Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Update: he is no longer Robin and is now Red Robin again.

The Batfamily is gonna have to have an intervention where they force him to stick to a codename.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm catching up on Tynion's Batman, and really loving it so far. The vision of an ideal future Bruce has, where he's turned Gotham into a utopia and his villains are now Flash-style goofballs, is really fun and compelling even if it's brief. I love the idea that Batman would prefer to be like Flash or Superman, to embody hope, if he wasn't continually getting dealt such an awful hand by the nightmare he lives in.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

I'm catching up on Tynion's Batman, and really loving it so far. The vision of an ideal future Bruce has, where he's turned Gotham into a utopia and his villains are now Flash-style goofballs, is really fun and compelling even if it's brief. I love the idea that Batman would prefer to be like Flash or Superman, to embody hope, if he wasn't continually getting dealt such an awful hand by the nightmare he lives in.

I liked that scene too and I wish Tynion had wanted to/been allowed to write that series instead of what becomes a pretty boring, to me, Joker event.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Bendis is just turning him into the Kitty Pryde of the DC universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They should just give Bendis Red Hood.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Since he's American strictly speaking he's actually a thrush.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
He will eventually change his real name to Drake Mallard and his superhero name will be Darkwing Duck.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I liked that scene too and I wish Tynion had wanted to/been allowed to write that series instead of what becomes a pretty boring, to me, Joker event.

I'm not normally one to enjoy "the Joker is attacking the city and the stakes have never been higher!" but this is really singing for me. Despite how dubious she looked, I'm enjoying Harley vs. Punchline and the specific use of Punchline to skewer the idea that the Joker is reflecting a twisted society, an agent of a nihilistic philosophy, etc. Tynion doesn't position the Joker as cool or alluring, but as a banal, nightmarish monomaniac whose sole proficiency is in crafting plots to ruin Batman's life.

It feels like a take on a story like (for instance) Death of the Family, but without being enamoured with the antagonist and his point of view. This Joker isn't Batman's worthiest adversary, or his dark mirror, or a representative of any ideology: he's just mundane petty cruelty, a murderous bully. Harley outright says that she thinks the Joker's not a smart guy, and the narrative seems to be on her side with that. Alfred points out that the reason the Joker is able to kill so many people is not because of some unique proficiency he has, but because he doesn't care about people, and it's Batman's job to care.

I loved, "Batman is a naive, optimistic child's dream - and you must hold onto it", as well. I feel like there's a core of humanist optimism in this (often very dark) story that hasn't been present in a lot of its contemporaries. But I've always enjoyed Tynion's Batman work, so I might just be the target audience.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I will be interested if Tynion can stick the landing. He has characters saying the right thing (Joker doing a meta piece about how this is just another story giving the fans what they want by doing the same thing over and over again; Harley chewing Batman out about how letting the Joker live will just mean that the same thing will happen over and over again) and if Tynion just has this end the same way every other Batman vs the Joker story goes I think I will be done with anything ever having the Joker (I know some goons were done with the character ages ago).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This one feels much more straightforward compared to when Snyder did his big Joker fight and where he, iirc, pushed the idea that they were growing more similar and closer to being exactly like the other, Tynion is trying to drive the opposite and push Batman towards a less edgy and more hopeful perspective.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Alfred is alive again?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

radlum posted:

Alfred is alive again?

Nah, Bruce gets poisoned with hallucinogens and has a vision of Alfred telling him what's up after he doses with an (equally hallucinogenic) remedy made by Poison Ivy.

I really enjoyed that segment in particular. It's poignant, but very hopeful, and it's clear-headed about good and evil when Batman writers often prefer to be hard-boiled and ambiguous.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

DC Universe announced it's going comics only in January with a 6 month delay instead of a year.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

AlmightyBob posted:

DC Universe announced it's going comics only in January with a 6 month delay instead of a year.

About time, too.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
this is rumored to be a reworked version of some of the mostly-new legacy character stuff that was originally planned for 5G, most likely as a Batman Beyond-type alternate future rather than in continuity

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1306981160405200897

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hopefully that means HBOMax gets the rest of the DC stuff they didn't have yet.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Hopefully that means HBOMax gets the rest of the DC stuff they didn't have yet.

as far as DC Universe originals go, yes, that's official as of today. Back catalog stuff is less clear, unfortunately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did Titans get renewed?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah Titans and Harley Quinn both go HBO Max exclusive going forward with their next season. I imagine it means they'll add Titans back catalog shortly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Barry Convex posted:

as far as DC Universe originals go, yes, that's official as of today. Back catalog stuff is less clear, unfortunately.

Back catalog is what I want dammit. Still need to do a complete chronological binge of the Diniverse.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Back catalog is what I want dammit. Still need to do a complete chronological binge of the Diniverse.

It will almost certainly go up as soon as DCU is comics only. They even have a DC portal on the site.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’m laughing at the idea of removing features from a service and then adding the word “Infinite” to the name.

I get that DC had no say in the matter of content, but why not give the comics-only service a new name or just leave it alone?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah Titans and Harley Quinn both go HBO Max exclusive going forward with their next season. I imagine it means they'll add Titans back catalog shortly.

yeah Titans S1-2 were confirmed today

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

They should have never had anything but comics in dc universe I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to split videos over multiple platforms

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AlmightyBob posted:

They should have never had anything but comics in dc universe I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to split videos over multiple platforms

Supposedly it was a major reason as to why Didio was poo poo canned, he had a lot input and influence on the service.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlmightyBob posted:

The 'curated comics' content notion did them no favors, too, which could very well also be Didio's influence as Rhyno says. Marvel fell off the wagon for just putting everything and anything on their service of late, but they started that way and DC should have done the same. You published Sovereign Seven, DC! Own it! Put that up digitally.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

this is rumored to be a reworked version of some of the mostly-new legacy character stuff that was originally planned for 5G, most likely as a Batman Beyond-type alternate future rather than in continuity

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1306981160405200897

Alt. Future continuity seems like it has potential for some good stuff. Batman Beyond exists right now and it's okay. Nothing super must read, but it's not terrible and it fits a lot better than some of the other Beyond series like the one where Babs and Bruce actually hook up

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s a story for Future State in Detective Comics #1027. A Batman in his first year experiences a time flux (a picture of his parents changes from being from 1985 to 1915), and is picked up by a time traveling Kamandi at the behest of an old Booster Gold.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

AlmightyBob posted:

While it was kinda dumb to do that for such a niche thing, it was prob thought of at a time before AT&T owned Warner and HBO Max happened, when they had multiple different small services (Boomerang, Filmstruck)

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Open Marriage Night posted:

There’s a story for Future State in Detective Comics #1027. A Batman in his first year experiences a time flux (a picture of his parents changes from being from 1985 to 1915), and is picked up by a time traveling Kamandi at the behest of an old Booster Gold.

You're forgetting that Kamandi continues the long tradition of Bad Future Badasses With Robot Arms, only this time the robot arm is Skeets

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

it comes down to the timing. DC Universe was announced in April 2017, about a year and a half before the announcement of what would become HBO Max, and launched about one month before that announcement. in between, the AT&T merger went into effect in June 2018

so basically, DC Universe was a holdover from the previous Warner regime, and by the time HBO Max was a thing, it was presumably too close to launch and too much money had been spent on it for WB to just kill the service and shelve all the original programming another year and a half until HBO Max launch

(though let's be real here, even without HBO Max, it never made much business sense in the first place, the audience for a streaming service exclusively for DC Comics IP was always going to be pretty niche)

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 20, 2020

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I never subbed to the DCU app for the sole reason that it wasn't available on PS4, and that's what I use for every single one of my other streaming apps. Several of my friends never subbed to it for the same reason. I would suspect that the service would have been more of a success if they had actually gotten DCU onto the PS4.

Did they ever explain why it never got a PS4 app?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think there's something strange about being a video app on PS4, because things like the UFC have apps on Xbox, Smart TVs, you name it, but have always been super tight lipped about coming to PS4.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've seen people talk about getting approved by Sony is a much more arduous process than for X Box and some people decide it's just not worth it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's what I've heard too, Sony is really paranoid about software exposure after PSN got hacked 10 years ago.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tom Taylor says read Suicide Squad quick as you can because Spoilers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dawgstar posted:

Tom Taylor says read Suicide Squad quick as you can because Spoilers.

Always look at Tom Taylor’s precious books.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Jeff Loveness wrote a nice issues of Shazam.

Re: Suicide Squad - Remember Lex's gift to Black Mask and how I suggested he should've used it to impersonate Bruce? Well, he did something similar and I have to applaud it.

Edit: There's a version of a virus truther in DCeased, lol. Nice.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 22, 2020

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

bobkatt013 posted:

Always look at Tom Taylor’s precious books.

Facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I know there aren't a whole lot of Wally West or even The Flash fans around these parts, but anyone who does like Wally should probably pick up Speed Metal.