Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

As Nero Danced posted:

Man I hope the thread doesn't devolve into more arguing over whether her racist tone constitutes her being a racist character or not.
Speaking of racism, among all of Stormfront's gaslighting this episode, I liked that they had side by side scenes with her and the movie director calling out how good the Vietnamese dish being served by the catering is...except the director uses the actual Vietnamese name and she calls them "Vietnamese crepes" instead.

Alchenar posted:

The ringtone was excellent.
Everything about Black Noir is so deliciously juxtaposed all the time:
- His tea cerimony commercial while being unable to drink.
- Having a soda at a black tie party.
- Murdering everyone in the compound and then comforting the child.
- Showing the most emotion of everyone at the Compound V reveal whitout us ever seeing his face.
And now being a super ninja assassin who triggers every trap AND has his mobile not set to silent during an assassination mission.

PostNouveau posted:

The movie is awful in a great way. The green suit monsters were a nice touch.
Loved the Zach Snyder color filter.

Gonz posted:

That guy’s face getting torn off was some hardcore poo poo.
That's her character's signature move in the comics to the point that we get the message "Stormfront is really resilient" when she tries to claw his face off and ends up getting her fingertips sandpapered down to the bone by the friction.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Does Stormfront have a secret son? Did Stormfront's secret son do some terrible hate crime? :tinfoil:
In one of the trailers released before the season start, we see MM and Frenchie breaking out a teenage supe who makese someone explode, so LL and SF are tied to him and to Raynor's death through the kid. Maybe they are running some kind of black ops site for teenage supes? Either for Vought or on their own.

BurritoJustice posted:

"They're loving starving and one of them has a phone?" is a mindset I've seen too much in real life

Homelander-represents-traditional-right-wing-conservative-America-to-SF-s-alt-right.jpeg

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Notice that Black Noir was the only one that Stormfront hasn't (figuratively and literally) hosed with so far. It'll be funny if she tries something and just gets flat out rejected.

With supe durability I've noticed something else - Kimiko and Noir have zombie like durability in that they still physically take damage, it just doesn't affect them. You see bullets fly right through their bodies with no ill effect. A Train got a compound fracture but recovered in like a day or so. Stormfront suffering titty laser also gets burned and says 'ow' so she's tough but not invulnerable like Translucent was. Not sure exactly where Maeve and Starlight fall into this - was Starlight visibly wounded by the .50cal shot in season one? I can't remember.

Now contrast this with Homelander, who doesn't seem to take any damage whatsoever.

IIRC, Starlight was bruised by that huge fuckoff gun. Doesn't Maeve tell Starlight about biting off more than she could chew and breaking her arm in Season 1?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i wanted to hear more of the mobster’s views on musical theatre and dear evan hansen specifically

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Notice that Black Noir was the only one that Stormfront hasn't (figuratively and literally) hosed with so far. It'll be funny if she tries something and just gets flat out rejected.

With supe durability I've noticed something else - Kimiko and Noir have zombie like durability in that they still physically take damage, it just doesn't affect them. You see bullets fly right through their bodies with no ill effect. A Train got a compound fracture but recovered in like a day or so. Stormfront suffering titty laser also gets burned and says 'ow' so she's tough but not invulnerable like Translucent was. Not sure exactly where Maeve and Starlight fall into this - was Starlight visibly wounded by the .50cal shot in season one? I can't remember.

Now contrast this with Homelander, who doesn't seem to take any damage whatsoever.

A-Train healed immediately because of compound V, his trainer/brother said it would normally be a six week injury. It's notable that only Kimiko could actually hurt him with blunt force. There has to be some speedforce type bullshit to explain speedster durability too.

Starlight takes the .50bmg to the chest while it leaves an impact it is actually only scorching on her clothes not actual wounds. Stormfront does also say that Starlight is "literally bulletproof" in episode 2. I think this is impressive durability overall. It seems it's more the kinetic energy of the bullet that floors her and no real point damage

Maeve has shown no impact from any damage so far in the show, if you actually pick nits. Literally nothing has impacted her. She stands through the truck in the opener, she smiles through a magazine from an AR15. The only mention of damage is her forearm when she stopped the schoolbus at the start of her hero gig.

"Base level" supes (the brother, the random terrorists, Mesmer) seems to be far below the durability of Starlight and Maeve. Noir appears to be leaning more towards healing factor since his skin gets pierced like Kimiko. Homelander has an expectation of "base level" supes to be weak to his lasers as evidenced by his surprise at Stormfront taking a laser bath (that she believes gives her sexual powers) with only a rare to medium rare result

Also a trend I'm noticing is that telekinesis seems to be a really common ability of adult-dosed V supes, with at least the brother, the skull-crusher, and the unnamed villain homelander murks all having similar apparent powers

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

God, that bit was so perfect. Just sums up exactly how little he thinks it takes to redeem himself.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I still wish it was stiffler or stiffler turned out to be his dad in one of those "I didn't know I gave my child compound V!!!" news blurbs

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Telekinesis is also probably really useful for the super terrorists Villains to have because it definitely looks threatening but in an actual supe vs supe fight I imagine it takes considerable training to be effective with it. A layman is just going to flail around with that kind of power and get chumped by Homelander vs a trained Jean Grey type who could make forcefields and stuff.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

There's no doubt at all what so ever now that Stormfront is straight up a racist troll, but has there been any indications that she is affiliated with the Nazis?

I love that she trolls everyone when she is on screen. Definitely one of my favorite villains. I loved that she deliberately tilts her cup to make the annoying slurpy sound while trolling A-Train. She knows exactly what it takes to push people's buttons and she's not afraid to do it. It's basically the best.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I doubt she picked Stormfront because she chases storms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jSAM2VVlVQ

I love everything about the Deep this season. Everyone calling him a piece of poo poo to his face and him going “huh ok” and rolling with it has been fantastic.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 18, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I doubt she picked Stormfront because she chases storms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jSAM2VVlVQ

I love everything about the Deep this season. Everyone calling him a piece of poo poo to his face and him going “huh ok” and rolling with it has been fantastic.

He can't even join a Scientologist parody cult correctly without ending up as a laughing stock.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bioshuffle posted:

There's no doubt at all what so ever now that Stormfront is straight up a racist troll, but has there been any indications that she is affiliated with the Nazis?

Other than the name stormfront, people have pointed to her uniform belt buckle is a modern Reichsadler (German eagle).

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 18, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

Other than the name stormfront, people have pointed to her uniform belt buckle is a modern Reichsadler.
They specifically mentioned Nazis in the show before, so I'm wondering if they'll elaborate on her connection. If she does reveal to the world that she is a Nazi, wouldn't that put her ideology in direct conflict with Mr.Patriotic aka Homelander?

I'm also interested to see what A-Train will do. He's no push over, unlike some other supes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bioshuffle's super power is goalpost moving

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

They specifically mentioned Nazis in the show before, so I'm wondering if they'll elaborate on her connection. If she does reveal to the world that she is a Nazi, wouldn't that put her ideology in direct conflict with Mr.Patriotic aka Homelander?

I'm also interested to see what A-Train will do. He's no push over, unlike some other supes.

Let me tell you about a patriotic American named Charles Lindbergh ...

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Let me tell you about a patriotic American named Charles Lindbergh ...

The aviator who lost his baby to kidnapper? Not seeing the connection here.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Alchenar posted:

it sure as hell isn't suspending our disbelief

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
hey look at that the quality and tone of the thread completely changed today for some reason weird

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bioshuffle posted:

If she does reveal to the world that she is a Nazi, wouldn't that put her ideology in direct conflict with Mr.Patriotic aka Homelander?

lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

The aviator who lost his baby to kidnapper? Not seeing the connection here.

There was a huge American fascist movement in the 1930s. One of the organizations even filled Madison Square Garden for a rally. Charles Lindbergh was one of them.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

BurritoJustice posted:

Also a trend I'm noticing is that telekinesis seems to be a really common ability of adult-dosed V supes, with at least the brother, the skull-crusher, and the unnamed villain homelander murks all having similar apparent powers

the only person we've seen disable homelander for a significant amount of time was kimikos brother with his telekinesis

id think finding a way to combine that with the standard superman power kit would be a natural goal for the nazi eugenics program

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
gonna kill homelander by using telekinesis to pelt him with post 1980s pennies

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

moist turtleneck posted:

gonna kill homelander by using telekinesis to pelt him with post 1980s pennies

I would imagine a telekinesis kill would be more like bursting a small blood vessel in his brain.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I was jabbing at the zinc vs homelander thing

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

spacetoaster posted:

I would imagine a telekinesis kill would be more like bursting a small blood vessel in his brain.

then just scoop up some dna do a little comic book fantasy mix-a-roo with the telekinesis and you got homelander 2.0 and also hopefully learned how to not traumatize them so much as a child

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

There was a huge American fascist movement in the 1930s. One of the organizations even filled Madison Square Garden for a rally. Charles Lindbergh was one of them.
Did it persist after the war though? I don't see how it relates to the show.

To get things back on topic, were they trying to make a joke about how black noir was terrible at hiding in plain sight when he is up on the roof behind the chimney? I didn't understand what they were going for there. There's no way all those firemen would have missed him. Did they just pretend not to see him or what.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

STOP QUOTING HIS loving GARBAGE

Anyhoo

The pacing seemed off for a bunch of this episode, but a part of that may have been just how amazing episode 4 was

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bioshuffle posted:

Did it persist after the war though? I don't see how it relates to the show.

To get things back on topic, were they trying to make a joke about how black noir was terrible at hiding in plain sight when he is up on the roof behind the chimney? I didn't understand what they were going for there. There's no way all those firemen would have missed him. Did they just pretend not to see him or what.

I was kinda surprised at how bad noir's hiding was.

Unless it was on purpose as an intimidation tactic?

It seems like they can't make up their minds if he's a super ninja, or clumsy doofus.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Erin Moriarty is great on this show

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

spacetoaster posted:

It seems like they can't make up their minds if he's a super ninja, or clumsy doofus.

around kimiko he was full super ninja

i think he just did not give a poo poo about the boys or their bombs because he could just walk all over them anyway but was called off based on a lucky lie

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bobjr posted:

I half expected Butcher to upload the photos right after Black Noir left

He doesn't have any, that's what they were giggling about afterwards

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BSam posted:

GREG loving GRUNBERG!

I know, I love the veiled JJ Abrams callout.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Starlight was shot with a .50 BMG at close range and acted like she was shot with 9 mm through a Kevlar vest. She's extremely tough, at least.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Goast posted:

around kimiko he was full super ninja

i think he just did not give a poo poo about the boys or their bombs because he could just walk all over them anyway but was called off based on a lucky lie
The only problem is, just in the previous episode he annihilated an entire building full of trained soldiers. I was so confused about why he didn't just murder them right from the get go. He seemed to spare Mother Milk for some reason. Maybe Edgar gave him instructions to make it slow? I can totally see that being the case.

Also, can a mod please chime in about spoiler policies? I am so confused about how much we are allowed to discuss with and without spoiler tags.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wonder if the nature of her powers could nullify Stormfront's.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I wonder if the nature of her powers could nullify Stormfront's.
As is typical of superhero shows, their powers vary wildly depending on what the plot needs. For example, in the rooftop chase sequence, why the hell would he tackle her outright instead of throwing objects in her direction?

It didn't make any sense. Nothing in the show makes sense, but that's ok.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arglebargle III posted:

I know, I love the veiled JJ Abrams callout.

Which Abrams thing was he in? I figured it was more of a Heroes callback

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
New ep So... show has AmericaHomelander flirting, asking for help and then loving NazismStormfront. Maybe they're trying to say something, I dunno

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 18, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

ZZZorcerer posted:

So... show has AmericaHomelander flirting, asking for help and then loving NazismStormfront. Maybe they're trying to say something, I dunno
Maybe. We've seen the big reveal that she is racist, but we haven't seen her overtly state to anyone that she is an outright Nazi. I'm sure they're saving that for a big moment. Isn't the KKK separate from Nazism? I don't know too much about Nazis or the KKK so maybe someone can fill me in.

I also found it eerie how some of Homelander's memes kind of parrot the memes that are designed to delegitimize the BLM movement.

I can totally see those memes being circulated on my FB feed.

Alchenar posted:

Don't you want people to admit when they're wrong and be open to changing their mind? Isn't that the whole point of having a discussion?

Not sure what you were talking expecting, but I already said multiple times my guesses were wrong. Also, if I annoy you so much, why are you trying so hard to get my attention?

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm just here to discuss the show.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Casually flips Homelander plushie to Terror
"gently caress it"

It was the sound after as he said his goodbye...