill Barr announcing charges against Joe and/or Hunter Biden in October is the thing that finally convinces Joe Biden, Manchin, Schumer, and a bunch of other Dem-squishes that the only way forward is to prosecute the gently caress out of the entire Trump administration from top-to-bottom.

If you didn't do it for fear that future Republicans were going to do it back, but then the Republicans jump the gun and do it anyway, well, they kind of invalidated the only reason not to do it, right?

Also, I heard this summer that the Biden campaign was floating Sally Yates as AG. Don't know how legit that was, but if they do actually go through with that, I think that's a signal that they want someone with an ax to grind to go after the Trump admin hard.

If he goes with Amy Kobluchar as AG, then its a sign that they intend to let them all walk, just like she did with Derek Chauvin back in the 2000s.

The cool Joe Biden that Trump keeps talking about would hire Yates as AG.

Actual Joe Biden will hire Klob.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

Nobody except for mid level scapegoats will get prosecuted, lmao. Stop deluding yourselves

I bet some French dudes in the late 18th century had the same feeling. If things get really bad, they will eventually get really good :black101:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nocheez posted:

I bet some French dudes in the late 18th century had the same feeling. If things get really bad, they will eventually get really good :black101:

Counter point:. The French protest with heart and soul to this day. They will flat out burn poo poo to the ground until government does something.
The USA doesn't have that national gene. We do have a bootlicking gene, though

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Nocheez posted:

I mean yeah, they executed the king and some nobles and clergy. But like the vast majority of people killed during the French Revolution were average citizens. It was mostly a bunch of lawyers killing each other (seriously the National Convention was like 90% lawyers), and (overwhelmingly) each other's supporters.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they already didn't do that with dubya

couldn't prosecute all those torturers because "those crimes happened in the past"

New York is going to ruin Trump's life, though. That is, if he loses in November.

LabyaMynora posted:

Barr absolutely is going to announce some "huge" investigation into Biden a week before the election ala James Comey in October of 2016.

You just made me realize too that Barr will be out of a job if Biden wins. That alone is enough of a reason to vote for Joe.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

I think Jared’s made it pretty hard not to prosecute him. He’s up to his elbows in so much poo poo, and having formerly been a Dem I doubt either side will care very much.

Trump’s going to scapegoat a Jewish person. :discourse:

Ivanka will divorce him and marry Putin. That’s how it works, like Rupert Murdoch and his ex-wife Wendy Deng.

It turns out the chuds were the real cucks all along.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Swine flu killed 12,000 Americans total. 5 states have higher numbers alone.

Also lol at Bloomberg wanting "a job". Motherfucker wants tax cuts and more neoliberal democratic policy.

Donnie, you're a failure

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Shanghaied posted:

I mean yeah, they executed the king and some nobles and clergy. But like the vast majority of people killed during the French Revolution were average citizens. It was mostly a bunch of lawyers killing each other (seriously the National Convention was like 90% lawyers), and (overwhelmingly) each other's supporters.

Lmao my friend, do you REALLY think this is a bad thing?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Power Khan posted:

Lmao my friend, do you REALLY think this is a bad thing?

I'm picturing Rudy slashing Cohen to death in an arena while Avenatti sneaks up to murder the poo poo out of Rudy.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Oscar Wild posted:

Swine flu killed 12,000 Americans total. 5 states have higher numbers alone.

He's not talking about that, he's talking about the more important figure.

The TV ratings. Have you learned nothing?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

It also led to the coronation of an emperor which is ironic

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm picturing Rudy slashing Cohen to death in an arena while Avenatti sneaks up to murder the poo poo out of Rudy.

Dersh is going to scream about entrapment as George Conway throws a weighted net over him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The cool Joe Biden that Trump keeps talking about would hire Yates as AG.

Actual Joe Biden will hire Klob.

Biden's AG pick:
https://goldeneye.fandom.com/wiki/Klobb