Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
A supe nazi if u will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Romes128 posted:

That just means she’s extra nazi.

Double the armband..... triple the fun*!!

*punches to the head

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Romes128 posted:

A supe nazi if u will.

AAAAAAAAA

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ZZZorcerer posted:

Vought founder was a NAZI scientist (founder or hired scientist? can't remember), he went to America with his first successful experiment super NAZI soldier Stormfront so I guess the history is that she did so many awful things as Liberty that with public opinion changing about racism they 'retired' her and now she's back with a new name and reinvented to the new times.

She probably has a lot of pull inside the company and knows Edgar personally

His name is also Vought, so gotta be founder.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJS9ym8gArU

We be getting some answers next episode it appears. Probably.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aphrodite posted:

His name is also Vought, so gotta be founder.

You what? His name is Stan Edgars.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Keltar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJS9ym8gArU

We be getting some answers next episode it appears. Probably.

I don't care what his name is, I'm calling him Tetsuo.

E: I hope we get an orbital cannon taking shots at Homelander. And/or giant fleshmonster at some point

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
IMDB credits a man as playing Love Sausage next episode

(Content from the preview for this week's episode)
The shaved-head telekinetic crusher is portrayed by a nonbinary actor but the character is credited as "Cindy". They're a stunt-double specializing in contortion so expect things to be pretty hosed up!

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 20, 2020

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so where was all this Nazi praising when Man in the High Castle was coming out? Oh wait, poo poo, it doesn't seem like a lot of people watched that

(and by Nazi praising I mean threadshitters like bioshuffle)

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I don’t get what people are getting out of dogpiling Bioshuffle, saying a variation of the same things like it’s some kind of dunk contest, after esperterra (sp?) said it was played out.

Bioshuffle: Edgar said the origins of Vought were from a Nazi scientist, Liberty was one of the first supes, ergo around when he was doing Hitler’s bidding, and among other things she used the word “pure” when talking to A-Train. If you’re a turbo racist who believes in eugenics and racial “purity” then you’ve cleared the Nazi bar, regardless of the prominence of earrings, belt buckles and capes. Arguing that she’s “just a racist” seems like a strange hill to die on, anyway.

Maybe I’m too willing to suspend my disbelief of trolling.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 20, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

IMDB credits a man as playing Love Sausage next episode

The shaved-head telekinetic crusher is portrayed by a nonbinary actor but the character is credited as "Cindy". They're a stunt-double specializing in contortion so expect things to be pretty hosed up!

You might want to add the spoiler tags I just added to your original post, since you're talking about unaired episodes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

You what? His name is Stan Edgars.

Edgar is the current CEO, the nazi whose painting is on his office wall that founded the company was Frederick Vought.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jedit posted:

You might want to add the spoiler tags I just added to your original post, since you're talking about unaired episodes.

Spoiler tags for footage from the 'Next Week, On The Boys' preview?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Alchenar posted:

Oh poo poo, did anyone have 'Nazis did not wear capes' on their bingo card?

e: for anyone tracking: Still think Stormfront is nominally a plant by Vought to get Homelander back under control, though she obviously also has her own supe-nazi-supremist agenda going on. Also still think A-Train is on the long road to a redemption arc where the conflict is going to be when he ends up allied to The Boys and Hughie has to deal with that (although the climax of Season 1 had Hughie decide to save A-train's life, so the main part of the grief and anger he's carrying has been dealt with).

Which brings up the question- is her open disdain for Vought just a front? After all, the first time we see her, she is doing a live stream and making GBS threads on Vought to her fanbase.

Durzel posted:

Maybe I’m too willing to suspend my disbelief of trolling.
Categorizing someone as a troll is a pretty well known tactic to dismiss and delegitimizing people who disagree with you. It's a TV show and people have different takes on it :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Spoiler tags for footage from the 'Next Week, On The Boys' preview?

Yes, which some people avoid because they don't want spoilers for next week's episode.

E:

TVIV rules posted:

Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags.

E2: vvv I only saw you added tags after posting. Wasn't jumping down your neck again.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 20, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jedit posted:

Yes, which some people avoid because they don't want spoilers for next week's episode.

Huh! I added tags, but still, wow. That's a very narrow sliver of interaction they're going for if they read this thread but avoid promotional materials

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Stop responding to Bioshuffle you loving idiots.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Asgerd posted:

Stop responding to Bioshuffle you loving idiots.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Stormfront being 70+ years old and maybe an actual WWII-era Nazi lessons the impact of her character a bit.

There are tons of 30-year-old racists. Making her old feels a bit like it invokes the "product of her time" defence, like someone's racist Grandma that gets cut some slack because 'things were different back then'. Or it could be seen as presenting her kind of racism as something literally from a different era rather than something that's still endemic today.

I'd have made her a modern-day white supremacist instead of Captain Nazi from The Past, seems like it would've made her character hit home a bit more.

Having said that, the acting continues to be good. Homelander in particular is killing it with the facial expressions.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

jabby posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Stormfront being 70+ years old and maybe an actual WWII-era Nazi lessons the impact of her character a bit.

There are tons of 30-year-old racists. Making her old feels a bit like it invokes the "product of her time" defence, like someone's racist Grandma that gets cut some slack because 'things were different back then'. Or it could be seen as presenting her kind of racism as something literally from a different era rather than something that's still endemic today.

I'd have made her a modern-day white supremacist instead of Captain Nazi from The Past, seems like it would've made her character hit home a bit more.

Having said that, the acting continues to be good. Homelander in particular is killing it with the facial expressions.

I kinda agree, but my counterpoint would be that even after 70 years she's still relevant, and we're not as removed from that ugly past as we want to believe we are.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah, based on that Kripke quote that someone posted earlier about old evil in a new packaging, I think her being an actual Nazi who puts on a new face and tries to win over/recruit the youth with memes and live streams is...actually pretty on point.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah, based on that Kripke quote that someone posted earlier about old evil in a new packaging, I think her being an actual Nazi who puts on a new face and tries to win over/recruit the youth with memes and live streams is...actually pretty on point.
While we all know she's a Nazi, it's not necessarily obvious to people just casually watching the show. Her SS earrings are quite small, her belt buckle looks like a 'MURICA eagle at a glance, her armbands are our symbol, etc, and they already did one reveal that she used to be a white supremacist, so most of the audience is going to be shocked when they do the second reveal that she was a literal Nazi who has twice reinvented herself to keep up with the times.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

jabby posted:

Makes her feel bigger to me.

The weight of history. Inherited context. Authoritarianism. Mankind's irremovable proclivity for hierarchy.

Reminds me of the abject fascist from Shutter Island:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_jOoKtgCZs

"We've known each other centuries."

We will never be free of this.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

So far she's not tried to win anybody over to racism/white supremacy though. The meme stuff has just been about building herself up and bashing Vought.

Maybe it's gonna come later, but I still think having to apply suspension-of-disbelief over her being from the past diminishes the impact of her ideology. The old-evil/new-face thing makes sense, but it gets a bit cartoony when you're talking about an actual time-shifted Nazi with eagles and SS earrings. She feels out of place, when for most impact a racist character should feel uncomfortably not out of place.

My favorite scene though, despite it being a cocktease, is Homelander lasering the crowd. The look of pure joy on his face when he's finally able to cut loose with his powers and shut up his critics, followed immediately by almost childlike terror when he realises he's done something he can never take back.

Accretionist posted:

The weight of history. Inherited context. Authoritarianism. Mankind's irremovable proclivity for hierarchy.

Eh, it works with an allegorical semi-hallucinatory character but Stormfront is meant to be a real person. It makes her racism seem borrowed from the past rather than a problem of today.

jabby fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 20, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Accretionist posted:

And: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_niOqohcY&t=88s

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

jabby posted:

Eh, it works with an allegorical semi-hallucinatory character but Stormfront is meant to be a real person. It makes her racism seem borrowed from the past rather than a problem of today.
See, I like the metaphor of her being a literal Nazi.
Nazism is an ideology, and you can kill an ideology. No matter how times you defeat it, it's just going to hide away, waiting. It's also going to hide where you wouldn't expect it, like the concept of liberty.
It's not that her racism is borrowed from the past, it's that the ideology she represents is immortal.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

jabby posted:

It suits the times we live in, what happened with Germany and the Nazi's is so very close to what's going on with Trump and what he's been doing for the last several few years. When you know your history and you look at the parallels it really becomes troubling. Mainly because no matter what name you associate with it there is a lot of hate, venom and poison behind those causes that would see people dead and corrupt the very foundations of society itself twisting into something horrible capable of the worse crimes while justifying it. The name may change but the truth of the hatred behind it remains. Nazi. KKK. White Nationalist. It's all the same in the end. Those that cry *country here FIRST* tend to repeat the same words and patterns throughout history.

People like Stormfront thrive in such climates and help make things worse. Such is the poisonous ideology that transcends time itself.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 20, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Keltar posted:

It suits the times we live in, what happened with Germany and the Nazi's is so very close to what's going on with Trump and what he's been doing for the last several few years. When you know your history and you look at the parallels it really becomes troubling. Mainly because no matter what name you associate with it there is a lot of hate, venom and poison behind those causes that would see people dead and corrupt the very foundations of society itself twisting into something horrible capable of the worse crimes while justifying it. The name may change but the truth of the hatred behind it remains. Nazi. KKK. White Nationalist. It's all the same in the end. Those that cry *country here FIRST* tend to repeat the same words and patterns throughout history.

That's kinda my point. She didn't need to actually grow up during WWII to be a racist, and we don't need an actual historical Nazi to spread racism in our current time. It's all happening now, without the need for suspension of disbelief.

"People like Stormfront" is exactly it. There are no people like her, because she's a time-travelling 40's Nazi. Make her a common racist and there's plenty of people like her.

jabby fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 20, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Keltar posted:

People like Stormfront thrive in such climates and help make things worse.

She pretty much the classic example of a demagogue given things like tapping in populist rage and also how she's very effective at emotionally manipulating people while portraying herself as just looking out for people. .

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

jabby posted:

That's kinda my point. She didn't need to actually grow up during WWII to be a racist, and we don't need an actual historical Nazi to spread racism in our current time. It's all happening now, without the need for suspension of disbelief.

As this thread has proven some people are thick skull, they can't properly understand something unless it's shoved into their face, pointed at and called out repeatedly. Hence the nazi link because otherwise some people might excuse everything she does or says. Hell, some might even cheer for her for being American first despite all the horrible things she does. We are to that point in society, you only need to look at what's going on to see that. The actually being an nazi thing might actually get through to some that, oh hey, this is really a horrible person.

jabby posted:

"People like Stormfront" is exactly it. There are no people like her, because she's a time-travelling 40's Nazi. Make her a common racist and there's plenty of people like her.

Take away her powers and her age she really is like a lot of people. That is the point. The times have changed but she still plays to a certain group of people and worse there are plenty of people like her, that gladly support people like her. We hear about them every day now. They don't zap people or throw them through walls, they are real and in many ways that's even more scary than some TV nazi with powers because it has somehow become normalized and popularized which again if you know history, never ends well. That's why they got to make her a nazi, to say it's bad. Because that's how hosed up poo poo has gotten.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 20, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I remember a movie called Look Who's Back where Hitler is timetravelled to modern Germany (it never explains how), and he goes around being literally Hitler and the only people that have a problem with him are neo nazis who think he's mocking them. Everyone else thinks he's some method actor even when he's on a latenight tv show to talk about what he would do if he were in charge again.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

As Nero Danced posted:

I remember a movie called Look Who's Back where Hitler is timetravelled to modern Germany (it never explains how), and he goes around being literally Hitler and the only people that have a problem with him are neo nazis who think he's mocking them. Everyone else thinks he's some method actor even when he's on a latenight tv show to talk about what he would do if he were in charge again.

It's actually based on a book called the same. Both are very good, and worth the watch or read depending on ones preference. It's very well done because some parts of the movie were filmed with people who had no clue he was an actor or this was for a film and were basically agreeing with what he was saying which if you know anything about Hitler, that's troubling which is the point. Basically they partly pulled a Borat.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Keltar posted:

It's actually based on a book called the same. Both are very good, and worth the watch or read depending on ones preference. It's very well done because some parts of the movie were filmed with people who had no clue he was an actor or this was for a film and were basically agreeing with what he was saying which if you know anything about Hitler, that's troubling which is the point. Basically they partly pulled a Borat.

I always suspected they filmed those scenes like that, I was neve sure. Makes a lot of those conversations he had a lot creepier.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

This is an impressively bad thread.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

jabby posted:

So far she's not tried to win anybody over to racism/white supremacy though. The meme stuff has just been about building herself up and bashing Vought.

My memory is a little fuzzy but IIRC there's been a couple points where she's said nativist/fear mongering stuff. When she steals Homelander's thunder and makes that big speech to the crowd in episode 2 or 3, there's a line about foreigners or someone invading our borders, or something to that effect.

Then when she's showing Homelander the memes her guy is making for him in this last episode, there was at least one with real strong post-9/11 security state vibes. Also the "you've got fans, I've got soldiers" line is pretty indicative that she's recruiting people for something. And again, since the showrunner has come right out and said what they're trying to do with this character, it's hard not to look at that as a reference to the alt right meme warfare stuff.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 20, 2020

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nooneofconsequence posted:

Forget it nooneofconsequence, it's TVIV.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

withak posted:

Forget it nooneofconsequence, it's TVIV.

In the grand history of bad TVIV threads, this one has been pretty mild.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This thread was stabbed.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Its a decent thread from release of a new episode until 12-18 hours in. Then the idle bad speculation and willful boneheadedness kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, that actor is Heinrich Himmler in Man in the High Castle. How ironic