Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ravenfood posted:

The gun skill making gun damage go up as it does is also really easy to abstract: sure some of your "aiming" is you, but some of it is your character. Instead of getting a headshot because the player can put crosshairs over a head well, the character converts it into a shot in the eye, or aims between some armored plates for a slightly more damaging shot. IDK, but its not totally insane.

This also ties in with how HP normally works as an abstraction of damage. An elite human enemy isn't necessarily tanking a dozen shotgun blasts to the face, the game is to some degree simulating that some of those shots were deflected by armor, missed due to enemy evasiveness, and whatever other defensive factors might be in play. A high HP pool allows all that to get averaged out so that you get the satisfaction of making steady progress, but thinking about it realistically, when they're one shot away from death they may only be lightly grazed or injured, but the next shot is "The One" that hits a critical spot. I'm reminded of a Jedi Knight or Jedi Outcast mod I saw back in the day that kind of simulated that; lightsabers were virtually always a one-hit kill, but characters basically had a pool of "luck" or evasion capability that let them dodge everything up to that one last hit.

For an alternative system, you can look at Morrowind and how deeply frustrating it was for a low level character to constantly whiff every swing because of how weapon skill worked. Or why most computer RPGs got the hell away from THAC0 as soon as they could simulate something more complex than dice rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lt. Danger posted:

unintuitively I think if you want to explore the spectrum between gun-fumbling incompetence and revolver-spinning ricochet genius then a First Person Shooter is not the way to do it

There are different levels of "immersion" which come with different sets of expectations. In Fallout 2 you tell your character to shoot the Wanamingo, the character misses, and you call the character an rear end in a top hat for having a low Small Guns score. In New Vegas, because it's first person, if you aim directly at the Lobotomite and miss because you have a low Guns score then it's the game that's an rear end in a top hat for making you miss, even though basically the same thing happened under the hood

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

2house2fly posted:

There are different levels of "immersion" which come with different sets of expectations. In Fallout 2 you tell your character to shoot the Wanamingo, the character misses, and you call the character an rear end in a top hat for having a low Small Guns score. In New Vegas, because it's first person, if you aim directly at the Lobotomite and miss because you have a low Guns score then it's the game that's an rear end in a top hat for making you miss, even though basically the same thing happened under the hood

Sorry. I'm so sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU8oxcgkkis

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

In the entire time that I have been playing New Vegas, I have never once managed to actually complete Lily's companion quest without using the console. It feels so drat finicky trying to trip the triggers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Take her into a deathclaw, Cazador or Nightstalker den so she goes berserk in combat to get her anger dialogue and then just walk with her for a while.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Or you could just shoot her yourself. Cut out the middle man.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I never know what to do with Lilly. It seems really mean to make her take her meds and forget her grandkiddos but having her stay confused isn't a good outcome and having her go full-Leo isn't good for the Greater New Vegas Region, either?

:(

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Schadenboner posted:

I never know what to do with Lilly. It seems really mean to make her take her meds and forget her grandkiddos but having her stay confused isn't a good outcome and having her go full-Leo isn't good for the Greater New Vegas Region, either?

:(

There are no good outcomes for Lily, unless you think living a long life is a good in and of itself, and the best way for her to do that is to take her meds and let go of her past. Which fits the themes of the game, since it's all about coming to terms with the past, letting it go, and looking to the future.

I usually have her do the half-doses, because having her completely forget her grandkids feels too cruel. Her whole situation is depressing.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The thing for me is that, even more than Raul, Lily just seems completely unconnected to the main plot of the game and it is always easy to basically just ignore her and leave her hanging around the Lucky 38 the whole time. She doesn't even affect the Jacobstown quests which seems very weird given how interwoven most of the companions are to their 'home' locations.

Also, a story about this thing popped up in my google feed on my phone earlier in the week and it looks pretty great. Has anyone else tried it out yet?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NorgLyle posted:

Also, a story about this thing popped up in my google feed on my phone earlier in the week and it looks pretty great. Has anyone else tried it out yet?

I haven't, but I am surprised at how good the screenshots look. I don't care for a lot of the existing texture mods for the game; they tend to lose the spirit of the originals. This looks great though, really does seem to look just like the originals but sharper. GANs have gotten a lot better in the last few years, I guess.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308028385877204993?s=19

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308029942018510848?s=19

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1308028874962337793?s=19

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1308028875759382528?s=19

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 21, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://bethesda.net/en/article/4IwKWIj174Cb2QNTTtBAEb/todd-howard-on-joining-xbox

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

quote:

Bethesda and Obsidian are now sister studios. Fallout New Vegas 2 is now actually a possibility

Don't give me hope. :negative:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

By popular demand posted:

FWIW I was always impressed with what you guys made in the limited time you got.

Now if I could only blackmail Bethesda somehow to stop loving about with that awful MMO and allow professionally remastered edition of FNV.

Did I make a very specific set of reality shaping wishes and then got blackout drunk and forget?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's weird that Microsoft owning Fallout is actually feeling like a good thing.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

wow holy poo poo lol i wasn't expecting that

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

antidote posted:

It's weird that Microsoft owning Fallout is actually feeling like a good thing.

Considering how creatively bankrupt F76 is it must be.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I wonder how this change in ownership will affect Bethesda's recent-years approach towards microtransactions.

Part of me is genuinely considering whether it might actually get better.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 21, 2020

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

$7,500,000,000 jfc

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

If by the grace of God Obsidian is allowed back into the fallout franchise I will cry real man tears because New Vegas is still my favourite game of all time

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Upmarket Mango posted:

$7,500,000,000 jfc

Just short of 2 Star Wars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Goddamn. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Monopolies aren't my thing but it is the inevitability of this industry.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/1308044609604341763?s=20

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Someone at Microsoft must have really liked Fallout 1 and 2. Between the purchases of inXile, Obsidian, and Bethesda, they now have the IP and most of the original creators, right?

Maybe they just liked Interplay.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Can't wait for the West Coast expansion for Fallout 76 from Obsidian!

Truth is, at this point, while they are under the same company, I'm not sure that will automatically lead to more collaboration, especially given Todd Howard's message made it sound like Bethesda is still a multiplatform company. This is more of a Game Pass acquisition, IMHO.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

pyrotek posted:

Someone at Microsoft must have really liked Fallout 1 and 2. Between the purchases of inXile, Obsidian, and Bethesda, they now have the IP and most of the original creators, right?

Maybe they just liked Interplay.

Yeah they own both Wasteland and Fallout now.

What a wild ride the ownership of these two IPs have seen. Considering Fallout was made because Wasteland 2 couldn't be made at the time due to EA owning it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What a wild ride the ownership of these two IPs have seen. Considering Fallout was made because Wasteland 2 couldn't be made at the time due to EA owning it.

I mean, to be fair, Fallout was more like "oh, we're making a post-apocalyptic RPG, maybe it can be a Wasteland 2? No? Nevermind, we'll make our own IP."

It has a fascinating development history and the take that people really wanted it to be Wasteland 2 is kind of reductive.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Can't wait for Fallout 5 and TES 6 to stop working after three or four years because Microsoft decided to needlessly tie them to an ephemeral online network. *stares angrily at Fable 3*

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Look, obviously this is far away and only a slight possibility... but NEW VEGAS 2 NEW VEGAS 2 NEW VEGAS 2 NEW VEGAS 2

Ropekid, get good and ready. Go backbacking for half a year, take up meditation. I know PoE2 was really hard on you so do whatever you have to do to recharge and when you're feeling good, confident, inspired, and excited GO loving MAKE ME NEW VEGAS 2. Thanks in advance!

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Truth is, at this point, while they are under the same company, I'm not sure that will automatically lead to more collaboration, especially given Todd Howard's message made it sound like Bethesda is still a multiplatform company. This is more of a Game Pass acquisition, IMHO.

How true were the accusations that Bethesda is really salty about how acclaimed New Vegas ended up being?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unfounded conjecture at best. That kind of vitriol would imply a level of petty vindictiveness that Bethesda can't muster up. The only person who acts like an rear end in a top hat publicly is their PR guy. So my argument is that Bethesda is too stupid to be cruel.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m fine with another west coast Fallout, but I don’t really want New Vegas 2 specifically. I’d rather see another part of the country.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Bethesda doesn't have enough creative pride as a whole to care that they get outshined in critical circles in ways most of their audience barely cares about.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

whydirt posted:

I’m fine with another west coast Fallout, but I don’t really want New Vegas 2 specifically. I’d rather see another part of the country.

I assume most people are using "New Vegas 2" as a shorthand for West Coast Fallout. I think a direct sequel would be pretty bad and would do a disservice to the first game by establishing an official, canonical ending for New Vegas.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

“We’re very upset this game we paid for the creation of, and receive the proceeds of any sales of is well regarded”

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Goddamn. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Monopolies aren't my thing but it is the inevitability of this industry.

Microsoft was a threatening monopoly back in the 90s, but now that's counterbalanced by all the other big companies in the industry developing their own massive fiefdoms where they are barely challenged. Microsoft's domination over desktops is less relevant in these days anyways.

Which don't get me wrong, if the antitrust movement came back into existence, I'd love for Microsoft to get broken up, they just wouldn't be the top of my list.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Microsoft has benefits that make them more appealing than EA or Activision as far as potential monopolies go but I still don't trust them on principle.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If that were the case they would have made a deal with Zenimax. You don't buy a company to sit on their back catalog................I hope

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I assume most people are using "New Vegas 2" as a shorthand for West Coast Fallout. I think a direct sequel would be pretty bad and would do a disservice to the first game by establishing an official, canonical ending for New Vegas.

I'm using it to mean any Obsidian fallout (preferably with Sawyer in the lead.) West Coast makes sense -- both to keep two sub-franchises and because that crew has thought more about the West Coast than anywhere else... but if they wanted to do Fallout: British Columbia or whatever I'd be just as excited for that. (Actually, the New Vegas sequel I want to see most would probably take place in the enlightened Idaho Khanate the great Khans carve out if you help them get their poo poo together.)

If Obsidian announced, IDK, Fallout: Charleston or whatever I'd be just as down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Worth noting that, rope kid aside, the creative team at Obsidian is not-insignificantly different from what it was when NV was made. The studio hit rough waters a few times since then. Not to say another Obs Fallout wouldn't be good, but it would be different.