Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Too soon for Smythe talk?
I'm thinking Kucherov/Khudobin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dallas is a lame city while Tampa has the uh... and um... you know, that... hmm

Ybor has that club with the rotating floor that cripples people I guess.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Aphrodite posted:

Dallas is a lame city while Tampa has the uh... and um... you know, that... hmm

Ybor has that club with the rotating floor that cripples people I guess.

The lightning are the tampa bay lightning. So you get to include the hrmmm Scientologist buildings in Clearwater?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I already talked about the place that cripples people.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...impression=true

quote:

So, what’s been the source of the Stars’ success, if not their formerly great goaltending? For starters, they’ve made vast improvements in their special teams play while in the bubble. During the regular season, Dallas converted just 21.1 percent of its power play opportunities (13th in the league) and had a penalty kill percentage of 79.7 (17th in the league). Those numbers have jumped quite a bit during the playoffs: The Stars have converted 27.3 percent of their power play opportunities (fifth in the league) and have a penalty kill percentage of 83.3 (ninth in the league) in the bubble.

Stats nerds miss the point, more at eleven.

They say the goaltending hasn't been as good as it was in the regular season. This is true! They then say that clearly the reason for the Stars success is not goaltending. The stats lead this poor dingus astray--aside from the Avalanche series Khudobin has been THE reason the Stars have made it this far.

I get what he is trying to say, I do--but to dismiss the goaltending as "formerly" great really shows your rear end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...impression=true

Stats nerds miss the point, more at eleven.

They say the goaltending hasn't been as good as it was in the regular season. This is true! They then say that clearly the reason for the Stars success is not goaltending. The stats lead this poor dingus astray--aside from the Avalanche series Khudobin has been THE reason the Stars have made it this far.

I get what he is trying to say, I do--but to dismiss the goaltending as "formerly" great really shows your rear end.

If you're going on 538 at all that's your own fault.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1307033219393560580

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Its ridiculous how good Tampa is. Oh, we're down our superstar #1 center, no problem

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I’d be happy if stammer came in and played PP only just ripping zingers from the top of the circle and logging 4:00 of ice time a game.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Until two weeks ago that was basically Guryanov's deployment, so maybe Coop can dip into those old Bowness lessons.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DJExile posted:

If you're going on 538 at all that's your own fault.

Fair enough. I caught it on Twitter, and then my eyes fell out. So really a double play of garbage

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

clean ayers act posted:

Its ridiculous how good Tampa is. Oh, we're down our superstar #1 center, no problem

They're used to it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
They won before the lockout, so either bolts in five or Virii in five for their first cup in 101 years.

E: messed up my work stoppages

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 18, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It'd be cool if Stamkos got in. I'm, uh, not sure I've ever actually seen him play hockey.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I've been alerted to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXv468dEmbU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

clean ayers act posted:

Dallas is down their best player too!!!!

And i'm not making a Tyler Seguin joke..

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don’t really like either team but I’m still mad about 1999 so I’ll be rooting against Dallas, much like how I will be voting against Trump in November.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

God drat I love Dobby

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

clean ayers act posted:

Yeah I wonder about the other times a #1 player has been out but a team still won the cup.

The only one off the top of my head is Letang with the Pens in 2017

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1307061878380802049

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm going to watch it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to care who wins.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It would be easier if the Lightning won because then in 5 years you all won’t have to say “boy I hope Team X wins so Hedman/Palat/Point/whoever can finally get a cup.”

Let’s just get them all a cup right now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Carver posted:

Yeah I wonder about the other times a #1 player has been out but a team still won the cup.

The only one off the top of my head is Letang with the Pens in 2017
He wasn't their best player (altho neither is Stamkos) but the Avs won in 2001 with Forsberg missing the last 2 rounds

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It is the day of game 1. I'm currently drunk for a friend's bachelor party.

I'm still not ready.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Wow Dallas is in a cup final. I sort of remember the last time that happened. Mike Modano, Derian Hatcher, Nieuwendijk and Eddie the Eagle. Fun team and a great period of hockey with Jagr still with the Penguins and Theo Fleury tearing it up.
I am slightly rooting for Tampa who I feel is one of the best organisations in the NHL and for Stamkos to play. But I wish both teams success and have no ill wishes towards either.
Hedman or Chudobin for MVP?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Go Stars imo

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shinjobi posted:

I'm still not ready.

Sober September, the in-laws are arriving shortly for the weekend, and my neighbour initiated a property dispute earlier this week. It's all background noise to the Stars. Go Stars.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

MRLOLAST posted:

Wow Dallas is in a cup final. I sort of remember the last time that happened. Mike Modano, Derian Hatcher, Nieuwendijk and Eddie the Eagle. Fun team and a great period of hockey with Jagr still with the Penguins and Theo Fleury tearing it up.
I am slightly rooting for Tampa who I feel is one of the best organisations in the NHL and for Stamkos to play. But I wish both teams success and have no ill wishes towards either.

Goaltenders never get the Smythe so unless he wins with 2+ shutouts in the series it'll be Heiskanen.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MRLOLAST posted:

it'll be either Hedman, Point, or Heiskanen. last time a goalie won the Conn Smythe was back in 2012 and Jon Quick.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

DOOMocrat posted:

Goaltenders never get the Smythe so unless he wins with 2+ shutouts in the series it'll be Heiskanen.
Goalies have won 16 of 54 Conn Smythes, so a shade under 30% of the time. Wingers have won 11, defensemen have won 10, centres have won 17.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Dallas in 7. I have no statistical or other reason to make this pick, just a feeling

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ovi got the Conn Smyth for his career more than his performance in the playoffs back in 2018. Kuzy was arguably better.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Ovi got the Conn Smyth for his career more than his performance in the playoffs back in 2018. Kuzy was arguably better.

I mean marginally maybe but Ovie still had 15 goals and was over a ppg. That was hardly some "let's just give it to the guy people know" like Crosby when he had 19pts in 2016.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I mean marginally maybe but Ovie still had 15 goals and was over a ppg. That was hardly some "let's just give it to the guy people know" like Crosby when he had 19pts in 2016.

Kessel got robbed that year :colbert:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Crosby was the correct choice in 2016. And in any event it's hard to care if they went with the #2 choice if the #1 choice is not some obvious landslide winner.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Yeah but I like Phil Kessel more.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/seanshapiro/status/1307333289267560450

:rip:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jeff Halpern getting a cup would be cool, I guess.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Go Stars all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What is Stamkos' injury anyway? Its been so nebulous

Shinjobi posted:

I'm still not ready.

Something something COVID party