Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

CJacobs posted:

Are you sure? When you pantomime a phone with your hands, do you extend the thumb and pinky?

Pfft. Check out this loser who's never done any improv classes.

Guys?

Guys?

I said check out this loser who hasn't taken any improv classes.

Hello?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The bureau has one rule with regards to pantomiming common objects that do not represent an archetypal concept: when in doubt, pinky out.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

^^^ I haven't played Foundation because it looks extremely boring, is there a Nidhoggr?

Foundation has some interesting lore/background info stuff in it but the gameplay was pretty boring unless you really enjoy a lot of using levitate to float over bits of the astral plane.

If you're super into the story of the Bureau and the Oldest House, it's worth playing because it does provide some really interesting bits on that - but maybe turn the assist mode up or something to make the fights quicker.

Danger - Octopus! has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Sep 16, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJacobs posted:

Are you sure? When you pantomime a phone with your hands, do you extend the thumb and pinky? Why do you think save icons in video games are still tapes and floppy disks? Old school nokia style cell phones aren't even in the collective unconscious yet, let alone new smart era phones which are all just nondescript black rectangles.

I feel like very specific designs of mobile phone would probably work there, but the task of figuring out which ones went in the 'too hard' basket.

It's probably flip phones, solely through weird coincidence. While they weren't around for that long, I feel like that existed in our mind as 'The Future Phone Shape' for so long that it probably has some power from that front. ...although that kinda leads us into the question of 'would famous props or replicas work in there'. If you bring in an authentic enough light saber, does it work? Would airsoft weapons work on the Persona 5 rule, where if they're realistic enough to pass for the real thing then they fire actual bullets?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Biplane posted:

I'm having trouble deciding if this is a side effect of my xbone being first gen and my tv being bad or if its a graphical effect, but I noticed the characters in Control leave these faint tracers when moving, at least in cutscenes. It's a very trippy effect.

I think the game uses a very heavy handed temporal antialiasing method, so reflections and occlusion and stuff tend to be a moment behind the action. If it wasn’t in a game that was trying to be real trippy it might be annoying but in Control it’s a great visual effect.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Thank you for the replies. I understand what it means now.

My eyes just start to glaze over when I hit a string of words like that.

You also couldn’t bring a trampoline in, since Tramp-o-line was a brand name.
Frisbee is right out.
A Nintendo would be a no-go. So many grandparents have called every game system since a “ Nintendo”
And that grey box being so iconic, as well as reviving the entire video games industry, I imagine it would be pretty powerful.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flint_Paper posted:

Pfft. Check out this loser who's never done any improv classes.

Guys?

Guys?

I said check out this loser who hasn't taken any improv classes.

Hello?

Yes, and...?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Since Odyssey shits moons at me I can just leave a level without actually doing it's goal. Later seaside kingdom, I literally don't care about your water

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Recently beat Control so I appreciate reading the thread thoughts on it.

I returned to Desperados 3 and it’s such a dopamine hit for me when I approach situation where guards are heavily patrolling an area and am able to orchestrate a move that uses 4 characters to kill 6 enemies in less than a second. I don’t really care you you have eyes on one guy I’m shooting, I have someone right behind you ready to gank you before you even hear the gunshot.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I loved the concept of Control, I just hated playing it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

rodbeard posted:

I loved the concept of Control, I just hated playing it.

Everything about Control feels like they had amazing base ideas that they just couldn't make a full game out of, so they just dropped in an extremely generic shooter to give it some structure.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Control gets credit for creating telekinesis powers that actually have weight to them and feel satisfying to use. Most games tend to add telekinesis as a sort of afterthought skill tree and common physics engines have a tendency to make it seem like objects you're throwing around don't really have any mass.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My xbone is having a hard time with Control and the framerate goes directly into the toilet when a lot is going on (which is often) and I am not ashamed to say I used assist mode to make it easier. The little thing is assist mode and every game should have it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm playing through for the third(!) time and assist mode really is nice. I beat it normally before, but turning damage down a bit just makes it feel closer to a normal level of difficulty I'd find fun in a game. A really good way to get around the problems inherent in its original adaptive difficulty model.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Len posted:

Since Odyssey shits moons at me I can just leave a level without actually doing it's goal. Later seaside kingdom, I literally don't care about your water

I just love how you can wander off in a random direction and muck about and stumble on half a dozen moons.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Everything about Control feels like they had amazing base ideas that they just couldn't make a full game out of, so they just dropped in an extremely generic shooter to give it some structure.

It's cool that you didn't like it and all, but opinions like this make me feel like I played an entirely different game. If it's extremely generic, where are all these other games that let me fly around the battlefield, telekinetically smashing vending machines into dudes while mind controlling their friends? Bouncing back and forth between your two regenerating resources gave the combat a satisfying rhythm that was pretty unique to the game, and the way it encourages mobility by making enemies drop health when they're damaged and making their accuracy go to poo poo when you move around a lot lets you be kind of crazy aggressive in a way that doesn't work in a lot of games.

It was far from perfect (constantly having to stop and break down mods to free up inventory space got old real quick) but when I was finished with it, I was pretty bummed because I couldn't think of any other games that were fun in the particular way that Control was.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hadn't really played a game like Control since Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, which also ruled. Hard to consider that "generic" when about 50 million souls and arkham clones have been made within that same 8 year timespan.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My favorite little thing in SOR4 is how there's always room to improve. It's very tricky to link together large portions of a level, but you can do so for m-m-mega combos! Finally got the full two-screen link for Police Precinct yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU5husZ0cs

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CJacobs posted:

Are you sure? When you pantomime a phone with your hands, do you extend the thumb and pinky?

Kids actually don't do this any more, they mime phoning by holding a flat palm to their ear.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
smdh none of you are sidetalkin

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

My favorite little thing in SOR4 is how there's always room to improve. It's very tricky to link together large portions of a level, but you can do so for m-m-mega combos! Finally got the full two-screen link for Police Precinct yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU5husZ0cs

Nice one. You really feel the sluggishness of moving vertically watching this video.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I like Control but my PS4 just doesn't have the juice to keep up the frames when a lot of poo poo is going on. Unfortunately flying around throwing stuff into people and blasting stuff around the room counts as "a lot of poo poo going on" so I've shelved it for the time being.

In a game with combat like Control any amount of slowdown really messes with the pace of the game. I guess i'll pick it up on PS5 or wait for a patch.

Schneider Inside Her has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Sep 17, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I like Control but my PS4 just doesn't have the juice to keep up the frames when a lot of poo poo is going on. Unfortunately flying around throwing stuff into people and blasting stuff around the room counts as "a lot of poo poo going on" so I've shelved it for the time being.

Control was the first game I played that felt really “next gen” in terms of graphics and physics stuff, so I’m not really surprised a PS4 would struggle.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Control was the first game I played that felt really “next gen” in terms of graphics and physics stuff, so I’m not really surprised a PS4 would struggle.

That's my exact take on it, it instantly reminded me of something like Shadow of the Colossus in feeling incredible but probably a half generation ahead of what its base console could really do. I can't complain too much though, that let me play it way sooner than it it had been delayed for the next gen consoles or I'd waited to have a computer capable enough.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's my exact take on it, it instantly reminded me of something like Shadow of the Colossus in feeling incredible but probably a half generation ahead of what its base console could really do. I can't complain too much though, that let me play it way sooner than it it had been delayed for the next gen consoles or I'd waited to have a computer capable enough.

It came out not long after I got a pretty capable gaming laptop (1660ti graphics card) and it blew me away. I got a desktop with a 2070Super graphics card over the winter and the ray tracing turned what was :aaa: into :aaaaa: I really can’t wait to see how people who played it on PS4/Xbone react if there’s a next gen version, it’s incredible.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hades, I love that your character comments on certain characters that have changed their models for the 1.0 release.

Super Giant Games has always been great with their dialog

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Hades is exceptional and I am looking forward to sitting down with it on the switch.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Lenna's Inception: You can jump out of a rocket boost to jump further.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

Hades, I love that your character comments on certain characters that have changed their models for the 1.0 release.

Super Giant Games has always been great with their dialog

does this require coming from a pre-1.0 save? I was going to make a new save now that the game’s out but if they actually made special dialogue for this...

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It came out not long after I got a pretty capable gaming laptop (1660ti graphics card) and it blew me away. I got a desktop with a 2070Super graphics card over the winter and the ray tracing turned what was :aaa: into :aaaaa: I really can’t wait to see how people who played it on PS4/Xbone react if there’s a next gen version, it’s incredible.

There’s a next gen version, but only if you buy the new collectors edition that they just put out and not if you own any other version.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Italax posted:

There’s a next gen version, but only if you buy the new collectors edition that they just put out and not if you own any other version.

They've since said it'll be all versions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh my god, there's a drinking song contest in AssCreed: Odyssey:allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They've since said it'll be all versions.

Got a source on that? If that’s the case I might hold off on my DLC replay until my PS5 shows up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Italax posted:

I still don't understand why this is such a Big Deal. Every other gen people have just been fine with buying their games again but this time it's met with righteous fury

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The random NPC names in Disgaea have always been a delight. My favourite so far have been 'Codblops' and 'I ATE THE BONES!'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

I still don't understand why this is such a Big Deal. Every other gen people have just been fine with buying their games again but this time it's met with righteous fury

People definitely grumbled about HD remakes across other generations, especially when they didn't have anything extra beyond a resolution bump. But at least there they had the excuse that the console platform did not allow you to insert your last-gen copy and have it automatically recognized and switch to the updated version.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That's a solid half of Nintendo's revenue stream, just selling the same games over and over and over on new platforms.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Oh my god, there's a drinking song contest in AssCreed: Odyssey:allears:

I loved this part. You can tell that Kassandra's VA can actually sing, even though she's trying to do it poorly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dewgy posted:

Got a source on that? If that’s the case I might hold off on my DLC replay until my PS5 shows up.

I swear blind I saw an article on this on IGN or in the PS4 thread saying they'd changed it, but damned if I can find it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

haveblue posted:

People definitely grumbled about HD remakes across other generations, especially when they didn't have anything extra beyond a resolution bump. But at least there they had the excuse that the console platform did not allow you to insert your last-gen copy and have it automatically recognized and switch to the updated version.

On the one hand sure, on the other hand you didn't buy it for ps5 and numbers gotta go up