Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I would recommend just starting a new file. Even if you did a lot on the PC just rushing through to the new content feels pretty odd and you get a smoother experience fresh.

Edit: This is true even if you play the PC version.

I actually had bought the PC version a long while back but was waiting for 1.0. I have a very fresh save on PC that I was hoping to switch back and forth on, don't really want to have two different campaigns going simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I feel like Galaxy has kind of a slow start and the central gimmick takes a little getting used to but once the momentum builds the highs are so high. Galaxy 2 is in some ways a better game though and if they ever do it as dlc or a separate switch release I will totally buy that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing about all of the 3D Marios is that they all have fairly slow starts. It takes a bit to get to the points where they really shine, Odyssey included.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The best 3d Mario is SM3dW.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

The best 3d Mario is SM3dW.

:chloe:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why has everyone suddenly become wrong about Galaxy?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I haven't liked a mario game since mairo world, but picked this up because people never shut up about galaxy which I never played. Here's my impressions in the first hour:

Why is there a story in this game, please poo poo the hell up characters.

The controls are dog poo poo when anything involves gravity and you have to figure out what left is. Annoying.

When you aren't fighting the controls it's fun but meh. I wonder if it's because I'm using the pro controller.

I don't think the 3d series is for u I'm sorry

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The thing about all of the 3D Marios is that they all have fairly slow starts. It takes a bit to get to the points where they really shine, Odyssey included.

Yeah I restarted Odyssey a few weeks back and you’re right. That whole cappy world they start you out at suuuuuucks and the game doesn’t really hit its stride as an all time great game until New Donk City which I was surprised how late in the game that actually is.

And frankly, the game really kinda of rushes you through each world on first play through. Like you get 6 moons and Cappy is like “Let’s get the gently caress out of here, quick!”

And the game is way better once you’ve gotten all of the “look, we’re gonna zoom in on this boss you have to fight and we’d really prefer it if you just went straight there despite these worlds being so full of all sorts of secrets and fun nooks and crannies to explore” bullshit out of the way.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Galaxy/2 is my absolute favorite Mario game to play but honestly it might be kinda weird playing it with a standard controller. I was one of the weirdos who really enjoyed the nunchuck + shake to spin controls. Very fluid and comfortable.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mahoning posted:

the game doesn’t really hit its stride as an all time great game until New Donk City

The game doesn't hit it's stride until 1/2 way through. It's an all-time great!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I restarted Odyssey a few weeks back and you’re right. That whole cappy world they start you out at suuuuuucks and the game doesn’t really hit its stride as an all time great game until New Donk City which I was surprised how late in the game that actually is.

And frankly, the game really kinda of rushes you through each world on first play through. Like you get 6 moons and Cappy is like “Let’s get the gently caress out of here, quick!”

And the game is way better once you’ve gotten all of the “look, we’re gonna zoom in on this boss you have to fight and we’d really prefer it if you just went straight there despite these worlds being so full of all sorts of secrets and fun nooks and crannies to explore” bullshit out of the way.

I started a second playthrough last week and just rushed the story and did the bare minimum in each world so I could unlock the postgame only moons in each world and just have fun hunting things down without getting confused as to what I've already done and that works much better, unfortunately there's really no way to intuit that on a first run through.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Am I wrong and hopelessly deluded for hoping that Nintendo is planning a Zelda 3D AllStars as well

the idea of "Majora's Mask in HD" and "Skyward Sword but with markedly less lovely controls" is an enticing one

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Am I wrong and hopelessly deluded for hoping that Nintendo is planning a Zelda 3D AllStars as well

the idea of "Majora's Mask in HD" and "Skyward Sword but with markedly less lovely controls" is an enticing one

Hopelessly deluded when they've got that Hyrule Calamity and BOTW 2 coming

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

how can people be complaining about Mario 64's camera when Galaxy's is the same poo poo without half the options 64 gave you to mitigate it. And why does recentering the camera also lock Mario in place? Sunshine already got this poo poo right!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, the game is in 30 FPS, but my eyes upscale that to infinite FPS!

More accurately, they convert it to analog for your brain

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hopelessly deluded when they've got that Hyrule Calamity and BOTW 2 coming

I mean, they’re about to release Paper Mario, Mario 3DAS, and SM3DW in less than a year. I don’t see any problem with a handful of standard Zeldas + a different genre Zelda game in a single year.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

They absolutely will. My guess is that the All Stars collection will contain Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, and the Skyward Sword HD that’s been rumored for years. Other options include the 3D remasters of Ocarina of Time and Majoras mask that came out on 3DS but they may just upscale the N64 originals like they did with Mario64. They have plenty of options and something will happen.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, if anyone has issues getting 3D All Stars, go to Target. The one by me had two dedicated shelves for it and the dude I talked to said each store should be getting a ton.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
But my retirement nest egg...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario 64 is a 240p game, they render it at 720p because that's a clean integer scale, you aren't going to get anything out of going to 1080 on it except maybe some shimmering and some screen warping.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They shoulda put in widescreen tbh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
im glad to know that mario was extra thicc in 64. that is an rear end

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Mario 64 is a 240p game, they render it at 720p because that's a clean integer scale, you aren't going to get anything out of going to 1080 on it except maybe some shimmering and some screen warping.

"3D games and bitmapped 2D games: these are the same, to me"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cartoon Man posted:

Other options include the 3D remasters of Ocarina of Time and Majoras mask that came out on 3DS but they may just upscale the N64 originals like they did with Mario64. They have plenty of options and something will happen.
Hoping for the latter, TBH, I don't really like the aesthetic of MM3D. The fact that 64 was ported, and not 64 DS makes me hopeful, I'd love a new definitive version of MM to play. The Wii VC version is great, but now that I've seen the resolution it could be, I have a great need.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They aren't scaling it up, it's being rendered at 720p internally. Integer scaling has nothing to do with it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
not being able to change inverted/noninverted camera in Sunshine is really bad

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Spanish Manlove posted:

not being able to change inverted/noninverted camera in Sunshine is really bad
They're trying to do you a favor and make you not play it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm glad that for once my many pages of shitposting has actually been accurate and Mario actually is everywhere

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hopelessly deluded when they've got that Hyrule Calamity

What is supposed to be new in Calamity btw? The first Hyrule Warriors game seemed pretty... I dunno, complete when it came to content. I certainly don't think I'll ever come close to 100%ing it.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

American McGay posted:

Galaxy/2 is my absolute favorite Mario game to play but honestly it might be kinda weird playing it with a standard controller. I was one of the weirdos who really enjoyed the nunchuck + shake to spin controls. Very fluid and comfortable.

I tried playing Galaxy in handheld mode, and touching the screen got annoying to me. Switching to tabletop with joycons was an immensely better experience that really felt like nunchuck+wiimote... and then I realized that when I was pressing Y to punch, I was also swinging my hand like the original motion controls called for, despite not touching a Galaxy game in the last 5 years. It feels THAT familiar. So no idea how the pro controller feels, but you will probably enjoy it with split joycons.

After a few hours of play in each mode, I'm going to guess that Galaxy 2 is out because of the combination of Yoshi controls and the switch lite. That would probably be horrendous to play through with the touchscreen/button mishmash they implemented for handheld mode.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

What is supposed to be new in Calamity btw? The first Hyrule Warriors game seemed pretty... I dunno, complete when it came to content. I certainly don't think I'll ever come close to 100%ing it.

They haven't announced much yet, but considering this one seems focused on the BotW era exclusively, I'd imagine it has entirely new maps, mob types, playable characters/weapons, and Adventure Mode. It won't be as robust as HW Switch was at launch, but HW Switch was the third incarnation of the game following two previous releases that BOTH had their own campaigns as well as having expansive post-launch DLC each time, all included in one package. It'll be years before HW2 has the content breadth to match that.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I still really loving hate Tiny-Huge Island.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
If any of you are worried about stock, I was able to get a copy of SM3DAS at my local Target. They had probably 40-50 copies. Check the stock in your Target app.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

They absolutely will. My guess is that the All Stars collection will contain Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, and the Skyward Sword HD that’s been rumored for years. Other options include the 3D remasters of Ocarina of Time and Majoras mask that came out on 3DS but they may just upscale the N64 originals like they did with Mario64. They have plenty of options and something will happen.

I find that really really improbable. The previous collection was just a pre-order bonus and missed out on a lot of material between the NES and 64 releases. Also Zelda doesn't quite have the pull and universality as Mario does. Link's not their company mascot in the way Mario is, and in that sense wouldn't get that special treatment I think.

They'd make far more money just releasing things individually, and I'm not sure that'll happen either.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wow..the SM64 controls are bad.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

Wow..the SM64 controls are bad.
Bruh...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also Zelda doesn't quite have the pull and universality as Mario does. Link's not their company mascot in the way Mario is, and in that sense wouldn't get that special treatment I think.

BOTW sold 600k more copies than Odyssey tho

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

I've gotten into Galaxy for the first time and it has not dissuaded my from my position that Odyssey is the first great Mario game since 64 (for its time)

I'm willing to agree. Galaxy is gorgeous, but holy poo poo this game is overrated.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I find the controls and camera to be a bit awkward for galaxy and that’s probably why I started it like 5 times for Wii but never got past the first 5 galaxies. The controls are slightly less awkward on the switch, but the camera is still bonkers in some areas.

If you’ve played odyssey recently at all it’s probably a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And if you want a REAL trip, play the still - supremely-excellent Super Mario Bros 2, which is "what if Mario, but weird and still good?"

Game is a strange masterpiece.

I've been playing through this lately and I completely forgot about the level with the LSD clouds, SMW2 rules

American McGay posted:

Play it with detached Joy-Cons, it feels extremely similar to the Wiimote + nunchuk combo

First thoughts on Super Mario Galaxy: Cash Grab Edition:

I usually prefer Joy-Cons for anything involving motion controls and this is no different; trying to point/aim with the gyros on the Pro Controller felt unbearably awkward and clunky. I do appreciate that they mapped the spin/activate launch stars/etc functions to Y, I prefer that for spinning but somehow still find shaking the controller to activate launch stars to be way more satisfying.

The cursor can sometimes be jumpy and erratic; not a game-breaker by any means, but it can be frustrating while trying to scoop up a bunch of star bits at a time.

Also, as noted in some reviews, there's some really obvious color-banding and graininess issues with some of the level backgrounds, to the point where it's distracting at times; but, all it takes is a few seconds of whistling along to the soundtrack for me to forget all about that.

A few very minor issues, but overall, it's still just as magical as the first time I played it :)

(I loving love this soundtrack so, so much)