Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i still side with Re-Animator. it still hits all the right spots even after decades since release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I side with Bride, but there's no reason not to love both.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching Troll 2 and it truly is everything I dreamt of. I’m not the only one who thought the dad was going to piss over his kid, right? Didn’t think I’d be typing that sentence tonight.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Watching Troll 2 and it truly is everything I dreamt of. I’m not the only one who thought the dad was going to piss over his kid, right? Didn’t think I’d be typing that sentence tonight.

No you’re not, that’s a classic moment in a movie filled with classic moments. Troll II is special.

edit: Speaking of seeing special movies for the first time, I saw Tetsuo: The Iron Man for the first time a few days ago and honestly wasn’t expecting that much robotic penis. I mean I was expecting a little but it’s really central to the film. I know people talk about movies being like fever dreams a lot but Tetsuo really felt like one to me. Fast paced, confusing and packed with insane imagery.

Are the sequels worth checking out?

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 20, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:love: TODAY, ALL DAY, AND VERY GAY! :love:

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:rip: A very special SUNDAY CHILL STREAM on the CineD Discord :rip:
:spooky: Featuring Blade 2 vs The Devils :spooky:

0710 EST Paul Verhoeven's The Fourth Man
0900 EST Fassbinder's Querelle
1100 EST Les Garcons Sauvages
1300 EST The Neon Demon
1510 EST Knife+Heart
1700 EST Liquid Sky
1900 EST Blade 2
2105 EST The Devils

:swoon: COMING ATTRACTIONS :swoon:

:spooky: The Human Vapor vs Audition, MONDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST The Human Vapor
2110 EST Audition

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you haven’t already watched it you should watch the Documentary “Best Worst Movie” it’s wonderful, Eureka! Released a Blu-Ray of both Troll movies and the documentary it’s a pro purchase.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Random Acts of Violence loving sucked. I literally forgot I watched it until I saw it in the "newly added" section on Shudder again. What a pointless movie.

I did buy the Steelbook of Mandy and am happy to own that. I saw The Color Out of Space got added to Shudder and I've heard good things so I'll be checking that out soon. Avoid Random Acts Of Violence though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gaz2k21 posted:

If you haven’t already watched it you should watch the Documentary “Best Worst Movie” it’s wonderful, Eureka! Released a Blu-Ray of both Troll movies and the documentary it’s a pro purchase.

Yeah it’s a pro watch for sure. Finding out stuff like that one of the cast members was on loan from the local mental institute and that he wanted to murder the child actor is really :discourse:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As bonkers as Bride gets, I feel like Re-Animator is still the one that has the most memorable, classic moments. Also, Barbara Crampton.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Untrustable posted:

Random Acts of Violence loving sucked. I literally forgot I watched it until I saw it in the "newly added" section on Shudder again. What a pointless movie.

I did buy the Steelbook of Mandy and am happy to own that. I saw The Color Out of Space got added to Shudder and I've heard good things so I'll be checking that out soon. Avoid Random Acts Of Violence though.

I watched Random Acts of Violence and Color Out of Space recently. You're right about Random Acts. Pretty lame.

Color Out of Space has some merits, but I found it kinda weak. It's basically 100 minutes of bizarre things happening and characters reacting to them. When everything is weird, nothing is weird.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I watched the Shudder-exclusive Host today. It was interesting, but I didn't enjoy it all that much. I was expecting a little more from it considering the rave reviews it's gotten, I must say. It made cool use of the pandemic/lockdown setting, though. The use of Zoom was especially well-implemented.

Apparently the entire film was produced during the lockdown and the director had to coach the cast and crew through setting up the lighting and effects remotely. That's really impressive, all told.

Has anyone else seen it yet?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gaz2k21 posted:

I started that last night after watching the movie, I love George Hardy more than I thought possible. Throughout the actual movie I was just imagining each scene but with Henry Rollins playing his part in a wig.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

JordanKai posted:

I watched the Shudder-exclusive Host today. It was interesting, but I didn't enjoy it all that much. I was expecting a little more from it considering the rave reviews it's gotten, I must say. It made cool use of the pandemic/lockdown setting, though. The use of Zoom was especially well-implemented.

Apparently the entire film was produced during the lockdown and the director had to coach the cast and crew through setting up the lighting and effects remotely. That's really impressive, all told.

Yes, I watched it yesterday. I too thought it didn’t live up to the hype. Somebody on a normie NPR midday talk show called it a “perfect movie” and I sure wouldn’t go that far. I don’t know why this movie deserves that kind of attention beyond having a novel found footage gimmick that (mostly) works. I thought there were a few times that it was contrived the video would still be on, but in one of the cases I figured out the character was using the screen as an impromptu flashlight. A lot better than most FF.

Honestly dial back on the screamer jump scares and I think it would have been better. I enjoyed it and thought it was effective, but I don’t know why I would ever rewatch it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

JordanKai posted:

It's a solid FF movie with some effective moments, nothing more. I liked it, but the crazy hype is a bit undeserved.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't really feel like it was crazily hyped, at least in this thread. Everyone kind of liked it and thought it was pretty novel.

Perhaps most impressively it doesn't overstay its welcome. If it was longer than an hour it would provide a lot less enjoyment.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think it was hyped because when it came out, it was kind of appropriate for the time. It's an easily consumed hour of spookiness that felt relevant to that exact moment with everyone in quarantine. Plus every horror movie we were anticipating in this thread was being cancelled or delayed, so Host benefited from being the only game in town (same with The Wretched, a perfectly average horror that was the #1 movie in America for months).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The hype felt manufactured. Everyone I know who watched it said it was fine but that’s about it, but the wider picture made it look like it was something unmissable.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I should've been more specific: I meant hype from critics, not from this thread specifically. A lot of critics seemed to be ecstatic about the film when it came out. I know this statistic isn't super relevant to quality, but it does have a 100% fresh rating on RT at the moment.

I did really like the fact that the film is almost exactly an hour long, and that a "this Zoom meeting is ending soon" message pops up exactly 10 minutes before the end of the film.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The best found footage movie is Be My Cat: A Film for Anne :colbert:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Man Bites Dog blocks your path

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Weird way to spell Noroi

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

EL BROMANCE posted:

I started that last night after watching the movie, I love George Hardy more than I thought possible. Throughout the actual movie I was just imagining each scene but with Henry Rollins playing his part in a wig.

Yeah if ever they do a movie like “The Disaster Artist” but for Troll 2 I’m gonna need that casting to happen...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

aware of dog posted:

Weird way to spell Noroi

Noroi isn't even the best Koji Shiraishi found footage movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm hearing a lot of things that aren't Apollo 18

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Noroi isn't even the best Koji Shiraishi found footage movie

Yeah, Occult is better than Noroi

Burkion posted:

I'm hearing a lot of things that aren't Apollo 18

How'd they get the footage? Answer me that one. How'd they get the footage? The movie up to that point was alright, but that ruined it for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It doesn’t matter how they got the footage. What matters is the aliens were stupid rocks

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

How'd they get the footage? Answer me that one. How'd they get the footage? The movie up to that point was alright, but that ruined it for me.

Steven Spielberg took it back with him after the shoot for the fake third moon landing went sideways.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You loving posers talking all about other films that are not Cannibal Holocaust as the greatest found footage film ever

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

You loving posers talking all about other films that are not Cannibal Holocaust as the greatest found footage film ever

If we're playing that game then I'm forced to throw the greatest granddaddy of them all, Orson Well's War of the Worlds

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

Is Cannibal Holocaust actually good? I know it has it's place in history, but like, if you sit down to watch it for the first time now, is it actually a good movie?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Is Cannibal Holocaust actually good? I know it has it's place in history, but like, if you sit down to watch it for the first time now, is it actually a good movie?

It actually quite good but its a experience that will shake you. I've seen it twice. I don't need to see it again. It's a very powerful film. I recommend the UK cut of the film which cuts out the animal violence. The experience isn't any different.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Gripweed posted:

this is true

however i DID just watch jaganrei with some newfound comprehension and it gives koji's whole catalog a run for its money

that is such a loving good, tight movie

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cannibal Holocaust is vastly overhyped in its violence its not really that bad. I think its a good movie even if the animal cruelty makes it suck.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What resources are people using to grab their 31 movies for October?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What resources are people using to grab their 31 movies for October?

Half Price Books

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Burkion posted:

If we're playing that game then I'm forced to throw the greatest granddaddy of them all, Orson Well's War of the Worlds

Uhhhh I’d say that’s more of a documentary, Mr... John Burkion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm going by Director and Genre, so I'll be watching all of the Universal Horror monsters, Hammer Dracula and Hammer Frankenstein, then Roger Corman's Poe series. I mean I think that'll be about 20 films then I'll fill out with stuff like Jaws, and The Exorcist, TCM.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 21, 2020

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

Half Price Books

That's whats up, I wish we had HPB.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

:vince: COMING ATTRACTIONS :vince:

I don't know what The Human Vapor is, but Audition, hoo boy. I actually like it, I think, but that is a rough watch. I've never in my life seen a film that spends its first, I haven't seen it in forever, half hour? looking like a budding romantic comedy or something before going where it goes. Which is why I like it, I guess, but still. It is an unusual film!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Hollismason posted:

I'm going by Director and Genre, so I'll be watching all of the Universal Horror monsters, Hammer Dracula and Hammer Frankenstein, then Roger Corman's Poe series. I mean I think that'll be about 20 films then I'll fill out with stuff like Jaws, and The Exorcist, TCM.

I blind bought Horror of Dracula during a 4 for $44 sale a month ago, I’m really excited to watch it.