Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Why the gently caress would it need to read a sign? Waze/Google Maps/Apple maps all display the speed limit and will literally change when the limit changes the second you pass the new speed limit sign. Outside of some special circumstances (like a reduced speed limit due to construction), this is a solved problem.

purely a guess but probably for the same reason mobileye wouldn't provide them with software to read the signs. i don't think google/apple/waze provide any guarantee their data is accurate and their ToS probably says something like "hey, the speed limit we display isn't necessarily the real speed limit, read the signs dummy"

there's a huge gap in reliability from "good enough to display in waze" and "good enough to let the car base all its own driving decisions off of" and the amount of work to bridge that gap is not really worth it for a map app to put in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

Why the gently caress would it need to read a sign? Waze/Google Maps/Apple maps all display the speed limit and will literally change when the limit changes the second you pass the new speed limit sign. Outside of some special circumstances (like a reduced speed limit due to construction), this is a solved problem.

lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Amazing.

Do you do the wedge an orange in the steering wheel trick with your car as well?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

because humans read signs and lord elon wants FSD to do what humans do with what humans have

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Karl Sharks posted:

because humans read signs and lord elon wants FSD to do what humans do with what humans have

Plank Walker posted:

there's a huge gap in reliability from "good enough to display in waze" and "good enough to let the car base all its own driving decisions off of"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plank Walker posted:

purely a guess but probably for the same reason mobileye wouldn't provide them with software to read the signs. i don't think google/apple/waze provide any guarantee their data is accurate and their ToS probably says something like "hey, the speed limit we display isn't necessarily the real speed limit, read the signs dummy"

there's a huge gap in reliability from "good enough to display in waze" and "good enough to let the car base all its own driving decisions off of" and the amount of work to bridge that gap is not really worth it for a map app to put in

I'm going to add two things, one is I'm sure every state says any operator of a motor vehicle has a legal duty to observe and obey any and all posted traffic signs. Observe does not mean Google's car drove through here a year ago and marked the speed limit as X.

Secondly, at least the Mobileye system in my car works amazingly well, the second you get to a posted speed limit the dashboard updates to display the speed limit. I don't mean the second you can see it, like, the instant you cross the threshold of the sign it updates.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Okay but still then, why the gently caress did the car decide that 150kph was the correct speed? Other than, of course, :tesla:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Gaukler posted:

Okay but still then, why the gently caress did the car decide that 150kph was the correct speed? Other than, of course, :tesla:

Because the way those systems work* is you set the maximum speed you want the vehicle to go.

The driver set it to 150kph.

*at least it did in my FIL's tesla 3 I last drove about 18 months ago for the last time - gently caress that thing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaukler posted:

Like I said, Mobileye and their tech has been around a long time, it's in a shitload of cars now, even becoming standard on even lower end cars. It can do anything from auto-braking for pedestrians, to collision mitigation to very limited self-driving. I don't have the latest version but on the highway I can put on "Traffic Jam Assist" and it will steer, accelerate and come to a full stop and start again under 35 Mph. It was actually kind of nice back when I was driving to work stuck in traffic to pop it on and let it take over for a bit. Next time you are in like a mall parking lot, look around in people's windshield and you will probably see a lot of things that look like cameras under the rearview mirror. Like, really look like cameras, very obviously different from auto-sensing windshield wipers. Yep, it's probably a Mobileye powered camera.

My point is, we very much have widely deployed technology that could keep you from setting cruise control above the speed limit but lol if you think any company could sell a car in the US with it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the guy who exposed tesla's reuse of damaged batteries is about to get hosed by the courts. apparently the swatting wasn't enough for tesla

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

infernal machines posted:

the guy who exposed tesla's reuse of damaged batteries is about to get hosed by the courts. apparently the swatting wasn't enough for tesla

Out of morbid curiosity I checked out the comments. Do not make my mistake, learn from my foolishness

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

i assume whistleblower law only applies if you go to the actual appropriate regulatory agency and not to a journo?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Stefan Prodan posted:

i assume whistleblower law only applies if you go to the actual appropriate regulatory agency and not to a journo?

I mean it rarely works out well, if whatever you do is public enough it can be hard to have a career afterwards because everyone will be afraid you'll dump their dirty laundry

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

which I mean the nicer solution to that is to not have any but yknow capitalism and all that

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

I mean it rarely works out well, if whatever you do is public enough it can be hard to have a career afterwards because everyone will be afraid you'll dump their dirty laundry

that's true, I wonder how that woman from theranos is doing

(the whistleblower one not elizabeth holmes)

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/LieslSchoonraad/status/1304486123314573313

(yes i know they're talking about Nikola Tesla but still :ssh: )

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Red Alert was a documentary.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

ekuNNN posted:

https://twitter.com/LieslSchoonraad/status/1304486123314573313

(yes i know they're talking about Nikola Tesla but still :ssh: )

where are the yeti pubes? not accurate...

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/mattyxb/status/1306992457129828353

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

I'm gonna disrupt the whole concept of ice cream cones by inventing a bowl

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

got linked to a tweet about #batteryday which i guess is tomorrow unveiling the tabless batteries

and just

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

strong rollie energy in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4myjbiSNAA

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

drat now I want a rollie to horrify people with

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Well that is a very specific reaction to doing huge amounts of cocaine for months surrounded by Fleshlights.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Eyyy, I'm cross-postin ere

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Huh, tweet got nuked. This was the core of it:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Could you elaborate for dummies like myself?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://archive.is/https://twitter.com/michaeljburry/status/1307721364392914945

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Coming up as a dead link, he's blitzed his Twitter account.

What an odd coincidence.

I'm no market man, but I think the long and short of it is:

EBIT (earnings before interest and tax) is negative 69m, the rest of the market has a $100b EBIT and 90% of players are positive.

TSLA's revenue is only $25b compared to $2.3t for the rest of the market.

However tsla has a $460b market cap, whereas everyone else has market caps of $834b combined.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

guy shorted the housing market for years despite number incessantly going up due to obvious fraud but the pressure to cave was nothing compared to the pressure to log off

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Coming up as a dead link, he's blitzed his Twitter account.

What an odd coincidence.

I'm no market man, but I think the long and short of it is:

EBIT (earnings before interest and tax) is negative 69m, the rest of the market has a $100b EBIT and 90% of players are positive.

TSLA's revenue is only $25b compared to $2.3t for the rest of the market.

However tsla has a $460b market cap, whereas everyone else has market caps of $834b combined.

yeah it's basically saying that tesla number is too high

which is fine when elon does it but if anyone else says so they're just spreading FUD

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Elon no doubt working hard on the factory floor

quote:

To: Everybody

Date: September 20, 2020 [time: redacted]

Subj. All Hands On Deck!

We have a shot at a record quarter for vehicle deliveries, but will have to rally hard to achieve it. This is the most [sic] number of vehicles per day that we've ever had to deliver.

Please consider vehicle deliveries to be absolute top priority. It's also extremely important that we keep factory output as high as possible over the remaining 10 days. This is vital for the California market.

Thanks for your most excellent efforts,

Elon

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

This looks like a fleshlight.

Can I gently caress it?

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

This may be racist, but I could see this being popular in Japan.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Gods_Butthole posted:

Can I gently caress it?
Only one way to find out!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Gods_Butthole posted:

This looks like a fleshlight.

Can I gently caress it?

once

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

ah, i see someone watched bill & ted recently

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Gods_Butthole posted:

Can I gently caress it?

do you think anyone's going to stop you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

I really shouldn't let these emails effect me anymore but fuuuuuck Elon Musk and Tesla.